Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water protest discussion and demos

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Padraic Conneely nearly got more abuse than Enda Kenny did entering the Radisson.

sure conneely was lapping up the media attention!! and in fairness if you watch the videos enda is getting serious abuse from the protestors :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

sure conneely was lapping up the media attention!! and in fairness if you watch the videos enda is getting serious abuse from the protestors :)

If the the smokers holding the banners give up the fags they should be able to afford the water charges

Tugboats wrote: »
    If the the smokers holding the banners give up the fags they should be able to afford the water charges

ara would you give up the nonsense, like a good child, actually my child has more cop on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tugboats, stop trolling.

renegademaster, cop on. Card given.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

someone told me that when they installed his water meter they removed the stopcock for turning off the water. If you have a leak in your garden how do you stop the water if you have no stopcock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,958 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Paulownia wrote: »
    someone told me that when they installed his water meter they removed the stopcock for turning off the water. If you have a leak in your garden how do you stop the water if you have no stopcock?

Pics or GTFO ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That was discussed on radio a few weeks ago. Apparently there is a lever at the side of the meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Paulownia wrote: »

It's replaced with a valve with blue handle, see below. When the handle is parallel to the pipeline it's open, turn perpendicular to the pipeline to turn off.

NWS_20130808_ANA_004_28521295_I1.JPG

top of the mornin Galway, thanks for the few extra invites to the page overnight, every little helps. I hope yer all busy gettin banners and chants ready for Saturdays nationwide Topaz boycott? If anybody can get to either College Rd or Bohermore Topaz for 11am or 12pm at the latest that would be great as I am only one man. I will be at Newcastle because it's the closest to me. It would be great to know we have all 3 stations covered so we can keep the pressure on.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1493991254196540/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

People are going to protest at Topaz now?

What's the point of that?

Would it not be far far more constructive to protest outside TD's offices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

CatFromHue wrote: »
    People are going to protest at Topaz now?

What's the point of that?

Would it not be far far more constructive to protest outside TD's offices?

This is the point where all the other groups start highjacking the protests for their own causes.
    The next step will be alienating those who just want to protest against water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Disrupting a private business which has no direct link to anything related to water charges is absolutely pathetic stuff and really damages the credibility of anybody who protests there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm confused. Who is protesting at Topaz and why? :confused:
    This is the point where all the other groups start highjacking the protests for their own causes.

It happened at the protest outside the Radisson the other day (Enda was attending a meeting about the development of Galway Port), someone took the loud speaker and started going on about something totally unrelated to water charges, crowd told him to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

As far as I'm aware from the limited ramblings from certain members here, a business which Denis O' Brien has a stake in is supplying something or other to Irish Water. Apparently, Denis O' Brien also has a stake in Topaz. Apparently, Denis O' Brien is evil. Hence the protest as Topaz. Now I haven't researched this at all so am not well up on it, but I've yet to see an acceptable reason posted here for a protest at Topaz. Bizarre stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware from the limited ramblings from certain members here, a business which Denis O' Brien has a stake in is supplying something or other to Irish Water. Apparently, Denis O' Brien also has a stake in Topaz. Apparently, Denis O' Brien is evil. Hence the protest as Topaz. Now I haven't researched this at all so am not well up on it, but I've yet to see an acceptable reason posted here for a protest at Topaz. Bizarre stuff.

Seems legit.

1+1.jpg

It happened at the protest outside the Radisson the other day (Enda was attending a meeting about the development of Galway Port), someone took the loud speaker and started going on about something totally unrelated to water charges, crowd told him to get lost.

what happened outside the radisson the other day was someone trying to let the crowd know why enda was at the meeting we were protesting outside of. it may seem daft to you but it would have made perfect sense to people if they had the man speak for a minute or 2 without shouting him down. fair enough the water issue broke the camels back but it's by no means the only issue that's brought us to where we are today and if people paid more attention to things are they're being discussed we may not have to protest to stop them after the fact ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Protesting outside Topaz stations will be an inconvience to staff members trying to do a days work. I dont see what effect it will have on Denis O Brien in reality.

It is great to see the passion in irish inhabitants, bit keep some sense & direction here. The protest is against the government and irish water. Not employees of an entirely different company. Protesting at topaz will weaken the resistance ethos and makes the protests seem vulgar and as if for the sake of protesting rather than a true belief in the "we have had enough/ we are not paying" context

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

dollybird2 wrote: »
    Protesting outside Topaz stations will be an inconvience to staff members trying to do a days work. I dont see what effect it will have on Denis O Brien in reality.

It is great to see the passion in irish inhabitants, bit keep some sense & direction here. The protest is against the government and irish water. Not employees of an entirely different company. Protesting at topaz will weaken the resistance ethos and makes the protests seem vulgar and as if for the sake of protesting rather than a true belief in the "we have had enough/ we are not paying" context

i agree, but dont waste your time trying to make these people see the futility in this course of action. Some people just love a good oul protest and cant see the forest for the trees.

dollybird2 wrote: »

dan hibiki wrote: »
    i agree, but dont waste your time trying to make these people see the futility in this course of action. Some people just love a good oul protest and cant see the forest for the trees.

the protest is not aimed at staff and they'll know it. it will effect denis o brien because this is a nationwide protest on today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,483 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Real smalltime stuff protesting at Topaz tbh.

It will inconvenience staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

the protest is not aimed at staff and they'll know it. it will effect denis o brien because this is a nationwide protest on today ;)

Interesting to see how many hundreds of thousands will fill the forecourts today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I saw 1 person protesting outside a topaz garage yesterday when I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I believe the culprit is three posts ^ that a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,483 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

At least staff weren't inconvenienced.

Everyone's a winner!

He's not just one man he's the Renegademaster

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Real smalltime stuff protesting at Topaz tbh.

It will inconvenience staff
    I believe the culprit is three posts ^ that a way.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    At least staff weren't inconvenienced.

Everyone's a winner!
    Tugboats wrote: »
    He's not just one man he's the Renegademaster

one man convinced at least 50 cars to turn around as they were entering the station. tis very easy drop €50/60 in a petrol station, €20/30 at the pumps, phone credit, €10 per box of fags, deli, coffees etc.

Not a bad days work at all at all ;)

one man convinced at least 50 cars to turn around as they were entering the station. tis very easy drop €50/60 in a petrol station, €20/30 at the pumps, phone credit, €10 per box of fags, deli, coffees etc.

None of this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

And go to one of the other topaz outlets instead. And if that's what you call "work" then we have a bigger problem in society than a few water meters

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

And your logic was what?
    "The man who owns Topaz is a large shareholder in a company that was contracted to install water meters."
    Simply petty. Not to mention that most Topaz stations are franchises.

By your logic, why aren't you out protesting in front of the offices of the countless other companies that have been contracted by Irish Water?

And really, I can't see this hilarity convincing anyone to get their petrol somewhere else:
    B2gR7L2IMAIzjJL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If I was going in to Topaz for fuel you would not change my mind, it's a stupid protest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement