Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Do, if you hear of anything give me a shout, might meet up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Monday 20th April- 5m Easy

Untimed run on the trails. Completely ditching the watch from now on unless I need it for distance on road intervals. My runs will be timed by Zen(which is not a new brand of Garmin) like they used to be. The body felt good today, hadn't run since Friday I was well and truly recovered. A little nervy pain again towards the end. Clamshells, hip raises and a good foam roll straight away when I got home. Grand!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great stuff, seeing as Bungy Girl has joined the GARMIN club, nice to see the side being balanced :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Great stuff, seeing as Bungy Girl has joined the GARMIN club, nice to see the side being balanced :D

No wonder NE has been appearing in your dreams :)

Tue 21st April- 4m Easy

Groin at me again, losing all coordination in my leg so cut this short and walked home:( another physio appointment last night. Put me up on the treadmill last night to get a good look at my gait pattern. He's a bit on the obsessive side so I get this going over everytime I come with a new injury. My gait pattern has changed since I last done this in August. Normally, I have a narrow gait width but it has considerably widened since then. The narrow gait usually is the cause of my IT band and TfL problems. For some reason, my gait has widened and is now putting the pressure on my adductor(I've been calling it the abductor by mistake) which is short and pressing on my nerve in the groin causing the pain. He asked me to go out today and purposely keep my gait narrow and see what happens.

Wed 22nd April- 6m Easy

:D Sweet relief!!:) My first run in ages without even a hint of a niggle:D. Kept my gait narrow and the difference is huge. I actually had a nervy pain heading out the door where a cough would bend me over in pain but it had completely vanished by the time I had done the warmup. Absolutely buzzing now, my groin feels better now then it did when I started the run. Everything feels loose. Really happy!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Physio seems to know his stuff!

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Physio seems to know his stuff!

Hopefully, he does! he's been good so far.

What's your story man? How's the ninja training going and any plans set in stone yet?

Ah keeping it quiet enough NE! Training away but haven't the time i.e. too lazy to keep up the log :D In ok shape. Did 2 10ks this year and my first xc race. I really must do more racing! Another 10k this Sunday in Cuffesgrange in Kilkenny. Sub 38 is the target. (38:08 PB) Touch and go on that one. The big one for the year though is the Frankfurt marathon which is the day before Dublin. All activity for the year is geared towards that and hopefully the elusive sub 3!! There are about 6 of us from the club committed to it so it'll be a bit of craic during the training for it too. I'd be hoping to get a decent half in the lead up to Frankfurt as well. I'm looking at the P&D 12 week 55-70 plan for Frankfurt. It'll be at the limit of what the body will be able for. It's creaking as it is on 40-50 miles a week! I have an ongoing glute hamstring issue that isn't stopping me running but is a bit of a nuisance. Unlike yourself I won't be able to ditch the auld garmin though! I'm a slave to the fupping thing, and strava too! Glad to see all is good with yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Another 10k this Sunday in Cuffesgrange in Kilkenny. Sub 38 is the target. (38:08 PB)

Grand job, I slot in behind you at the start and try to hold on :-)

Grand job, I slot in behind you at the start and try to hold on :-)

Goway outta that!! Other way round I'd say! And you after having a sneaky recon run on the course and all!! ;-)

• Advertisement

Ah keeping it quiet enough NE! Training away but haven't the time i.e. too lazy to keep up the log :D In ok shape. Did 2 10ks this year and my first xc race. I really must do more racing! Another 10k this Sunday in Cuffesgrange in Kilkenny. Sub 38 is the target. (38:08 PB) Touch and go on that one. The big one for the year though is the Frankfurt marathon which is the day before Dublin. All activity for the year is geared towards that and hopefully the elusive sub 3!! There are about 6 of us from the club committed to it so it'll be a bit of craic during the training for it too. I'd be hoping to get a decent half in the lead up to Frankfurt as well. I'm looking at the P&D 12 week 55-70 plan for Frankfurt. It'll be at the limit of what the body will be able for. It's creaking as it is on 40-50 miles a week! I have an ongoing glute hamstring issue that isn't stopping me running but is a bit of a nuisance. Unlike yourself I won't be able to ditch the auld garmin though! I'm a slave to the fupping thing, and strava too! Glad to see all is good with yourself!

Good stuff. You've plenty of time to buildup to the plan anyway so the mileage mightn't be a problem come July. Hopefully, it comes together this time.

All the best on Sunday lads!

Thurs 23rd April- 4m Shakeout

All good! Still not fully trustworthy of the groin so kept this to a small 1 and a bit mile route close to home. The legs felt good which I'd expect from the volume of running I'm doing at the moment. Kept this in between easy and recovery with 5 150m acceels(50m accel, 50m sprint, 50m stride). A little worried about the groin because of the transition from sprint to stride feels a little funky but I survived.

Fri 24th April- 8miles w/5 mile race(34:xx)

No results posted for this yet so I haven't a clue what I ran. My excuse this time is GI issues so moving along quickly, the iron is causing me problems in that area. Tough course and I probably went out too fast for the first two miles and really felt it early. Probably a little too early yet to be shooting for PB's but I can't help it. Had to stop about halfway to leave my stomach settle. I ran pretty hard otherwise so I'm putting this down as a good workout.

Sat 25th April- 10m (8:06)

Being out on the lush the night before and had a late night but I'm was panicking about the doing a half marathon next week so I pulled myself out the door Saturday evening for this. It's been a long time since I ran this far so I was pretty pleased with myself and how the body reacted. No niggles and no real fatigue. I feel my body is starting to finally come around a little from the iron. The run more than likely won't do anything for my fitness this close to the half but was definitely a confidence builder. It's not a goal race and more for the craic and the session but I'd still like to run a decent race.

Mon 27th April- 5m Easy

All good!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

NE, what advice would you give someone who had some recent niggles, were unable to hold themselves back in a race, hadn't ran more than 10 miles in a while and who intended to run a HM next week, eh? Would you say they were asking for trouble?:D

NE, what advice would you give someone who had some recent niggles, were unable to hold themselves back in a race, hadn't ran more than 10 miles in a while and who intended to run a HM next week, eh? Would you say they were asking for trouble?:D

Haha!:D ah yes, the irony! I'd say it wouldn't be a smart move. Dammit! I'm struggling to find a way to justify running it now other than just headstrong stupidity. The plan was always to run it without any specific training and just do it for the craic. I know my PB is out of reach for this so I don't feel my discipline will slip as there isn't a hope I could string together 13 6:30 miles right now. I know I haven't been able to hold myself back in the shorter races this year but that's because I'm not afraid of blowing up in them, the half is a different story.

As it's not a goal race, I'm not adverse to pulling the plug at any point during the run if a niggle starts to act up and I will certainly be holding back from the gun. My target time is 4 minutes slower than my PB so I'm not putting myself under huge pressure to perform. If this was a marathon, I would've pulled the plug a month ago but I feel my base mileage from Dec-Mar is more than sufficient to get me through. I don't feel fitness will be an issue as I've ran full half marathon cycles on less mileage than I've put in the last month where I didn't have the backup of good mileage before it.

The niggles are the most concerning part but my physio has given me the all clear to run it. Is it a smart move? most definitely not but it's something I want to do and won't be doing to the limit of my capabilities which considerably lowers the risk in my opinion. As the niggle is happen when my knee is high in the stride, I feel the injury risk is higher the shorter the distance of racing is with sprints and strides being the biggest cause of pain. I didn't have any problems with it Friday evening where my knee drive was high on a lot of hills which was the toughest test yet. If it bothers me at any point this week or during the half, I'll pull the plug straightaway.

Twisted logic, I know... and you are right Barry, it's not the best decision but as my home city race, I can't get away from this one and I just want to test the waters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

And the award for the shortest race report ever goes to....

NetwerkError!!

Decent running on that route all the same.

Tue 28th April- 7m inc. 2x2m, 1x1m @ 10k effort w/3min rec

Back into the sessions with a bang this evening. These were done in a field where the grass hasn't been cut in 6 months and was a foot high in places. Absolutely thumping down with rain, driving wind and bitter cold, still shaking like a leaf as I write this so today wasn't one for style. A mudbath in reality so actual pace was gone out the window and effort was the only way to measure this workout and that was a challenge in itself.

I found it really difficult to measure effort in the conditions as one minute, it felt like I was cruising and the next, I felt under huge pressure because the mud was worse and worse everytime we went around. Numb the whole way through and a test of will if nothing else.

1. 13:51
    2. 14:01
    3. 6:55

Still, all things be told, I'm really happy with how it went. I'm obviously lacking some strength now from the lack of miles lately so I was surprised to be where I was in this workout which was hugely strength based.:)

Wed 29th April- 8m Steady(7:23)

Cut the back of my heel last night from the spikes and didn't realise it til this morning. Laces kept opening in the wet and so my foot was doing a bit of shuffling about. Stuck some moleskin tape on it which seems to have done the job.

First steady session in ages and it felt good to be back. Done the 2 mile route around my house which is grand and handy for this, nice and flat and the wind was behaving itself so it was an enjoyable run. The body feels good except maybe lacking strength in the quad. Time to get my ass back in the gym:eek: and on the hills again....I think. As to be expected, I'm feeling on the fresh side right now but lacking on the fitness so hopefully I can start to balance that aspect again over the coming weeks and months, in other words, get the finger out.

The week so far has been good a step a nice towards back towards my usual training but today is as far as it goes in that direction for this week. A few easy runs and maybe a light sharpener is the plan before Sunday. Not going to lose the plot yet!

Thu 30th April- 5m Easy

Had an essay typed up but the bloody thing timed out when I went to post it:mad: so I'm not taking any chances this time. A little stiff today after yesterdays and Tuesdays runs so I decided to drop any idea of a sharpener and just took it easy. The body felt grand, not feeling any niggles or such, as long as I can keep saying that, I'll be pretty happy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Done the 2 mile route around my house

Big feckin' house!

• Advertisement

Friday 1st May- 6m Easy

Last run before Sunday and an early one at that, nice trip to keep the legs ticking over and clear my head. There's some pop hanging around around in my legs somewhere, the stride felt nice and zingy when I threw in a few accels here and there, hope they stay like that. felt good!:)

Looking forward to the race and going on the lash now so hopefully I can get the day off on the right foot and show two left feet by the end of the night. Up the walls for the next two days so all the best to everyone running in Limerick or anywhere else this Weekend. Give her socks!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck E, hope all goes well for you & those beers taste satifying come race end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck NE, hope the weather plays ball and you have a good run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck tomorrow NE.
    I've been really struggling to keep up with all the logs lately, but luckily I got around to this just in time :).
    Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck - give it socks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Have a good on NE, hope it goes well for ya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1 All the best, NE!

1.38:xx today. Under pressure from the start and suffered badly in the end. Report to come, going on the beer first!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Enjoy the few beers...looking forward to the report.

• Advertisement

Great Limerick run Half Marathon- 1.38:26

Pre-race

Arrived in Limerick at 9:50 which was under 2 hours before the start to try and catch a glimpse and offer some support to some fellow clubmates and boardies running the marathon. Parked up on south circular road and headed straight up to the halfway point at the station and met up with a few of the lads just a few minutes before the leaders whizzed by. Spotted ThePiedPiper pacing the 3 hour group and Bulmers74 looking strong and well on target passing by. Hit the road down to bagage drop with an hour to go the off and changed. Straight into my warm up on O Connell street then and made my way up to the start with 10 minutes to the gun. The nerves had really built up to a crescendo and all I wanted to do was go.

Race

Off we go and the first thought to pass my mind was to hold back and leave everyone off. Just stay in front of the pace group was the plan and if I felt good around halfway, pick it up. I was running watch less so I've no idea of my milesplits but frankly, I think my perception of holding back for the first few miles was misguided. I was running with the lead female and when I asked her what the pace was like at just over 2 miles, She replied that we were starting to settle in to 6:35 pace for the third mile after a fast start:eek:

I pulled back a little after that as I knew I was in trouble if I kept going. The pace group was about 30-40 yards behind at that stage and I decided to just ease back to right in front of it gradually over the next few miles. That didn't happen and they closed the gap in about a mile and I was spat out the back a half mile later. I had a fair idea at this stage that they had went out fast so I didn't panic as I knew they would slow down at some stage. By mile 5, they opened up a gap of about 50 metres pretty quickly but seemed to be slowing down on the downhill from Raheen to the crescent. I met a guy here and we decided to work together and reel them which we did just before the hill at the shopping centre but I had hit boiling point by then, my head felt like it was going to explodes the heat and humidity was at it's worst. I had to stop and get an ice pack from a medic which really helped but the pavers were well and truly out of sight by the time I got back moving again, I'd lost the bones of two or three minutes by stopping.

When I did get going, I was moving very well and flying past other runners back down through the city centre at about 7 miles. The athomsphere going through town was electric and I passed the ever enthusiastic Bulmers giving me some encouragement. Couldn't summon up the energy to ask him how he got on as I was on the limiter. I kept this effort going all the way to the Gaelic grounds at 9 and a half miles where I was passing half marathon runners easily and was told we were on 1.32 pace but it was at this point, A rash decision made in panic after I stopped earlier would come back to bite me. I had being going well for the last few miles, too good and I hit a wall of lactic like never before as the route turned back in the direction of the city centre. That horrible squishy and massively strained feeling in my calves which brought me to a halt almost instantly. Over the next 3k, I stopped twice for walk breaks and was having a tough time of it mentally, I was pi**ed off to say the least and thought of BON's comment last week and how unprepared I was heading into this race, I shouldn't have been there.

With 2k left, a group of lads from another Limerick club passed me and tried to pull me along and that they were on for a 1:35 finish which surprised me, I was expecting the 1:40 group to whizz by at any minute. Their encouragement was to no avail as I couldn't pull it together and I think my last mile was probably close to 9 minutes if not over. Finished in 1:38.26 and not in the best of form.

Thoughts

The lads have told me to forget about this one but I dont agree, I think this is one to remember for the future. This wasn't all a negative experience for me, the performance was negative but the experience was positive and should help to both humble and give me a kick up the you know what. As BON said last week and I didn't listen, I was underprepared and overconfident heading into this. At some point, I have to realise that I am not at my best currently and a 1:29 half might be an easy enough effort when I am but it most certainly isn't now. If I want to be at my best, I'm going to have to train for it and this was the kicking I deserved for taking it forgranted.

Advertisement