Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Haha! I'd take walking at this stage P. Rob Heffernan has better PB's than me at every distance above 5k and a sub-3 under his belt.

You're comparing yourself to a world champion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

davedanon wrote: »
    You're comparing yourself to a world champion?

Yep! Someday Dave, I did hold a running world record for a while you know:p

Tuesday 12th May- 8m Easy

Had a club session scheduled for tonight but it was 400's in prep for County track Thursday evening but I decided to give it a miss because I'm not doing it and I need the miles right now. Unusually went for an evening run today but the evening's are starting to brighten up so I going to make this a habit for the summer again. The body and legs felt good which is encouraging so I'll play it by ear while I'm waiting to get a plan off coach. Might add in a tempo on Thursday, it's been an age since I done one.

Happy enough:)

Wednesday 13th May- Rest

Thursday 14th May- 66min inc. 20 minutes uptempo

Up bright and early for this and got absolutely soaked. I haven't done a tempo in a while so this was a welcome return on the play it by era training plan. Looking to keep the effort in the 10k-10m range and I think I got it down pretty decently today as I wasn't completely wrecked for the 20 minutes of easy running after but I knew I had a good session in the legs. Weight is on the way back up this week so hopefully I can pack on enough meat to be back to normal in a week or two.

Thumbs up!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What's your secret for weight gain, NE? I'm one of those people who struggle to gain weight and I could do with another 7-10 lbs. Only time I ever managed to pile on a few was immediately after quitting the smokes but it soon went away again especially as the running mileage ramped up! I guess I need to eat more but nothing seems to work.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    What's your secret for weight gain, NE? I'm one of those people who struggle to gain weight and I could do with another 7-10 lbs. Only time I ever managed to pile on a few was immediately after quitting the smokes but it soon went away again especially as the running mileage ramped up! I guess I need to eat more but nothing seems to work.

Beer and more beer I just try and get into that carboloading frame of mind Murph. Scrap any junkfood I'm eating and go for a more nutritious meal per portion size. Something simple like having a granola breakfast with fruit and whole fat milk instead of my normal breakfast, a lot more nutrition per pound. I try and eat a lot more carbs in the form of pasta, rice, oats and whole foods etc. I also have some more lean protein and eat a lot of red meat and nuts like almonds to snack on during the day.

The big one is eating more of course, I'll have a late evening meal. I find it tough to get the food in at first but after a week or two, I find I actually start to get hungry at those meal times. Also a big fan of shakes when I need to gain.

I don't know if that's the best way to do it but it seems to work for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yeah, love that crab pasta...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I've had a great read catching up on your log NE. It's been a few years since i have been active in the logs. I probably missed it, but what club are you running with?

I've had a great read catching up on your log NE. It's been a few years since i have been active in the logs. I probably missed it, but what club are you running with?

I'm glad someone enjoyed it, even for a runner, I'm not masochistic enough to have read it back from the start yet. I've been stumbling through it like calamity James with one problem on top of the next. This year hasn't being great but hopefully things will pickup.

Running with WLAC for about 2 years now. I see you used to dip your toes in the sessions with JC before he defected. You with any club now?

Edit: meant masochistic and not sadistic.

I'm glad someone enjoyed it, even for a runner, I'm not sadistic enough to have read it back from the start yet. I've been stumbling through it like calamity James with one problem on top of the next. This year hasn't being great but hopefully things will pickup.

Running with WLAC for about 2 years now. I see you used to dip your toes in the sessions with JC before he defected. You with any club now?

Well, I read back over some older posts in my first log a few days ago and, I cringed.

I moved to Cork a little over 2 years ago so that was the last of Tuesday track for me. There are track sessions by the Mardyke with Leevale here in Cork or by CIT here which I am going to go along to. More so the Mardyke sessions as I think it may help tame and focus me that bit more. I am taking a break from Teaching during June - September so will give me the ample time to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Why would you want to gain weight?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Why would you want to gain weight?

I feel I'm a little under - within the healthy range but I can afford to put on 10 lbs and still be good. Feel healthier and more robust with a bit of ballast. :)

Friday 15th May- 6m Easy (8:15)

A little on the tired side starting this off today. Kept it close to home and done the ring road around town twice. I don't know if it was just me but it felt a little clammy out there. Anyway, done and dusted but I could feel the lack of running in the legs as of late. Bodyclock back in check, up at 5 the last few mornings.

Alright

Well, I read back over some older posts in my first log a few days ago and, I cringed.

I moved to Cork a little over 2 years ago so that was the last of Tuesday track for me. There are track sessions by the Mardyke with Leevale here in Cork or by CIT here which I am going to go along to. More so the Mardyke sessions as I think it may help tame and focus me that bit more. I am taking a break from Teaching during June - September so will give me the ample time to do this.

Ah brilliant! I know a few lads who have jumped in with leevale and made huge improvements. Donnie Walsh has the Midas touch. You'll be in good hands anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I feel I'm a little under - within the healthy range but I can afford to put on 10 lbs and still be good. Feel healthier and more robust with a bit of ballast.

Each to their own but it will not do anything for your running.

I can not guarantee the accuracy but see http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/diet/weighteffect

and an example:

348848.JPG

dna_leri wrote: »
    Each to their own but it will not do anything for your running.

I can not guarantee the accuracy but see http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/diet/weighteffect

and an example:

348848.JPG

Overall, I'd agree to an extent with this but their is a cut off/ fine line point for individuals between a weight that's good for racing and a weight where it might be ever so slightly below something that's perhaps optimum for your performance. then there's the issue of racing weight and perhaps a weight that's slightly higher when you are training year round.

For me, I am currently 69kg and I know that down to 67kg, I am good to go and I see as 'optimum' for me. If I begin to hit the 65/66 Kg mark, I just can;t function as well.

No argument that a lighter weight goes in aiding your time (in conjunction with some other things), IMHO, I do think there is a cut off point for most people though.

I was thinking of overall health and wellbeing rather than racing weight, but I take these points and it is a running forum after all. Besides, I'm a marathon runner. Don't I need to be carrying a bit of fat for fuel? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

even the super skinny guys are carrying 8/9% of their weight as fat, I don't think the rest of us need to worry about running out :)

I would be less concerned with putting on weight - which is easy, eat more cake! - and more concerned with getting enough of the right food to support your running. If metamorphosis (for example) finds he is doing worse at 65/66kg, it might be because of what he is eating, and what that 65/66kg is made up of, rather than the simple weight figure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I was thinking of overall health and wellbeing rather than racing weight, but I take these points and it is a running forum after all. Besides, I'm a marathon runner. Don't I need to be carrying a bit of fat for fuel? :)

Fraud not D, put down that cream cake ;) Coachy says your weight doesn't really come into play until racing 10 miles plus when leaner = meaner....
    That's not to say that it doesn't factor in below that, obviously.

OK enough about my body fat, or lack of it - let's get back to NE's log. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

OK enough about my body fat, or lack of it - let's get back to NE's log. :)

yeah, stop showing off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

annapr wrote: »
    yeah, stop showing off :D

Abso-frickin-lutely! :D

But, but, but... NE started it. :pac:

Saturday 16th May- 4m shakeout

Handy out. Usually the day for a long run but I put it off today in favour of a big MP session tomorrow that should be a good endurance effort. Decided against a rest day today because it was a cracking morning out and as good a reason as any to get out the door. Tipped away at a pace to shake out and freshen the legs. 5 accels to mile pace to finish off.

Legs feel good!:)

Sunday 17th May- 13m inc.10m@ MPE(7:17)

Was going to do this as part of the Kingdom Come 10 miler but I wasn't fancying a drive to CastleIsland and missing the diamond league so I tip-toed out the door at 6 this morning. Wore the Garmin to give me something to reflect on when I got home but I didn't glance at it once today, as much as I was dying to take a peek.

The effort felt good and the body held up well despite the early protest of not being fully awake yet. I was a little disappointed to see the splits when I finished but not shocked. They're a long way off from where they used to be but I have to start somewhere and the effort felt right.

Really happy with how the workout went though and I feel I'm starting to pull myself back on track but it's early stages, just can't slack off though.

All good!:)

Monday 18th May- 7m Easy

Sh*te!:pac: The body was definitely on the tired side today and I decided to take on the ramhorn line which is a fairly steep stretch of road where the knees are nearly touching my chin on some parts. I definitely got the pacing wrong on the way up as what felt grand halfway turned into strained calves by the time I reached the top. I'd definitely overcooked it so decided to take a break at the top and let the heart rate settle before making tracks for home.

Not for the first time, I was beaten by a hill and really need to start doing more hill running. Lesson learnt, The first half should be below easy effort on a hill with a gradient like that.

Tuesday 19th May- 6m inc. 8x2mins w/1min Recovery

Headed back to the club session for the first time in weeks and by was it a baptism of fire. Absolutely no idea what pace we were supposed to be doing these at so I slotted myself in with the usual group and went with that. Fair soggy and muddy so the pace was fairly slow but the effort was high and especially coming back up against the wind on the second half of each lap.

There's a lot more in there, the legs are still giving in before the lungs in general and I'm just a bit stale and can't run into the pain yet but a few more weeks training should sort that out fairly lively....I hope anyway.

Quietly chuffed with how the workout went and I was consistent across all the reps so there's not much I can fault.:)

Wednesday 20th May- 7m Easy (Meno Pace)

I've finally made the commitment to reining in the pace even further on Meno's advice. This evening, I pulled it back to around the 8:20 mark which felt good. I've tried the fast end of easy and it obviously didn't work so I might as well see what happens with the slower approach. I've seen work miracles for some so I'm offering up my prayers to the running God's that it will for me. :)

I felt really good today and it was a cracking evening. I really need to get that plan together with my coach as it's all a bit "hmmmm, what will I do today" kind of approach to training at the minute and I need to strike while the irons hot in terms of motivation and get organised.

All in all, happy!:)

Thursday 21st May-

AM: 3m Recovery (9:27)

PM: 5m Easy

Tough out there this evening. I was a little on the tired side to begin with but I found the humidity a really big energy so the sweat was dropping off me, I'll take wind any day. The main thing is I got the runs in today even if they weren't as pleasant as I would've liked.

Probably going to race tomorrow evening and get a good marker for where I am and get a reference for training. Off for an ice bath now so hopefully that will freshen up the legs.

Alright:)

• Advertisement

Friday 22nd May- 5m Easy (8:17)

The plan was to do the Kilmallock 5 mile race last night but I got a call to work a tough shift in Thomond park for the match today so I needed to be fresh and didn't do the race. Went for a 5 mile easy run instead. The body felt good and I cruised through this on autopilot.

I'd planned to do my long run Saturday but it doesn't look like I'll get one done this weekend. Got a call yesterday evening saying I didn't have to work after all:rolleyes: so I ended up on the highstool. Same again Saturday night for one of the lads 30th Birthday so the long run will have to be shoved to Monday if I've recovered by then.

I'll have to get it in somewhere during the week as I'm already lacking in the long miles and can't afford to be missing more again.

The week was good in an overall sense though. I got some decent running in which is definitely a step in the right direction.:)

Advertisement