Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

IMO you have to want to give them up. That was the case with me anyway. I got fed up making sure I had enough to last the night, bank holidays, Christmas Day etc.
    The stress of getting the time to have one at breakfast ,before boarding a train, before starting work, before service in work. The routine of a smoke after dinner, a smoke with a coffee, a smoke with a pint.
    You have to want to give up and as meno says its mental. The routine has to be broken and for me that was the difficult part.
    I've read it takes three week to retrain the brain from a routine.
    For years after giving up I was still checking my pockets for a lighter and smokes before leaving the house.
    It's a habit and that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was prescribed something, might have been a predecessor of Champix? when I quit smoking. Hated it, felt wired all the time.
    The Allen Carr book, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking, is pretty good, much better than I expected.
    You have to break the habit. Identify the times when you are most likely to want to smoke, and either avoid those situations completely or fill them with something else. If that means avoiding the pub for the next month, do it. It's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Great session definitely good one for aerobic power,.

Regarding the smoking I would echo what Ed Mc said. The OH is currently off them 2 months after a few failed attempts and 10 years on them and said that the big difference this time was that she was not giving them up for an alternative reason (saving money, fitness etc) giving them up was the sole purpose and the other factors were just happy coincidences.

Break you current habits for a week by not doing the things you will associate with smoking (while having cup of tea, nights out even bringing dog for a walk) and try to keep the hands busy

It will be worth it in the end but rather than other people saying it to you, you have to fully believe it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

To add to the smoking encouragement (you're probably sick of it by now I'm sure)... Apparently there is research that suggests that if you give up before you're 30, there is little lasting damage to your health. (I don't have the source, before everyone jumps on it).

As an alternative to cold turkey... gradually reducing can help break the habit... Building in longer and longer times between smokes. I couldn't smoke at work, so spent a year having my first cigarette on a weekday at 6pm before finally quitting.

Finally... The more times you quit, the more likely you are to be successful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sorry NE, my bad :o for starting this but hopefully it helps to see all these athletic ex-smokers creeping springing out of the woodwork?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

ECOLII wrote: »
    Great session definitely good one for aerobic power,.

Regarding the smoking I would echo what Ed Mc said. The OH is currently off them 2 months after a few failed attempts and 10 years on them and said that the big difference this time was that she was not giving them up for an alternative reason (saving money, fitness etc) giving them up was the sole purpose and the other factors were just happy coincidences.

Break you current habits for a week by not doing the things you will associate with smoking (while having cup of tea, nights out even bringing dog for a walk) and try to keep the hands busy

It will be worth it in the end but rather than other people saying it to you, you have to fully believe it yourself

She probably gave them up to stop you nagging her :) (and no, nagging isn't a typo!!!)

Good luck with it NE, I gave them up years ago, but like RC says, I stopped going to the pub for a good few weeks to break the habit.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Another ex-smoker going to throw his tuppence worth in. I'll be 3 years off the smokes this Friday. Would agree that you have to want to give them up to succeed. However, if like me you have willpower of a lemming, hypnosis is an option worth considering. I know it has it's sceptics and is not for everyone.

I tried it as a last resort and never smoked since and didn't even go through the horrible withdrawal syptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I'm amused at all these people above with 'no willpower'... Who's been writing your training logs then? And impersonating you while doing long runs in hail/snow/heat etc???? :p

You all have tons of willpower and determination and discipline... Just shows how hard it is to give the damn things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Netwerk_Errer

Cheers for all the advice folks! Now, to put it in practice.

Wed 4th March-

AM: 3m Recovery

:eek: Stiff as a poker this morning getting out of bed, doing my best accidental Jimmy Carr impression trying to move around the house. To be expected though so I wasn't too bothered about it. The pace was very gentle and while this run served it's purpose, I didn't quite get the relief I was hoping for. Could've done with another mile or two to really get fully reinvigorated.

PM: 7m Steady

Cracking evening out there, the first spring like day I've seen this year and the evenings are starting to stretch out again. The bulk of the stiffness had disappeared by now but I was left with that flat feeling in my legs, Super fast training the day before is going to do that to me and shows I'm definitely hitting a weak spot in my running which is encouraging.

The run this evening was tough at times but I was happy to get out and hit the session I'd planned. The question is whether I'm strong enough yet to be doing this type of run between two workout days which is something I'll have to consider before a similar structure pops up again in 2 weeks time. I have no doubt that I will be ready to go again tomorrow but I feel I may have to weigh up how it will affect me in terms of cumulative fatigue. An easy run in it's place might suit me better for now.

In other news, I'm no longer a World record holder:(. Our marathon relay world record was broke last week by just under 2 minutes in Belfast, only lasted 6 weeks! From the sounds of things, another attempt seems to be on the cards soon.

Anyway, I'm off for a steaming hot bath of epsom salts to free out the legs.

Thu 5th March- 7m w/5k in 19:20(I think)

Had to head back into the UL 5k series to get my Garmin so I said I might as well jump into the race too. The lads had locked my watch into a drawer and had no keys but he said he would bust it out by the time I got back. I knew I wasn't going to have any shot at a PB in the middle of a training week so I was content in just making this a solid effort.

The legs had recovered tenfold compared to the day before and there was some ping in the stride but I still didn't want to push it. Taking the time from the guy in front, I finished around the 19:20 mark which is grand. There was definitely a lot more in the legs. One thing of note, quad strength is something to definitely focus on for a while. I feel I'm lacking there right now.

Got back, no sign of the watch. Still locked in the drawer. Talk of getting a crowbar out to open it until another guy walked in, pressed the safety button on the side and voilà, there it was. The week is going well so far and I'm happy and on the right track.

Now it's time to start dodging bullets though, one of the lads wants me to run the castleconnell 10k on Sunday and I find it very difficult to say no to a race. Gotta plan something else to keep my mind off running it, can't let the discipline slip already.

• Advertisement

Fri 6th Mar- 8m Easy (7:46)

Delighted to have the Garmin back. Even though I don't look at during a run like this, it's a handy tool for reflection on how I was going out there. The body was in good nick again today, ready to go as soon as I got out the door.

Good zip in the stride and a general good buzz all round. Definitely getting stronger as everyday is passing right now. Looks like this week is going to be over 50 miles after tomorrows long run and I'm going to keep building. I've probably only run over 50 a handful of times and I would love to be over 70 by the end of May. Should be interesting to see what kind of results I get in 5/10k off that training load. Usually only average about 25-30 in 10k training so this is going to be a big step up in work ethic outside of marathon training.

Hope it pays off which I have no doubt it will if I can stay consistent and injury free.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

What's the plan race wise after May? Ballyhoura series?? Any target race in particular?

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    What's the plan race wise after May? Ballyhoura series?? Any target race in particular?

Definitely going to do a few of the ballyhoura series if I can. Kilfinane and Kilmallock are probably the most likely I'd say if they don't clash with Munster Track.

The plan going forward now is:

March:

29th Munster 4 mile championship

April:

4th Ballybunion 10k

17th Feet on the street NCW 5k

May:

7th County T+F 3000m

14th County T+F Mile (5000m if we're stuck for a team)

23rd Mungret st Pauls 10k

or

John Buckley BHAA 5k

June:

No dates yet

Kilmallock 5 mile

Kilfinane 5 mile

Munster T+F 3000m steeplechase

July:

Run Killarney 10k

Probably a few more to be add as I go but that's all I know now. Nothing set in stone as a target race really yet. Going to race as much as I can this year. Might even run a half over the summer.

You'll be doing a lot of the ballyhoura series, will ya? Getting the feeling from the log that you're itching to race.

Wouldn't mind doing some of the Ballyhoura races after Limerick. Did you ever do the Coillte 10k in Dundrum? Fast, flat course - pb'd by 90 secs there last year (2nd of July). Hope to have a crack at sub 40 there this year. Good club race, long established & deep field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hope to have a crack at sub 40 there this year.

Biggest case of this so far this year!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Biggest case of this so far this year!!!

It's a long way off - I'll get back to ya nearer the time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

It's a long way off - I'll get back to ya nearer the time ;)

Exactly the point i'm making.

Wouldn't mind doing some of the Ballyhoura races after Limerick. Did you ever do the Coillte 10k in Dundrum? Fast, flat course - pb'd by 90 secs there last year (2nd of July). Hope to have a crack at sub 40 there this year. Good club race, long established & deep field.

Haven't done it before because it clashes with the Waterford half only a few days before, sounds good though! Definitely give it a shot this year. I'm sensing a battle coming on.:D

You're in cracking form man! had a look at the 1000 mile challenge the other day, 3rd:eek:. Putting it up to Krusty and Ray Lanigan! Gotta be confident heading to into marathon.

Haven't done it before because it clashes with the Waterford half only a few days before, sounds good though! Definitely give it a shot this year. I'm sensing a battle coming on.:D

You're in cracking form man! had a look at the 1000 mile challenge the other day, 3rd:eek:. Putting it up to Krusty and Ray Lanigan! Gotta be confident heading to into marathon.

Not sure about the battle but hope to be there anyway :)
    Mileage clocking up alright & the body is holding up - not quite putting up to the 2 boys though :pac:

Sat 8th March- 13m Easy (7:54)

All the lads are running Ballycotton tomorrow so I was left all on my lonesome today for the long run. Decided to take on the fearsome Knocfierna 10 mile loop for this(the easy way round:)).

The body was feeling alright but I was still dreading the thoughts of going out the door. The first 4 miles were on the tougher side because of the slight incline finishing up with an 12% climb for the last 400m before it goes all downhill back home. That climb is was a complete ballbuster and my pace for that section fell of to near 10 min/mile but relief came right at the top.

Cruised back down the hill averaging under 7 minute pace which was a true easy effort given the decline. Finished up with a smaller loop around home.

All good:) The body is holding up a lot better than I thought it would during a tough week. Except for Wednesdays second run, I felt pretty good the whole time.

• Advertisement

Mon 9th Mar-

AM: 4m Easy (7:45)

Nice run out in windy conditions. Being only a half hour long, the wind is only a tiny obstacle and I was never going to be under pressure. The time flew and I felt good. Just keeping tabs on having a light and airy turnover in my stride and not letting my feet slap off the ground. Keep it under control was the goal.

PM: 6m Easy (7:53)

Again, I felt good and the wind had died down since morning. I'm not quite sure what to make of the fresh feeling I've felt over the last couple of weeks, It's a bit mind boggling because I'm usually up and down and all over the shop when it comes to How I physically feel on a day to day basis for a nearly a solid year now. Not sure what yet but something is changing. Even my Tfl which used to shout at me at some stage during every run has zipped it's mouth and taking a holiday, hopefully it emigrated!:)

Tue 10th March- 8m inc. 12x400m @3k pace w/45s recovery(83s avg)

Back to track in CastleIsland for this session with one of the lads. This was always going to be a difficult one. Joined up with a few lads from An Riocht who were doing an easy run for the first few miles. It only dawned on me after 2 miles that the average pace was 6.55 so I pulled back and left them off.

I was slightly nervous going into this workout because of the short recovery and a decent pace at the same time. The first 5-6 were grand but it definitely started to get tougher from here on in. Running the workout by myself made it difficult but we'll chalk that down for a gain in mental strength. Form was good throughout and held I held even splits for all the repeats.

As tough as it was tonight, I still felt I could've squeezed out an extra 2 at that pace if I wanted which is the feeling I'm aiming for in all my workouts. Still, a tough test and I'm very happy with how it went. The legs feel great now, probably won't in the morning but that's another day.

Thumbs up!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Sorry bout that folks. Something happened that got my blood boiling and I made an kneejerk reaction. I'm getting in dr q territory with accounts in the last 3 weeks. The next time, I won't make the same rash decision and if I do, just ignore it, I ain't going anywhere and am just throwing a tantrum.

Wed 11th March-

AM: 4m Easy (7:48)

PM: 6m Easy (7:52)

Thur 12th March- 7m w/ 20 minutes uptempo @ 6:25

Fri 13th March- 8m Easy (7:55)

Sat 14th March- 13m w/50min steady (7:37 for the total run) 7:20ish for steady section.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You know its possible to take a break from boards without closing your account right? At least your in good company on your turd third account.

adrian522 wrote: »
    You know its possible to take a break from boards without closing your account right? At least your in good company on your turd third account.

Yep, I know. I'm like a stroppy teenager when when I get in a bad mood, it's the end of the world. I think I think I've made enough of a fool of myself now to learn my lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Yep, I know. I'm like a stroppy teenager when when I get in a bad mood, it's the end of the world. I think I think I've made enough of a fool of myself now to learn my lesson.
    Don't sweat it, good to see you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

paddybarry wrote: »
    Don't sweat it, good to see you back.

Amen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

adrian522 wrote: »

Feck off. You havent lived until you are on your third boards account :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I'm amazed you can find so many versions of the same name.

• Advertisement

Mon 16th Mar- 9m Easy (7:51)

Grand!:)

Tue 17th Mar- 8x800m @5k pace w/90s rec

That was the plan anyway but it didn't happen. Headed into the track in UL for this but after 3, I had to pull the plug, the legs were dead through a combination of booze the night before and lack of food. I probably could of knocked out a few more reps at the risk of passing out but the effort was way too high to get the stimulus I wanted from this workout so it wasn't worth it in my book.

Done 8x100 hard and 30 steeple jumps while I was waiting around for one of the lads to finish his workout. Hurdling technique is getting noticeable better already. I'm really not too disappointed with the workout as I haven't missed or blown one in a while so just going to chalk it down to a bad day(hangover) and move on.

Advertisement