Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a 12kw stove ..... HELP

Options
  • 01-11-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Just looking for some advice.. We are fitting a stove ourselves hopefully and we will be breaking through an internal wall which back onto our fire place. The builder originally put in a second flue incase we ever thought of doing this. Now, can we just put a flue from the rear of the stove and straight into the opening once we make it and then seal it up....will there be enough of a draught to pull the smoke away?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Hi,
    I know some people do simply pipe to the existing flue but this raises a few issues;
    1. Is your existing flue too big for your stove (at 12kW it may be ok, but you should ask your stove supplier), this can cause draught issues among other problems.
    2. How well built is your existing flue? A poorly built flue may leak dangerous gasses/smoke into living space.

For me, for the cost of a flue liner ~€200-€300, I'd fit a new liner from stove to chimney top and fill the remaining cavity with vermiculite.

Be sure to consider other issues when installing your stove as well;
    • ventilation
    • space around the stove
    • distance to combustables
      • etc

Advertisement