Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320d M sport (184bhp) engine noise.

Options
  • 01-11-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all my 2010 320d has re has recently started making a squeaking/squealing noise. It only happens once the engine has heated up and is loudest as I come off the throttle, you can also just about hear it at idle when fully warmed up. Brought it to a BMW dealer who said tensioner was knackered. got that changed at the cost of €200 only to find out it was not the source of the problem. Mechanic told me it was most likely caused by a swollen bearing in the water pump. The garage was charging €600 to repair this which seems quite high? I would really appreciate any advice on the subject!! I would also like to add that the mechanic was not overly confident on the source of the problem!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd suggest bringing it to a good BMW independent garage for a proper examination. What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I hope, for your sake, that it's not the infamous timing chain problem that those engines are plagued with!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

barrybam wrote: »
    Hi all my 2010 320d has re has recently started making a squeaking/squealing noise. It only happens once the engine has heated up and is loudest as I come off the throttle, you can also just about hear it at idle when fully warmed up. Brought it to a BMW dealer who said tensioner was knackered. got that changed at the cost of €200 only to find out it was not the source of the problem. Mechanic told me it was most likely caused by a swollen bearing in the water pump. The garage was charging €600 to repair this which seems quite high? I would really appreciate any advice on the subject!! I would also like to add that the mechanic was not overly confident on the source of the problem!!

When did you get he work done with the main dealer? If recently, go back to the dealership and explain the fault is not fixed. They should cover some of the cost, it should have been diagnosed properly in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I wouldn't let the dealer away with performing work that didn't fix the issue.

BMW wouldn't get away with this in the United States, so why do Europeans allow BMW to get away with this when it's clearly a rampant problem ?

They don't sell many or probably 0 diesels in the U.S so they won't get sued. They are great in the U.S for getting together against car companies like they did against VAG in relation to the DSG failures. So why don't Europeans ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep consumer power in the US forced BMW to extend the warranty on Nikasil problem engines to 6 years about 20 years ago and do free engine replacements. Not so much over here (well in the UK, was the only other country with problems because as the USA some areas of the UK used dirty, high sulphur petrol)

The US still suffers from the High Pressure Fuel Pump problem, which wasn't much of a problem on this side of the Atlantic as our fuel is much better. But 335is with the N54 engine over there were dynamite for failing all of a sudden because the HPFP gave up. The N55 also has the HPFP problem, so that's been going on as long as the timing chain problem with the diesels, as the N54 engine was introduced only a few months before the N47 made its debut on the LCI E87 1 series back in March 2007.

So I don't know just how strong the consumer groups are over there any more, but they've certainly been very effective in the past with the Nikasil problem and it forced BMW to use different linings on US spec M52 engines (only non-US M52s had the Nikasil problem until the double VANOS version was introduced in early 1998).

It is a terrible shame that it's not possible to take class actions against BMW in Europe. The timing chain problem, like the HPFP problem and most of the other problems in BMW engines, is a direct consequence of BMW being run by accountants and not engineers. They're too obsessed with sales and profits and headline grabbing mpg and CO2 figures etc and not interested at all in making stuff that works and will last a long time. The timing chain itself is fine in the N47, it's the crankshaft and sprockets that are the problem as they are excessively sharp and it causes the chain to wear down over time.

Surely it's possible to sue BMW ? if enough people got together ?

Hasn't happened yet despite the N47 being in production for nearly eight years now, so I wouldn't be holding my breath....

It's not the first engineering c0ck up either by BMW, but it is by far the worst, along with the N43 and N53 coil pack and injector problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    It is a terrible shame that it's not possible to take class actions against BMW in Europe. The timing chain problem, like the HPFP problem and most of the other problems in BMW engines, is a direct consequence of BMW being run by accountants and not engineers. They're too obsessed with sales and profits and headline grabbing mpg and CO2 figures etc <snip>.
    BMW , a marketing and finance company with a car manufacturing divison - I've heard said in Munich manys a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 barrybam

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd suggest bringing it to a good BMW independent garage for a proper examination. What part of the country are you in?
    I'm in Limerick city midweek and in Dingle Co.Kerry on the weeks. A friend told me that
    bavarian auto technik in Abbeyfeale are excellent. Anybody gone to the before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

there is a guy in Clare too, in bartra near lahinch. very throough. Name escapes me, but if your interested i could get it for you??

but i would be guessing either its a tensioner or water pump. keep an eye on the engine temperature gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm in Limerick city midweek and in Dingle Co.Kerry on the weeks. A friend told me that
    bavarian auto technik in Abbeyfeale are excellent. Anybody gone to the before?

Have heard good things about them but haven't used them myself. AlpinaMotorworks out in Castlemungret are supposed to be good too if you want someplace near Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 barrybam

Squatman wrote: »
    but i would be guessing either its a tensioner or water pump. keep an eye on the engine temperature gauge

Only problem is it doesn't have one!! As far as I know only the M models come with one, instead we get the MPG reading. Thanks anyway!

Only problem is it doesn't have one!! As far as I know only the M models come with one, instead we get the MPG reading. Thanks anyway!

have a look outside your rev meter for lines coming up anticlockwise from behind the revs clock, should have an analogue gauge. youd never notice it till its pointed out. otherwise post me a pic of your clocks with car running and i can point it out for you

Advertisement