Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitting problem

Options
  • 02-11-2014 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Lads and ladies to my horror I've noticed my barrell is pitted, it's the last 10mm or so at the exit end, it's a steyr mannlicher pro hunter in .243, it's threaded for a mod and it's at the threading the pitting has occurred, I don't shoot near as often as I'd like so I'm ruling out over use, could the treading/using a mod have affected it or given it's manufacture date -Dec 04 it's to be expected, could I simply have the affected area cut off or would it need the whole barrell replaced? Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Did you leave the mod on while not in use?

I read somewhere that this is not a good idea.

edit:

http://sauerrifles.co.uk/content/20-sound-moderators

I have noticed an ever-increasing number of moderated rifles with severe damage caused by incorrect maintenance/usage of the sound moderator. At worst, 12-month-old rifles that are scrap!

"Let me explain; When you use a centrefire moderator the burnt powder leaves a chemical deposit in the moderator, often Ammonia-based; This toxic deposit can easily chemically erode both the moderator AND the rifle barrel, to the point of irreversible damage, unless the correct care is taken."

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

get it cut back, rethreaded and crowned.job done.keep moderator off it in storage .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Most of the pitting i've seen on rifles, at that position, was caused by storing the rifle with the Mod on.

Never leave the Mod on the gun when not in use. Make sure to properly oil the rifle and mod after each use. As said above once it sets in it's almost impossible to cure and even trying to stop it is hard. Get it cut, recrowned, and threaded.

Use a copper grease on the threads to help protect the threading and mod. It won't, on it's own, stop this happening again only proper maintenance will.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Cass wrote: »
    Most of the pitting i've seen on rifles, at that position, was caused by storing the rifle with the Mod on.

Never leave the Mod on the gun when not in use. Make sure to properly oil the rifle and mod after each use. As said above once it sets in it's almost impossible to cure and even trying to stop it is hard. Get it cut, recrowned, and threaded.

Use a copper grease on the threads to help protect the threading and mod. It won't, on it's own, stop this happening again only proper maintenance will.

When you say after every use, only when it's been fired?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nope. After every use.

Might seem overly cautious, but i've never had this problem. IOW prevention is better than cure. The Mod on the other hand i would clean after each firing.

Like this morning. Was out and never got a shot off. Came home, and thoroughly wiped the rifles, scope housing, etc all down with an oily rag. Screwed off the mod and checked the grease was still good. The humidity/dampness in the air is as bad as it getting rained on, but people never think to check as the rifle has normally dried by the time you get home. This left on the gun has a cumulative effect.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Pep73 wrote: »
    ... I've noticed my barrell is pitted,... I'd like so I'm ruling out over use
    Not trying to be a smart @$$, however, over use does not pit a barrel using modern ammo. Rather, under cleaning.

Clearly, the barrel was left with moisture which oxidized the surface.

At least dry the gun when it goes away. As mentioned, remove the mod. I have gun-wipes which the barrel always sees before it goes away.

Pep73 wrote: »
    given it's manufacture date -Dec 04 it's to be expected,
    ? Not sure if I am missing something. I have firearms not far off a century old that are in mint condition because they were stored, handled, and cared for properly.

If you have some images, put them up. I would doubt the barrel needs to be cut back. If the problem is that far gone, consider re-barreling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Does it impact on accuracy ? If it doesn't I wouldn't bother doing anything but change cleaning and maintenance regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pep73

Thanks for all the help lads, I would always dry off the gun but I failed to remove the mod and that's what done the damage, it was a loss of accuracy that drew my attention so I'll loose an inch of the barrell have it retreaded and recrowned and a new mod and back at it, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 portarlington speakers

Best to remove moderator and clean every time.

Advertisement