Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cappa Villa or Kilmurry:UL Accommodation???

Options
  • 01-11-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Im considering doing PE and Chemistry or Maths next year starting September 2015. If anyone has info on this course that be great :) also, where is the best place to live in regards to quality, near to lectures and social life?? thanks in advance xo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

All the on-campus accommodation are relatively close to anywhere on-campus. Never more than a 15-20 minute away from anywhere. If you are planning on doing PE though, Kilmurry Village is a 5 minute walk from the main building you would be based out of. The check out the quality of the villages you can go to campus life services website.

Cappavilla is better quality bedrooms, but you would be paying more for it. They are all double-ensuites and generally 6 people in an apartment. In Kilmurry you can pick between single/double rooms, but they aren't as large and are not en-suite. Can pick between 6/8 bedrooms apartments there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 claireless

All the on-campus accommodation are relatively close to anywhere on-campus. Never more than a 15-20 minute away from anywhere. If you are planning on doing PE though, Kilmurry Village is a 5 minute walk from the main building you would be based out of. The check out the quality of the villages you can go to campus life services website.
    Cappavilla is better quality bedrooms, but you would be paying more for it. They are all double-ensuites and generally 6 people in an apartment. In Kilmurry you can pick between single/double rooms, but they aren't as large and are not en-suite. Can pick between 6/8 bedrooms apartments there.

I assume thats a 15-20 walk? Is there a big difference in prices? I have a few friends in cappa villa this year, and seeing as im going on my own i would like to stay close to people i know. Would i still be five minutes or so from where I'll need to be for pe? Sorry for all the questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Yeh walking distance. In Cappavilla you'd be about 10-15 minute from most buildings you'd be in. Think there is at least a grand in the difference of the prices but just check out this website for full info: http://www.campuslife.ul.ie/

Thanks I'll have a look! Dyu know anything about the pe course itself, hourse a week or is chemistry still available as an elective, its not in the prospectus of this year as one but it hasnt been mentioned as a course that was dropped and its still up on qualifax!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

claireless wrote: »
    Thanks I'll have a look! Dyu know anything about the pe course itself, hourse a week or is chemistry still available as an elective, its not in the prospectus of this year as one but it hasnt been mentioned as a course that was dropped and its still up on qualifax!

Chemistry as an option is no longer available from 2015.

You should also be aware that PE is no longer a subject under the new Junior Certificate Curriculum being rolled out from this year. It will now be a Short Course, which means it will require 100 hours (as opposed to 200) and schools won't be obliged to offer it necessarily. Most schools probably will, but short courses don't require that teachers be certified in that particular subject (e.g. Short Courses can be offered in Chinese, Programming, Philosophy, essentially anything at all).

It's not clear how that's going to work out yet, but you should definitely take it into account in your decision making.

• Advertisement

Subutai wrote: »
    Chemistry as an option is no longer available from 2015.

You should also be aware that PE is no longer a subject under the new Junior Certificate Curriculum being rolled out from this year. It will now be a Short Course, which means it will require 100 hours (as opposed to 200) and schools won't be obliged to offer it necessarily. Most schools probably will, but short courses don't require that teachers be certified in that particular subject (e.g. Short Courses can be offered in Chinese, Programming, Philosophy, essentially anything at all).

It's not clear how that's going to work out yet, but you should definitely take it into account in your decision making.

Wow, I did not know that. Thank you, I'll take that into consideration!

Advertisement