Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Y U CHRISTMAS, HUH?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

lazygal wrote: »
    On the feast of the Immaculate Conception, let's resurrect this thread. Or something.

I thought you atheists didn't believe in resurrections? Interesting too that ye pay so much attention to Catholic feast dates. :rolleyes: Why the obsession with those? Why can't you just not believe and shut up about it. Or is it that you atheists want Christmas so you can get presents. Why else would you get presents? Christmas is all about Catholicism and the lord Jebus. Why ARE YOU GUYS EVEN PUTTING UP TREESSSS?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

We put up trees for the same reason that early christians did...oh wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Friends, family, a home-cooked turkey dinner and my weight in Quality Street - what's not to celebrate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

3 year olds are fun. Last year at two years of age she was excited, but left everything alone, preferring to play with her toys. This year everything is a toy and already a super-sentimental glass bauble has been broken. Oh well, that's what kids are for, erasing the past, creating the future.

Anyways, my wife has the crib out. It's one of those handmade wooden ones with the plastic figures that every house in the country seems to have bought in the 80s.
    My daughter has decided these are action figures. The "Baby Jesus Guys". And Baby Jesus has a hole in his back so he doesn't fall out of his cotbed. At mealtimes they get presented on the table to get up to hijinks that include saving the animals from falling off the cliff and going to meet Princess Sofia on her floating palace.

Looking forward to Xmas this year for a looot of reasons, not least cos it feels like we haven't relaxed in about 24 months. Last Xmas was a complete disaster for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Turtwig wrote: »
    Why ARE YOU GUYS EVEN PUTTING UP TREESSSS?:mad:

Because it's forbidden by the bible ;)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    On the feast of Culchie Shopping Day, let's resurrect this thread. Or something.

Fixed that for you. :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

seamus wrote: »
    3 year olds are fun. Last year at two years of age she was excited, but left everything alone, preferring to play with her toys. This year everything is a toy and already a super-sentimental glass bauble has been broken. Oh well, that's what kids are for, erasing the past, creating the future.

We're the opposite here and last year he wanted to play with every single decoration and was always asking for/taking things off the tree but this year he's sticking to toys. Though I did buy a huge load of Christmas toy decorations, like stuffed Christmas characters and a huge Fisher Price Little People Christmas bundle on ebay. So my Christmas village display entirely consists of toddler friendly plastic and my ceramic stuff and the tree is being mostly ignored. Even the Christmas train is mostly just switched on and then admired while left to it's own devices.

There was a Little People nativity set in the ebay bundle so baby Jesus is being entertained by our existing Little People Justice League, has been having fun on the Little People playground.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I never got to post this in 2014, but sure lets finish off a 2 year old argument.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present Doctor Who; The humanist tv show for kids.

(If you've not got the time for all 9 minutes from about 6.30 on is particularly relevant here imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Just saw this on Facebook. Some guy in the US, who runs haunted houses professionally, made a nativity in his front garden and is being fined €500 a day. Officially because the nativity takes up 35% of his garden but he suspects otherwise.

http://distractify.com/news/2015/12/06/beth-oh-come-all-ye-zombies?utm_content=inf_10_53_2&tse_id=INF_9290710b5b1c4523a7622ed1d2838c45&ts_pid=17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

lynski wrote: »
    Last year I decided I was having Christmas in Christmas Eve. So started with a lovely little musical event in the village, then cooked the spread - all the trimmings, crackers the lot. Then kids to bed and did the Santa thing. Next day - no cook Brekkie (smoked salmon and brown bread) and a platter of crackers and cheese and leftover spiced beef for lunch and dinner of leftovers too. Did very little all day just built Lego and watched tv. So doing it again this year but even more so - disposable plates and cups to no dishwasher filling even. A day in pjs and no work. Can't wait.

This is how I grew up celebrating xmas. Did all the cooking xmas eve, Even open the presents, albeit after midnight. Played board games and such, stayed up late and crashed and rested the next. Eating only left overs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

No one's ever explained to me:

A - why protestants celebrate christmas.

and

B - why catholics aren't all - "Protestants why you celebrate xmas huh?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

pH wrote: »

and

Why wouldn't they? It's reportedly Jesus's birthday; ISTR that the Prods are quite keen on him too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

and

That makes no sense . The pee doggs are are even more into the jay dogg than the are see doggs. the are see doggs have saints and mary and that shizznit. but the pee doggs just got the jay dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

kylith wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they? It's reportedly Jesus's birthday; ISTR that the Prods are quite keen on him too.

well obviously if you don't understand the difference between protestants and catholics I can see how it would be confusing.
    kidneyfan wrote:
    something unintelligible
    You and I obviously use the words "that makes no sense" to mean very different things.

For those confused, you need to understand A - The origins of Christmas, and B) the reasons and thinking behind the reformation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

kidneyfan wrote: »
    That makes no sense . The pee doggs are are even more into the jay dogg than the are see doggs. the are see doggs have saints and mary and that shizznit. but the pee doggs just got the jay dog.

Ahem. Pay attention now. The P(rotestant) friends (people/comunity) are even more into the J(esus) friend (person) than the RC friends. The RC friends have saints and Mary and that...er...stuff. But the P(rotestant) people just have the J(esus) person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

For those confused, you need to understand A - The origins of Christmas, and B) the reasons and thinking behind the reformation.
    I think it was A- The baby jebus and B- The prods didn't want to pay extra for signed mass cards, or indulgences.

So as long as they only send the cheap Christmas cards, there should be no problem.

looksee wrote: »
    Ahem. Pay attention now. The P(rotestant) friends (people/comunity) are even more into the J(esus) friend (person) than the RC friends. The RC friends have saints and Mary and that...er...stuff. But the P(rotestant) people just have the J(esus) person.

Scrap the cap!

Anecdote / 1 data point: local CoI school is having a nativity play. I know of at least two stinking mini-atheists taking part. Down with this sort of thing/careful now.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Sid Miller, a politician from Texas announced on facebook that he's "going to slap" anybody who wishes him "Happy Holidays":

https://www.facebook.com/MillerForTexas/photos/a.1430872243801609.1073741828.1427314137490753/1773274972894666/?type=3&theater

Mr Miller is no stranger to controversy as he's previous advocated nuking muslims.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/seasons-beatings-texas-gop-official-threatens-to-slap-next-person-who-wishes-him-happy-holidays/

It would be superflous to say which party Mr Miller belongs to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »
    Sid Miller, a politician from Texas announced on facebook that he's "going to slap" anybody who wishes him "Happy Holidays":

https://www.facebook.com/MillerForTexas/photos/a.1430872243801609.1073741828.1427314137490753/1773274972894666/?type=3&theater

I hope he does, and I hope he gets charged with assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Anecdote / 1 data point: local CoI school is having a nativity play. I know of at least two stinking mini-atheists taking part. Down with this sort of thing/careful now.

Does it have Minions in it? It's not a proper Nativity without Minions.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Absolam wrote: »
    Does it have Minions in it? It's not a proper Nativity without Minions.....

ah yes, I remember the minions that accompanied the wise men on their travels, spent a whole class on that in primary school :pac:

Local primary school did Aladdin this year as their play, no baby Jebus for anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sheer spite. Sure wasn't it them that killed our lord. They have nice trees though. And classy decorations. That's the money though. Not that I mean that in a bad way but you know yourself. Himselfs sisters brothers mate married one. The car - mother of god......land and horses too.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cabaal wrote: »
    ah yes, I remember the minions that accompanied the wise men on their travels, spent a whole class on that in primary school :pac:

Local primary school did Aladdin this year as their play, no baby Jebus for anyone

Muslamic law in action.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nodin wrote: »
    Muslamic law in action.

I know!
    There's only one thing for it, we need to bomb Agrabah off the race of the earth!

Nodin wrote: »
    Muslamic law in action.
    Here's some real muslamic law in action - this time from Brunei - Y U NO CHRISTMAS, HUH?

http://thecoverage.my/news/5-year-jail-time-for-anyone-who-celebrates-christmas-in-brunei/
    Earlier in April, the rest of the world condemned monarch-ruled Brunei after announcing the introduction of the Sharia penal code that would include penalties such as the severing of limbs and death by stoning. The tiny but prosperous state on the island of Borneo that is ruled by Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, has now made international headlines once again after the state announced a ban on Christmas.

The ban was declared on the internationally celebrated Christian holiday because the religious affairs ministry said that publicly marking non-Islamic rituals or festivities could be seen as propagations of religions other than Islam. Roughly 20 per cent of Brunei’s residents comprise of non-Muslims, including sizeable Buddhist and Christian communities.

‘Believers of other religions that live under the rule of an Islamic country – according to Islam – may practice their religion or celebrate their religious festivities among their community, with the condition that the celebrations are not disclosed or displayed publicly to Muslims,‘ ‘Muslims should be careful not to follow celebrations such as these that are not in any way related to Islam… and could unknowingly damage the faith of Muslims.‘ Said the government of Brunei in a statement.

The tough restriction was put in place after children and adults were seen wearing clothes ‘that resemble Santa Claus’ – thereby promoting a religion other than Islam The statement also noted that businesses that publicly displayed Christmas decorations would be asked to take them down – to which the businesses had given their ‘full cooperation’ in the matter.

The penalty for celebrating Christmas in Brunei is punishable with a jail term of up to 5-years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    “Christmas will not be celebrated in Somalia for two reasons; all Somalis are Muslims and there is no Christian community here. The other reason is for security,” Abdifatah Halane, spokesman for Mogadishu mayor, told Reuters.
    The guy seems very sure of himself there, but I suppose under the circumstances, not too many people will stick their head above the parapet to deny their muslamic belief.

Advertisement