Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of picking up the trumpet?

Options
  • 01-11-2014 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Thought this was the best place to pose this question, seeing as there's bound to be jazz experts here!. I've been a musician for the vast majority of my life ( bear in mind I'm still only 16, but it's been a passion of mine for years). I started out with keyboard and then progressed to guitar which I've been playing for six years now ( classical), and tried out drums for two years!.

My musical taste has always been broad and recently I've been very passionate about Jazz ( My late grandmother was mad into it and used to surround me in it when she was alive).

The one instrument that always stands out for me when I'm listening to jazz is hands down the trumpet and I'm very keen to try out a brass instrument as I've been primarily a string player!.

I know I'd have to factor in cost of lessons and practice time ( in addition to my guitar lessons I'm currently taking), and balancing it with school etc, but it's something that I've been thinking about quite a lot and would appreciate any advice in relation to it?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Pick one instrument and focus on it. And find a good teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Zcott wrote: »
    Pick one instrument and focus on it. And find a good teacher.

+1 for finding a good teacher. As for the other point, IMO it is no harm to learn a second instrument. The great Wilton Felder (..of "Crusaders" fame..) is equally well known for being both a great saxophone and bass player. Bassist Jack Bruce was an accomplished piano player.

One of the most recorded bassists in history, Carol Kaye, started off playing guitar.

OP, I have no experience with the trumpet, so my advice is general. Seek out trumpet lessons ("Gumtree" is a good place to try) and see how you get on. If you are as fond of the trumpet as you say, then over time you may find that you are drawn more towards it than the guitar. Nothing wrong with this. The same music theory applies equally to both guitar and trumpet. ;) You are still young enough to experiment, until you settle on "your" instrument.

Best of luck in your musical journey !!! :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

I've been playing guitar for, gosh, I'd say 25 years with a little bit of keyboard on the side.

I recently bought a trumpet and am learning along with my 6 year old son who is learning the tin whistle.

The trumpet is fairly easy to play though I need a lesson or two to get a good tone. Wind instruments are all about tone.

If you know your basic music theory and have a good feel then I say go for it, buy a trumpet, live wild. :-)

Advertisement