Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homesick !!

Options
  • 01-11-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Guys !!

Sooo here I am in Canada ! -- myself and my boyfriend arrived a few weeks ago but here s the thing ... I was hoping a new place , new ppl etc new friends but that aint happening ?!

I have tried and pushed myself out to places and now just find myself giving up and keeping in touch on a daily basis with friends back in Ireland.
    My boyfriend is on a shift basis and working in camp most of the time ..

Any advice ?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You need to give it more than a few weeks! Get out and about and try and get involved in some local activities? Maybe cut down on being in touch with friends at home and give it a proper lash. If it ain't for you then, fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I'd say it would take more than a few weeks to find your feet and make friends. As the OP said I wouldn't spend all the time on your friends at home. Any local organisations you could join to meet some Canadians or maybe pursue a hobby - maybe get some information if you're near a library or your local newspaper? It does really take a while to get to know people when you move home no matter where you go. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Are you working? Have you joined any groups, gone to any networking events, etc? What area are you in?

It takes time to settle in, but the worst thing you can do is dwell on it and be in constant contact with people back in Ireland. It won't happen by magic overnight, you need to really work at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I have a feeling I'd easily slip into that sort of state OP as even before I've left I know exactly who I'm gonna miss and be in contact with.. I would say, find a beginners hockey team (or any sort of team) and get involved that way.. If you find a beer league they'll be more social and play for the craic more than for the trophy.. through them you will meet other people... Also next boards beers will have many peoole in your sutuation! But the feeling I've gotten from all these threads is that if you give it a good go you'll really enjoy it.. :) good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 stresscase69

Thanks guys for the replies , but im still in the same scenario !! -- Calgary is sooo boring !! -- And with the weather and winter after setting in - its like people just hibernate for the winter - bars are boring , trying to organize a coffee morning or anything - and get the response --- "I must check my schedule" (from a stay at home mother) mmm ... is it just me ?!!?! LOL !! ... Plus the company my boyfriend works for is messing him about big time and not sticking to a definite schedule --- any one else have this problem with camp work ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Thanks guys for the replies , but im still in the same scenario !! -- Calgary is sooo boring !! -- And with the weather and winter after setting in - its like people just hibernate for the winter - bars are boring , trying to organize a coffee morning or anything - and get the response --- "I must check my schedule" (from a stay at home mother) mmm ... is it just me ?!!?! LOL !! ... Plus the company my boyfriend works for is messing him about big time and not sticking to a definite schedule --- any one else have this problem with camp work ?!

Careful - You're starting to sound like a whinging Pom !......... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 stresscase69

Yup I am whinging !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- The grass aint always greener on the other side for sure --- EH !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

Yup I am whinging !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- The grass aint always greener on the other side for sure --- EH !?

Best advice is give till it after Christmas you may be feeling much more homesick than you usually would coz Christmas is almost upon us

Advertisement