Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac filtering and timing

Options
  • 01-11-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Hi, I currently have password only access to my WiFi.
    I am looking to switch this to Mac filtering. I want to do so I can restrict certain device at certain times of the day (teenager issues). An example would be to have some devices blocked after 9pm and have others with full access 24/7. It would be nice to be able to set a unique list of available times for each Mac address.
    Can anyone recommend a modem that has this feature built in?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You can do this with TP-Link routers. You can select by mac or ip addresses.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=467

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

degsie wrote: »
    You can do this with TP-Link routers. You can select by mac or ip addresses.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=467

Sorry, only saw this now. Thanks for getting back to me.
    I migrated to Mac filtering yesterday and added the device but it does not seem to have any affect. I did this using the modem software. Maybe that is being overidden by the TP-link boxes I have. They seem to override my open dns security too.

Should I apply all changes through tp-link?
    My setup is currently the modem broadcasting with an Ethernet cable to a tcp-link box plugged in and then a second tp-link box plugged in in another room.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Uhhh. Sounds messy.. I that modem a 'modem' or a router??
    And how are they connected?
    Which ports are being used?

Uhhh. Sounds messy.. I that modem a 'modem' or a router??
    And how are they connected?
    Which ports are being used?

Sorry again about the delay.
    The signal is going into a Zyxel P660-HN-T1A modem which is broadcasting a wireless signal. I have an Ethernet cable coming out of port # 4 in the back of the Zyxel and into the TP-link. I then have another TP-link plugged into the wall in another room and linked to the first. I have set the SSID on the second TP-link to be the same as the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

So you have a daisychained access point setup using the tp-link routers? Mac filtering will only apply to the router serving dhcp addresses which in this case seems to be the zyxel router. Replace that with a router that supports filtering.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    So you have a daisychained access point setup using the tp-link routers? Mac filtering will only apply to the router serving dhcp addresses which in this case seems to be the zyxel router. Replace that with a router that supports filtering.

Many thanks for your help. Could you recommend a good router to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If you are gonna buy a proper router get one with proper parental access control. It will take your teenager all of 5 minutes to bypass mac filtering via a quick google search.

Advertisement