Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H-1B visa and Green Card Lottery

Options
  • 01-11-2014 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I currently work remotely for a U.S. company that wants to sponsor me for a H-1B visa. I wasn't selected in last year's lottery, but the company plans to re-enter me next year.

However, I'd like to enter the Green Card Lottery to give myself an alternative avenue by which to return. Could my entering the lottery hurt my chances in the H-1B lottery next year, if I don't get it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

you should be fine - the H1-B is a dual intent visa, meaning that you are allowed pursue other avenues to a green card

you may want to run it past an emigration attorney first though

• Registered Users Posts: 2 U.S. Remote Worker

That makes sense, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

In my company you were actively encouraged (if not forced) to apply for the green card lottery (if eligible) while they are applying for a green card for you (espically if applying through a eb2/3 which take years)

Advertisement