Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desailly or McGrath?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

TheCitizen wrote: »
    McGrath's performance v Italy in USA '94 would've eclipsed anything Desailly ever produced as regards an individual contribution for his team in any game.

Desailly had a better more productive career, but McGrath - when both were at their peak and at their very best - was the better footballer.

This opinion is evidenced by "that" performance in Giants Stadium.

McGrath did more than that performance , he was played out of position at Italia '90 , and against the best didn't look out of place - in fact I'd say he was our best player , by some . in fact I can't remember McGrath having a bad game for ireland , despite his personal problems.
    I was such a fanatic Irish fan in those days , now post Saipan , what with over hyped & over paid players my affinity with the Irish team has paled, where I now no longer look forward to International breaks -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I went for McGrath. Desailly was great player, but like most, I'd only have seen him play regularly in his latter years at Chelsea. Seeing five minutes of him on Gazetta Football Italia every weekend as a kid dosent really allow you to judge fairly imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

As much as McGrath was brilliant you only have to look at the list of clubs that both played for to get an appreciation of who the football world thought was better.

McGrath: St Pats/Man United/Aston Villa/Derby/Sheffield United

Desailly: Nates/Marceille/ AC Milan/Chelsea/Al Gharafa/Qatar SC

Desailly played for 3 huge clubs in Marceille, AC Milan, and Chelsea...winning a champions league with 2 of them.
    McGrath played for only one huge club in his time, Manchester United...and they were very much in their 'sleeping giant' phase when he played for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's amazing McGrath is still underrated even after all this time. People don't realise what a phenomenal defender he actually was. The best reader of a game I've ever seen bar none. Listing the clubs they both played for doesn't paint a true picture at all, at his best McGrath could have played for any club in the world, and with much better knees I am sure he would have. I think because he played for Villa at his best, he mightn't have been noticed as much as someone at a better team. He was better than 99% of the defenders who played in the Premiership at the same time.

Advertisement