Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

frickin sweet running! cud i have ur secrets.... please???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Thanks for all the support everyone!:)
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    In my opinion (I'm sure many may disagree), you've answered your own question:

Well done. Great run.

Cheers lad!You could be right yaboya! running that time in my highest ever weekly mileage total and no intense speedwork yet only adds to my surprise though.

frickin sweet running! cud i have ur secrets.... please???

Haha, cheers Dar! It's in here somewhere. Yaboya could be right in that I'm starting to get some consistent good mileage in for the first time in a while.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Feck...and a long run the day before??!! Nice :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Feck...and a long run the day before??!! Nice :)

Cheers DG!:) calling it a long run would be generous, more like a slog jog! The weekend was a tale of two halves, beaming now!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice work in the 5k!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Nicely done, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Super run yesterday, delighted for you.

Mon 15th December:

AM: 4m Recovery @ 8:53

A little stiff around the ankles for this one particularly on plantar-flexion. I'd originally scheduled this run for easy pace but felt there was more benefit to be got from a recovery run. Got a little bit of release and fluidity by the time I was finishing up.

PM: 7m Easy @ 7:47

Feeling much better for this evening run. The effort felt comfortable the whole way through with only a slight feeling of rigor mortis like stiffness in the ankles during the first few miles.

Tue 16th December:

7m inc. 12x400 @ 5k pace with 2 min Rec

This session called for fastish repeats done at close to 5k pace. The pace range for the reps was 90-93s per 400m and using full recoveries in between reps. Pretty handy session because it's not supposed to be difficult during the base phase. The aim was just to keep some speed in the legs without accumulating lactic acid.

The most difficult part of this session was holding myself back and not getting carried away with the pace.

Splits:

1. 88
    2. 93
    3. 89
    4. 93
    5. 91
    6. 91
    7. 90
    8. 92
    9. 88
    10. 91
    11. 92
    12. 92

Happy out!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Only catching up with your 5k now - nice running and nice wee confidence booster :)

• Advertisement

Wed 17th December- 8m Easy @ 8.11

Felt tired and a little sore fairly early during this run so I had to drop the pace fairly substantially over the last 4 miles because the effort felt a little choppy early on. Feel I'm paying the price for my indiscipline and racing at the weekend now.
    The plan calls for my first fartlek of the cycle Thursday but I might have to put that on hold depending on how the warm-up goes even though it's a session I've been looking forward to all week.

Play it by ear at the minute, I probably overextended myself with this 10 day runstreak during a mileage build-up.

Quick post and run, busy out with Christmas madness.

Thurs 18th December- 8m inc. 17x1min fartlek @ 6:00 pace.

Fri 19th December:

AM: 4m recovery
    PM: 5m easy

Sat 20th December- 12m easy

Felt a little better towards the tail end of this week. Still a small bit of tiredness hanging about but I should be good to go tomorrow after my first rest day in 2 weeks.

Mon 22nd Dec- 4m easy (8:09)

Tue 23rd Dec- 28m Bike

There's no other way to describe it, training went to ****e this week! Logging some bike mileage to make me feel like I done something besides going on the lash.

Happy Christmas all and best o luck for the new year and new goals!:)

No excuses, just poor discipline over the last 2 weeks. Regretting it now in hindsight as it's completely messed up my plan and I won't be going into the season as strong as I would've liked.

Fri 2nd January- 8m (7:43)

Signed up to try and beat the relay marathon world record in UL next week for the cliona foundation. The current record is 2.10:xx. It's a 105x400m relay around the track in UL and a lap average of 74s is needed to break it. Really puts Dennis Kimetto's marathon World record in perspective, he averaged 69.9s per 400m for his 2.02:57:eek:

A few good runners such as Gary O Hanlon and Sergiu Ciobanu are taking part in the event. Should be a bit of craic and all proceeds go to a good cause:).

Just to add, I got a place in the elite:D section of 105.

Sat 3rd Jan- 13m steady (7:26)

Back into the swing of things with a cracking rustbuster. Came as a bit of a shock to the system to be getting up at 6 in the morning again. Once I got out and had 3-4 miles under my belt, I settled into a nice rhythm and felt relaxed all the way home. Good day:)

Starting race specific training Monday.

Edit: scrapped workout ideas for the next few weeks. Needs more thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Made me tired looking at it.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sat 3rd Jan- 13m steady (7:26)

Back into the swing of things with a cracking rustbuster. Came as a bit of a shock to the system to be getting up at 6 in the morning again. Once I got out and had 3-4 miles under my belt, I settled into a nice rhythm and felt relaxed all the way home. Good day:)

Starting race specific training Monday.

Edit: scrapped workout ideas for the next few weeks. Needs more thought.

That's some rustbuster! Super run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Made me tired looking at it.... :D

Me too, think I remember a very scary session for the 3rd week!

Me too, think I remember a very scary session for the 3rd week!

haha! Yep, I think getting into the "elite" section of the marathon relay went to my head:D.

Feet are firmly back on the ground now. Mo Farah would've been proud of that session.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

haha! Yep, I think getting into the "elite" section of the marathon relay went to my head:D.

Feet are firmly back on the ground now. Mo Farah would've been proud of that session.:)

Ah but you're on an upwards trajectory, give it a few years and you might catch him.

I'll be walking round to Holyrood Park next weekend to check out his field skills in the cross-country. More importantly to support Fionnuala Britton & the Irish runners :). I had a great view last year but I suspect the number of spectators will escalate with people getting a look at Mo!

• Advertisement

Mon 5th Jan- 7m easy (7:47)

Uneventful!:)

Tue 6th Jan- 16x200m @ Mile pace with 60s recovery. 200m reps between 36-39s.

A good workout to blow the cobwebs off for me and add some speed into the mix. Didn't feel too overworked during this but my range of motion definitely diminished a bit over Christmas, legs were trembling when I tried to touch my toes on the warm-up so this workout was a welcome stride out.

Alarm bells are starting to ring now as the racing season is here and to be honest, I don't think I'm in great shape. Time to pony up!

Wed 7th Jan- 7m easy (7:48)

Felt very fresh this morning even though the weather tried it's best to stop me. Tip-toed out the door into a howling wind and cutting rain. Picked out a quite sheltered route so I avoided the worst of it.

Thu 8th Jan-8m inc. 5x1m @ 10k pace w/ 2 min recovery

The first real 10k specific training I've done in god knows how long so 10k pace was more of a guestimate(my ego:D) than anything based in fact.

Splits-

6:27
    6:25
    6:24
    6:25
    6:18

These felt surprisingly good. Something I'm really trying to focus on this year is sticking to race pace for these workouts. I've been known to race these in the past and have done this workout at sub 6 min/mile pace. I definitely felt there was some pop in my legs today, It wasn't a best shape ever feeling but was quietly encouraging. Had to hold myself back on the last 2 reps.

Fri 9th Jan- No run

Not covering this up as a rest day! I had a scheduled run but laziness won.

Sat 10th Jan- 10m progression mountain run (8:10)

On the face of it, this looks like a distinctly average long run but it was far from it. This was done on the same route that I blew up at 6 miles doing over 9min/mile only a month ago. Today was one of those days that comes along ever so often when everything feels effortless. The gradient was huge(could do with a Sherpa at times) and the wind was unreal. But I felt so good, turned this run into a progression and knocked out the last 3 miles at sub-7:30 pace which for me is shifting given the conditions and terrain.:)

Sun 11th Jan- Marathon relay (1.56:xx)

This was tough, felt wrecked and stiff on the warm-up. 400m isn't my forte and with the way I felt before the start, I wasn't expecting much. We needed to average 74 a lap to beat the previous record and I just went out with the altitude of beating my previous senior best of 71(ran 10 minutes after a 5000m race on the track and 13s slower than my junior pb). I came in at 66s, dissapointing but a lot better than I expected on the startline.

All in all, a great day and a brilliant buzz about. We destroyed the previous world record by about 14 minutes and raised a load of money for charity. Completely wrecked tired now, be in bed by 7 by the looks of things!

Tue 13th Jan- 7m inc.12x400m @3k pace w/60s rec. 87s per 400m.

Doms had really set in by Monday so I took it off as a badly needed rest day. Back into action today with some speedwork. Heavy snow put an end to any ambitions of running this workout at the right pace of about 83-85 per rep. I went with effort instead which averaged out around 87s per 400m.

I used standing recovery just to get the lactic to build up as high as possible for this one to mix in it up with speed and strength. Tough but it was supposed to be.

Wed 14th Jan- 6m easy (8:13)

Heavy snow on the ground again this morning. Felt good for the first 3-4 miles but I started to feel very laboured towards the end, gasping for air and my heart rate was skyrocketing. I knew something was up, I've had these symptoms before on another rather innocuous run just before I suffered an exercise induced tachycardia.

When I stopped, it all started to happen. Extremely heavy sweating, heart palpitations, searing pain down my neck, light-headed, weakness, confusion and panic. I had to sitdown on the side of the road to keep myself from passing out. The doctor told me the last time that if it ever happened again, to dunk my head into ice cold water. Luckily, there's plenty of that on the Irish roads. Not the nicest of things but I splashed my face with the puddle of melted snow and I was back to normal within a minute. Ok now but I still have a slightly elevated heart rate. Scary few minutes though.

Smoking has to go now. The doctor said the last time that the stimulants in tobacco make the heart to go into arrhythmia when put under pressure, like all those stories of tour de France riders on amphetamines and athletes getting into heart difficulty after drinking redbull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Scary stuff you just described there, hope you're ok. Take no risks whatsoever, are you going to get it checked out again to be on the safe side?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Take care of yourself man. I know I'm just a stranger on the internet so feel a bit silly saying this but you really have to knock those smokes on the head, especially if you have a condition like that. Plus, IMO, you will struggle to become a decent runner on the smokes, the lung capacity will be too limited. You obviously have bags of natural talent and would be a shame to waste on the fags. (Lecture over, I promise!:o).

Scary stuff you just described there, hope you're ok. Take no risks whatsoever, are you going to get it checked out again to be on the safe side?

Yeah, I will. Probably have to go for another EKG. The last one came back with no problems so hopefully this will be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

****e, that sounded scary. I used to get some of those symptoms when I was on the fags, but not all of them and not all at once! Look after yourself now.

Advertisement