Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert history project

• 02-11-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am completely lost for ideas! All the topics I wanted to do have already been taken by my other class members.
    I am interested in WWII but that seems to be a common area to focus on. Also interested in Roman Empire and Volcanoes. Things like that. Any suggestion would be great!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do something local.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ADowling

I was in the same boat until just a few weeks ago. You can do something on WW2 but you need to make sure it's narrowly focused, like doing Hitler's involvement is way to broad. You could do something like the Hitler Youth, the youth organisation that was set up for boys between a certain age. Or if you have a family member who was involved in anything major during say, the war of independence/ civil war/ Easter Rising.. ect. I was going to do mine on disease and death in the tenements during the 1920's because my great grandmother was a midwife then, but I didn't have enough sources. You can also do something on your local area like a GAA club? the hardest part of the entire special topic is picking your title, after that if there's enough information, it's not as bad as you think.
    Good Luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ciara3633 wrote: »
    I am completely lost for ideas! All the topics I wanted to do have already been taken by my other class members.
    I am interested in WWII but that seems to be a common area to focus on. Also interested in Roman Empire and Volcanoes. Things like that. Any suggestion would be great!!
    If you're interested in World War II, does that interest extend at all to the First World War?

Especially these couple of years, some kind of small local study either on who was involved in the war from the locality, or perhaps following one or two local soldiers (if there's enough material available) might be an option.

There's a lot of new research being published due to the centenary, and diaries / collection of letters etc. belonging to soldiers, and local groups doing small projects charting local participants and so on, which you could tie into.

Again, bear in mind that the Chief Examiner every single year encourages more students to do locally-based projects.

Advertisement