Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for afternoon tea?

Options
  • 01-11-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I want to get my mum a voucher for afternoon tea somewhere really nice. She's been saying for ages she'd love to take her own mum and sister somewhere really lovely and fancy. Has anyone got any suggestions? It would need to have parking and be wheelchair accessible. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Methvet Nian

Afroshack wrote: »
    I want to get my mum a voucher for afternoon tea somewhere really nice. She's been saying for ages she'd love to take her own mum and sister somewhere really lovely and fancy. Has anyone got any suggestions? It would need to have parking and be wheelchair accessible. Thanks :)

I think the Westin is the nicest place for afternoon tea, and the most value for money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Shelbourne and Westbury are both v.g.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I've never been, but am dying to try the Merrion's Art Tea:

http://frenchfoodieindublin.blogspot.ie/2014/01/art-tea-at-merrion-hotel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

With parking, and wheelchair accessibility, in mind...how about this place?

http://www.fourseasons.com/dublin/dining/restaurants/lobby_lounge/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

I think the Westin is the nicest place for afternoon tea, and the most value for money.

how much is the westin can you remember?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Bon Appetit in Malahide is lovely, its the only Michelin Star afternoon tea in the country afaik !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Bandara wrote: »
    Bon Appetit in Malahide is lovely, its the only Michelin Star afternoon tea in the country afaik !

Hardly wheelchair accessible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Ariel House is supposed to be amazing and its only 19.99 a head I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ariel House is supposed to be amazing and its only 19.99 a head I think!

It's gorgeous! Not sure about Wheelchair access, you might need to phone and check with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

westbury and westin are both the best imo.
    didn't like the shelbourne or the merrion art tea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Shelbourne for me.

Westbury next best.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I treated the oh to afternoon tea in loosened house in Naas yesterday and while we both enjoyed it, it was far too focussed on sweet things

We got a plate with six quarter slices of a normal slice of bread with toppings and that was the extent of the sandwiches

On the pastry side there were scones, fruit mouse five different finger slices of cake, mini hampered and macaroons.

We'd like to do it again but with a few more sandwiches than the equivalent of one and a half slices of bread with a few meagre toppings, and preferably have the sandwiches first rather than everything on the table all at once.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Like you, I would prefer more savouries at afternoon tea, and wanted to go to the Athenaeum hotel in London for their Gentleman's afternoon tea, which has a more savoury focus. But I just didn't get time to fit it in.

http://m.athenaeumhotel.com/media/31480/gentlemens-afternoon-tea-2014-december-14.pdf

I've heard that the Morrison has introduced a Gentleman's Afternoon Tea, has anyone been & is it any good?

Speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

Stheno wrote: »
    I treated the oh to afternoon tea in loosened house in Naas yesterday and while we both enjoyed it, it was far too focussed on sweet things

[/QUOte

Where is loosened house, I have never heard of it ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

LJ3103 wrote: »

[/QUOte

Where is loosened house, I have never heard of it ?
    Kilashee house sorry autocheck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We'd like to do it again but with a few more sandwiches than the equivalent of one and a half slices of bread with a few meagre toppings, and preferably have the sandwiches first rather than everything on the table all at once.

I think that's standard for afternoon tea, bottom plate finger sandwiches, middle plate scones and possibly cake, top plate tiny fiddly, pretty sweet things. All coming out together, normally on a 3 layered stand. Any I've had lean heavily towards sweets rather than savoury.

Cleaver East has a 'not afternoon tea' that looks to be more focussed on savoury food, but not really any sandwiches.

http://cleavereast.ie/index.php/not-afternoon-tea/
    SAVOURY

CRISPY SUCKLING PIG BELLY
    Crispy Suckling Pig Belly with Apple and Onion Salsa
    WILD MUSHROOM CROQUETTE
    Wild Mushroom Croquette with Truffle Mayo
    JERK CHICKEN SLIDER
    Jerk Chicken Slider, Carrot Slaw on Waterford Blaa
    FIVEMILETOWN GOATS CHEESE PANNA COTTA
    Fivemiletown Goats Cheese Panna Cotta, Smoked Honeycomb, Pickled Beetroot, Orange Gel
    SMOKED HADDOCK RISOTTO BALLS
    Smoked Haddock Risotto Balls with Cucumber and Pomegranate

SWEET

WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CORNETTO
    White Chocolate Mousse Cornetto and Biscuit Crumb
    VALRHONA CHOCOLATE
    Valrhona Chocolate and Orange Pot with Raspberries
    MARZIPAN AND ALMOND SPONGE
    Marzipan and Almond Sponge with Caramelised Pear
    CLEAVER CARROT CAKE
    Cleaver Carrot Cake with Pistachio Icing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Sugar Loaf Lounge, Powerscourt Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Fern Room (I think it's called) in the Avoca shop in Kilmacanogue.

Advertisement