Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water protest discussion and demos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

The only way one would have got 50 cars to move off is if one blocked them entrance in which case the protestor would be the issue to the customers not Topaz or IW. Such a scenario would only have them toddle off down to the next topaz although if it was me i'd have no problem playing chicken with the billboard and seeing who would move first. Absolutely pointless protest and hyperbolic claims of success. One pointless day's labour and ridiculous claims of thousands in lost revenue for the topaz station in question - completely laughable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Storm 10 wrote: »
    If I was going in to Topaz for fuel you would not change my mind, it's a stupid protest

fair enough, can't force anyone to do anything against their will, all I can do is encourage people to boycott the station, 42 cars did so today and went off to a privately owned garage.
    zarquon wrote: »
    The only way one would have got 50 cars to move off is if one blocked them entrance in which case the protestor would be the issue to the customers not Topaz or IW. Such a scenario would only have them toddle off down to the next topaz although if it was me i'd have no problem playing chicken with the billboard and seeing who would move first. Absolutely pointless protest and hyperbolic claims of success. One pointless day's labour and ridiculous claims of thousands in lost revenue for the topaz station in question - completely laughable.

one man actually blocking people from entering a busy petrol station in galway city wouldn't last 60 seconds before they'd be carted off to the station. the garda came and chatted to me yesterday when they filled up at the pumps and we all had a good chat, they totally agreed with me doing what i was doing, on my ownio encouraging people to not use the station, they wished me the best of luck with it and on about their business, they even gave me a beep when they passed by later in the afternoon. Are you openly admitting online that you would drive your car towards a lone protestor? I can guarantee if you did and you ploughed through me you'd be in so much serious trouble with the law you look so stupid for even suggesting you'd do such a thing ;)
    Tugboats wrote: »
    None of this happened.

i stood there from 1 to 6 the last 2 days. whatever
    And go to one of the other topaz outlets instead. And if that's what you call "work" then we have a bigger problem in society than a few water meters

right gordo, you have an answer for everything, pity ya couldn't focus it correctly
    maki wrote: »
    And your logic was what?
    "The man who owns Topaz is a large shareholder in a company that was contracted to install water meters."
    Simply petty. Not to mention that most Topaz stations are franchises.

By your logic, why aren't you out protesting in front of the offices of the countless other companies that have been contracted by Irish Water?

And really, I can't see this hilarity convincing anyone to get their petrol somewhere else:
    B2gR7L2IMAIzjJL.jpg

he's the man who owns siteserve, a company that only existed for 48 hours before he won the contract to install the meters, siemens never stood a chance at winning the tender even though they were to use brand new meters and do it at a fraction of the cost. do you not see the bigger picture here ;) denis has bought and paid enda off and now he's getting his kickback from the irish state again, or so they all thought anyway!!

most topaz's are not franshises, they're managed by head office in dublin, I worked for statoil from 97 to 99 when they took control of the majority of privately owned stations, my bro works as manager in one in Dublin and I know someone else in the UK who's feeding me info through a friend of theirs working for topaz down in Cork.

You also tell me i should be out protesting at his other businesses, you do know how many other businesses he owns ya?

I can tell you for an absolute fact the nationwide protests outside the topaz stations has the company rattled ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

maki wrote: »

By your logic, why aren't you out protesting in front of the offices of the countless other companies that have been contracted by Irish Water

There's a topaz in Newcastle so it's handy for him. You don't expect him to make a real effort do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

I did drive back out of topaz and went somewhere else for my fuel...............
    because its more expensive than most other places for everything from petrol to milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

This could set a dangerous precedent. Not every Topaz filling station, is also a Topaz shop. People may start hurting small business owners more so than Denis O'Brien. I'd say, by all means. Don't buy Topaz petrol or Diesel or goods but I wouldn't let it stop me from getting something else if it's not a Topaz brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

he's the man who owns siteserve, a company that only existed for 48 hours before he won the contract to install the meters

From siteserv.ie

Over the past 40 years, Siteserv companies have been involved in some of the UK and Ireland’s largest and most complex infrastructure construction projects, and our experience has given us a deep understanding of the industries we serve, including power generation, petrochemical, nuclear, home energy, satellite & telecommunications, education, healthcare, events services, civil engineering, water and construction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

'he's the man who owns siteserve, a company that only existed for 48 hours before he won the contract to install the meters, siemens never stood a chance at winning the tender even though they were to use brand new meters and do it at a fraction of the cost. do you not see the bigger picture here ;)denis has bought and paid enda off and now he's getting his kickback from the irish state again, or so they all thought anyway!!'

Have you got any proof of this ? I wonder what DOB would think of this allegation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

From siteserv.ie

Over the past 40 years, Siteserv companies have been involved in some of the UK and Ireland’s largest and most complex infrastructure construction projects, and our experience has given us a deep understanding of the industries we serve, including power generation, petrochemical, nuclear, home energy, satellite & telecommunications, education, healthcare, events services, civil engineering, water and construction.

You're missing the point, that sort of info cant infiltrate the almighty tinfoil hat.

Siteserv was a bubble creation, it expanded rapidly by borrowing lots and overpaying for established companies. When the bubble burst it became clear that while the company's operations were profitable it would never be able to pay back the debt it had built up. (Money it owed us the Irish state via Anglo / IBRC)

It was bought by D O'Brien over eleven other formal offers - we don't know what the terms on offer were - I think his was a cash offer, the others might have been subject to them being able to raise funds or something. There were some other informal offers.

I don't think that they even are the contractors in this part of the world - I think it is Murphy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

one man convinced at least 50 cars to turn around as they were entering the station.

Petrol station forecourts are very handy spots for doing a u-turn by the way...
    ... €10 per box of fags, deli, coffees etc.

Not a bad days work at all at all ;)

You sir, live a fine life. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I'm sitting reading this thread and wondering what has happened to the people who were objecting to the government setting up IW and charging for water.

The thread appears to have been hijacked by one person who, for some reason, seems to have a personal problem with Topaz and D.O'B.

Although I accept that conversations/discussions can and do wander off course this, for me, has really lost its way.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'm sitting reading this thread and wondering what has happened to the people who were objecting to the government setting up IW and charging for water.

The thread appears to have been hijacked by one person who, for some reason, seems to have a personal problem with Topaz and D.O'B.

Although I accept that conversations/discussions can and do wander off course this, for me, has really lost its way.

I passed him about 40 minutes ago. Padraic Conneely was getting into his car having apparently filled up with fuel seemingly unmolested by the "protester". It would have been comedy gold to see Conneely actually for once avoiding a photo if the protester had tried to get him in a power to the people type selfie.

I also noticed that he has reversed the Z on his carefully crafted sign. I wonder if this a problem with literacy or some misguided freeman type attempt to avoid defamation law or some such?

Tugboats wrote: »
    There's a topaz in Newcastle so it's handy for him. You don't expect him to make a real effort do you?

what constitutes a real effort by your standards there old tugger
    From siteserv.ie

you're some man for doing some research there gordo
    youngrun wrote: »
    'he's the man who owns siteserve, a company that only existed for 48 hours before he won the contract to install the meters, siemens never stood a chance at winning the tender even though they were to use brand new meters and do it at a fraction of the cost. do you not see the bigger picture here ;)denis has bought and paid enda off and now he's getting his kickback from the irish state again, or so they all thought anyway!!'

Have you got any proof of this ? I wonder what DOB would think of this allegation?

right, so it seems he bought the company only a few hours before winning the tender over siemens who were bidding to install new meters and at a fraction of the cost
    J o e wrote: »
    Petrol station forecourts are very handy spots for doing a u-turn by the way...

You sir, live a fine life. :rolleyes:

they are but i spoke to loads who said they were just turning around and there were the numbers i posted about that said they had planned to go into the shop but they were going to go elsewhere now.

i dont drive, haven't bought credit in months and dont smoke so what's your point?

i find it shocking that we've got the stereotypical boardsies still intent on tearing anybody apart who holds some views contrary to theirs
    ?Cee?view wrote: »
    I passed him about 40 minutes ago. Padraic Conneely was getting into his car having apparently filled up with fuel seemingly unmolested by the "protester". It would have been comedy gold to see Conneely actually for once avoiding a photo if the protester had tried to get him in a power to the people type selfie.

I also noticed that he has reversed the Z on his carefully crafted sign. I wonder if this a problem with literacy or some misguided freeman type attempt to avoid defamation law or some such?

what are you on about? you have a savage imagination. nobody is being molested by anyone, especially conneely. i'm so glad ya raised the reversed Z btw, is that all you took from that statement ;)

in 2.5 days outside the station chatting to a couple of hundred people passing on the path or in their cars and only 2 people had anything negative to say, one told me to go get a job and the other (a taxi driver) called me a knob. ignorance of this level is so much more isolated these days i'd be willing to bet that these 2 people are involved in this thread.

in 2.5 days outside the station chatting to a couple of hundred people passing on the path or in their cars and only 2 people had anything negative to say, one told me to go get a job and the other (a taxi driver) called me a knob. ignorance of this level is so much more isolated these days i'd be willing to bet that these 2 people are involved in this thread.

It's great that you have so much free time on your hands for such activity. Do you happen to have active employment or who funds you so that you can spend your days on such frivolous activities. Surely you wouldn't be hypocritical enough to be protesting the very people who are responsible for giving you a payment on a weekly basis :rolleyes:

I'd love to be an idealist too, but unfortunately full time employment takes up a lot of my time!

zarquon wrote: »
    It's great that you have so much free time on your hands for such activity. Do you happen to have active employment or who funds you so that you can spend your days on such frivolous activities. Surely you wouldn't be hypocritical enough to be protesting the very people who are responsible for giving you a payment on a weekly basis :rolleyes:

I'd love to be an idealist too, but unfortunately full time employment takes up a lot of my time!

I am not working right now, i'm putting together a not for profit community based service that I hope to have up and running by end of Q1 2015. I had a successful business until the crash. I've been to college and had manys a short - medium term employment, here, across the country, in Holland, France. I have a life and have plenty of other things i could do with the week but that doesnt mean I can't try see it out. On Saturday when I was doing it for the day I actually got a call from my daugter wanting to call round but she totally understood when I told her why I couldn't that day. I finished up at 3.30 today and spent the eve eve with her. I do try my best to attend as many protests as I can to lend support

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Originally Posted by Irishgoatmanviewpost.gif

confused.png

i find it shocking that we've got the stereotypical boardsies still intent on tearing anybody apart who holds some views contrary to theirs

Not sure if you really read or understood my post. Firstly I was not tearing anybody apart, I was commenting on the fact that you appear to be more interested in getting at D.O'B. than the government who are implementing the water charges. Secondly, nowhere have I stated whether I am for or against water charges so how are my views contrary to yours:confused:. It is never wise to make assumptions as you can end up looking very foolish.

As I'm just a month or so away from my 70th birthday I doubt that I am stereotypical of boards members.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I am not working right now, i'm putting together a not for profit community based service that I hope to have up and running by end of Q1 2015. I had a successful business until the crash. I've been to college and had manys a short - medium term employment, here, across the country, in Holland, France. I have a life and have plenty of other things i could do with the week but that doesnt mean I can't try see it out. On Saturday when I was doing it for the day I actually got a call from my daugter wanting to call round but she totally understood when I told her why I couldn't that day. I finished up at 3.30 today and spent the eve eve with her. I do try my best to attend as many protests as I can to lend support

This speaks volumes to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've been at a number of 'water charges' protests recently.

The most recent one, after about 30 minutes, the protesters didn't seem to know what they were protesting about - a number standing by their water charges guns, which is fair enough, with the other half introducing a number of what could only be described as 'conspiracy theories' into the protest. It actually ended up with the protesters fighting amongst themselves.

In front of national media I might add.

I do believe that there's an element in Galway using the water charge stance to piggyback their own outlandish agendas....most of which seem to be very much 'out there'.

Boycotting Topaz is, in my opinion, a perfect example of those riding the wave of anti-water protests.

Dennis O Brien? Sure if you want to boycott him, why not boycott the countless other businesses nationwide associated with Irish Water? I mean, the link there is so tentative to begin with... Why is Topaz being singled out?

It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

ignorance of this level is so much more isolated these days i'd be willing to bet that these 2 people are involved in this thread.

Ignorance is certainly a word most of us would use to describe some of the posts on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Exactly the genuine anti water protestors will distance themselves and the gov will win out because of lunatics like the OP in his tin foil hat.

Same situation with what was done to burton at the weekend. I'm fairly sure the vast majority of decent people would not condone trapping a woman (not relevant but she is not a young woman) in a car for how many hours with people banging and shaking the car. That's not protesting and it's not right

It's like the glen of the downes / rosport etc, the reason for the protest is lost when serial protestors (op etc), scumbags etc take over with their alternative agendas(denis obrien!). The public distance themselves as the protestors no longer represent their opinions

One other thing OP which seriously discredits you, siteserv are a huge utility company and during my 15 years working in dublin I've noticed their yellow and blue vans (v distinctive) working for just about every utility company in dublin (ntl, gas, water, eircom) cutting up roads/footpaths to lay pipes / cables managing traffic etc, so do you not think that maybe whoever gave them the contract also looked at the track records of the companies putting tenders in? Companies / state bodies know (often from painful and costly experiences) that the cheapest initial bid is not always the cheapest / best value in the long run

From the general tone of this thread you are playing into denis obrien / Enda hands by alienating the genuine (ie not serial I'll protest about anything type) protestors.

Just to add I'm no fan of Denis o brien, Im suspicious of how he got the esat licence, dispise the way he moved offshore to avoid cgt on his disposal of esat, dispise the way he is taking over irish media(newspapers, radio and recently news services to irish radio staions), think he is a smug pr•••• how he boasts of supporting irish soccer, dispise the way he is running his Caribbean telecom company(loading a company with debt by taking out hundred of mils in dividends and will end up leaving a group of developing nations with their main telecom company so loaded with debt that they will pay over the odds for its services hampering their growth), but I am not stupid enough to think that in this day and age(post tribunals) that someone got a brown envelope from him. He was simply in the right place at the right time with a handful of cash to buy a large utility company(and oil company) out of receivership when there was very little alternative and credible other bidders and banks wanted to offload it as quickly as possible

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    This speaks volumes to me.

and your attitude speaks volumes to me wally ;)
    Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Exactly the genuine anti water protestors will distance themselves and the gov will win out because of lunatics like the OP in his tin foil hat.
    Crumbs868 wrote: »
    One other thing OP which seriously discredits you, siteserv are a huge utility company and during my 15 years working in dublin I've noticed their yellow and blue vans (v distinctive) working for just about every utility company in dublin (ntl, gas, water, eircom) cutting up roads/footpaths to lay pipes / cables managing traffic etc, so do you not think that maybe whoever gave them the contract also looked at the track records of the companies putting tenders in? Companies / state bodies know (often from painful and costly experiences) that the cheapest initial bid is not always the cheapest / best value in the long run

From the general tone of this thread you are playing into denis obrien / Enda hands by alienating the genuine (ie not serial I'll protest about anything type) protestors.

Just to add I'm no fan of Denis o brien, Im suspicious of how he got the esat licence, dispise the way he moved offshore to avoid cgt on his disposal of esat, dispise the way he is taking over irish media(newspapers, radio and recently news services to irish radio staions), think he is a smug pr•••• how he boasts of supporting irish soccer, dispise the way he is running his Caribbean telecom company(loading a company with debt by taking out hundred of mils in dividends and will end up leaving a group of developing nations with their main telecom company so loaded with debt that they will pay over the odds for its services hampering their growth), but I am not stupid enough to think that in this day and age(post tribunals) that someone got a brown envelope from him. He was simply in the right place at the right time with a handful of cash to buy a large utility company(and oil company) out of receivership when there was very little alternative and credible other bidders and banks wanted to offload it as quickly as possible

lads, yer all going on as if irish water is the only issue we have to tackle in Ireland. are ye trying to tell me we need to stay focused exclusively on irish water and when that's brought down everything will be grand? denis o brien is part of the problem and protests have happened at some of his other businesses, the independent news and media building last sat night for example.

and your attitude speaks volumes to me wally ;)

lads, yer all going on as if irish water is the only issue we have to tackle in Ireland. are ye trying to tell me we need to stay focused exclusively on irish water and when that's brought down everything will be grand? denis o brien is part of the problem and protests have happened at some of his other businesses, the independent news and media building last sat night for example.

From the after hours coverage is was ONE man and his van just like it was one man and his sign at topaz in galway

I've been at a number of 'water charges' protests recently.

The most recent one, after about 30 minutes, the protesters didn't seem to know what they were protesting about - a number standing by their water charges guns, which is fair enough, with the other half introducing a number of what could only be described as 'conspiracy theories' into the protest. It actually ended up with the protesters fighting amongst themselves.

In front of national media I might add.

I do believe that there's an element in Galway using the water charge stance to piggyback their own outlandish agendas....most of which seem to be very much 'out there'.

Boycotting Topaz is, in my opinion, a perfect example of those riding the wave of anti-water protests.

Dennis O Brien? Sure if you want to boycott him, why not boycott the countless other businesses nationwide associated with Irish Water? I mean, the link there is so tentative to begin with... Why is Topaz being singled out?

It makes no sense.

you're refering to a protestor trying to tell people why enda kenny was showing up in the radisson that day? tis a great pity they weren't bothered about the actual galway harbour meeting, did they not see the bunch of ***** going into that meeting, hildagarde, conneely, mayor lyons who won't even raise the irish water fiasco in 3 council meetings but he'll go into the fcuking radisson to meet corrupt enda so they can all congratulate themselves on the fine project moving forward, even though their fine project is not moving forward, in fact it's actually held up now due to objections but sure what would that matter. their plan was to have a chamber of commerce meeting, get everyone down the radisson so i can big up a project, that's currently going nowhere. when protestors show up outside some of them end up shouting the man down who's trying to join a few dots for the people who obviously hadn't a notion what was actually happening in the radisson that eve ;)

lads, yer all going on as if irish water is the only issue we have to tackle in Ireland. are ye trying to tell me we need to stay focused exclusively on irish water

With respect, would you not open a new thread then? This one is titled "Water protest discussion and demos"

?Cee?view wrote: »
    With respect, would you not open a new thread then? This one is titled "Water protest discussion and demos"

christ, it's all connected, ya know there's no point in trying to talk to some people when even the likes of jim corr could see what was happening 4 years ago before the lisbon 2.0 vote, i watched on of his videos from a few years back and 98% of what he was talking about has come to pass. I guess he should have stuck with one issue and not be tryin to highlight multiple issues, the cheek of him eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Because Denis O'Brien. You know, the bankers and all that with the bond holders. And what about the quangos and then you have Shell. "Sorry Garda is that an order or a request?". "I'm recording this you know, I have you on video".

^ I'm sure it's all explained clearly in the serial protesters' handbook.

christ, it's all connected, ya know there's no point in trying to talk to some people when even the likes of jim corr could see what was happening 4 years ago before the lisbon 2.0 vote, i watched on of his videos from a few years back and 98% of what he was talking about has come to pass. I guess he should have stuck with one issue and not be tryin to highlight multiple issues, the cheek of him eh

Seriously...Jim Corr...

Maybe Denis O'Brien is a reptile?

There comes a point where it's clear that logic and reason has long since departed.

• Advertisement

Renegademaster advocating the wisdom of Jim Corr, i think that answers any questions anyone might have about the credibility of this poster.

The ordinary public will no doubt distance themselves from nutjob conspiracy theorist protestors who hijack reasonable protest grounds to further their own agendas. This only serves to play into the hands of the government. I'm sure Enda and Joan are more than delighted to see Jim Corr supporters protesting D.O.B and Irish water on the forecourts of Topaz. It's amazing how the protests quickly turn into parody, just like the occupy galway facade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement