Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

+1 to what Ososlo said, welcome back :D Spitting your dummy out is grand here, sure we'll just lick it clean and put it back in the pram for you :D
    Nice tempo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Such a big girls blouse, welcome back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Whew! that's a relief....! glad the injury is sorted and that you're back. All your Boards mammies were worried about you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Welcome back lad - saw your name in the results last night & was glad to see the injury wasn't as bad as first feared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Welcome home. Sure all the cool kids are re-regs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Yay welcome back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

As T J mentioned, you are now one of special group of people who closed their accounts and then came back.... The next time you do it though can you make it a bit more dramatic :D

Welcome back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

A man admitting he was wrong..... Well I never.... I jest, I jest, welcome back, great news re the injury or non injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Netwerk_Errer

Sat 28th Feb- 10.5m Steady Effort(??:??)

The plan called for a 10 mile mountain run this morning at steady effort. No idea on the pace as my Garmin is still in UL and the battery in my other watch is dead but I'd hazard a guess at 8:20-8:30 pace average. Nowhere near my normal steady pace but today was all about the hills and an honest effort. Met up with 4 of the lads at 8 o.clock on the bottom of the hill. Small numbers this morning because of Ballycotton next week, the whole country seems to be doing it even though it's a limited entry.

The first mile and a half is by far the steepest in heading up to the summit and the legs were like lead on the way up even at a gentle pace, one of those climbs that the calves would know about at walking pace. At the top, we split into 2 different groups with 2 of the lads and myself heading off at steady pace while the other group of 2 was running an easy pace.

I stayed with the lads until about 3 miles in and decided to drop off the back a little, just enough to leave them get out of sight and give myself a good mental test for the rest of the run. I struggled a bit early on in this one but as always seems to be the case with steady runs, I started to come alive in the second half and push on. The effort felt good, often found it tricky on hill runs to judge it well so I'm happy with that today.

All in all, nice to get back to some longer and faster combo stuff as I've been lacking some aerobic stimulus of late with all the racing.

Sun 1st Mar- 6m Easy

Had a late one last night, stayed up to watch the whole Carl Frampton fightcard repeat on ITV Ireland because I missed the live coverage. They cut off the coverage 5 minutes before the Frampton fight:D:mad: so I stayed up until 3:30 for nothing. I was a lot later than usual heading out for this run which was probably a good thing judging by the weather.

Everything had calmed down by the time I headed out. Felt good throughout, no residual stiffness from yesterday which I was happy about and the legs were turning over nicely. Took the easier way around my normal 6 mile which was probably a good idea after concentrating on hills yesterday.

Working on my plan for the next few weeks at the minute so I might post it later if I have patience.

• Advertisement

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    AM: 8m Easy|16x200m @ mile pace w/60s Rec|AM: 3m Rec PM: 7m steady|5x1m @ 10k pace w/2min Rec| 8m Easy|13m LR|Rest
    AM:4m Easy PM:6m Easy|12x400m @3k pace w/60s Rec|AM:3m Rec PM:6m Easy|8m w/20min @10k-10m pace|8m Easy|12m w/50min steady|Rest
    9m Easy|8x800m @5k Pace w/90s Rec|AM:4m Easy PM:8m steady|1x3200m, 4x1m @10k pace w/2min Rec|8m Easy|14m LR|Rest
    AM:4m Easy PM:5m Easy|12x600m @5k pace w/90s Rec|AM:3m Rec PM: 5m Easy|8m w/30min @10m-HMP|7m Easy|12m LR|Rest
    10m Easy|12x400m @3k pace w/35s rec|AM:4m Rec PM:8m Steady|3x2m @10k pace w/2min Rec|8m Easy|13m w/60min steady|Rest

Hope this table works!:)

This is the template I'm going to use for the next few weeks, I think! I might have to make slight changes here and there throughout the schedule as I go but as time has passed, I have got a better understanding of my body and the changes get smaller and smaller with every plan. There could also be a race or 2 added in when I get a feel for the smaller details.

Basically the idea is, 2 dedicated workouts a week. One a shorter speed session of 800m and below at different paces ranging from mile to 5k pace. I seem to be a endurance dominant runner where my times don't fall off much from 10k-HM(10m and HM probably being my strongest distances) I feel I get huge benefits from this shorter and sharper training when mixed with the longer repeats on Thursday.

It's the same for my Thursday Workout. I'm going to be rotating hard tempos @ near 10k pace and Longer 10k specific repeats with just a longer 30-40min tempo at 10m-HMP. Really just focusing on my weaknesses over the next while and see how it pans out with results. Nearly all of my PB's were set on this kind of training and I'm not sure why I drifted away from it in the last while.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome and would be very much appreciated.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome and would be very much appreciated.:)

Phew! Going to go and have a lie-down ...

Phew! Going to go and have a lie-down ...

Time to get the finger out Hillside! The ashes of an old rivalry are starting to reignite. A fella I used to run with 2 years ago showed up out of the blue again in the last 2 weeks. Running 37:40 last week and 18:26 in a tornado yesterday. Don't know where it came out of.

He beat me in one race last year and was going around saying he was the undefeated champ in 2014. I can't be listening to that again this year!

Time to get the finger out Hillside! The ashes of an old rivalry are starting to reignite. A fella I used to run with 2 years ago showed up out of the blue again in the last 2 weeks. Running 37:40 last week and 18:26 in a tornado yesterday. Don't know where it came out of.

He beat me in one race last year and was going around saying he was the undefeated champ in 2014. I can't be listening to that again this year!

Defo training with Salazar with those kind of improvements!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Defo training with Salazar with those kind of improvements!!!

Or else he's training with Hamza Driouch!

Not going to go any further on that. I think I've alienated enough boardsies today.

Yeah seen the rubbish about Driouch alright to, i was once caught in the same photo as Jodie Marsh, didnt mean i was nailing her.

Haha fair play to you NE, I have been following that particular discussion with interest. He's definitely marmite, isn't he?! Have to say, I am very impressed with your arguing skills and the range of info you pull down to argue your case (obsessive much?! ;) ).
    And yeah, you're right...it's hard but until someone has been caught or confesses, you got to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Ah, you'll catch him no bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

tang1 wrote: »
    Yeah seen the rubbish about Driouch alright to, i was once caught in the same photo as Jodie Marsh, didnt mean i was nailing her.

Jesus Tang, have you seen Jodie Marsh lately, she probably got you in a choke hold and nailed you :)

TbL

Mon 2nd March- 8m Easy (??:??)

8 miles easy on the cards for today. It's was like I passed through all four seasons in an hour, blue skies, Sun, calmness, wind, hail, rain and snow at times. Quite enjoyed it all the same, plenty of puddles to splash in.

The legs were a little heavy starting off, my suspicion is that was because I drifted off last night without doing my usual nighttime raid on the fridge and I started the run empty this morning. Legs didn't want to play ball and took some convincing but I settled in nicely eventually. Pretty happy

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Haha fair play to you NE, I have been following that particular discussion with interest. He's definitely marmite, isn't he?! Have to say, I am very impressed with your arguing skills and the range of info you pull down to argue your case (obsessive much?! ;) ).
    And yeah, you're right...it's hard but until someone has been caught or confesses, you got to give them the benefit of the doubt.

That he most definitely is!

Obsessive!? Not at all;):D

Tue 3rd March- 6m inc. 16x200m @ mile pace w/100m rec

Going to avoid the club sessions on AstroTurf like the plague for the next month until we get back to running on grass. Headed back to the track in Castleisland with one of the lads for this workout instead. We were both doing completely different sessions so I was running the workout by myself.

I altered this one a bit from the plan as it was on the track, had it down as 60 second recovery but the 100m was easier on the head(no mid-workout math). This was the second time this year that I done this one and the difference was like night and day. The rep range the last time ended up as 36s-39s, tonight I ran all of them between 34-36 seconds and got faster towards the end.

Usually, I'd say that was too fast but the effort felt perfect and my form was on point. Even had a coach at the track comment on the session. I really felt good throughout and this workout really reinforces my belief that I could run under 5 for the mile with a little work this year if I want. The endorphins are flowing and I got that tingley achy muscle feeling I love from a good workout.

Top notch, Up there with some of the best executed workouts I've ever done:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice session NE

"and I got that tingley achy muscle feeling I love"

lads like Murph and I get that every day just getting outta bed, it's scientific name is, auld age :)

TbL

Nice session NE

"and I got that tingley achy muscle feeling I love"

lads like Murph and I get that every day just getting outta bed, it's scientific name is, auld age :)

TbL

I'll have to change my body in for an aulder model so TbL judging by the way ye're going. More fags, booze and cheeseburgers should get me there quicker than waiting for the years to pass by.:)

I'll have to change my body in for an aulder model so TbL judging by the way ye're going. More fags, booze and cheeseburgers should get me there quicker than waiting for the years to pass by.:)
    Fess up NE, how's that one going?! Love reading the buzz of a good session btw :)

Fess up NE, how's that one going?! Love reading the buzz of a good session btw :)

Cheeseburgers and booze are going well, fags not so much. I'm about as good at staying off boards as I am staying off them. 3-4 days here and there but I can't get over the hump of a week.

Think I'm just going to doctor and demand champix and see how that goes. Otherwise, I'm going to have plucking away in the hope that one day, I'll stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

As someone who gave up smoking about 7 times before succeeding, you can't just hope to stop; you have to make a conscious and determined decision to do so. All the patches/Chapmix etc in the world won't help unless your head is in the right place.

The third day is always the worst and you can expect to get the heebiejeebies, the shakes and withdrawals (think Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting) so just prepare for that and do what you have to do to get over it.
    After a week things improve drmatically but you have to still stay mentally strong.

Cheeseburgers and booze are going well, fags not so much. I'm about as good at staying off boards as I am staying off them. 3-4 days here and there but I can't get over the hump of a week.

Think I'm just going to doctor and demand champix and see how that goes. Otherwise, I'm going to have plucking away in the hope that one day, I'll stop.
    It's one of the hardest things to do, believe me I know :( It took pregnancy for me...shame that's not an option for you :pac: ) On the way, what worked for me was the feeling of freedom I got, no longer being a slave - and boy was I a slave - each day I was off them, that feeling got stronger. Almost like the slavery disappearing and the freedom growing in opposition to each other.
    You'll get there.

menoscemo wrote: »
    As someone who gave up smoking about 7 times before succeeding, you can't just hope to stop; you have to make a conscious and determined decision to do so. All the patches/Chapmix etc in the world won't help unless your head is in the right place.

The third day is always the worst and you can expect to get the heebiejeebies, the shakes and withdrawals (think Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting) so just prepare for that and do what you have to do to get over it.
    After a week things improve drmatically but you have to still stay mentally strong.

Sage advice, thanks Meno!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

It's one of the hardest things to do, believe me I know :( It took pregnancy for me...shame that's not an option for you :pac: ) On the way, what worked for me was the feeling of freedom I got, no longer being a slave - and boy was I a slave - each day I was off them, that feeling got stronger. Almost like the slavery disappearing and the freedom growing in opposition to each other.
    You'll get there.
    I don't know why, but I read that in the style of
    Morgan Freeman(Shawshank) :D:D

Good session there NE, always good to see an improvement :)

Advertisement