Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I go about finding work in the US?

Options
  • 01-11-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

How do I go about finding a job in Northern California?
    I know in order for me to get a work visa for the US I need a job offer from a US employer. I'm just wondering what the best way of finding a job is.
    I have an arts degree from UCD.
    I've seen work abroad expos advertised but never been able to attend, are they much help for finding work?
    I've only started looking into this recently so I still trying to get my head around the visa process.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

It's not going to be easy

you need to meet one of the two criteria below

1. already be possession of work authorization (green card lottery etc)
    or
    2. have a job offer with a company willing to sponsor your visa

you can't take a job then look for a visa. There are no "self sponsoring visas" like working holiday for australia.

For an employer to sponsor a visa is a really big deal, they have to prove there are no americans that can do the job, and you have a specific skill. The visa process for an employee can cost up to $10000. My own company will only sponsor people if their salary per month is equal to or greater than that figure.

Have you looked into the J1 Year? If you're a recent graduate it may be the route to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭98-00

I'm 34, too old for J1?
    As I say I've only started looking. If I do go it would be 9 months away.
    I didn't realise the cost would be that high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

The other thing is....you can't pay it

The company has to pay it, so they have to really want you.

I'll be brutally honest - it looks like the green card lottery is your only hope to get into the US

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭98-00

I signed up for the 2016 lottery the other day. I think the chances of getting one are slim though. I did read the Green Card Lottery thread. Is the cutoff age for J1 30 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

The likelihood of being able to emigrate permanently is very slim. The Diversity Lottery is the only real way of getting over at your age.

J1 is available for any age but you have to have recently graduated (12 months) from a full time course that resulted in the minimum of a degree (Masters and PhD students are also accepted). Part time courses and Level 5/6 Certs aren't accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    The likelihood of being able to emigrate permanently is very slim. The Diversity Lottery is the only real way of getting over at your age.

J1 is available for any age but you have to have recently graduated (12 months) from a full time course that resulted in the minimum of a degree (Masters and PhD students are also accepted). Part time courses and Level 5/6 Certs aren't accepted.

There's also a training J1 you can get which doesn't require you to have finished college recently, instead you need to be in your chosen profession for at least 5 years and be taking an internship to advance in that career.

While you will need a via to work here, you asked about getting a job so none of that really answers your original question. The answer is the same way you find work anywhere if you don't know someone, start contacting companies that employ people like you and you'd like to work for. Send out at least 50 or 100 CVs, tailor it to the US which might look very different to what you're used to they typically call it a resume here but it's usually the same thing.

What type of work do you do? Universities typically can get visas easier than others and often have a whole department dedicated to doing it (for foreign students usually) check if any are looking for people like you.

Advertisement