Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

You're sick!!! Rest and get better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Tue 31st March- 4m Easy

Today was supposed to be a 3k time trial but I was going to do but decided to pull the plug on it at the startline. I feel much better in the flu department but I think I done some heavy damage to my muscles and prolonged the sickness racing through it on Sunday and had a case of DOMS to rival post marathon stiffness. Every step gave that squishy, strainy feel in my quads and calves so I decided to just go with an easy effort in the hope that it would free out the legs for the days to come.

The legs feel much better today for it, haven't run yet but there seems to be some strength there for the first time in over a week so I'll see how it pans out later.

In other news, finally got my new track spikes and racers. A bit on the flamboyant side in colour so I'll have to up my track game to avoid to get away with wearing them. I hadn't a clue they were going to be that colour........I swear! The lads are going a field day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Get back to bed and put the lid on the shoe box or you'll never get any sleep :D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Get back to bed and put the lid on the shoe box or you'll never get any sleep :D

Haha DG! Have to look on the bright side, cheaper electric bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Haha DG! Have to look on the bright side!

can it get any brighter! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

From the general rule of thumb that the brilliance of a runner's runners is directly related to a runner's brilliance, I'd be sticking behind you for a lap or two at least. Just from the sheer intimidation.

Well wear.

Thu 2nd April- 4m inc. 5x400m @3k pace w/60 rec

Headed back to the track in Castleisland for this, not sure why with as the session was short. Feeling much better and I think I finally shook off the flu but I didn't want to lose the plot and try a big workout so soon. The aim was just to get some speed in for Saturday to give myself a decent shot at a good run.

The last few weeks have been a complete disaster and I felt a niggle again last night, It wasn't in my groin as such but down the medial side of my quad and started off as a loss of coordination but no real pain. It declared a mutiny on me and took on a mind of it's own, strange! Anyhoo, all seems well today so I'm still going to go ahead with the race tomorrow.

Best of everything tomorrow! What's the plan for the race? (hint, no weaving :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck in tomorrow NE, have a good one.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Best of everything tomorrow! What's the plan for the race? (hint, no weaving :D )

Cheers folks! The plan is to survive and learn. The head is always a few hundred meters ahead of my body DG so I'm starting to feel deluded confident of having a good day even though nothing has gone right in the buildup.

The course is a ballbreaker so I'd be happy if I went under 41 all things considered which would be a course PB but as usual for no known reason, I'll sense a PB is there for the taking at the startline making anything possible. Hopefully, I'll surprise myself whether that's 42 minutes or 39. Something to suggest I'm chugging down the right track would be nice.

Well done last night, cracking run!:)

• Advertisement

How'd you go?

tang1 wrote: »
    How'd you go?

Had to get a ride in the ambulance B, first ever road dnf. Medic reckons I had a heart flutter mid race. I had to refuge in a bush after 3k, got up and continued on to 7k before I was pulled from the race. He doesn't think it's serious and it shouldn't affect my ability to run but wants me to go for a cardiac stress test. If it comes back positive for a flutter, I'll need to get medication to stop the lightheadedness and I should be grand. I'm in no danger anyway!

Jesus hope your ok, get yourself sorted dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jeez NE, and you were worried about the quad! Have that looked at for sure - not the first time something line that happened if I remember correctly from your log. Tough break today.

I'm grand now lads, they only lasted a minute and then gone. Nothing near as intense as the last time but I'll definitely get it looked at with a stress test. Nothing has showed up in the EKG's so I'll have to go that one step farther this time.

Sh1t buzz NE. Hope you get to the bottom of this.

Definitely get it checked out... you probably didn't give yourself enough recuperation time this week. scarey though, hope you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Jesus... That's quite frightening all the same. Hope you get it thoroughly checked out, and get answers. I had a few similar scares when I started going to the gym trying to lose all the weight. Turns out my issue was excessive caffeine!

Problem solved I hope. Turns out I'm iron and magnesium deficient which makes a lot of sense now when I look back. I've been sick for over 2 weeks. I've had pain in my tongue and inflammation. Ridges on my nails and low levels of endurance. From looking at my nails, my doc says this has being going on for months at the very least. I haven't been the same since the DCM last October. My performance has dropped off hugely in that time for no particular reason I could see.

It's not the first time I've had these symptoms. After the DCM 13, I had all of them for nearly 6 months which I put down to overtraining when in fact, It now looks like I was deficient back then too. My physio recommended last April that I take supplements for training to be on the safe side, he could tell I was magnesium deficient so I went and got Iron and magnesium supplements. I didn't realise it at the time but that now looks like the reason why performance started to increase exponentially over the next two months. I thought I had just got out of the overtraining cycle.

He said that a heart arrhythmia is a symptom of an iron deficiency. Still going to get a stress test for peace of mind and certainty but if this is the cause, it's good news and explains a lot!:)

Problem solved I hope. Turns out I'm iron and magnesium deficient which makes a lot of sense now when I look back. I've been sick for over 2 weeks. I've had pain in my tongue and inflammation. Ridges on my nails and low levels of endurance. From looking at my nails, my doc says this has being going on for months at the very least. I haven't been the same since the DCM last October. My performance has dropped off hugely in that time for no particular reason I could see.

It's not the first time I've had these symptoms. After the DCM 13, I had all of them for nearly 6 months which I put down to overtraining when in fact, It now looks like I was deficient back then too. My physio recommended last April that I take supplements for training to be on the safe side, he could tell I was magnesium deficient so I went and got Iron and magnesium supplements. I didn't realise it at the time but that now looks like the reason why performance started to increase exponentially over the next two months. I thought I had just got out of the overtraining cycle.

He said that a heart arrhythmia is a symptom of an iron deficiency. Still going to get a stress test for peace of mind and certainty but if this is the cause, it's good news and explains a lot!:)

Good stuff, now go get some iron & magnesium supplements.

• Advertisement

Has to be good news if it gets to the bottom of things! Here's hoping it's this and fixable :)

That does make a lot of sense, hopefully the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good to hear, I do remember reading something about heart-flutter and iron a while back :). But I guess do the stress-test just in case.

Wed 8th March- 5m Easy (8:06)

Headed out this morning for this one. Finally got some zing back after the last 2 weeks of flu like symptoms that wouldn't go away. Just the sniffles hanging around now. Happy to be get out!:) Got a sports massage too just to keep an eye on the abductor, The therapist seems happy enough with it at the moment but we will be treating it.

PM: 56KM Easy Cycle

First time out on the bike in ages. Plan was to clear out the head and work the glutes. Always find that cycling is the best decongestant because of the length of time at aerobic effort and this ticked the box. Epic evening for a leisurely spin!:)

Due to unforeseen circumstances, my running log will be doubling as a cycling log for the next week too for the next week or so. Apologies to anyone who takes offence!:D The physio doesn't want me to do have a lot of impact until he sees me again next Tuesday so I have to do something and it's a perfect opportunity to dust the bike.

Thur 9th April- 5m Easy (7:56)

Had a scheduled speed session today but that will have to go on the backburner this week. I felt pretty good today, there's nothing quite like a sunny morning and an easy run, an absolute pleasure to out and about. The quads were a little bit rowdy after yesterdays exploits but that was to be expected. There's weakness there at the minute but it should be sorted in time. No abductor pain though which is a welcome relief.:)

PM: 48K Cycle w/4x2.2m Hill Repeats

Tough Workout as the legs aren't quite up to scratch for climbing after a near 6 month hiatus. Climb averages out at around 6% with a max grade of 10% or so at the summit. Huffed and puffed my way through this. Feeling really good now!:)

Might as well post a pic of the bike if I'm posting pics of my shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Very nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Very nice :)

If you had your way he'd be posting pictures of his swimming armbands ;)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

If you had your way he'd be posting pictures of his swimming armbands ;)

TbL
    I was going to suggest he post his pic here where it would get the attention it deserves but your spot on I'm sure swimming would do him the world of good and I'll bet NE looks very fetching in lycra :D

I was going to suggest he post his pic here where it would get the attention it deserves but your spot on I'm sure swimming would do him the world of good and I'll bet NE looks very fetching in lycra :D

Thanks CM! I prefer to roll like this though.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/images/9/55289-large_012_Superfrog2012.jpg

You wouldn't believe how many heads I turn gliding through town:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Why do you park your bike in front of the fridge??

Advertisement