Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 100 Greatest Annoyances in Motoring

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

54. Speed Camera Vans , parked in areas that have no records of deaths but are on roads that have an incorrect speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

97 people who don't bother to put a number in

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

People who drive 20kph under the speed limit in a 100kph zone but then do the same speed of 80kph as they go the whole way through a 60kph zone. Thats just annoying and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

56. Slow drivers who accelerate as hard as possible when you begin to overtake them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

57. Lack of awareness - people not adjusting speed to the road conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

58. People who believe the man down in the pub who says alfas are crap yet has never owned one! :(

59. Women who decide that driving on a motorway is the perfect place to add mascara to their mask

60. People stopping on the hard shoulder of the motorway so wee Johnny can have a piss. Do they not realise how dangerous it is.

61. Continuous white lines when it's so safe that even a granny in a micra would have time to overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

62. people who stop and park on the road (or pulled half way up the footpath) with hazards just about anywhere " because they are on the phone".....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Champagne flutes not fitting the rear cup holders properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

64. People with bits literally falling off the car.

65. Bald tyre drivers.

66. Children not seat belted in.

67. Civics with HID xenon fitted.

68. People who never clean their windscreen.

69. Those dirty feckers who never clean their car.

• Advertisement

Glad I got 69 in there :-D

70. Those that drive with wing mirrors turned in.

71. People using tablets while driving.

72. That twat that chases you (road rage)

73. Hand gestures. Explicit ones.

74. Gardai not pulling the fool driving dangerously right in front of them.

75. Drivers with kids passing stuff and turning around to them.

76. L plates on car when not learner driving.

77. People who park at bus stops especially taxis as they do this most.

78. Pedestrians running or walking onto road without even a look to see if clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

79. Smokers in a car with the windows up and kids in the back seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

80. On street parking facing against traffic flow.
    81. Indicating and then passing one, two or more junctions before the one they actually turn off on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

82. Overly considerate drivers. Travelling along at 60km/h when the clown in front jumps on the brakes to let someone out of a side road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    47. People being asses to L drivers and L Drivers when they are clearly on a lesson.

48. Not merging like a zip. 'I think I'll try to merge here, 300 metres before my lane ends'

49. People who let lane jumpers in. Drive on and leave the b*****ds where they are.

Are 48 and 49 contradictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Driving with full beams on a motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

83. People who assume that just because I'm towing a trailer that I'm holding up traffic terribly...and insist on passing me at a dangerous point in the road, even though I'm doing 80k on a stretch of road with an 80k limit...all the ffuppin time.. they owe me brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Del2005 wrote: »

No don't think so:

48. when you are coming onto the motorway, and merge into the lane way before the slip road ends (don't know why that's so bad if its safe to do so? Wouldn't consider it one of my pet hates unless they cut right across you)

49. lane jumpers: say if there's an exit coming up and one lane is hardly moving, some drivers don't feel like waiting in traffic drive along the free lane and then attempt to push in up further. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

76. L plates on car when not learner driving.

maybe someone else driving car

you expect them to remove L plates everytime someone with a full licence drives the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

idiots passing you out frantically only to pull over and take the next exit....like why????!!! the .1 seconds gained must be of vital importance to them.

• Advertisement

maybe someone else driving car

you expect them to remove L plates everytime someone with a full licence drives the car

Yes because they are not a learner really takes away from the point of having them.

There is also a reason they sell magnet backing ones as easy to take off put on... plus window ones easily done also but some always put L upside down..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Yes because they are not a learner really takes away from the point of having them.

There is also a reason they sell magnet backing ones as easy to take off put on... plus window ones easily done also but some always put L upside down..

It's a stupid system anyway. "Ah shur you failed your test, drive home there with your L plate and get better". The "N" plate is another silly policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Drivers unaware of the rules of the road, especially regarding right of way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

84 You park in an empty carpark at the furthest space from the entrance and when you return to the still empty carpark you find some absolute dick parked millimetres from your passenger door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Worse are the ones that cut all the white away from the sticker leaving just the red L. Cannot bloody see it then. Why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

This is one of your greatest annoyances on the road? How is this really affecting you? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

84 Turn off your drls and fogs at night..maybe your rear fogs too..maybe read their descriptions!
    85 Don't pull right in in front of me on the motorway when I am doing 120,in the rain, so you can cover me in spray, when there is no other car for miles
    86 Please indicate on roundabouts..sure everyone knows where you are going..we love a bit of Russian roulette.

This is one of your greatest annoyances on the road? How is this really affecting you? :confused:

Well was just observation and could give a load more but think would have to start a new thread as dont want to take over op's.

Why is there any need for L or N if this is what happens and it does by the way.

You should not be able to drive a car on the road unless with a instructor and thats it.
    So many driving 10 years and more on learner/provisional.

You should be trainned in all conditions and on motorways and especially roundabouts as that is one thing that should be done away with here as nobody knows how to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

64. People with bits literally falling off the car.

65. Bald tyre drivers.

66. Children not seat belted in.

67. Civics with HID xenon fitted.

68. People who never clean their windscreen.

a clean car is the sign of a sick mind......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Del2005 wrote: »
    Nope, merge like a zip is correctly using the driving lane all the way to end. Plenty of merges in Dublin where two driving lanes go back to one but some people try to get into the left lane early. It confuses me why they do this

Lane jumpers are using a bus lane or less congested lane to skip a queue of traffic. Junction 2 on the N3 north is a good one. Left lane always moves faster than the right turn only lane and the odd time someone tries to barge in at the top of the right turn lane.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

87. People who drive into their driveways and then have reverse out next time onto a busy road with poor visibility - is "reverse in, drive out" really that hard?
    88. My children who, within about 90 seconds of entering, turn the car into a faithful reproduction of the Do Long Bridge scene in Apocalypse Now;
    89. People who treat their foglights as DLRs.
    90. Speed limit signs indicating a change from 50 to 60 immediately before a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

To be fair, There's no point in cleaning your car with this weather we're having the last few days, Mine is destroyed from back roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

91 The Mammy in the passenger seat
    92 The Mammy borrowing your car
    93 The Mammy calling in a panic ten minutes later after spinning it on a roundabout
    94 Passengers in general, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

95. Nurbergring stickers on cars that have never been or ever will be plus those baby on board, fairy dust power and so on.

96. Lane hoppers .

97. Me ive said too much ✈

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

95A The person with the 'Baby on board sticker' driving like a cnut. I have never seen one of these on a car where the driver is not doing something stupid.

98 LANE PLACEMENT - in general and see below.

(OMFG - Lane 2 on Westmorland Street bridge remains lane 2 all the way on to Nassau Street its not Bus lane, lane 2 OT lane and another OT lane. If you are going to speed off on the right and cut back in at least have the common decency to actually speed off)

99 Taxi drivers - You are professional drivers! Don't block the road, don't block the path and learn to sodding indicate. Also don't speed down the left hand side of me in my little Fiat 500, realise that I'm at least 10KPH over the speed limit then sit in my blind spot for 2KM coming into town and then get in a tizzy because I cut across you where the bus lane ends.

Which brings me nicely to 100

White Van Men.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

49 shouldn't bother you Messy. You've got to try and chill a bit my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

101 Buffer overflows
    102 Garda Checkpoints

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

103: Driving a car-van and having every second Garda ask you where's your NCT disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

103. Driver in front has their rear wiper on and it hasn't rained in a week. When was the last time you looked in your mirror?

104. Drivers not holding their line on roundabouts. As in, one car going right, car next to it going straight ahead and almost pushing first car off the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Merge onto motorway, where there has been 100m of clear Road in which they could've merge but the run to the end of the merge forcing people to change lane or slam on.

Land Rover drivers, generally find them "kind and considerate" my arss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

105 Where people are forced to change lanes abruptly into a long line of cars going straight ahead because they suddenly discover that the lane they are in is a left turn only lane because the council have not marked them properly if at all and the people do not have the local knowledge because they are new in town.

Correcting this mistake costs time and holds up the traffic in the correct lane and some of them miss getting through the lights due to the delay. Also causes aggravation to queing drivers behind the mistake maker because they think he is skipping the queue.

Fitzwilliam street outbound and Kimmage road inbound are notorious examples of this also the junction near Rom Masseys undertakers on the SCR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Especially around the Embassy belt and such places in South City Dublin which can cause delays aggravation and accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Mamils and other self righteous pricks on bikes that bleat on about motorists not paying attention to/giving them enough room on the road, then picking and choosing what rules of the road apply to them. Red lights, yielding at roundabouts etc.

I'm not saying all cyclists are idiots, but a lot of idiots seem to cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Getting petrol at one of the motorway services and going in to have your lunch before coming back to the car!!

I was overtaken on the motorway this morning over a period of 5 miles, 2 miles slightly behind me, 1 mile beside me, and another 2 miles around 300m in front of me. That wasn't particularly annoying just entertaining. Bear in mind my speed didn't change during the entire manoeuvre!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

10X (number?) - people that switch lanes in the Jack Lynch Tunnel - there's a continuous white line there for a reason people, it's a hole under a river and dangerous

10X+1 - nervous drivers that brake every time a car comes towards them on a back road, if you're that nervous, you shouldn't be driving

10X+2 - gonks that pull onto a 100kph road at 40 and stay at 40, causing every car behind them to brake suddenly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

People who edge so far forward that they can't see when the filter light for left turn has turned green.

First Up wrote: »
    People who edge so far forward that they can't see when the filter light for left turn has turned green.

The above number + A

People who don't understand filters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement