Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done young lad, you're motoring nicely now.

Far better to be burning the tar on the roads than down your esophagus :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

nice work - great to get sub 40, much much more to come now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Super well done there NE, nice result. I was getting tired thinking about that last big hill :D Best of luck next week too :)

A little bit of me would like to know what you would have posted if you didn't get to run this one :pac::pac: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done NE on the sub 40 - sounds like the toughest thing this weekend for you was to get to a starting line!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Wow, well done! Great report... That hassle at the beginning surely cost you at least 8 seconds!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well done E, fantastic improvement on last weekend. Keep your sh!t together for the next few weeks and you'll be taking chunks off that pb in Adare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Monday 2nd February- 4m Rec(9:08)

About the best I could manage today. A little stiff after yesterday and tired after staying up half the night to watch the Superbowl with a few bottles thrown in(1st drink since new years:eek:). Back in action tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well deserved :)

Tuesday 3rd Feb-8m inc. 6x800 with 2 min rec

Went back to the club session on AstroTurf tonight. To be honest, I always find the going tough on this surface because it sucks all the elastic energy out of the legs and there is a lot of gear changing needed on the sharp bends. Changed up my usual tactics for this session, ran the straights hard and almost floated the bends and it worked out a lot better. In fact, probably the best executed workout I have ever ran.

I was a little immobile in dorsiflexion so I done an extended warm-up of over 3 miles which done the trick.

Reps:

1. 2:59
    2. 2:58
    3. 2:56
    4. 2:53
    5. 2:49
    6. 2:45

Really satisfying and surprising to hit those paces fir the reps and probably the best paced workout I have ever done. At times, I was thinking the recovery was too long because I was almost completely fresh by the time the whistle blew. Very encouraging!:)

Wed 4th Feb-

AM: 3m Rec

Chilly enough out but you know what they say about a full moon....brings the lunatics out. Hit the road at 5:30 for this and I was on the stiffer side so it was definitely a welcome relief to get this run in.

PM: 6m Easy (7:47)

Handy out.

Thur 5th Feb- 2xPitch, 1000/600, 2xPitch, 800/400

A nice race sharpener borrowed from AMK's log. Trying to figure this session out and the math was a workout in itself but I think I got it down.....I think.

Started off with 2 laps of the soccer pitch with going fast on the lengths and taking it handy on the widths.

Reps:

1000m:
    3:52 w/90s rec

600m:2:05 w/90s rec

2xPitch. Fast lengths, easy widths.90s rec

800m:2:54 w/2min rec

400m:78s

Felt good. Nice to mix it up the pace each rep. It wasn't the most difficult of sessions but I feel it gave me a good overall feel for different paces and efforts. Thumbs up!

• Advertisement

Sat 7th Feb- 4m Shakeout

Feel good. My recovery time is definitely starting to get shorter over the last few weeks and there's a nice a spring starting to appear in my stride. Wasn't quite sure how I was going to approach this weekend. Caught in two minds whether to run all 7 days this week or take a rest day yesterday. Went with the rest day, probably the right choice because of the high intensity of my training right now.

The goal for tomorrow is to run a PB. If I could take that down this early in the year, I'd be buzzing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck in the morning NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Alarm set?! Best of luck, go get that PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Alarm set?! Best of luck, go get that PB :)

It's not starting till 2pm, he'll be grand! Hope he has entered already :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good luck tomorrow. ENJOY!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good luck NE, burn it up :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Have a good go at it and enjoy :) Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Have a great one NE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck out there, NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Hope you find those 8 seconds today... No kilometre long hill like last week so I'm sure you will!

• Advertisement

It didn't happen for me today:( 41:40 unofficial. Couldn't breathe in the freezing fog and some highly erratic pacing to boot. Damage report to come!

Sun 8th Feb- 10k (41:40)

The morning started off unsure and followed that trend through the day. I was up at 7 and unsure of how I would eat going for a 2 o clock start. I went with having a good breakfast straight away and another good feed at 10:30 with a snack about 2 hours before the start time.

A little moment of panic when I was getting my gear together when my watch battery had died bringing back memories of panic on the morning of the DCM 13 where I was rushing around Dublin on a bank holiday Monday looking for batteries. I was ok today as I had the garmin for backup.

The Race

Arrived about an hour before the start and met with a few of the lads for a chat and the usual pre-race smack talk. I was still feeling confident at this point but the doubt started to creep in on the warmup. I felt really flat and had to turn leave the lads off because I was struggling more than I should with 9 minute pace. Done a few strides to try and get some sense of power into my legs but it wasn't happening. I didn't think of it as a big deal at the time because it was below freezing and getting warm in temps can be tough.

0-2 miles (6:21, 6:31)

The first 400m was a fairly sharp downhill so everyone took off like a rocket and hammered the first mile. I held back alot with the intention of building the pace up as the first mile went by. After the downhill start, the route turned onto an arrow straight road which goes on for 3.5k. I was already feeling a bit off this early, the legs were spinning but I just couldn't get any force at pushoff and I wasn't striking clean. I was cruising past a lot of people through the first 2 miles but I wasn't feeling confident.

2-4 miles (7:17, 6:54)

After the 2 miles is where I really started to struggle, the ground was flat but I was really struggling for breath and getting chest pains. I could get the air in but it wasn't providing any relief. It felt like I was training at altitude and I found myself running a mile split that I haven't seen outside of a marathon since I started running again. Honestly, I was going to throw in the towel and dropout because I didn't see any benefit in continuing.

The next mile started as the last one finished, people were just streaming past me and I was starting to get thick. I felt a slight resurgence at about 3.5m in and hit the gas pedal at times hitting sub 6 pace and making up 30+ yard gaps on people ahead in seconds which set the tone for the rest of the race. The mile splits from here on in give absolutely no indication of how I was running from here on in, It was like a fartlek.

4 miles-6.27 (6:46, 6:38, 1:13)

The route got lumpy from here on and I was coughing and spluttering with the pace but reeling in huge gaps as everyone else was blowing up. At times over the next 2 miles, I was hitting paces from probably 5:30 to well over 7 minute per mile. The last Km was all downhill and I could spot a guy about 60-70 metres ahead who was going fairly well so I put the hammer down to catch him. I really started to get going with 600m to go and managed to reel him in with 100 to go but completely exploded and he pipped me going over the line. Garmin had me at 4:30 mile pace for the last .27 of a mile. Just a completely bizarre race which I don't know how to make heads nor tails of.

The most concerning part was what happened after. I was sitting down after for the awards and when I tried to get up, I got a piercing pain in my tailbone and stiffness around my pelvis. It was excruciatingly sore when I tried to stand up or bend over and I was struggling to walk. It's still at me today but not quite as bad. Appointment with my sports therapist tomorrow to see what's going on and hopefully, it's not anything serious.

The race itself is one for the bin. I didn't learn anything from it which is the most disappointing part. On to the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

The race itself is one for the bin. I didn't learn anything from it which is the most disappointing part. On to the next one.

Sounds like you had a tough day out there but you are right to just put it behind you and move on - sometimes it just doesn't go for you on the day. There will be far better days ahead given the training you are putting in.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Sounds like you had a tough day out there but you are right to just put it behind you and move on - sometimes it just doesn't go for you on the day. There will be far better days ahead given the training you are putting in.

Yeah, you're right TJ. It was a disappointing day but I know I'm in a good place in the bigger picture and it's just a matter of putting the pieces together over a long period of time.

That's why I named my log like I did. A subtle reminder that I'm going to have good days and bad days in the details of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Yeah, you're right TJ. It was a disappointing day but I know I'm in a good place in the bigger picture and it's just a matter of putting the pieces together over a long period of time.

That's why I named my log like I did. A subtle reminder that I'm going to have good days and bad days in the details of the bigger picture.

Good perspective. Keep the faith!!

Tues 10th Feb- 6m w/6x400

Went to my sports therapist today for a look over on my tailbone and he gave me the all clear to run on with a few new streches thrown in for good measure. He thinks the hip openers I'm doing in yoga caused the nerve pain. He says that I have activated some previously lazy muscles in my backside and that caused an impingement of the nerve.

I felt stiff going into today's run after the rubdown and lack of a recovery run yesterday so I erred on the side of caution with the volume of reps I did. Just went with 6 hard reps with 75s recovery and that was probably enough at a little over mile pace. No paces for reps as it was just a case of going out and running a hard effort. Still feel I'm lacking some quad power right now so I think adding some hill sprints into my schedule will help with that. It something that will improve massively anyway as I start to get back out on the bike more regularly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Get out on a bike?

jaysus, this place is getting infested, I blame that new mod...

RayCun wrote: »
    Get out on a bike?

jaysus, this place is getting infested, I blame that new mod...

Don't hate on us because we're a multi-talented bunch Ray;)

Think I'll PM RQ to change the name of my log to "the brakes wear out on the long spin". Then, you can have a read of my epic turbo training sessions while giving a blow by blow report on Fair City.

Wed 11th Feb-

AM:
    4m Easy (7:47)

Felt good. No hangover from last nights Astroturf session So I headed off at 5.20 and done a nice quiet loop around the town. Felt fluent.

PM: 6m Easy (7:52)

The legs felt lively again this evening and my lazy rump issues seem to have disappeared, hopefully for good! Not much else to add, just a nice easy aul trip.

Ordered my new spikes and shoes today so can't wait for them to get here.:D

83084.jpg

Not half flashy but a thing of beauty!

48186_00_d.jpg

Went with the Adidas Arriba 4 spikes instead of the Saucony Endorphins. The Endorphins were probably just on the over-aggressive side for what I wanted so I went with the more versatile Arriba because of the longer Tempo and Interval reps I'm going to be doing on the track.

• Advertisement

Thur 12th Feb- 7m steady (7:26)

Didn't sleep great last night, only got about 3 hours so I was absolutely bollixed this morning and I had this run staring back at me through the curtains. Dragged myself out the door in a daze and set off without any intention of following through with a steady state run.

Started off slow and moody but lifted the pace a little every so often and when I saw 7:34 pace show up about 3 miles in, I said I might as well keep pushing on and finished just over 7 minute pace for the last mile. Happy enough just to get it done but it was a struggle the say the least, spent most of the run saying what the hell am I doing out here.

Supposed to do another run this evening but I think I'll call it a day, kick my shoes off, throw myself down on the couch instead and recover properly for tomorrow. Happy with what I already done today.

Advertisement