Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you LOVE about Living in Ireland...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I love taking walks along the Barrow Track. I've waked from Carlow town to Athy and from Carlow town to Bagenalstown, each of which is about a twelve mile walk. There's some beautiful scenery, wildlife and interesting building along the way. For example here's a picture I took of Levitstown Mill and one of Milford Mill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

No snakes
    Thanks Saint Patrick

Also no dangerous wild animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Since I've moved back to Donegal, I love;

-The scenery, just spectacular views everywhere.
    -I love the climate, never too hot or cold. Never too extreme like hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanoes etc. I love how the light is constantly changing and captures the scenery.
    -The feeling of breathing in fresh, unpolluted air.
    -My neighbours, some of the nicest people I've ever met. They'll always stop for a joke and a chat. I can go into their homes, any day at any time if I feel a bit lonely and I'll always be given a warm welcome and a cup of tea and something to eat.
    -The feeling of safety and security. I could leave my car keys in the car overnight and they'll still be there in the morning.
    -Warm cups of tea.
    -The coastline and beaches.
    -Hill and mountains, waiting to be explored.
    -Although we might not be as economically prosperous as we were, it's rare to see extremes cases of poverty like I've seen in other countries.
    -The variety of homegrown food, especially seafood.
    -The nightlife, you can meet some real characters.
    -Sense of humour and willingness to joke about things.
    -Access to good education and healthcare which doesn't cost the earth.

I love Ireland, I do feel it's under appreciated by some people. Sometimes we don't know how good we have it. You only have to visit a country where people are living in extreme poverty to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

What I love most about living in this country is the fact that my scumbag of an ex doesn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Irish slang, irish humour

The craic! Sure it's only mighty!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I love taking walks along the Barrow Track. I've waked from Carlow town to Athy and from Carlow town to Bagenalstown, each of which is about a twelve mile walk. There's some beautiful scenery, wildlife and interesting building along the way. For example here's a picture I took of Levitstown Mill and one of Milford Mill.
    I've done the exact same walk multiple times :)

It's beautiful alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Great thread ....!

When you read all these posts about our great County and feel all the LOVE for it - it's a wonder we can't put all our energy into telling our LEADERS what we want done?

We're a great people! Very nice posts on this thread ..... Cheers Everyone!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Loads of things, most of them already mentioned.
    I'm going to pick one, and that is friendliness. People taking a minute out of their day to say hello, to help someone, maybe helping with directions, if someone is lost, or lending a hand starting a car/ changing a tyre, things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lanarty56

The punctual public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

I am - we need a BIG change in leadership and attitude to help us now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

ElizaT33 wrote: »
    I am - we need a BIG change in leadership and attitude to help us now!

No depth to policies. Nothing properly costed. Big industry will take flight. Taxes will rise etc etc . Change is only good when its for the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

You're never far from the sea, and what sea ! more interesting and beautiful than the Mediterranean imo.
    The people.
    The scenery.
    Bacon, puddings, breads ...
    Late shops.
    More life in the streets, even in the evenings, even on a Sunday.

I'm in the countryside so I'd have to add : the rural-ness, the peace, less noise, you can see the stars, wildlife...

Overall Ireland still feels safer too.

Less extremes in weather, I do love to experience extreme weather, but the inconvenience does takes over sometimes.

I came back from France yesterday evening, my first two interactions on return were with a garda checking passports, I went to wrong queue by accident "don't worry you're fine, you're fine, hello Mountains' child 1, hello Mountains child 2 ..." instead of the grunt on the French side.
    Second interaction on the way back with the lovely man at the petrol station with a smile, a friendly word, and a good humoured sigh at being stuck working for another 3 hours (at 9 pm or so).

I guess when you're here all the time you don't realize how friendly and warm people are compared to other nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

jelenka wrote: »
    13 years here and I must say that I love it here, people are mostly very friendly and cheerful, nature is beautiful and overall Ireland is great.

I would however like a bit less rain and more sun in the summer :-)

Well you know where the door is...

Now get in here and have a drink ye mad bollix ye!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

The only country in the world where being "on the pigs back" is a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Going on holidays in the same village in Kerry every year since I was a kid and still loving it.

A good chance of enjoying a decent pint.

Electric Picnic

The seasons and varying weather, we may not know it but if we had constant sunshine we would not be happy :-)

Our countryside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Chunners wrote: »
    I love the fact that most Irish people are very community orientated, not on a vast scale but on a small scale street parties use to be a big thing where all the parents would get together and buy sweets and cakes and probably hire a bouncy castle and the kids would have a day of pure being spoiled and then in the evening the kids would be put to bed with a smile on their face and everyone would get around a table in the middle of the street and have a few drinks and congratulate each other on a job well done. I love that for most Irish people there is no lengths you wouldn't go too for a kid even if that kid isn't your own.

When I was 15 my 12 year old brother was diagnosed with Cancer and my parents weren't working at the time and our neighbors arranged nights out with tickets to gather the money to send him to Lourdes (waste of money I know but the fact they did it shows they cared), people were even buying tickets knowing that they wouldn't be able to attend on the night. When he died 9 months later the neighbors had (without our knowledge) raised over €1,000 towards his funeral, my parents weren't rich so no mess that gesture was unbelievable for us. The day of his funeral I am not messing there was about 1000 people in the church, it was packed to the rafters and most of them I didn't even know, someone got all the kids in his class, my class and my older brothers class together and their parents all put the money together to buy a wreath that spelled his name and the kids in his class made a massive card about 5 foot tall that they got everyone to sign as they walked into the church. That day could have been much sadder for me but seeing everyone come together like that made a really sad day for me just that little bit more bearable. I don't know if they do that in any other country but I would argue with anyone who says that Irish people are totally self centered

A similar story happened to friend of mine, his parents died in tragic circumstances, our school had a fund and every child gave five euro to the family. Truly breathtaking.Irish people rely heavily on strong communal bonds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

The humour/wit/sarcasm/divilment is, for me anyways, the absolute best in the world.

And of course, that leads to the "charm".

I've lived abroad. Travelled a lot. And nothing beats it.

I find abroad, other nationalities are fascinated by it.

Few months ago, I was the only Irish among about 10 different nationalities from around the world, and they'd all seek out "the funny/friendly Irish girl" (even when I was grumpy/feck off mode they thought it was charming).

I actually hid/went AWOL a few times as I felt like a performing monkey show. But, charming it was, and they ate it up like a bowl o' stew.

Not 1 of 'em could match the wit. For me, it got a bit boring after a while dealing with them, as I missed sarcasm.

One American was telling me a story, and I was like "ah go way....really?" and she took it as go away. I couldnt figure out why she kept saying "why do you keep telling me to go away?" so automatic it is to us.

Cute Irish :) Load and tonnes of charm. We need to use it more politically/international level. And not forget who we are or just walking money/euro signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Oh and also the ceilis at the crossroads, going to school by donkey and mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I love the weather. Sometimes I feel like the only one, but I really do appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I've done the exact same walk multiple times :)

It's beautiful alright.
    It is beautiful but it's not appreciated the way it should be. Incredibly Waterways Ireland are going to apply for planning permission to dig up the entirety of the Barrow Track, all 70 miles, and replace the grassy surface with stone to turn it into a cycle track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I love the fact I can drive five minutes from my house in the centre of Dublin and I can be fishing in the sea.

I love the fact that nearly every person who passes you while you're fishing will talk to you - even the silly bint the other day complaining to me about the cruelty to worms and fishes - I loved her too!

I love the fact if I drive another 15 minutes I can be in Howth and walking to the top of Howth Head or along the cliffs - just stunning!

And I think the thing I love most is having a great pint of Guinness in virtually any pub in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

UCDVet wrote: »
    I love the weather. Sometimes I feel like the only one, but I really do appreciate it.

I love the rain, not when it is windy now but when it is just pissing straight down and it is creating butterflies (you know when it is splashing in puddles and for a second the splash of every raindrop looks like a butterfly?) I love that so much. It's so nice to go to sleep with that sound too, it probably shouldn't be but for some reason it is very relaxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

A great sense of humour the Dublin people have :)

Been said a lot but the sense of humour of people over here is a big one. I did sometimes miss that when I lived abroad (though the UK aren't hugely different to us in that regard)

Also love that white pudding and red lemonade are things over here. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The women
    My family & friends
    Folk music & literary/painting culture
    Warm summers
    The scenery
    College
    The humour
    The pubs
    Places I like to eat and shop in Dublin
    The nightclubs (if I'm with a good group yes, they can be fun)

In that particular order :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rubin_spitfire

Have been living in Ireland since August three months ago, and I can say two things I love about Ireland: the people and the geography.

I can't fathom why so many Irish people take such little interest in their country's geography. The country is amazing for things like Giants Causeway, the Burren etc. All so close to Dublin too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Other then my family and friends being here I'm struggling to find something....I'll have to have a think....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I forgot to mention the culture !
    Music, trad music is great, a world in itself.
    Art.
    Irish people are so creative, coming up with brilliant ideas all the time, a great sense of colour and story telling.
    Lots of great short films, brilliant animation making use of all that creativity/colour/music/story telling mix.
    Usually the art is pretty grounded too which I really like.

Love that "Load-o' bollíx" phrase that quickly guillotines BS attempts. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Have been living in Ireland since August three months ago, and I can say two things I love about Ireland: the people and the geography.

I can't fathom why so many Irish people take such little interest in their country's geography. The country is amazing for things like Giants Causeway, the Burren etc. All so close to Dublin too.

People who have been looking at it every day since they were born tend to take it for granted.

The things I like most are the scenery and the people. Other good things are it's relatively safe, no extreme weather, no dangerous wildlife, good food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Chunners wrote: »
    I love the fact that most Irish people are very community orientated, not on a vast scale but on a small scale street parties use to be a big thing where all the parents would get together and buy sweets and cakes and probably hire a bouncy castle and the kids would have a day of pure being spoiled and then in the evening the kids would be put to bed with a smile on their face and everyone would get around a table in the middle of the street and have a few drinks and congratulate each other on a job well done. I love that for most Irish people there is no lengths you wouldn't go too for a kid even if that kid isn't your own.

When I was 15 my 12 year old brother was diagnosed with Cancer and my parents weren't working at the time and our neighbors arranged nights out with tickets to gather the money to send him to Lourdes (waste of money I know but the fact they did it shows they cared), people were even buying tickets knowing that they wouldn't be able to attend on the night. When he died 9 months later the neighbors had (without our knowledge) raised over €1,000 towards his funeral, my parents weren't rich so no mess that gesture was unbelievable for us. The day of his funeral I am not messing there was about 1000 people in the church, it was packed to the rafters and most of them I didn't even know, someone got all the kids in his class, my class and my older brothers class together and their parents all put the money together to buy a wreath that spelled his name and the kids in his class made a massive card about 5 foot tall that they got everyone to sign as they walked into the church. That day could have been much sadder for me but seeing everyone come together like that made a really sad day for me just that little bit more bearable. I don't know if they do that in any other country but I would argue with anyone who says that Irish people are totally self centered

Such a beautiful story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Sally O Brien and the way she might look at ya...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I'm not living at home anymore but the thing I love about Ireland is that 99.9% of the people you meet are able to hold a conversation.

I've traveled a lot and met people from nearly every English speaking country in the world (i forgive non English speakers for not being able to converse freely) and I swear people don't know how to have a conversation.

I was in the US with my OH and all of his friends were so quiet. They would just sit there and look at each other over their beers/food. I've noticed this with others as well.

In Ireland, if you're with a group of new people there is always someone who will ask you a question about yourself or just include you. Even if someone doesn't strike up the conversation with you and you start it, Irish people are able to make conversation! Even about inane nonsense!

Even small talk can be very difficult with non-Irish people. I've heard people say it's because Irish people are insecure and always have to be talking but I think sitting around staring at people is boring as ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The winter climate can be decent, it's usually mild enough. I'd hate to live somewhere that gets buried in snow and ice for 3-4 months and sub zero temps. The likes of Manitoba Canada for instance :eek: how do they do it?

You can play golf 12 months of the year here, that keeps me satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I like the weather, mostly. This year has been far too warm though. When the temperature stays under 10 degrees I am happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Other then my family and friends being here I'm struggling to find something....I'll have to have a think....

I really hate comments like this. Are you really trying to tell us you can't find ANYTHING you like? Pathetic. Or are you trying to be "funny"? Because you aren't.

I love the sense of humour of the people.
    I love how we don't get extremes of weather (in spite of what most people think)
    It means i can cycle all year round. Get a bit wet in winter? Who cares.
    I love having a place like Wicklow so close to Dublin. We are extremely lucky to
    have this just ask someone from London or New York or another big city.
    I love the pubs.
    I love All Ireland Hurling final day. The greatest sport on the planet. If any other
    Country had hurling they would be shouting from the rooftops about it.

I have a lot of friends from overseas including Sweden, France and Brazil and most of them love the place and are more positive about it then our own. We should really think about why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

GAA. Tayto. UHT is in limited supply (cause its ****e). Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I thought of another one (Humour being my first).

The folklore.

They built a motorway around a fairy tree in Co. Clare.

Id forgotton about this until I seen a programme recently where Eddie Lenihan was explaining why they couldnt knock the fairy tree.

That was magic in itself, that in this day and age they would listen to him and move the motorway plans.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

The way an Irish girl snogs the face off you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I really hate comments like this. Are you really trying to tell us you can't find ANYTHING you like? Pathetic. Or are you trying to be "funny"? Because you aren't.

Much as the rest of us this poster is entitled to their opinion. Some people do struggle to identify with positive things and this can change from day to day. At least they have friends and family that they recognize as something meaningful to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The friendliness is the big thing.

I live in the UK but I notice how friendly Irish people are as soon as I land in the airport!

You walk into a shop or whatever and for the most part people have a smile on their face and genuinely seem to enjoy taking part in some talk with you even if it's about the weather or whatnot.

I love that!!! There is a warmness about Ireland that you don't appreciate until you leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Good topic for a Thread.

Within an hours drive you can be in a multitude of destinations to which tourists are willing to pay big money to travel to from the world over.
    Accents - So varied and unique
    Dry Humour - Self Depreciating and witty
    GAA - Invokes passion, banter between fans. Mingling of fans at matches
    Off the Ball Radio Show
    Lunch in "The Grand Central" Bar in Dublin. Burger is amazing.
    People watching while drinking tea/coffee on Dame Street

I'm gonna try out your last two. fair shout :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

dellas1979 wrote: »
    I thought of another one (Humour being my first).

The folklore.

They built a motorway around a fairy tree in Co. Clare.

Id forgotton about this until I seen a programme recently where Eddie Lenihan was explaining why they couldnt knock the fairy tree.

That was magic in itself, that in this day and age they would listen to him and move the motorway plans.

If Eddie Lenihan threatens you with GHOSHTS, then you f*cking well listen to him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I miss the fresh, clean air as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

If Eddie Lenihan threatens you with GHOSHTS, then you f*cking well listen to him :D

As a child for years I listened to Eddie Lenihan tapes to help me sleep. This can't have been good for my development.

Much as the rest of us this poster is entitled to their opinion. Some people do struggle to identify with positive things and this can change from day to day. At least they have friends and family that they recognize as something meaningful to them.

I never said they were not entitled to their opinion i just don't believe what they said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

Longford town is something we have that no other countries have. its a great destination for tourists and is well spoken of by people the length and breadth of the country. lots to do, friendly people and plenty of opportunities for both young and old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Achill Island as a holiday destination
    Best weekend away ever
    Scenery was amazing
    The walks were great
    I highly recommend this for a mini break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

if candygirl wants to post that opinion then why not? you don't need to jump down her throat just because she said something you did not like. that's out of order.

• Advertisement
Advertisement