Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook addiction?

Options
  • 02-11-2014 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I sometimes become addicted to facebook and sometimes i don't even check it for days! i've noticed when i'm bored i become more addicted to it. the addiction is nothing but checking the updates in every 2 or 5 minutes and sometimes i start changing my pro pic and cover photo one by one, it's so annoying even i'm disgusted by it!
    anyway, i've come to know a solution, I've started 'Check facebook once a day' experiment! i'll check it at a certain time of the day or night and never again on the day. i kind of like the idea becaus i like experimenting things!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Either delete it or Get a close friend or family member to change your password and see how you get on for a few weeks. I'll guarantee you won't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

it's not an addiction, more something you do when bored. get some fresh air and exercise.
    no harm in checking once a day. i don't do FB, never have. no interest, but i can understand how if fingers are idle they'd stray that way.

my advice - keep busy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Can you do something different when you feel the urge like talk to a friend on the phone or arrange to go for a walk with someone. Read a book. Do you have any hobbies? My facebook feed contains about 5% interesting or pertinent information the rest is all links, political opinions, trivia and nonsense. It's true that's what most face to face conversations contain but if it's not a comfort and it's just a burden then perhaps arrange to meet people and have an actual genuine interaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jimmyRotator

Absolutely there's an addictive element to it.
    Research has proven that there is dopamine release when you receive a facebook notification, like, tag, etc. Its a "hey look the world is paying attention to me" dopamine release. Internet addiction is becoming recognized as a disorder, though its not likely to leave you lying in the gutter drinking from a brown paper bag.
    Notice how feel in your body when you havent checked in a little while and you get the urge, really pay attention to what that urge feels like in your body, that subtle anxiety, its your brain crying out for another surge in dopamine levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Absolutely there's an addictive element to it.
    Research has proven that there is dopamine release when you receive a facebook notification, like, tag, etc. Its a "hey look the world is paying attention to me" dopamine release. Internet addiction is becoming recognized as a disorder, though its not likely to leave you lying in the gutter drinking from a brown paper bag.
    Notice how feel in your body when you havent checked in a little while and you get the urge, really pay attention to what that urge feels like in your body, that subtle anxiety, its your brain crying out for another surge in dopamine levels.
    Any evidence to support that??

• Advertisement

dar100 wrote: »
    Any evidence to support that??

Sure, this will get you started:

http://journals.lww.com/neuroreport/Abstract/2011/06110/Reduced_striatal_dopamine_D2_receptors_in_people.9.aspx

The Downregulation of the brain's dopamine receptors happens in response to chronic surges in dopamine from the addictive internet behaviours.

Also this research review provides more information on the relationship between internet addiction and the dopamine reward system, and details how internet addiction is up for inclusion in the DSM-V

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3480687/

I was sure I read a research paper recently that looked at fMRI brain scans during social media use, trying to dig it up.

Sure, this will get you started:

http://journals.lww.com/neuroreport/Abstract/2011/06110/Reduced_striatal_dopamine_D2_receptors_in_people.9.aspx

The Downregulation of the brain's dopamine receptors happens in response to chronic surges in dopamine from the addictive internet behaviours.

So there's a correlation. I'm sure the same can be said of any activity which releases dopamine, such as the gym etc.

Dopamine will be released in anyone who feels good from engaging in a activity

dar100 wrote: »
    So there's a correlation. I'm sure the same can be said of any activity which releases dopamine, such as the gym etc.

Dopamine will be released in anyone who feels good from engaging in a activity

Yes, absolutely, but chronic acquisition of these natural rewards can lead to the same pathological addictive state as seen in drug addicts.

Check out this article:

Natural Rewards, Neuroplasticity, and Non-Drug Addictions

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139704/

Yes, absolutely, but chronic acquisition of these natural rewards can lead to the same pathological addictive state as seen in drug addicts.

Check out this article:

Natural Rewards, Neuroplasticity, and Non-Drug Addictions

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139704/

Cheers, I'm on my phone at the minute. But will read it later. If you happen to have any other articles if you wouldn't mind sending them on to me? Particularly anything on evidence based interventions, psychological or medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 utopian911

thanks everyone for your suggestions! :)
    you know, sometimes i do think of deleting Facebook because of it's huge distraction. it would be good for me and i've observed it really affected my creativity! once i was deactivated for about four months and then i realized how wonderful it would be if there were no Facebook disturbance! but, I CAN'T DELETE THE ACCOUNT, why? because I NEED CERTAIN INFORMATION about my class schedules,assignments, class test and finals! i'm not really that much of connected to everyone and even if i'm connected, sometimes i need information like cancellation of classes or tests instantly in which case if i don't check facebook, i might miss that! so this is why i still keep my facebook account active. besides it's not a crime to have some fun with online friends once a day! I think Facebook is not that bad if it's not addictive! :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Closing this as OP has found a solution to their PI

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement