Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something in my attic

• 01-11-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I've be hearing noises in my attic recently it's defiantly sum sort if animal. Don't think it's a mouse or rat, wel am hoping anyway. This exact time las yr we had the same problem with noise in the attic. We can hear it at any time during the day or night. Today I thought I heared something like a small stone falling Down on the plasterboard. I live in a old house which I done up las year no1 had lived in it 30 yrs previous. Wat else cud I hav if not a tat or mince??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Bats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Pine martins are notorious for getting into attics. Have you woodland nearly?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Panel mac

Bats?

My father has actually suggested bats also. Any ideas on best way 2 get rid? I don't hav much access to the attic I'd get my hand up but dat wud be it. Also now hearing them in the floorboards between downstairs and upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

How are you so sure that it isn't a rat? Only way to find out is go up and investigate, if it's rats you'll know straight away as you'll see burrows through the insulation or rats dirt.

Kovu wrote: »
    Pine martins are notorious for getting into attics. Have you woodland nearly?

What are pine martins?? No not hear woodland, but very close 2 a big farm.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How are you so sure that it isn't a rat? Only way to find out is go up and investigate, if it's rats you'll know straight away as you'll see burrows through the insulation or rats dirt.

I don't think it's Loud enough 4 a rat and am not hearing any of tat scratching that mince or rats would make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Panel mac wrote: »
    What are pine martins?? No not hear woodland, but very close 2 a big farm.

Think of a cross between a cat and a mink. Would you be able to get someone out to check? Because if it's not rats and if there's a possibility that it's bats/pine martins, both of those are protected under Irish law.

Also now hearing them in the floorboards between downstairs and upstairs.
    ^^ This bit sounds very rodenty to me!
    I've been told that there's a massive amount of them about this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Today I thought I heared something like a small stone falling Down on the plasterboard.

That's exactly what mice sound like when they're scuttling around above the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

My father has actually suggested bats also. Any ideas on best way 2 get rid? I don't hav much access to the attic I'd get my hand up but dat wud be it. Also now hearing them in the floorboards between downstairs and upstairs.

You're not allowed to get rid of bats, they're a protected species. If you have them then they'd be helping keep your house free of vermin and moths. Unfortunately* it sounds like you have a different problem if you can hear something between floors.

*I love bats. Used to have them in the loft in an old house and we'd switch the porch light on at dusk and watch them swoop to catch the moths.

There's easy access for watever it is 2 get from the floorboards 2 the attic as they can go up the back of the wall. As I left a space here wen doin up the the house from the old wall to the new wall. Also they seem to stop moving about when there's no noise ie when the tv is off etc. and then it'll start moving about again wen there is noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Dayo93

I heard stuff in the attic one night , then a few days later in the sitting room heard it in the ceiling , next night watching telly a mouse walked across the floor in the sitting room , worked his way down from the attic some how. A bit of spice burger in a trap got him

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's really unlikely to be bats at this time of year. They (specifically pipistrelles) use attics to brood their young in the summer months, but vacate for the winter months.
    They don't tend to be particularly noisy in the scratching/moving about department in any case.
    What you've described sounds rodenty to me too!

Advertisement