If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 5.1 recommendations?

Options
  • 01-11-2014 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been looking at dipping my toe into the world of home theatre audio. I've a Philips soundbar & subwoofer which is "ok". I've been trawling adverts and donedeal, there is a lot out there, but I spotted another option out here today on your site. The Pioneer HTP072. This is suitable budget wise, but what are the compromises by getting a single box solution? Any alternatives you can suggest. Whats the best price you could do delivered to Cork?

Thanks in advance,

James

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,283 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

JamBur wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been looking at dipping my toe into the world of home theatre audio. I've a Philips soundbar & subwoofer which is "ok". I've been trawling adverts and donedeal, there is a lot out there, but I spotted another option out here today on your site. The Pioneer HTP072. This is suitable budget wise, but what are the compromises by getting a single box solution? Any alternatives you can suggest. Whats the best price you could do delivered to Cork?

Thanks in advance,

James
    Hi James in the world of one box systems the Pioneer is very good value, currently it is priced at €329.99 delivered 
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=htp072&swapstore=1

The main downside of one box units is they can be limited in connections and the subwoofers tend to be passive meaning they use the amplifier in the main unit to power it.  Where as a separate amp and speaker system will have an active subwoofer meaning it has it's own amp built in.   

If it was me I would be thinking along the line of the Pioneer vsx329 at €249.99
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200613-vsx329.aspx

and a set of Pioneer SHS100 5.1 speakers at €136.99
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=shs100

Regards Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

Thanks Stephen,
    I'll do a bit of reading this evening on those. I'll definitely be coming back to Richer Sounds for my purchases though!
    Thanks,
    James

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks Stephen,
    I'll do a bit of reading this evening on those. I'll definitely be coming back to Richer Sounds for my purchases though!
    Thanks,
    James
    JamBur,

just another unit to add to the confusion!

We have just had a deal on the excellent Yamaha YHT2910 system - this is similar to the Pioneer HTP072 but its a better spec AV Receiver and also includes an active SUBWOOFER! its a really excellent Home Theatre package and the 5.1 speaker system is really a good sounding combo - the Amp has 4K pass through - its Ultra HD ready and also has 4 HDMI inputs as well as USB input so you can connect your smartphone / Pads - it generally seems to retail at around £450 - I have done a deal to go out at £299.95 / €369.99 ( the euro price includes delivery anywhere in Ireland)

Have a look at the specs here:
    http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-2910_w/?mode=model

Thanks again and as ever keep us posted if we can assist in any way,
    ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

Thanks Stephen,
    Thanks,
    James
    JamBur,

just another unit to add to the confusion!

We have just had a deal on the excellent Yamaha YHT2910 system - this is similar to the Pioneer HTP072 but its a better spec AV Receiver and also includes an active SUBWOOFER! its a really excellent Home Theatre package and the 5.1 speaker system is really a good sounding combo - the Amp has 4K pass through - its Ultra HD ready and also has 4 HDMI inputs as well as USB input so you can connect your smartphone / Pads - it generally seems to retail at around £450 - I have done a deal to go out at £299.95 / €369.99 ( the euro price includes delivery anywhere in Ireland)

http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-2910_w/?mode=model

Thanks again and as ever keep us posted if we can assist in any way,
    ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Well thats put me back at square one again:D A very nice option...........ye are legands! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 daneparkinson

Hey Guys,

Are you still doing a deal on  the Yamaha YHT2910 system?

I bought a panny from you last xmas and have got the 'OK' for a sound system this year.

Cheers,
    Dan

• Advertisement

Hey Guys,

Are you still doing a deal on  the Yamaha YHT2910 system?

I bought a panny from you last xmas and have got the 'OK' for a sound system this year.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Dan,

apologies for the delay getting back to you and the answer is Yes! we are doing the YHT2910 which really is an excellent system at just £299.95 / €369.99 ( euro price includes delivery) - this system is similar to the YHT1810 but also has an Active Subwoofer so the bass response is far better!

Unfortunately we still haven't had a chance to get this on our .ie website but if you would like to order just drop me a mail to sales@richersounds.ie or a PM with your contact details and I'll get one of the guys to give you a call to get one delivered out to you.

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

John,

Can you a DAB/FM tuner to this system?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,283 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

kneejerk wrote: »
    John,

Can you a DAB/FM tuner to this system?
    Hi Kneejerk.

Yip you could add a DAB/FM tuner to this system by connecting into the phono connection on the Yamaha.

If you don't already have a tuner then you could look at the Tibo DAB420 priced at £99.95
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12686-dab420.aspx?swapstore=1

the YHT2910 actually already includes an FM tuner and of course with the USB input you can stream radio via any USB device ( using an app like TuneIn radio if you wanted to - giving you access to just about all available stations across the globe!)

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.