Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Why do you park your bike in front of the fridge??

Something has to go there J. I can't afford food after paying for it.:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What's the bike? just bought a Giant Defy myself.

adrian522 wrote: »
    What's the bike? just bought a Giant Defy myself.

It's a 2014 Giant tcr-1 composite with a full Ultegra drivetrain Adrian. Full respray and some lightweight mavic wheels going on it soon hopefully.

Is it your first road bike? How you finding it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, first road bike (Tiagra), enjoying it, but really just commuting on it at the moment. Not much time for cycling with all the running I'm doing. Though I did get a 50km spin in last weekend, which was fun.

Yeah, first road bike (Tiagra), enjoying it, but really just commuting on it at the moment. Not much time for cycling with all the running I'm doing. Though I did get a 50km spin in last weekend, which was fun.

Good stuff! Welcome to the triangular ass club or just ass club if you believe some people's opinions on cyclists around here:)

• Advertisement

Good stuff! Welcome to the triangular ass club or just ass club if you believe some people's opinions on cyclists around here:)

Yeah, not sure I could ever be a fully fledged cyclist but I do enjoy the odd long spin in the sunshine.

Yeah, not sure I could ever be a fully fledged cyclist but I do enjoy the odd long spin in the sunshine.

Same as myself. Nice to do something to get out and about and break up the intensity of pushing yourself in running.

Fri 10th April- 5m Easy (7:53)

Sat 11th April- 8m Easy (8:06)

Windy morning out there. Nothing to report really, felt grand.

Sunday 12th March- 5m (8:04)

Fell asleep on the couch yesterday evening so I didn't make it to the pub, dodged a bullet there I think as it meant I was able to run this morning for another easy 5 mile run today. Praying to the running gods that my physio gives me the all clear to get back into speedwork and some solid mileage after this Tuesday's appointment. We're back doing the club sessions on the grass in the park so I'm itching to get out there with the lads, it's my favourite run of the week. Felt pretty good today, loving the adios boost. Quickly overtaking the Asics Hyperspeed 5 as my favourite ever shoe. The abductor is keeping quiet so I'm beaming with that.

The half in Limerick is only 3 weeks away:eek: and I really haven't done a tap in nearly a month. Not going to be a goal race but just going to do it for the craic and the weekend that's in it. Still like to think I would cruise under 1.30. Suprised myself there last year going into it in very similar circumstances in training and ran 1.27:27, just over a minute slower than my PB and it really kickstarted my year so something similar wouldn't go amiss again. Anyway, waffling over. I'm happy out and looking forward to it:)

Mon 13th April- 5m Easy(8:06)

Sweet morning for this run. The body felt good, I've made a decision to slow down my easy runs for the time being. I think it's wise decision right now as I was probably slightly overcooking it for the last while when my fitness is not where it used to be. My easy runs usually end up just above 8 minutes when I wear a watch that's not a Garmin so I'm going to keep it in that range hopefully. 7:40-7:50ish is probably a little too much. No sign of the niggle again today so fingers crossed that all goes well and I get news tomorrow evening. Already doing more than I was two weeks ago so the positives are there, would still love to be doing more but that's always going to be the case. On track!:)

PM- 56KM Hills And Fartlek

Headed out with the cycling club for this which was always going to be a tough ask. The name of the game was attack and cover on hills, very like a blind interval session, it's completely mental! Anyone can attack or raise the pace at any minute and you have to cover. If you can't, tough luck and you're left on your own to fight the wind. This was tough as I had 20k in the legs before we even started. Needless to say, I wasn't doing any attacking but just trying to cover and hold the wheel out front. The aim was simple, see how much pain I could take. The string finally broke after 25K and I was left to my own devices to finish the ride swimming in a lake of lactic. Body and quads feel great now. Badly needed rustbuster and great to get that feel for suffering back.

Still hoping I can get back off the bike and back into building the running miles this week.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 14th April- 6m inc. 1x12min, 2x6min........

Got the all clear to get back into speedtraining and racing from the physio though I'm pretty sure he didn't mean an hour after the appointment. I paid my price for my Muppetry in the end, The session was in what could be called a meadow and my glutes were pretty fatigued after yesterdays cycling and all combined to make it happen again. I should know better by now but yet, I seem to be an expert in ignorance. The abductor went pop, a lot worse than last time, finding it difficult to walk right now. I'm losing the will, it's just one problem on top of another with no light at the end for the last 6 months. I guess I'll have to struggle on in the search of better days but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely pissed off. I should be so much better than I am right now. One step forward and two steps back.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You just have to live in hope it gets better, in past 4 years i've had plantar faciitis, two knee ops, torn labrum in my left hip, shin splints, i'm sure i'm missing something. I keep coming back in the hope it will click in to place eventually and my body wont let me down. You like me love running & will be back stronger than ever no doubt. Keep the chin up, it will improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I'm a bit like yourself at the moment NE, having some problems with injuries. I coming to realise that these things come in batches and maybe it's your bodies way of telling you to ease off a little. You have to try and help yourself here, that speed session was a bad idea and unfortunately you paid for it. We all do it, myself I jumped into a track session too soon a few weeks ago and strained my calf. However it wasn't until someone pointed it out to me that I realised how stupid it was.

Some good advice I got off ecoli a few years ago is to take your rehab/recovery as serious as your training. Do the icing/strength/stretching/gym and put as much effort into it as you would your training. And learn from these mistakes, that's the hardest part. And keep the head up, I was feeling the same last week as you do now but by the next morning I talked myself around and got my rehab plan in place. Maybe that's a good place to start. Good luck.

tang1 wrote: »
    You just have to live in hope it gets better, in past 4 years i've had plantar faciitis, two knee ops, torn labrum in my left hip, shin splints, i'm sure i'm missing something. I keep coming back in the hope it will click in to place eventually and my body wont let me down. You like me love running & will be back stronger than ever no doubt. Keep the chin up, it will improve.

Jaysus B! That's some list of battle scars, fairplay to you for sticking with it!

I know there's better days ahead, the aul motivation has taken a kicking and is pretty low. The only way to get it back is to keep pushing, it's all part and parcel of running. Still annoyed though!

Cheers man!

pconn062 wrote: »
    I'm a bit like yourself at the moment NE, having some problems with injuries. I coming to realise that these things come in batches and maybe it's your bodies way of telling you to ease off a little. You have to try and help yourself here, that speed session was a bad idea and unfortunately you paid for it. We all do it, myself I jumped into a track session too soon a few weeks ago and strained my calf. However it wasn't until someone pointed it out to me that I realised how stupid it was.

Some good advice I got off ecoli a few years ago is to take your rehab/recovery as serious as your training. Do the icing/strength/stretching/gym and put as much effort into it as you would your training. And learn from these mistakes, that's the hardest part. And keep the head up, I was feeling the same last week as you do now but by the next morning I talked myself around and got my rehab plan in place. Maybe that's a good place to start. Good luck.

Thanks P! Sage advice.

Friday 17th April- 5m Race(31:56)

Physio done some work last night and set me free to race today. He's now sure it's my an impinged nerve because of the lack of coordination in my leg. Needed to be released but I should be able to continue on as normal with some good stretching and strength work on my glutes.

Big surprise this evening. I wasn't expecting much and I got a lot in return. Had no watch because the battery was dead so I was beaming when I crossed line to hear the time. Big change from barely breaking 27 for 4 miles a couple of weeks ago and all things considered with my crappy training for the last month. Absolutely stoked! A course PB and that was the most I could wish for. Report to come tomorrow.

Nice going E, hopefully things are looking up for you now. Great running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great stuff NE! Delighted for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done. Nice work - you earned a break:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jaysus NE, you're like Lazarus. Impossible to keep you down. Nice run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great stuff NE, its only the start of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

That's savage stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Congrats! A lovely time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Murph_D wrote: »
    Jaysus NE, you're like Lazarus. Impossible to keep you down. Nice run!

Bounce-back-ability :D:D

Well done NE, good to see ya get a bit of the auld mojo back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

That's more like it! Delighted to see your injury is not a side-liner too.

(Just a teeensy word of caution....festina lente! Our grannies (and mammies) would say "less haste, more speed" :D cos I know you are just dying to jump back right in there ;) )

Feet The Street 5 Mile(31:56)

Thanks folks! I hear ya DG, not going to jump straight back into the deepend, The plan is to start building again. Up the walls all Weekend so just getting around to this now. The plan was always to do this race as it's in the middle of the club stomping ground and where I done most of my long runs for the DCM last year. Third time racing this exact same route, the only difference being a new name and organisers in Athletics Limerick. Safe to say I'm pretty familiar with all the intricacies and such or so I thought, Too much yapping on my long runs meant I'd run the course close to 50 times I'd didn't have as good a recollection as I should of what it's like to run it.

The main goal was pretty simple, finish the race and give an effort to be proud. B goal was a sub-33, strange to have a B goal faster than the A but that's how my twisted logic works at times. If I had a Z goal, pretty sure it would've been to take the win. Dreaming aside, I would've taken either goal as a step in the right direction. Miles away from a PB but I didn't have much cause for confidence heading into it.

Pre-Race

Arrived back about an hour before the start and met up with a few of the lads and straight into the usual smack talk, hazing and general messing. Jaysus! I was nervous, a lot more than usual, not sure why but I think the thought of having to pull out during the race was playing about in my head. Done a gentle warm-up and more stretching than usual. Didn't want to risk having to pull the plug before the race even started so an easy mile would suffice. The watch battery was dead which meant I was showing a little more wrist than usual which I feel worked a treat for me in the end. The usual race mindgames were almost completely vanquished and I found myself asking the question, can I push harder more and more than the usual, oh sh*t!! The pace is too hot, the pace is falling off. Effort was king.

Race

Lined up for the start and the legs felt zingy. Spotted a coach from another club at the line who usually starts slow and ramps it up as the markers flash by. The plan was to sit in behind him and hold off a bit. I knew the first 2 miles were the hardest with a lot of hills so just eased myself into it. After only 800 metres, I found myself in the usual position of being completely isolated, 30 metre gap up to the group in front and the same to the group behind. First warning light started to flicker after passing the first mile marker, my quads were starting to burn. Breathing was ok though so I took this as a sign that I hadn't completely lost my mind and hammered the first mile.

Next up was toughest part of the course, from about 1.5 to 3 miles, the route has a lot of undulations in the form of short sharp hills. Unusually, I dealt with these fairly well but didn't quite have the big gear to push and take advantage of the downhills like I normally do. My stride was on the messy side going down. At this point, I'd completely lost sight of the group ahead and the group behind for the moment anyway. Next up was corkscrew hill and the biggest challenge on the course. Kept the mantra "short and sweet" on repeat for the hill, short stride, high turnover and drive the arms, worked a charm and I pushed on up with the thought of relief waiting on the other side. The quads were really starting to burn and my breathing was becoming laboured as I took the turn at the 3 mile marker.

This section of road from exactly 3 miles to 4 miles is one of the most deceiving roads I have ever run, ranks even than the last 3 miles of the Cork Marathon for anyone familiar with that race. It's arrow straight for a mile with a slight decline for the first half and slight incline for the second. So straight that I could see my coach in the lead nearly 4 minutes ahead at that stage. It's still by far the fastest part of the course and I could feel the speed increase as soon as I laid my foot on it. Started to gain a lot of momentum even though I could barely breathe.

The last mile was just a case of keeping the momentum I gained as much as possible and pushed across the line for an unofficial time of 31:56 and a 7th place finish. Just lacking that extra gear is the only complaint I can make, a little stale but that's to be expected.
    Absolutely beaming with the result and effort. Didn't expect to even come close to it before the start. The endorphins were flowing and I haven't felt this happy with a race in a long time even though it wasn't a PB, it felt like it was. A step in the right direction again and hopefully not another false dawn. Hopefully, I can put all the drama of the last few months behind and get on with running well.:)

Well done again man, keep it smart & you'll reap the rewards, you that anyway.

You know of any decent races about Limerick/Clare for the week of 21-28th of June? In Lisdoonvarna that week & wouldn't mind doing a race. Have checked usual places, but nothing, thought you might have some inside info for me. Except the Clare 10k, not running that poxy thing.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    You know of any decent races about Limerick/Clare for the week of 21-28th of June? In Lisdoonvarna that week & wouldn't mind doing a race. Have checked usual places, but nothing, thought you might have some inside info for me. Except the Clare 10k, not running that poxy thing.

Haven't heard of anything yet man. All the decent races are on Friday evenings around here during the Summer and the Ballyhoura series has a break week the weekend of the Clare 10k. I'm pretty sure there's been a 5k on around that time in Shannon for the last few years, haven't heard about it this year yet though. It's a fun run but pulls a few solid runners and is chip timed afaik.

I'll keep an ear out anyway and let you know if I hear of anything.

Advertisement