Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thu 26th Nov- 5k (19:48)

I'm actually quite happy with this even though it's nowhere near my pre-race targets. I knew my performance could go anyway but I got what I wanted out of it, I know where I stand now. I have no excuses, My fitness isn't there at the moment. My legs felt great the whole way through but my chest wasn't playing ball, it was tight for the last 2.5k.

I guess it was to be expected, I haven't done any Vo2 max work since the start of the summer and very little training since 3 weeks before the DCM. The pace today was only slightly quicker than my 10 mile pace in July. I've got some work to do.

Must admit I'm surprised with that time, were you racing or did you smoke 20 Benson on the way round :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Must admit I'm surprised with that time, were you racing or did you smoke 20 Benson on the way round :)

TbL
    Jaysus go easy will ya...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

TbL

Haha! Us tobacco connoisseurs in Limerick are more JP blue men.:p

That wasn't a bad race for me right now. It's given me a kick up the you know what. I'd usually be still showing up drunk to training at this stage after a marathon.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Fair play for getting out and setting a marker, you can build from that now.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Fair play for getting out and setting a marker, you can build from that now.

Cheers pconn! That was the plan. I'm in a lot better shape now than I was this time last year.:)

• Advertisement

Haha! Us tobacco connoisseurs in Limerick are more JP blue men.:p

That wasn't a bad race for me right now. It's given me a kick up the you know what. I'd usually be still showing up drunk to training at this stage after a marathon.:D

Didn't mean to come across like a smart arse/dick. The state of me at the moment I'd be lucky to break 20, but I thought you were in better nick.

TbL

Didn't mean to come across like a smart arse/dick. The state of me at the moment I'd be lucky to break 20, but I thought you were in better nick.

TbL

Ah you're grand TbL!:). No harm in a bit of banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

if u take a long view - sub 20 for 5km in november is a great place 2 b. great stuff

Fri 28th Nov- AM 3m rec (9.08)

Fri 28th Nov- PM 5m easy (7.55)

Mon 1st Dec- AM 9m steady (7.26)

This weekend was a little broken up for me because I had to go to parties on Friday and Saturday night so I got no long run in:(.

My legs felt great on Friday after the race the night before which was surprising. I felt so good that I turned it into a double day. They are only small grasshopper doubles at the minute but I hope to build them up over the next 2 months to find my sweet spot.

Today's run went very well despite the horrible weather and a bit of residual staleness from the weekend. I love these steady paced runs. It's always a little rough at the start but the endorphins really start to flow towards the end. I feel like I am the strongest I've ever been but I'm probably just lacking that cutting edge at the minute.

I'm going to have to squeeze the long run in somewhere this weekend. I always find it difficult to train consistently coming up to Christmas, there's so much going on that I'm expected to go to and help out. Next weekend is no different, I've to go to a birthday party on Saturday and I'm going to be an elf (yep, a 6'2 elf) for a Santey on Sunday.

Tue 2nd Dec- 7m w/6x3min @HMP(2min rec)

There was a real chill in the air for this session tonight. I still haven't got full control of one of my hands while typing this. The aim of the session for me was to just ease myself back into aerobic workouts with low reps and a decent recovery period. Trying to keep my head was probably the hardest part because pretty much everyone else was doing it as a specific workout and bombin past every lap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Tue 2nd Dec- 7m w/6x3min @HMP(2min rec)

There was a real chill in the air for this session tonight. I still haven't got full control of one of my hands while typing this. The aim of the session for me was to just ease myself back into aerobic workouts with low reps and a decent recovery period. Trying to keep my head was probably the hardest part because pretty much everyone else was doing it as a specific workout and bombin past every lap.

dats a great session. as u said it was as much a mental test as a physical. and it was a cold evening. Great stuff.

Right....can't catch any zzzz's tonight so there's no time like the present to make a semi-coherent plan for the next few weeks, if I can even manage that right now. I said I'd put this one out there for anyone interested in the Summer of Malmo to see and critique my interpretation of the his quirky ways. It's not the idyllic plan that I had dreamt up last month but the time frame to my goal race isn't big enough to incorporate everything that I would like.

For anyone interested, Malmo also likes to work some fartlek sessions into his schedules. Workouts like 5 minute hard/ 5 minute easy, 15-20 1minute on/off and some pyramid sessions(e.g 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 with equal slow rec). I may swap in a session or two of these if the feeling takes me there. He also has his staple "run to the barn" session where an easy run progresses for the last 1-2miles, This is not a scheduled run but more of a feeling good, pick it up kind of effort done every so often.

My Tuesday repeats will vary depending on the distance of the repeat. 400m+ repeats will all be done at just faster than my tempo pace and will have an untimed full recovery. Everything below 400m will be neuromuscular training(speed+mechanics based)e.g 150m repeats will be 50m accel, 50m sprint, 50m stride out and will also have a full untimed recovery. None of these repeats should feel really difficult.

Week|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday |Saturday|Sunday|MPW|
    1|9m steady|7m inc. 6x800|AM 3m rec. PM 5m ez|7m inc. 3m tempo|Rest|10m ez|Rest|41|
    2|AM 3m ez. PM 6m ez|6m inc. 16x150m|8m ez|7m inc. 3m tempo|AM 3m rec. PM 5m ez|10m steady|Rest|49|
    3|AM 4m ez. PM 6m ez|7m inc. 12x400|8m ez|7m inc. 17x1min on/off|AM 4m rec. PM 5m ez|12m ez|Rest|54|
    4|AM 3m ez. PM 5m|7m inc. 8x600|5m ez|7m inc. Pyramid session|AM 3m rec. PM 5m ez|12m steady|Rest|46|
    5|4m ez. PM 7m ez|7m inc. 12x300|10m ez|8m inc. 4m tempo|AM 4m rec. PM 7m ez|14m|Rest|61|
    6|AM 5m ez. PM 8m ez|8m inc. 5x1000|10m ez|60min inc. 5min on/off|AM 4m rec. PM 7m ez|14m steady|Rest|64|
    7|AM 5m ez. PM 8m ez|8m inc. 4x1200|10m ez|9m inc. 4m tempo|AM 4m rec. PM 8m ez|14m ez|Rest|66|

All comments and thoughts are welcome and would be highly appreciated:)

Edit: a few changes. Tempo runs every week might have been a bit excessive. Put in a couple of fartleks to break it up.

Wed 3rd Dec-AM 3m rec @ 9.06 pace

The legs and the head weren't playin ball this morning! I got a little too comfortable on the couch after yesterday's session and rested my eye's. Ended up awake for the whole night and felt pretty frazzled when the time came to don the luminous vest and running shoes. It was a struggle out there but I got exactly what I wanted from this run and it set me up for the day.:)

Wed 3rd Dec- PM 5m easy @ 7.52

This is where the doubles are paying off. The earlier recovery session got the blood flowing back into my legs and more importantly my head (could still do with more there:D) and I felt fresh and ready to stride out. This run was a pleasure from start to finish:). Damn, it's cold out there. Time to get the winter beard going!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You can t get a beard if you are going to be an elf, too confusing for children who will already be puzzled by the giant elf!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    You can t get a beard if you are going to be an elf, too confusing for children who will already be puzzled by the giant elf!

I'm looking for a promotion! Santa has it easy. Get the gut up to par and I'll be sorted.:)

Thur 4th Dec- 7m inc. 3m tempo @ 6.45

A little wary about pacing on this run because of my slightly unknown fitness level of late. I kept the garmin out of sight until the tempo section was over and relied on effort. Happy enough with the pace right now.

Sat 6th Dec- 10m @ 7.56

All good.:)

Got good news this week! County roads was announced as taking place later than usual and will be on the 15th of February, gives me plenty of time to round into shape. The Adare 10k is on the following week so I'm going to have two goal races in a week.

Mon 8th December:

AM- 3m Easy @ 8.04

Dirty Morning out there this morning!:eek: The glutes and tfl on my right side were acting up again. My PT says it's my bodies alarm bell going off so I pulled back on the pace a little and focused on the feeling of engaging the glute medius. Worked like a charm:)

PM- 6m run to the barn progression

Felt great this evening so I went with a sneaky progression. Started out a smidge below my usual easy run effort and notched it up mile by mile to about halfway between half marathon pace and marathon pace effort.

Splits:

1. 8:05
    2. 7:44
    3. 7:28
    4. 7.05
    5. 6:54
    6. 6:50

I'm putting the party hat on sabbatical for a while, I don't want to look back on this log after my goal races and see that I copped out early on because the high-stool was calling. At least, If I keep my discipline, I'll have a much better idea of what worked for me and what didn't going into the next cycle.

Loving the doubles at the minute:) The only downside so far is having to shower multiple times a day and having to get more friendly with the washing machine, only small things but Irish Water are going to have a field day with me soon!:)

Tue 9th December:

8m inc. 16x150m(50m accel, 50m sprint, 50m stride) with 250m jog recovery

Good day for kite surfing, not so much for running;) I borrowed a farmers passage for this one. It was well-covered and flat so it was an ideal place to seek refuge from the wind:)

This session definitely had a little bite in the tail end. The legs were fine but my lungs were searing a little. The sensation going from top end speed straight into a stride was a bit funny at first so I had to keep the focus on my form and control.

All in all, good session and it felt great hitting that speed for the first time in a while.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Good day for kite surfing, not so much for running;) I borrowed a farmers passage for this one. It was well-covered and flat so it was an ideal place to seek refuge from the wind:)

Sounds like a euphemism for something entirely different:eek:

Ososlo wrote: »
    Sounds like a euphemism for something entirely different:eek:

:eek: I can assure you, I didn't give that farmer his limp!:)

• Advertisement

Wed 10th December:

8m Easy @ 8:07 pace

It's days like this that set the tone for the cycle to come, a real test of fortitude. A rather innocuous session but a battle won against mental weakness:) The first 5 miles were torture while running into a driving headwind and freezing rain. I lost all feeling in my body apart from the stabbing sensation of the rain hitting my face and strangely enough, brainfreeze(that's a new one for me). I had my chances to turnaround and bail but I resisted the temptation and pushed through:).

Tfl was a little tight towards the end but not really painful, something to keep an eye on though.

Thur 11th Dec- 7m inc. 3m tempo

A little bit of tiredness was lingering around for this session today. Doing an evening 8 miler yesterday and a morning tempo today this early in the phase probably wasn't the best idea.
    The aim for this tempo was to keep the effort between HMP and MP.

Splits:

1. 8:05
    2. 7:52
    3. 6:46
    4. 6:42
    5. 6:44
    6. 7:48
    7. 7:44

Happy enough with the pace/effort on the tempo section:). Kept the pace range fast enough to keep me honest without overdoing it. For the time being, all I want from this workout is aerobic in nature. The hard tempo's can wait until after Christmas:)

Fri 12th December:

AM: 3m Recovery @ 8:54

The legs felt good for this one. A fair ol chill in the air, a little snow on the ground but more importantly, no wind!!:) There's something perversely satisfying about about the crunch of snow underfoot when running.

PM: 5m Easy @ 7:46

All good:) definitely getting into a rhythm again. Felt strong and comfortable right from the start and had thoughts of unleashing the beast and turning it into a progression, didn't go ahead with that on the fly plan though. Keeping restrained is in my best interest at the minute.

Going to hit 50mpw this week for the first time since September and the first time outside of marathon training and that can be seen in my diet. Making a lot more fridge raids and spending more time in the kitchen than on my @ss on the couch.:D

Sat 13th December:

9m Hilly Trail Run @ ?

Met up with a few of the lads today for this trail run. I don't know what I was thinking but I decided to cycle to the meeting point, it's was only 5 miles away from home but the last 3m, the gradient averages 5% and peaks a few times at 11%, There's no easy way to get up it and the roads were like glass.

The trail is similar with some huge inclines to deal with. Left the watch at home because the lads usually take it handy. I don't know what they were up to today but they were lifting. 3 miles in and I was under pressure and losing contact with the pack. By 6 miles, my calves were bursting with lactic acid (the very thing I'm trying to avoid right now) and been completely dropped by the lads. I pulled the plug at 9 miles.

Rough day! Going to do my long runs on my own from now on.

Sun 14th December:

5kish race in 17:34

Running can be a funny old sport. Went from having a tough time on an easy run yesterday to having one of my best races in months today:) Completely unplanned but one of the lads is coming back from a stress fracture and wanted to get a race in. The course was about .2m short (Not a big deal, it was for a good cause) and technical. Probably good for a sub 19 and didn't feel under any real pressure at any point.

TBH, I'm not sure where this came from. Three weeks ago, I struggled to run 19:48 and felt like I cruised near 6 minute miles today. Definitely encouraging going forward. :)

7 days straight this week with 9 runs and 55 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great going! Nice to get a bit of an unexpected boost like that.
    Congrats!

Nicely done

Smokin run :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

TBH, I'm not sure where this came from.

In my opinion (I'm sure many may disagree), you've answered your own question:
    7 days straight this week with 9 runs and 55 miles.

Well done. Great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Nice one, congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice running - well done!

Advertisement