Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 100 Greatest Annoyances in Motoring

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

*Kol* wrote: »
    I was overtaken on the motorway this morning over a period of 5 miles, 2 miles slightly behind me, 1 mile beside me, and another 2 miles around 300m in front of me.

That makes no sense to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Fellas pulling trailers with no indicators, happens all the times down this way and very dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Let me kick off the list. Shouldn't be long reaching 100. :D

1. Prepay fuel pumps. Some of us like to top it up to the brim so that we can workout miles per gallon quite easily. More than that, if you pay for more than can fit in your tank, you lose the extra you've paid for. I see more and more stations doing this because of drive offs.

Seeing as we have hit the 100 the above is simply not true. Request 100 at pump, hang pump up when full (eg 80) and receive the balance back into your credit/debit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

106 People who park in a disabled spot without a permi.
    107 Able bodied people abusing a parking permit

108 Aggressive drivers who show little consideration to others, make huge issues out of inconsequential trivia and instead blast their horns and plough on like self-righteous clowns on a divinely inspired mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

109: Drivers that ignore right of way on both roundabouts and when driving against parked cars on their side. Numptys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

110: Driving along, trying to light a fag with a match, it falls on your nuts and you spill your beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

111: People who turn right (breaking a red light) because there is a green arrow pointing ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

112: Bus lanes that end 10m away from a left turn and generally 30m of cars need to queue at the junction to turn left.

You either ignore the bus lane and queue in it to turn left.

Or you follow the rules of the road and don't enter the bus lane until it ends in which case you won't be able to get into the left lane because everybody else on the road is following the first option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

113: People who think that the gap I leave so I have a safe stopping distance is a gap I've reserved for them to pop into.

Happens every day on the M50. If you leave anything bigger than a car length somebody will pop into it as they're coming out of a lane on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Craazysteve

114: Backwards/Sidewards/Upside-down L Plates. If you can't even get a sticker on correctly, you really shouldn't be on the roads.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

115 - The idiots who veer across you without bothering to indicate
    116 - Impatient gobsh*tes who overtake around bad bends when you just can't see what's coming the other way
    117 - Clowns that fly it towards junctions instead of gradually reducing speed making you think they'll come out in front of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

EazyD wrote: »
    109: Drivers that ignore right of way on both roundabouts and when driving against parked cars on their side. Numptys

Lol, that's easily 99.99% of the drivers...I swear I had some visitor asking if the rule was reversed here, as in the driver with parked cars/obstacles on their lane get right of way!

Adding:

118. Parent & Child parking spaces;

119. Dual carriageway/motorway drivers who think putting the indicator on suspends the laws of physics, wait until the car trying to overtake them is 5 meters away and then pull on the lane themselves;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

120. People who creep up to a red light hoping it will change to green before they come to a complete stop. You have no choice but to creep up behind them or you end up looking like an idiot leaving a big gap in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

121. The existence of cyclists

122. Windows fogging up

123. Potholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

110: Driving along, trying to light a fag with a match, it falls on your nuts and you spill your beer.

...all over your breakfast roll and then short out your electric razor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

125. People stopping on a main road to let me out of a side road (that's otherwise completely empty) when they're about to turn right into said side road anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

126: When people overtake you dangerously and speed off into the distance in order to justify overtaking you and you come to the next town only to find them in the car in front of you stuck in traffic.

127: On a 100km/h stretch, the car in front of you is doing 50km/h and brakes every few seconds and you have no chance to overtake them

128: The people who come against you when you badly need to overtake the aforementioned brakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

The woman who double parked today who turned into psycho because I parked 'too close' to her boot. After calling me all manner of names she said she would beat me up & she then ran into reception of the building demanding they call 'The Police'

Parking warden comes out & tells her to move her car, at this point she has her finger pointed in my face. Unfortunately for her I don't suffer fools gladly.

When she was leaving I nearly fell out of the car laughing when a large Transit van pulled into the space she could not fit her car into!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

When there are a group of cyclists who instead of doing the obvious and logical thing of cycling 1 behind each other decide its a great idea to cycle 2 or 3 wide taking up the whole fcuking road and always seem to meet them on a twisty stretch of road and they havnt the brains to pull in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives me mad!

You're right Connor. They've got a bloody cheek doing that. When I was a cyclist I did everything I could to make myself as little a hindrance to motor vehicles as possible. Some of the assholes out there now seem to be doing everything they can to make themselves a bloody obstacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

People need to chill the fcuk out..

Road rage is probably my biggest annoyance.. Can't we all just get along and accept that people make mistakes.. a lot! None of us are infallible..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Cheensbo wrote: »
    People need to chill the fcuk out..

Road rage is probably my biggest annoyance.. Can't we all just get along and accept that people make mistakes.. a lot! None of us are infallible..

Mistakes are one thing; selfish, inconsiderate and downright dangerous behaviour is something else.

Dozing in the middle lane on the M50 isn't a "mistake". Driving around for weeks on one headlight isn't a "mistake". Forcing other drivers to adapt to your reckless or selfish behaviour isn't a "mistake".

Driving standards in Ireland are closer to 3rd world levels than those of an advanced country.

First Up wrote: »
    Driving standards in Ireland are closer to 3rd world levels than those of an advanced country.

No they are not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What are we at: 132 / 133 above ^^?

Anywhoo, all but one of mine has been mentioned so what's left is
    #134 : Kamikaze Crows; Birds in general risking vital seconds on the road to eat what they want off it before I reach the point where they are eating.

Yup, that's all my annoyances mentioned now,
    Thanks to the others,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

No they are not!

Well I disagree. You see stuff here on a daily basis that would have you off the road in a flash in Germany, Scandinavia, the US/Canada or even the UK. (Northern Ireland excepted.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Don't want to turn this into a cyclist bashing thread but......
    If the RSA ran an ad telling they do not have the right to pass on the left in every instance that would be a great. See many planks passing a car already turning left and then mouthing at the driver for not seeing them

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Well I disagree. You see stuff here on a daily basis that would have you off the road in a flash in Germany, Scandinavia, the US/Canada or even the UK. (Northern Ireland excepted.)

Ever drive in south-east asia? (My only first hand experience of +-3rd world driving)

Wouldn't even call most of the region 3rd world, yet, most people don't even have lights fitted to their "vehicles" let alone working lights. Motorways can have people driving in all directions on all lanes, roundabouts are bedlam, overtaking is best performed on tight bends when the vehicle in front momentarily slows down.

Yes a lot of people have afwul habits & make mistakes, and sometimes as you said above, don't maintain their cars correctly or follow etiquette and the ror perfectly, but it's a hell of a lot beyond 3rd world standard!

And we are coming to the time of year when Irish drivers demonstrate their ineptitude in icy conditions and snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

kerry4sam wrote: »
    What are we at: 132 / 133 above ^^?

Anywhoo, all but one of mine has been mentioned so what's left is
    #134 : Kamikaze Crows; Birds in general risking vital seconds on the road to eat what they want off it before I reach the point where they are eating.

Yup, that's all my annoyances mentioned now,
    Thanks to the others,
    kerry4sam

That gave me a good laugh! :D

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Seen far worse stuff in the USA then here in Ireland. If you think its near third world countries standard you're in for a shock.

Ever drive in south-east asia? (My only first hand experience of +-3rd world driving)

Wouldn't even call most of the region 3rd world, yet, most people don't even have lights fitted to their "vehicles" let alone working lights. Motorways can have people driving in all directions on all lanes, roundabouts are bedlam, overtaking is best performed on tight bends when the vehicle in front momentarily slows down.

Yes a lot of people have afwul habits & make mistakes, and sometimes as you said above, don't maintain their cars correctly or follow etiquette and the ror perfectly, but it's a hell of a lot beyond 3rd world standard!
    It depends where in SE Asia. Vietnam, Indonesia and rural Malaysia are hairy but I wouldn't call them advanced countries. Nobody puts a foot (or a wheel) wrong in Singapore.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Seen far worse stuff in the USA then here in Ireland. If you think its near third world countries standard you're in for a shock.

Again I disagree. I've lived in the US and driven in about 15 US States and driving there is a breeze. Extremely law abiding and strictly policed.

It depends where in SE Asia. Vietnam, Indonesia and rural Malaysia are hairy but I wouldn't call them advanced countries. Nobody puts a foot (or a wheel) wrong in Singapore.

Cambodia, Laos, most parts of thailand also.. They're not 'advanced' per-se but they aren't 3rd world and the standards of driving are immeasurably worse than Ireland, Singapore is considerably advanced to be fair.. Not sure of your point here, but mine is that irish driving standards are nothing close to 3rd world standard.

Back to annoyances, my vehicles inability to do more than 100kmh without screaming at me :pac:

Cambodia, Laos, most parts of thailand also.. They're not 'advanced' per-se but they aren't 3rd world and the standards of driving are immeasurably worse than Ireland, Singapore is considerably advanced to be fair.. Not sure of your point here, but mine is that irish driving standards are nothing close to 3rd world standard.

Back to annoyances, my vehicles inability to do more than 100kmh without screaming at me :pac:

It is probably an exaggeration to say Irish driving is 3rd world standard but you see behaviour here that reminds me more of the back roads of rural China than it does of the streets of Frankfurt, Manchester or Philadelphia.

Part of the problem is that in the "real" 3rd world. nobody expects it to be any different. Nose in front is a rule of the road everywhere from Lagos to Hanoi to Calcutta. But here we are supposed to be operating to higher standards - and we often don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Mistakes are one thing; selfish, inconsiderate and downright dangerous behaviour is something else.

Dozing in the middle lane on the M50 isn't a "mistake". Driving around for weeks on one headlight isn't a "mistake". Forcing other drivers to adapt to your reckless or selfish behaviour isn't a "mistake".

Having driven around in Kenya for a wee while I'd take their driving style any day! The indicating was hilarious - no one made a move without indicating. I literally had a guy make a decision to cut across me with less than 6" to spare - he made the decision with less than a second to spare and still indicated. I was too busy laughing for it to worry me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Being caught behind someone on a twisty country road who won't switch to full lights..... Gets on my wick..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Drivers who have their main beams on.. You flash them multiple times and they still have them on.

It should be part of the driving test to learn what everything does inside your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

135. People who change cars to 'go up the years' but buy exactly the same car they already had
    136. People who buy a diesel for the 'cheap tax'
    137. People who buy poverty spec cars
    138. People who don't understand the 'keep left' rule, and who think there's such a thing as a 'fast lane'
    139. Motor tax on pre 2008 cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Driver here is not so bad, I see many of the same complaints from forums from Australia and America.

One thing I dislike are drivers in the wrong lane for going straight, they know they are in the wrong but they dont care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

140. Tractors, Excavators etc. doing 20 km/h in the middle lane. Let's say that the fact they're not legally forbidden from coming anywhere near a Motorway or N road is complete and utter idiocy; But as long as they are allowed to happily stroll about, just stay in the left lane FFS!

As for the poor driving standards, they are simply different from what you would find in a "third world" country: in the latter, there would be no rule at all and everything is in complete chaos.

Ireland has the opposite issue: most drivers are afraid, insecure and inconsiderate due to poor training or none at all; Mix in an interpretation of the rules which is both too strict and self-righteous, and you obtain the formula for the perfectly orderly madness we see on the roads.

Doing 50 km/h in the middle lane on a motorway? "Shure the law says I can, I'm safe!"; Pulling in the overtaking lane without even looking? "Feck it I'm doing 100, if anybody is going faster it's their fault! Oh and I indicated!". An on and on and on...

There is more than enough bad driving on the M50 at any hour of the day to merit the continuous presence of a couple of patrol cars. They could also book a few hundred cars a night for broken lights. However they seem to be happier to sit in places like the Stillorgan Rd and catch people doing 72 in the 60 sections and then go home for their tea.

People need to chill the fcuk out..Road rage is probably my biggest annoyance.. Can't we all just get along and accept that people make mistakes.. a lot! None of us are infallible..

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Red light breakers in Dublin. It's gone so bad. Some junctions now drivers are braking the red light so late, the pedestrian light is orange.

Again I disagree. I've lived in the US and driven in about 15 US States and driving there is a breeze. Extremely law abiding and strictly policed.

Man I don't know how you can say that having complained about lane discipline in Ireland. Its non-existent in America!

Jesus. wrote: »
    Man I don't know how you can say that having complained about lane discipline in Ireland. Its non-existent in America!

Never found that to be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Bus lane undertakers.

If it's outside of the bus lane hours it doesn't bother me in the slightest as they're well entitled to it but someone who drivers down the bus lane to a set of lights and then takes off at speed so they can merge into the correct lane and skip 20+ cars......it's just so annoying....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

Caliden wrote: »
    Bus lane undertakers.

If it's outside of the bus lane hours it doesn't bother me in the slightest as they're well entitled to it but someone who drivers down the bus lane to a set of lights and then takes off at speed so they can merge into the correct lane and skip 20+ cars......it's just so annoying....

Yep, no greater satisfaction than seeing some fecker getting pulled over by the Gardai for that. SCR coming up to the Brazen head is rife with it. Road is narrow enough and one idiot comes along to skip the traffic thus holding up the 100 odd people on the bus behind him/her. So selfish.

Speaking of the Gardai, the fact that they can park the squad car anywhere they choose even double yellow lines for emergencies like ooh I don't know running in to get lunch in Centra.

Also, people who deliberately stay in the wrong lane just because it's moving faster in traffic and then rely on someone letting them in to the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Drivers who won't pull into overtaking lane if it's empty to let traffic merge from the left on a Motorway slip road.

Lane hoggers who immediately pull back out into the overtaking lane on the motorway as soon as I've overtaken them.

Drivers who duck straight left into the hard shoulder on a 2way road when I go to overtake on a clear stretch. I've been stuck behind you the last 4 miles where you could've safely done the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Lazy c*nts who feel the need to park on double yellows outside a shop/chipper, despite there being amble legal parking less than 50 metres away.

Specifically here!!

Similarly, taxis who set up unofficial taxi ranks blocking half the road (incidentally, around the corner at here this happens every night - the 24-hour shop selling coffee has something to do with that - also not the daytime lazy c*nts parked on double yellow despite there being legal parking just down the road and just around the corner :mad:)

Advertisement