Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much will it help?

• 02-11-2014 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

I'm starting swimming lessons in the next week or two and I was wondering how much it will benefit me. I'm 37 shortly and I've been afraid of water for about 25 years :o I love looking at it but panic when I'm in it. I taught myself to swim a little about 5 years ago but I still tended to panic, I stopped going after 6 weeks or so, I had just gotten to the level of being able to swim the width of a pool but never figured out the breathing. I know that's going to be my main problem again this time. Even though I can swim a tiny bit, I figure seeing as I'm self taught, I'm probably doing it wrong so I'm starting out as a complete beginner.

I started working out in Feb this year because I had gotten a little heavy, I run a good bit, or at least I did, but I'm constantly getting niggling injuries to my ankle, calves and hamstrings, I also suffer with my sciatic nerve from time to time :mad: I was wondering if swimming is good for strengthening your core, as I've been told by a physio that that's probably my main problem. Does anyone here find it benefits them when they're doing other sports?

I've already been to a physio and I'm going back again shortly about my ankle and sciatic so I'm not looking for medical advice on injuries, just wondering what muscles people find it strengthens and if it will be good for my core.

I already do some local Duathlons and I'd love to progress to Triathlons, the hope is to to learn the basics this year, do more advanced lessons and get lot's of practice in next year, then in 2016 I should hopefully be good enough to tackle the local Triathlons. Is that a reasonable time frame, assuming I get over my fear and progress at a normal/average rate? Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Freddio

Unless you are into Olympic sprinting, swimming isnt really a sport to focus on for purely muscle benefit.

It boosts your lungs and your muscles' ability to endure more work but not so much to build pure strength, but to get this benefit you need to be able to 'tick over' holding a swimming stroke. When you are learning, you may feel you are working out (and in a sense you are) but it is more of a case that you are getting tired quicker because you haven't streamlined the process.

Do some youtube browsing of swimming technique and tips (there is decades worth of viewing out there) and enrol in a class/lesson to get you going.

If your in Dublin, I can PM you the details of a swimming coach who does lessons, who is also one of the best ever Irish Masters swimmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Thanks for that but I'm in Cavan. I'm not trying to build muscle or bulk up, just strengthen what I have.

I must have a good look through YouTube for tips, that's where I learned the correct breathing technique for running.

Advertisement