Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a shotgun refinished professionally

Options
  • 02-11-2014 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi.
    I've a lanber shotgun I want to get refinished. There is a couple of nicks on it. Is there anyone who does this professionally?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Cap1 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I've a lanber shotgun I want to get refinished. There is a couple of nicks on it. Is there anyone who does this professionally?

Thanks.

Most gunsmiths will do it but it's a bit expensive for what you get I think.

I looked into getting mine done and it was over €100.

I decided to do it myself, halfway through now and I'm very pleased with how it's turning out.

About €30 in materials and a few hours work at the start, then 20 minute every day for a couple of weeks.

Bw

Have you decided what you're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

Thanks for the reply. The problem I have is I only got the gun recently. It's new but its been banging around a gun shop for a few years. I'm only new to shooting so I wouldn't be comfortable stripping the gun down. That is why I'm thinking of getting it done professionally.

What type of a gun is it?
    If the wood underneath is not up to much then there might not be any point refinishing it.
    Where are you based?

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Thanks for the reply. The problem I have is I only got the gun recently. It's new but its been banging around a gun shop for a few years. I'm only new to shooting so I wouldn't be comfortable stripping the gun down. That is why I'm thinking of getting it done professionally.

What will the gun be used for?

If it's rough shooting I'd hang on a while..............you'll get plenty of nicks& small scratches travelling through briars, cover etc. No point having it renovated to look like new and then end up with scratches again at the end of the season.

If it still bothers you after a season then I'd look into getting it done.

• Advertisement

Bogwoppit wrote:
    What type of a gun is it? If the wood underneath is not up to much then there might not be any point refinishing it. Where are you based?

it's a lanber 2097 o/u.im based in firhouse.

I'm mainly using it for clay pigeon shooting. I'm heading out with a lad to show me the ropes with pheasant shooting over the next few weeks.

it's a lanber 2097 o/u.im based in firhouse.

I'm guessing it has a varnish on it at the moment?

I'm in citywest during the day if you wanted to call out.

Put some pictures up first though so we hcan have an idea of what we're dealing with.

cool thanks. I put some pictures up tomorrow.

Sorry. It does have varnish on it. That's what seems to be flaking.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to upload the photos sorry it's taking so long.

A varnish finish can be stripped off without too much difficulty.

Then raise any dents, clean the chequering and seal the grain.

Your choice of finish depends on the time you're prepared to give.

You can use something like tru oil and you'll get at acceptable finish but you have to be careful.

If you have the time then you can't beat a boiled linseed oil finish for look and especially feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Varmint Shooter

Ask in your local antique shop they'd know someone who can do that sort of work ;)

Bogwoppit wrote:
    Put some pictures up first though so we hcan have an idea of what we're dealing with.

I can't post pictures until I have 50 post if you pm me your email address I can send you a few pictures.
    thanks

Advertisement