Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop emails

Options
  • 01-11-2014 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all how do I stop receiving on wanted emails

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Hi all how do I stop receiving on wanted emails
    As in spam, what's your email provider and how do you use it (Outlook, web based ect.)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭letterkenny man

advertsfox wrote: »
    As in spam, what's your email provider and how do you use it (Outlook, web based ect.)?

Yeah it's outlook I just really use it for pay slips but keep on geting emails of flybe jd sports stenia line etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Look for the unsubscribe link at the very bottom, small text.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Look for the unsubscribe link at the very bottom, small text.

Be careful, clicking on an unsubscribe link in many cases will simply confirm that your e-mail address is valid in which case you will get promoted to even more spam e-mail lists. Unless the unsubscribe link is pointing to a bona fide website that you recognise, I wouldn't click on it. Hover the mouse over the link and look at the website it's pointing to before you click on it. If you click the link it's too late because in most cases the URL has a code identifying you.

A few years ago there was a female spokesperson from Eircom.net on the radio and she was asked how to deal with spam, her reply was to advise people to send a reply to the spammers asking them not to send any more :eek: I couldn't believe that someone so naive would be put on the radio, we never heard from her again, she was probably put in charge of counting paper clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Only legitimate sources were mentioned here though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Is this an email from your work or Outlook.com?

You can block senders here directly if using MS Outlook on your PC.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-ie/outlook-help/add-a-name-to-the-blocked-senders-list-HP005243402.aspx

Outlook.com instructions here
    http://email.about.com/od/Outlook.com-Tips/qt/How-to-Block-a-Sender-by-Email-Address-in-Outlook-com.htm

Outlook.com and Office 365 is not great at anti-spam despite what they say they do to fight it,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unwanted emails are best stopped at the client.
    Just mark them as spam and any following mails should also just go into the spam folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

If there were NO emails I wanted other than pay-slips then I'd route these into a separate folder and ignore the rest. Every now-and-again I'd go into the Inbox and bin the remaining spam....and empty the bin afterwards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Eph1958 wrote: »
    If there were NO emails I wanted other than pay-slips then I'd route these into a separate folder and ignore the rest. Every now-and-again I'd go into the Inbox and bin the remaining spam....and empty the bin afterwards.

Mark it as junk first and it will save you a lot of hassle, then delete.

Email can be a PITA sometimes though.

Advertisement