Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water protest discussion and demos

Options
  • 01-11-2014 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

Big enough turnout for the march/protest today. A notable difference in the demographic (to me anyway) - much broader it seems.
    Pics on FB on the GA page

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

99% of the marchers will pay. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭billy100

I think the water charges are necessary. The system is ancient and there is something like 50% leather lost through leaks, I think this massive protest should have bee done 3 years ago when the property tax came in. Water we need and need to protect it and look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

billy100 wrote: »
    I think the water charges are necessary. The system is ancient and there is something like 50% leather lost through leaks, I think this massive protest should have bee done 3 years ago when the property tax came in. Water we need and need to protect it and look after it.

Many (I can't speak for everyone unlike the poster who claimed they can ;)) on the march agree that of course the infrastructure needs to be supported financially (many will argue they have been paying for it already), and people be aware of how much a good water system costs. It is the current model and its lack of transparency that has tipped the scale and prompted many of the protests. The sheer confusion around who will pay what, for how long, the back stepping of the government, and the dithering have all made much of the Irish Public lose confidence (if they ever had any) in Irish Water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

the people have had enough, simple, they've had enough of irish water and lots more, this is just the straw that broke the camels back and it's only the start of it, 5km of a march today, up to 10,000 marching in the pi$$ing rain, taking over topaz bohermore for 10 minutes, converging in the Square afterwards, roll on the next Dublin protests :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Was it not just a big rain dance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

the people have had enough, simple, they've had enough of irish water and lots more, this is just the straw that broke the camels back and it's only the start of it, 5km of a march today, up to 10,000 marching in the pi$$ing rain, taking over topaz bohermore for 10 minutes, converging in the Square afterwards, roll on the next Dublin protests :)
    2-3000 according to all local media sources, more massaging of figures again.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Figures seem to be edited on all sides. If I wasn't present, I try to read a bunch of different sources to get an overall picture.
    I would have said closer to 5K perhapse even 6K today, but I find it hard to tell in the narrower streets as the crowd stretches a good bit

GA, Independent, Tribune and RTE suggested 2-3000.

GA, Independent, Tribune and RTE suggested 2-3000.

Apologies, my bad. I was doing 3 things online at the same time:rolleyes: I just reread my own post. I meant to say 3-4K (Still higher than reported). Again this was just my take on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Annoyed me how this was billed as a "Protest Rally against the Water Charges & Privatisation" - confusing the mater by tagging privatisation onto the end. Irish Water is a public utility, looking at some signs it seems many people don't get that.

Remember remember the 5th of November, lets show Denis O Brien we're going to take down all his business interests until he disbands Irish Water and return the money he owes us!!

Fresh from todays successful protest, the biggest in a very long time in Gaillimh, we should strike while the iron's hot and put them under more pressure asap.

People are asked to gather from 12.00pm to 06.05pm. Lots of us live near a topaz and could drop down for an hour or 2 to show support. The 3 stations in know that are company owned are College Rd, Bohermore and Newcastle. I'm not sure about the westside Those driving could park their cars on the forecourts and join the picket line, we've got shelter from the rain if we need it and bottomless coffee on Denis :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1493991254196540/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Remember remember the 5th of November, lets show Denis O Brien we're going to take down all his business interests until he disbands Irish Water and return the money he owes us!!

Fresh from todays successful protest, the biggest in a very long time in Gaillimh, we should strike while the iron's hot and put them under more pressure asap.

People are asked to gather from 12.00pm to 06.05pm. Lots of us live near a topaz and could drop down for an hour or 2 to show support. The 3 stations in know that are company owned are College Rd, Bohermore and Newcastle. I'm not sure about the westside Those driving could park their cars on the forecourts and join the picket line, we've got shelter from the rain if we need it and bottomless coffee on Denis :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1493991254196540/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

So shut them down and put people out of a job what rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Storm 10 wrote: »

plus, their coffee is too nice.

Storm 10 wrote: »

because people are fired everywhere there's a 6 hour protest going on? cop yourself on

because people are fired everywhere there's a 6 hour protest going on? cop yourself on

ehhhh...your thread is titled Shut Down Galways Topaz Stations. Should we also picket the FAI and start burning our Celtic Jerseys? This is a man with his fingers in many pies that we're talking about, so lets try to keep any protesting focused on the issue in hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

dan hibiki wrote: »
    plus, their coffee is too nice.

Parcel Motel too.

dan hibiki wrote: »
    ehhhh...your thread is titled Shut Down Galways Topaz Stations. Should we also picket the FAI and start burning our Celtic Jerseys? This is a man with his fingers in many pies that we're talking about, so lets try to keep any protesting focused on the issue in hand.

it does and that's exactly the message we want to get across the Denis that of he keeps us his IW nonsense the people are going to hit him where it hurts. this is a temporary protest, a few hours to get a point across but who knows what's ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What has Denis O'Brien got to do with Irish Water? Afaik, he owns a company that supplies a service to IW. Nothing more. Are you going to take action against the companies that supply them with coffee, printer toner, PR services etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Water charges are necessary if the country wants to be able to be self sustainable.

Afaik, the country still needs ~ 10-12 Billion every year from borrowings to actually run the country.

If water charges don't come in then the taxpayers (as usual) probably have to foot the bill with extra income tax, and then the people who pay next to no tax get off paying nothing.

Nobody likes paying any taxation but how else will the hole be plugged?

Everyone should have to contribute something imo. I personally know two guys who are huge protesters of any water/property charge being introduced, and yet they haven't worked a day in 6/7 years through choice. It's people like that that irk me. If you are unable to work for medical reasons etc fair enough, but anyone choosing the social welfare schemes should have their payments slashed heavily.

The country is too generous to leeches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

... lets show Denis O Brien we're going to take down all his business interests until he disbands Irish Water and return the money he owes us!!

It's that sort of incoherent nonsensical rambling that does the anti-water charge movement such a disservice. Who with an ounce of sense would want to be associated with such tripe? It's a pity that there wasn't some courageous intelligent leadership for this movement.

Water is a precious national resource. What Denis O'Brien has to do with it in any real sense is anyone's guess, probably best suited to tin foil hat wearing loons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Must be nice to have 6hrs free to hang around drinking coffee on a Wednesday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Funny, but I had no difficulty walking down Shop St while the marchers were walking up.

And by 3pm this is all was left in the Square.

DSC_1622%25257E2.jpg

it does and that's exactly the message we want to get across the Denis that of he keeps us his IW nonsense the people are going to hit him where it hurts. this is a temporary protest, a few hours to get a point across but who knows what's ahead

If you are going to protest at Topaz, be sure to have a coffee while you're there, and maybe a cup of cop-on. You're just looking for an excuse to cause disruption and hardship to peoples day. I'm all for being pro-active in defending a cause that you believe in, but in a sensible and adult manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Protesting at Topaz? Thats just embarressing tbh.

Who's bright idea was that?

Funny, but I had no difficulty walking down Shop St while the marchers were walking up.

I think it depended on timing. There were actually two separate groups marching.

Here is a pic from Spanish Arch meeting up (via GA page).

24xntkp.jpg

DSC_1622%25257E2.jpg

Go away with your truth and actual photographic evidence will you, you cant make conspiracies out of that.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I didn't see the Galway march at first hand, though I did see RTE's coverage of the nation-wide protests on the news.

Right2Water is a sizeable movement, so I suspect it will have a political impact.

I am in favour of economic incentives to reduce wastage of treated water, so I sincerely hope the government will not cave in and respond in a knee-jerk manner. Decades of populist politics has made a mess of this country, imo.

Water metering is justified, in my opinion, but I would agree that the Uisce Eireann quango is a disaster. The latest news that will undoubtedly inflame public anger is the revelation about pay increases: http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1102/656367-irish-water/

Privatisation should also be prevented at all costs.

Having said that, I think many of the protesters who featured on RTE's coverage were talking utter nonsense. The heavy rain during the marches only served to reinforce some of them in their belief that the water coming into their homes simply falls from the sky in abundance and therefore should be free. It seems to have escaped their notice that (a) there is nothing to prevent them collecting free rainwater if they want, and (b) what they are in fact using in their homes is treated water which requires public infrastructure to collect and distribute.

A few weeks ago there was another protester on Prime Time who tried to equate the public water supply with the air we breathe. That's just delusional, in my view.

EDIT I just happened to see this Boards thread, which might be of interest: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057319177

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »

I agree with every sentence, except that one.

Whenever anyone tells me how bad privatised water is, I ask them whether we should also nationalise the food industry. Food is, after, equally necessary for human survival. And it's inappropriate use is leading to world-wide deaths by the million, as so many people have either too little or too much.

These conversations never last for long :)

If you said 'should we nationalise the beet industry' then it might be a more comparable conversation :)

Wait...don't mention the beet...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

My wife and I marched yesterday. The timing of the above photo was very misleading for crowd size during the event. Can someone put up a photo of the March when it went up Dominick Street and across Bridge Street please, that will give a more accurate assessment of the peak of the crowd numbers. I was at Eamonn Deacy Park the night before watching Galway Utd get promoted, it said there was 2,800 at that event and judging by that crowd i can honestly tell you there was a lot more at the protest march then 3,000.
    Anyway, what annoyed me about the March was going up to Topaz at Cemetary Cross to protest up there,i didn't realise the March was going up that far. Why did it go there??I asked 2 or 3 people around me and they didn't know. I had thought it was a Shell to Sea protest or something and I was annoyed because I was marching against additional charges for Water, not at Topaz.
    It was good to see kids at the protest aswell. When I was young there was no protests even though there probably should have been. Its good to see parents bringing their kids to it and so when they are older protesting at something wont be so alien an idea to them.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Having said that, I think many of the protesters who featured on RTE's coverage were talking utter nonsense. The heavy rain during the marches only served to reinforce some of them in their belief that the water coming into their homes simply falls from the sky in abundance and therefore should be free. It seems to have escaped their notice that (a) there is nothing to prevent them collecting free rainwater if they want, and (b) what they are in fact using in their homes is treated water which requires public infrastructure to collect and distribute.

A few weeks ago there was another protester on Prime Time who tried to equate the public water supply with the air we breathe. That's just delusional, in my view.

EDIT I just happened to see this Boards thread, which might be of interest: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057319177

RTE has a trend alright, of putting certain people in front of the camera instead of others. Not to be all conspiracy theory nut or anything, but it does make me go "hmm" at times. We all know how television sound bytes are all in the hands of the editor/slant.

As per your comment about rainwater and collection, well isn't that starting to become an issue in the US? It's not one here (yet) though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement