Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteer Work

Options
  • 01-11-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I turned 18 last week and was considering volunteer work. I'm finishing my leaving cert this year and will be going to college for the follow few years but thought it might be a good idea to do some volunteer work/work experience sort of thing to improve my cv and maybe even improve my work contacts to help actually getting me a job. It's almost impossible to get a job nowadays without knowing someone or a decent bit of previous experience, regardless of suitability for the job. I know retail jobs are fairly common in comparison to most jobs but I'd prefer some beneficial experience with regards to what I want to do after college in hopes of getting a paid internship while finishing my degree to get a head start.

Although i'm limited to weekends there must be something I can do. I'd be looking for more science based experience maybe lab/hospital or even animal care of some sort. Is there even any sort of volunteer work eligible to a student in my situation? I was looking for opinions on the benefits/negatives of this and how plausible would a long term placement be?

Pretty vague question but any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Try the hotels for weekend work. They'll be busy coming up to the years end!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I turned 18 last week and was considering volunteer work. I'm finishing my leaving cert this year and will be going to college for the follow few years but thought it might be a good idea to do some volunteer work/work experience sort of thing to improve my cv and maybe even improve my work contacts to help actually getting me a job. It's almost impossible to get a job nowadays without knowing someone or a decent bit of previous experience, regardless of suitability for the job. I know retail jobs are fairly common in comparison to most jobs but I'd prefer some beneficial experience with regards to what I want to do after college in hopes of getting a paid internship while finishing my degree to get a head start.

Although i'm limited to weekends there must be something I can do. I'd be looking for more science based experience maybe lab/hospital or even animal care of some sort. Is there even any sort of volunteer work eligible to a student in my situation? I was looking for opinions on the benefits/negatives of this and how plausible would a long term placement be?

Pretty vague question but any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Excellent idea! What are you going to study in college if you don't mind me asking? Have no idea about lab work but you should look in Waterford SPCA... I'm sure they would be delighted to have you as a volunteer and its very rewarding work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I do some volunteering work in the city, I'm 19 and a guy and see where your're coming from. The volunteering I do is only in the summer months, but it completely changed my outlook in life and I've met like 50+ incredible dedicated people. . When I started at first I thought it would be boring and it wasn't in a field of work that I'd thought i'd be suited to, but once I got started I had a fantastic time.

If you are interested in learning more, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 stevefennelly

Excellent idea! What are you going to study in college if you don't mind me asking? Have no idea about lab work but you should look in Waterford SPCA... I'm sure they would be delighted to have you as a volunteer and its very rewarding work :D

Well, honestly, i've no idea. I'm keeping my options open until I can be sure what my options even are. Provided I get a loan I'll be looking to go to go away up the country and I can do anything, if not, i'll have to go to the W.I.T which limits my options a lot.

With regards to SPCA, i'll go check that out! Completely slipped my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

There are a million opportunities for volunteering here, you just need to think about what you like and what direction you might like to go in the future. Once you have something more concrete in mind, then it'll be easy to find a place to volunteer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

F**k the idea of volunteering! If you intend going further in your education you'll need hard cash to pay for it & all the little extras that come along with it. Volunteering doesn't pay the bills no matter what anyone says!
    Don't be an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

F**k the idea of volunteering! If you intend going further in your education you'll need hard cash to pay for it & all the little extras that come along with it. Volunteering doesn't pay the bills no matter what anyone says!
    Don't be an idiot.

idiotic post more like, you should behave like your username suggests

• Registered Users Posts: 43 stevefennelly

Don't be an idiot.

I'm quite aware of the fact "volunteer" work doesn't pay.. I'm hardly looking for unpaid work to pay my bills and considering I mentioned I was looking for a job that was completely unnecessary. I'm just looking for something new, a bit of real experience and hopefully a look at a potential career along the way.. Thanks for the advice anyway..

Advertisement