Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to increase mortgage payments ?

Options
  • 01-11-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

How do I go about increasing my current mortgage direct debit payment ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'll have to ask your mortgage lender to do it, each DD is initiated by them so you can't change the amount. Basically with a DD your bank pays out whatever the other guy asks for. This applies whether your current a/c is with the lender or if it's a different institution, it's the people who loaned you the money you have to ask.

If the mortgage is at a variable rate there shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    How do I go about increasing my current mortgage direct debit payment ?

If you wish to overpay regularly, ask your bank to increase your payment. The instruction will need to be in writing. Your bank may have a form for this request.

Alternatively, most banks will allow you to make one-off lumpsum payments. You can usually do this by setting up your mortgage as a payee in your internet banking, and then "paying" the mortgage account from your current account.

Advertisement