Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social clubs, activies or just looking to make friends.

Options
  • 02-11-2014 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

So I want to expand my circle and make new friends.

But this seems harder than I thought.

I tried meetup and nothing really grabs my attention on it.

Anyone know any other ways?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

its pretty difficult id say to meet new people, people aren't as friendly as they used to be... what kinda things do ya like to do then!! Couch surfers is on facebook they always do meet-ups haven't gone meself but it would be a good way to expand, badminton club, there is a gamers one too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

It definitely is harder if your out of college awhile or not connected to a club. basically where people are going anyway. Out of ireland its easy to expand your circle. Not irish = new people and culture,great!...or if irish = ah great we're all Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tzarkahn

What are you into?

If have a shared interested its a lot easier to chat to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Are you sure there was nothing on meetup that took your fancy? I have been to a few meetup groups, some were better than others...some of the organisers are a bit ott, one in particular put me right off which is a shame as it's one of the more popular ones but I found the others great. Cinema, coffee, nights out, theatre etc...like I said, it depends on the group but I personally found it very good.

Volunteering at something you're interested in is another option, there's a thread about it here on the next page.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 noturdrudealer

Well I used to play games and use my computer all day and I am trying to branch out of that. I really have no clue what I like other than that, since it's the only thing I done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mmm your not really selling yourself :) in the nicest way..

Perhaps you would get along with some of the gamers then, have you tried the gaming forum on this I am sure there are some cork lads there who meet up or like the couch surfers thing might be worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Have you tried cork action league? (a.k.a. the boardgamer/RPG guys) They are generally on on Mondays currently in the Rising Sons. They haven't anything planned this week but if you add them on facebook they'll let you know when a board-gaming night is on. Have you any interest in the likes of warhammer (expensive), warmachine or flames of war cos it seems to be a social enough hobby. Or Airsoft events pull a lot of gamers too. (I'm listing out what my OH and his friends do, can be expensive enough starting off (In my student budgetary mind anyways)).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 FeckBum

tinz18 wrote: »
    Have you tried cork action league? (a.k.a. the boardgamer/RPG guys)

Don't join this group if you want to make friends with females.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 noturdrudealer

tinz18 wrote: »
    Airsoft events pull a lot of gamers too. (I'm listing out what my OH and his friends do, can be expensive enough starting off (In my student budgetary mind anyways)).

This actually sounds interesting and something I could probably like. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

macra na feirme are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I tried meetup and nothing really grabs my attention on it.

What things are you into? There are tons of groups on meetup, surely at least one of them must do stuff you like?
    Frog Song wrote: »
    Are you sure there was nothing on meetup that took your fancy? I have been to a few meetup groups, some were better than others...some of the organisers are a bit ott, one in particular put me right off which is a shame as it's one of the more popular ones but I found the others great. Cinema, coffee, nights out, theatre etc...like I said, it depends on the group but I personally found it very good.

I'm curious, which group(s) put you off? I'm in a few of them but can't say I've had any issues although I'm not that active in some groups :D

Advertisement