Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malwarebytes update question

Options
  • 01-11-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I ran a malwarebytes scan some days ago and updated the version prior to running the scan - I have done this on numerous occasions previously. However, following on this update, I notice that the program automatically checks for updates several times during the day, even when the program is not running. I am using the free version and do not run the real-time scanning option. I checked the settings and disabled or unchecked the boxes for automatic updates etc. etc. Any help or suggestions as to the cause(s) for this change. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If the update service was already running when you you cleared the automatic updates then it will continue to run until you either reboot or stop the service.

Unchecking mustn't stop the service if it is already running.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I'd imagine one of the MBAM updates made this a default setting to make updates faster and easier. Viruses can change quickly so it makes sense for the program to update itself rather than have users potentially using an old update

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

FSL wrote: »
    If the update service was already running when you you cleared the automatic updates then it will continue to run until you either reboot or stop the service.

Unchecking mustn't stop the service if it is already running.

This continues to happen several days after the update, I understand your point, that if you change settings etc, the changes will take effect only after rebotting etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

jsa112 wrote: »
    I'd imagine one of the MBAM updates made this a default setting to make updates faster and easier. Viruses can change quickly so it makes sense for the program to update itself rather than have users potentially using an old update

Do not quite understand your point here, as I am not running the real-time option of Malwarebytes, and as an update is prompted when one selects the scan option, which is usually, every few weeks or months, I do not understand why it is necessary to update every few hours? I must be missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I'm not as familiar with mbam lately, but even without real-time protection it probably does automatic updates for all versions, or even when you think the program is closed, its services are still running(free or otherwise).
    I do not understand why it is necessary to update every few hours?
    An example, MBAM uses heuristics for scanning, this causes a false positive as the virus has counter measures, as a result explorer.exe or some essential file gets deleted, PC wont boot up anymore. You have a load of people reporting their PC wont boot after a scan.

That extra few hours can make a huge difference as the mbam staff are constantly analyzing current malware.

• Advertisement
Advertisement