Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving on up ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Haha poor James, his head must be in a spin with all the rejection and reconciliation he gets :D
    Don't beat yourself up about the fartlek either, weather conditions are not conducive to steady paces either. Clearlier mentioned a very doable - and potentially enjoyable - fartlek session of lamppost to lamppost surges (or every second, third etc) which might be a good introduction to pacier work. You are definitely making progress though...and am in awe of your iron discipline!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

nop98 wrote: »
    Good work hillside! :)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Haha poor James, his head must be in a spin with all the rejection and reconciliation he gets :D
    Don't beat yourself up about the fartlek either, weather conditions are not conducive to steady paces either. Clearlier mentioned a very doable - and potentially enjoyable - fartlek session of lamppost to lamppost surges (or every second, third etc) which might be a good introduction to pacier work. You are definitely making progress though...and am in awe of your iron discipline!

My iron discipline!!!! :confused:. Hahahahaha! Did you not spot I'd already fallen off my every-2nd-day regime for the challenge? Reason I go on so much about the stretches is because I find it a struggle - not my usual way (never used to even stretch after a run); I'm doing my best but still am not doing them as frequently as the physio(s) suggested.

Anyway I was going to postpone "day-2" till today until I saw your post last night and then I knew I'd have to do it .. unfortunately a bit harder this time because I was paying better attention to technique :(. Also did another set of the bloody calf raises, and some double leg squats. Had a go at the single-leg squats and was wobbling all over the place and grabbing onto the doorpost, so left them for today instead - but am not getting anything much from the 2-legged version so will have to get the hang of these, could actually feel my bottom working even from the 5 half-assed attempts I did ;).

Thanks for the encouraging words both. Am about 30-40secs off my pre-injury pace for all kinds of runs really. But yeah, at least the number of days to re-injury seems to be increasing right now ... and the leg was only slightly stiff on the walk to work this morning which is a good sign.

Mostly-successful bit of running this weekend. Had been given permission to test out a deviation from every-second-day/increase-by-5-mins :)

Friday, 30th Jan: no running
    And nothing else either .... was not a day for James Dunne, but I fell off the stretching wagon today, not a single set :o.

Saturday, 31st Jan: 29:40mins run, 3.12miles @9:24 average pace
    Started the day by cycling out to the parkrun to hand out the finish tokens and maybe scrape up a little bit of running karma. Cold cold day and there were a few stretches of the route which were pretty icy. Still there were over 500 people out there which is not too far off the max attendance for Edinburgh.
    In the afternoon, I went out for a plain old flat 30min run ... deliberately shortened because I was planning to try a LSR the next day.

Sunday, 1st Feb: 8miles in 78:10 mins, 9:46 average pace
    Headed out in daylight, returned in darkness. Cooold but not yet icy, and there was only a tiny bit of wind :). All the splits were within 20secs of the average except for the first mile which included a big uphill climb and came out as 10:40. Little bit more difficult that I expect from the pace ... but great to have done 8miles! It's been a while ... Leg held up ok, bit of stiffness at the ankle in the final couple of miles, but I'll watch it.
    day-3 of James Dunne challenge

weekly total: 23.89 miles!

Jan total: 70.65miles

Looking at that Jan total is very nice. Can't believe it's as "high" as that (relative to the injury). This is run-miles only, have not been counting the elliptical or including today's run or massaging the figures in any way...

Fell off the 3challenge wagon a *second* time by not doing day-3 on Saturday. So at this rate looks like I'm setting up a 90-day window :rolleyes:. Going to try to get 4 or 5 done next week to catch up to an every-2nd-day average....

Rest day tomorrow.

First a confession about last week's report .... this is the way it *should* have ended:
    Sunday, 1st Feb:
    day-3 of James Dunne challenge

Had been planning to do JD3 Sunday night and then meant to get to it after my posting, but ... Still struggling with this side of things :(.

Last week's Sunday run had caused a bit of tightness to the outside of the right leg (not my injury site fortunately). Anyway this was still going-on on Monday and Tuesday so I spent a good bit of time on the foam roller, and postponed the next run to Wednesday. The sports massage therapist last month had already told me that because of my running style I need to be foam rolling my anterior tibs on the outside of the leg, which I'd never done in the past.

Tuesday, 3rd Feb: day-3 of 30-day challenge
    Watched the inspirational video for day-3 a few times before I got to the exercises. Wonder if "Never give up, Never give in" was intended to have a subliminal effect ... definitely quite a few of us on here are immune. Despite the poor quality of the video, can still see that Steve Jones has a lovely pair of legs :).

Wednesday, 4th Feb: 54:12min run with 3miles fartlek, 5.9 miles @9:11 average pace
    This is a similar run to the one I did last Tuesday, but I took Dubgal's suggestion and structured the fartlek as a lampposts session. Went for sets of [5x(1 lamppost fast, 1 lamppost rec)] with 5-lampposts recovery between sets, and decided to be sensible and limit it to 3miles. Even though the mile-times for the fartlek came out slightly slower than last Tuesday, I felt more in control this week. Had the idea I might throw in some 2-lamppost sets at the beginning, but as I worked through it didn't feel any need to increase-the-difficulty. Details were:
    1.5 miles w/u @9:45 pace, 3 miles (8:41, 8:49, 8:39) of lamppost fartlek, 1.4 miles c/d @9:35pace.

Have been in Dublin for the weekend visiting family, but managed to squeeze in a couple of runs. No James Dunne though. Was mad enough to think I'd maybe get day-4 done in a quiet half-hour while minding my niece and nephew yesterday ... ha! No chance....

Friday, 6th Feb: 60mins comfortable run, 6.23miles @9:38 avg pace
    Did this one round Kimmage, Rathgar and back to HX, starting out late at 9:30. Lovely running weather with no wind. Nice bit of wildlife. I've seen foxes on runs a few times in the past, but this is the first experience of two on one run. I was about 4.5 miles into my run and halfway down Orwell Park when a huge fox came flying across the road and dashed into the garden of one of the mansions. Then about 5mins later I was coming up Dartry Road and another one was heading towards me on the path, trotting along casually at a comfortable pace:cool:. He turned into a garden just before I passed him, but no fear of humans here, he was looking pretty confident.
    The mile splits were 10:22, 9:51, 9:19, 9:22, 9:31, 9:33, .23 @9:04 pace, though the 3rd and 4th mile felt just as easy as first two. Not sure what was going on here, there was only a mild hill factor. Think the Garmin might have glitched on the first mile.

Sunday, 8th Feb: 8.09miles LSR @9:38 avg pace, 78mins total.
    The cold weather was back again for this run, but I got out before there was any frost. A fairly comfortable run, and my mile-times were very consistent, all within 10secs of the average.

weekly total: 20.22miles

The injury muscle de-stiffened a bit from midweek, which is a good thing :) .. but on the other hand had bits of twinges on the Friday run and also on today's. So still watching it.

The week started a bit late because I couldn't get out to do my run on Tuesday, so 2 rest days to start. Think the delay gave a boost to the Wednesday :). And there was progress of a different kind on Tuesday...

Tuesday, 10th Feb: day-4 of James Dunne. *And* 3x10 double leg squats, 3x10 single leg squats each side. Loads of grabbing at the doorpost for the single leg squats but I did make a good effort to have the form right. Could feel the effect on my bottom on Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday, 11th Feb: 58:26min steady/fast run, 6.6miles @8:51 average pace
    Hoped to do this during the day sometime but couldn't fit in it, and only got round to it after finishing work, Pilates, prevaricating (first time in a while for this ..), so headed out at 9:30pm. Plan was to run this at steady effort, doing laps of a circular route of just over a mile near my house. Garmin dropped out twice in the first 1.15 miles (had hit the lap button at .15 I was so annoyed it) and underestimated my distance so I'm not sure of the paces, but the mile there was around 9:15 I think. Then 5 miles without technical issues and I was able to increase the pace through 8:50, 8:53, 8:40, 8:23 and 8:21 :). Saw 7:xx on my watch in the early stages of that sixth mile. After this I was coming towards the end of my run and just ran a short section to get closer to the 60minutes... again the GPS dropped off and this time when it came back I was sure it was overestimating my distance for once. After I got home I did a bit of calculating with Walkjogrun and subtracted .05 off the Garmin total to get 6.6miles which I think is about right....
    Ok - I would not have been *quite* as obsessed with the finer details was it not for the nice progress of this run ;). It was great to have some of the old pace coming back into the legs. A little bit harder than steady pace in terms of feel.

Thursday, 12th Feb: day-5 of James Dunne. Wanted to do the squats as well but this got done quite late in the 'evening', and I have a job, so I had to leave them. Had to put the foot down for a while at around 30secs on each of the 1-min balances which was a bit of a surprise...

Friday, 13th Feb: 60min multi-terrain mostly easy run, 6.22miles @9:39 avg pace.
    Did this from work at lunchtime heading through the meadows and into Holyrood Park. I often run the loop road round the park but the plan for today was to try a small exploration of some of the trails. First mile bringing me up to the park was a mix of road and some grass and mostly flat: 9:40. Second mile was almost all downhill; nice and comfortable, didn't push to make up time like usual but it still came out at 8:36. Then for the 3rd mile I headed for the main trail which crosses the Park. This was my first time doing this in a run - the trail was flat at the beginning but about 2/3 of the way-across it started to climb and I really felt it ...mile 3 came out at 10:22. And I stopped and gave myself a reward of 10secs walking after that :o. The uphill continued for the start of the 4th mile ... I got passed by another runner and when we came to the lump for Arthurs Seat with the steep stairs going up, he turned in that direction; but I continued ahead to find my way out to the road. Was still suffering a small bit so I took a few more steps of walking while trying to find the best way out. Rest of mile 4 was mostly flat and it finished as I came round to the loch, which today was full of warm and happy ducks, geese and swans :). There was a little bit of sun out at this stage and I was thinking I'll be ditching the windcheater & tights very soon. 10:58 for the 4th mile (though I'd seen 14:xx on the watch as I came onto the road around the .3 stage). Was loving the run at this stage with most of the uphill done. Then 5th mile *totally* downhill and I didn't feel I was pushing but gravity is very effective, 8:15. Final mile mix of flat and uphill 9:50 ... and the .22 again uphill at 10:37 pace.

Was mostly an easy pace except for the section around the mile-3 point and the final half-mile of the run. Ran on the grass verge for most of the loop road, so overall about half road, half grass/trail. I am signed up for a race to the summit of Arthur's Seat in June (with 6 other hills along the way) so I'm going to have to do a bit more of this stuff in the months ahead. Yippee! (I think...)

Plan for the weekend is two miles recovery tomorrow, and 9miles on Sunday if the leg says yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Just catching up on your log here H, glad to see you seem to be putting the injuries behind you.

And you were tempted on to the trails in holyrood! Good for you, what a fantastic place to run... Proper hills!

annapr wrote: »
    Just catching up on your log here H, glad to see you seem to be putting the injuries behind you.

And you were tempted on to the trails in holyrood! Good for you, what a fantastic place to run... Proper hills!

Thanks Anna. Fingers crossed :) but I'm not going to be posting any more Woo hoos or anything like that (not in relation to the leg anyway). Don't want to jinx it ....

Saturday Feb 14: 2.07miles recovery run
    Bit more fcukwittage with Garmin at the start but it compensated itself again and it was just over 11min pace as it should be.
    day-6 of the James Dunne challenge

Sunday Feb 15: 9.42miles LSR @9:36 avg pace
    Splits were 10:28, 11:05, 8:47, 8:58, 9:11, 9:31, 9:07, 9:28, 9:41, .42 @9:33 pace.
    Saw the bright and sunny weather outside so I left the tights on the floor where they fell yesterday, and went to dig out some of my summer gear. This was an undulating route, so the paces are all over the place: the 2nd mile was almost entirely uphill, and miles 3, 4, 5 and probably 7 had net downhill. Other miles flat or hill-balanced. Body took longer than usual to get into the swing of running today, that's why the first one was slow. No wildlife on this run but there were hordes of walkers out to experience the springtime; all wearing jackets and many of them still had their hats and gloves. I felt a little bit conspicuous in my shorts with the sunglasses on my head :o. And to be honest it wasn't warm enough to need the shorts... Felt fairly comfortable right to the end and didn't walk at all on the big hill, or any of the smaller ones :)

weekly total: 24.31 miles
    3days of the James Dunne challenge (so far)

Will be doing another James Dunne session this evening so the count will end up at 4 I hope. Had a lot of trouble doing the eyes-closed balance exercises yesterday so might re-do day-6 instead of moving straight to the second phase. If anyone would like to suggest I could continue to day-7 and do the balances as extra, yes it did cross my mind :rolleyes:

The shorts are packed away again after the rash outing on Sunday; lovely weather for running but I've decided the summer gear isn't needed yet.
    Had Tuesday pencilled in for a bit of speedwork, but it was a windy day, so I pushed that back.

Tuesday, 17th Feb: 4.92miles easy run @9:43 avg pace.
    Done on the flat, and was reasonably consistent given the wind factor.
    Had been planning day-7 of James Dunne in the evening, but was late home from a pancake party so didn't have time for that. Did get the squats done though which are probably more important. Less wobbling than last week :)
    3x10 double leg squats, 2x10 single-leg squats each side.

Wednesday, 18th Feb: 1.3miles w/u, 2x650m repeats, 1.57miles c/d (3.67miles total)
    The original plan for Tuesday had been to have a try at doing "Tuesday intervals" on my lonesome (at lunchtime rather than in the evening with the group), to check how much speed I've lost. So now I had them lined up for Wednesday instead. And the wind hadn't gone anywhere .... The intervals are 5 loops of the same route on a 6min window (to cover the repeat and a walking recovery). Anyway I set off on my warm-up towards the usual corner. Had a greeting from one of the runners crossing my path along the way which is quite unusual .. and after he went past I realised it's almost definitely the guy who passed me on the Holyrood Park trail last Friday, and probably saw the steps of walking that day as well :o...
    The repeats: got to the corner and did the first repeat, quicker than expected at 2:58. And I didn't feel too terrible in fact... then on the second repeat I was coming towards a huge Great-Dane-like dog off the leash at around 200m and I just pulled up to avoid any bounding. Started off again and pulled up for no reason about 150m later :( ... so I just jogged it back and threw that repeat away. After a couple of minutes wait I had a go at another repeat and got this in at 2:55 but I did feel pretty wrecked after that. Let myself off the hook, and did an easy run of 1.57miles back to the office. Both w/u and c/d were between 9:30-10:02 pace.
    So, positives - the times for the repeats are only about 10secs slower than my best times in September before I got injured. Now the Garmin is probably taking a couple of secs to kick in as opposed to the stopwatch, and also I only did 2 reps, but maybe I haven't lost quite as much fitness as I thought. That's a surprise because my other runs are coming a good bit slower than before.
    The negatives - I probably don't have much excuse to delay the return to Tuesday intervals.... Have not been looking forward to it because I am one of the slowest in the group, and even worse had been very unreliable with my attendance ... then just as I was starting to attend a bit more and make a tiny bit of progress, I disappeared without a trace because of the injury. The intervals are run by a lovely gentleman who used to run for his country long ago, so I don't like to be disappointing him any more than is natural for the raw material he has to work with :rolleyes:. But I'm going to have to return now and try to work my way up from the back of the class. Was on this basis that I allowed myself to ditch the reps early, I did a bit of self-negotiation & I'm to be lined-up at evening intervals next Tuesday night.

Thursday, 19th Feb: 6.22mile mostly-easy multi-terrain run, @9:50 avg pace
    Exactly the same run as last Friday, same route, bit of extra wind though (which seemed to reverse direction half-way through!). The aim was to get through this without walking - I didn't succeed, but it was about .2miles later up the trail when I succumbed ... so a little bit of progress. Going to have to master this route and then I'm taking it further uphill! Overall a bit slower than last week. Posterior tib. was a bit tight in the second half of the run but nothing a bit of foot rolling won't sort out.

Have tomorrow off from running, and I'm kind of looking forward to it for a change :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Have tomorrow off from running, and I'm kind of looking forward to it for a change :)

Hope you enjoyed a nice quiet day! :)

Hope you enjoyed a nice quiet day! :)

Ah... I did, but do not worry - this is not Ososlo's log, I take at least two days off every week ;). Difference was that I was looking forward to it as I've been very keen to get out when I can in these recent months of rationed running (injury rehab). (Nice time for you at the parkrun this morning btw!)

In fact it was very nearly two quiet days as the laziness kicked-in this afternoon :rolleyes: ... but I eventually pushed myself out.

Saturday, 21st Feb: 3.04miles test-the-speed run (9:30, 8:10, 9:32).
    The whole point of this was to see whether I can do any short fast run; but mindful of Dubgal's tales of her neighbour & his injuries I set it up with a warm-up and cool-down. It was planned with 1.5 miles in the middle, but I didn't feel I had another half-mile at the faster pace. So I'm probably still a bit away from the 25min parkrun never mind back near the PB....

Ah... I did, but do not worry - this is not Ososlo's log, I take at least two days off every week ;). Difference was that I was looking forward to it as I've been very keen to get out when I can in these recent months of rationed running (injury rehab). (Nice time for you at the parkrun this morning btw!)

In fact it was very nearly two quiet days as the laziness kicked-in this afternoon :rolleyes: ... but I eventually pushed myself out.

V-well done to push yourself out! It can be so easy to "not be able to find the runners"... :) And thanks much, feel chuffed (time better than expected) and keen to get back out again, as there are seconds to shave off that time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Hey Hillsiderunner, any races coming up maybe in another month or so?

MKDTH wrote: »
    Hey Hillsiderunner, any races coming up maybe in another month or so?

Not in the next month, too early. Am hoping to do the Battle of Clontarf 10miles on Easter Monday if it goes ahead ... still no website/entry! It gives 6 weeks more so I might have some reasonable fitness by then, fingers crossed. Will do a parkrun in a couple of weeks as a time trial whenever I feel it's likely to go under 25mins.

No Paris marathon, that's gone. Injury took longer to rehab than expected ...

Only definite event at this point is "Seven Hills of Edinburgh" on 21st June (hill race of about 15miles). Will be having to do a good bit of trail-running and recceing for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Not in the next month, too early. Am hoping to do the Battle of Clontarf 10miles on Easter Monday if it goes ahead ... still no website/entry! It gives 6 weeks more so I might have some reasonable fitness by then, fingers crossed. Will do a parkrun in a couple of weeks as a time trial whenever I feel it's likely to go under 25mins.

No Paris marathon, that's gone. Injury took longer to rehab than expected ...

Only definite event at this point is "Seven Hills of Edinburgh" on 21st June (hill race of about 15miles). Will be having to do a good bit of trail-running and recceing for that.

I've also got the Clontarf race also pencilled in so may see you their!

Yeah I was wondering about Paris, at least you don't have to worry about garlic breath now :P

The more experienced wiser runners will certainly back you up on taking your time coming back from injury. The 15 mile hill race should be perfect for you with all of the local hill training you do.

• Advertisement

MKDTH wrote: »
    I've also got the Clontarf race also pencilled in so may see you their!

Well if there's two of us planning on it, they'll have to run it now!
    The more experienced wiser runners will certainly back you up on taking your time coming back from injury. The 15 mile hill race should be perfect for you with all of the local hill training you do.

Hmmm.. those hills might sound big in my reports, but they're not that high in measurement. Even the trail through Holyrood where I stopped and walked is only a 80m climb just like the road, just a bit steeper. Anyway I'll build on that over the months ahead I hope, have a image of myself running over the hills like a mountain goat :rolleyes:.

Sunday, 22nd Feb: 10.74miles LSR @9:39 avg pace
    Beat the weather forecast, only getting a few minutes of light rain and the rest the time bright cold conditions. A bit of a wind factor around, so the first two miles were against the wind and mostly uphill, then a mile and a half of downhill with the wind to my back :), then more moderate conditions for the rest of the run. Slowest mile was mile 2 at 11:07 and fastest was mile 3 at 8:38, for obvious reasons. Found the last couple of miles a bit tough but all the same I was able to speed up a bit in those final miles & also was pleased to find myself quite comfortable coming up a smaller hill in the 10th mile.

weekly total: 28.59 miles.

James Dunne total was 0. And worse than that, I've fallen into a rut with the basic stretching I'm supposed to be doing for the injury. Have still been doing the calf stretches and back stuff after the runs, but hardly ever at other times :o. Only a few sets of calf raises. Just haven't had the mental stamina this week :(. Leg is doing fairly well, but I'm sailing close to the wind so it's better to shame myself in public. If I get re-injured it's my fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Not sure I knew Paris was off? I'm a bit confused:confused: Had you said that on your log? Sorry if I missed it.
    You ok about it?
    Will you target another marathon this year all going well?

Ososlo wrote: »
    Not sure I knew Paris was off? I'm a bit confused:confused: Had you said that on your log? Sorry if I missed it.
    You ok about it?
    Will you target another marathon this year all going well?

I didn't mention it to be honest. But it's the 12th of April, only 7 weeks away, and I am only up to 10.7 miles. Have known for many weeks now there's no way it'd be happening; it's lucky I had not booked the travel :). Absolutely fine about it because I'd like to do a good marathon with loads of training & long runs behind me, am not doing it just to tick it off.

Kind of thinking of Edinburgh marathon at the end of May which is now 14 weeks away. It's a marathon I'd never have targeted otherwise - the route is a bit boring, and also it seems that it's the only day in the calendar which is guaranteed to be hot... But it's *there*. I'll decide about that over the next couple of weeks. Might just wait for Dublin.

I didn't mention it to be honest. But it's the 12th of April, only 7 weeks away, and I am only up to 10.7 miles. Have known for many weeks now there's no way it'd be happening; it's lucky I had not booked the travel :). Absolutely fine about it because I'd like to do a good marathon with loads of training & long runs behind me, am not doing it just to tick it off.

Kind of thinking of Edinburgh marathon at the end of May which is now 14 weeks away. It's a marathon I'd never have targeted otherwise - the route is a bit boring, and also it seems that it's the only day in the calendar which is guaranteed to be hot... But it's *there*. I'll decide about that over the next couple of weeks. Might just wait for Dublin.

You're absolutely right to wait until you're properly ready for it and not do it for the sake of it. Maybe you should wait for Dublin. It's a fantastic marathon in so many ways and the extra added bonus is that you can go to McGrattan's for lots of fun afterwards:D
    Best of luck whatever you decide!

• Advertisement

You're absolutely right to wait until you're properly ready for it and not do it for the sake of it. Maybe you should wait for Dublin. It's a fantastic marathon in so many ways and the extra added bonus is that you can go to McGrattan's for lots of fun afterwards:D

Yep, and apart from all of that it is the more sensible option! (with regard to injuries, fitness). The weight of my decision is on the side of waiting-for-Dublin, but I'm gonna give it a couple of weeks in case my body decides to demonstrate a spontaneous return towards my past speeds/fitness :rolleyes:.

Had the flight booked for Monday eve of the 27th Oct last year (my non-running brother was stunned I'd be back to work the following day, he thought I would not be able to walk!). Anyway, I'd make time for some fun after if doing DCM 2015.

Ended up with 1-and-a-half excuses not to go to intervals on Tuesday evening: the main reason that I'd forgotten that the landlord had made an appointment to come round and do some jobs check out the flat that evening ... also the cough asthma had made a bit of a reappearance early this week because the inhaler had been running out the week before & I only got the new one on Friday. Was coughing a fair bit so I let myself off doing any run at all.

Wednesday, 25th Feb: 5.43 miles steady run, 8:58 avg pace
    Could have tried to do the intervals but I was still coughing, so I opted for something easier. This run was almost entirely flat and I managed to keep all the miles within <10secs of the average. Felt fine at this pace except at the end where I pushed a bit coming up a small hill. Bits of coughing but no coughing fits :)

Thursday, 26th: 1.44miles w/u, 5x650m repeats, 2.11miles c/d (5.55miles total)
    Cough was again a bit better so I negotiated that I'd try the intervals and if the coughing was troublesome I'd allow myself to bail. Did these on the exact same 6min clock as I'd do with the group ... though after seeing Laois_Man's comment about his own sessions, I also think I don't need 3mins recovery. Anyway took this out slightly more conservatively than last week... worked well and I did all 5 repeats with no interruptions or nonsense like walking. The times were 3:06, 3:03, 3:00, 3:04, 3:01. Gave it a good effort but only felt I was pushing hard on the final one. Found a record of doing the repeats all around 2:43 last August, so I'm actually about 20secs off my best. But I think I was a tiny bit off the full effort today (a tactical decision to make sure I didn't bail!).
    Will probably go back to the group on Tuesday but even if I don't I'll make sure I do them alone. Regardless of whether it's exactly the best speed training for my current (fluctuating!) plans, some kind of speed session is better than nothing.

The runs this weekend have been a bit tougher than expected; big wind factor might be partly responsible, but think it's also fitness ... taking a while to get re-acquainted with the bit of extra speed and some extra miles.

Saturday, 28th Feb: 4.19mile steady run @9:04 avg pace
    Found a dry spell during the evening and forced myself out the door for what was originally planned to be 2 fast miles with 1mile w/u and 1/mile c/d. Did the w/u mile and then on the 2nd mile tried to push the pace somewhere near 8mins. Anyway was pushing against a stiff wind, and was generally feeling a lack of power, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to do it... so I decided on a steady run instead. Was just about able to do that :rolleyes:.
    Miles time 9:25, 8:57, 9:07, 8:57, .19 @8:07 pace]

Sunday, 1st March: 11mile hilly "springtime" LSR @9:46 avg pace
    This run was similar to last Sunday's with an extra hilly loop added in the middle, all on road. Was sunny for the most part but there was a strong wind too, and due to the wind and the hills the paces were all over the place. Suffered quite a bit on mile 2 going uphill with the wind in my face... but there were also some lovely stretches in the sun where it felt as though someone had their hand on my back pushing me along :).... Overall I found this more difficult than the recent long runs, which were fairly similar. Ended up walking towards the end of the big hill in mile 2, and again on a short sharp hill in mile 8 :( Only about 8-10 steps each time but still not impressed with myself. Slowest mile was mile 2 at 11:29. Anyway, on the way back towards my flat I had a good blast of wind in my face for most of the 11th mile ... felt like stopping and stamping my foot when this nonsense started again (mentally I was shaking my arm against the sky :mad:). Had planned the run to be close to 12miles but I was coming near my flat towards the end of mile 11 and I decided I'd had enough of getting blown around the place ....so I stopped the watch exactly at the 11-mile point and walked the 100m home rather than adding on the extra mile. An *assertive* act against the weather conditions.

weekly total: 26.17miles

February total: 96.27miles

Even discounting injury-rehab, February is a decent total for me (think it's 4-highest of all time!). Plenty of room for improvement there.

Feeling very virtuous and sensible at the moment. Unannounced here, I had made a secret entry into the Edinburgh marathon back in the middle of January when I knew I wouldn't make it to Paris. It was a tactical registration because Edinburgh allows the transfer/sale of marathon places (hallelujah!), and usually sells out. Anyway today was the last day allowed for transfer & I sold my place to someone else last night. End of May is a bit too soon to expect to get in a good training cycle ... but my real deciding factor is that 7Hills is only 3weeks after the marathon and doing two big races within 3 weeks would probably contradict the don't-get-injured resolution for 2015.

I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the endurance/hill-fitness I need for the 7 Hills. But I have 16weeks to go. Am going to use the next 6weeks to build the Long Run up to 16miles (and weekly mileage up over 30miles), and then after that I'll alternate 12/14/16 for the long runs, taking in some of the 7 Hills on each Long Run. Hope that will do the trick! Figure that this will be a great base for starting the marathon training for Dublin (week -18 is just after the 7 Hills).

Tentative plans for the year:
    6th April, 2015: Clontarf 10miles
    15th May, 2015: Black Rock '5' (local run of about 4.6miles done partly on the beach (and maybe in the sea depending on the tide))
    21st June, 2015: Seven Hills of Edinburgh
    26th October, 2015: Dublin marathon

Of course, *all* could change (but I hope not)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You re going well, relax and enjoy it.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Your going well, relax and enjoy it.

Relaxing tomorrow! Today was not entirely enjoyable ...

It's going ok but it's a bit annoying how a few months (with elliptical and even bits of on/off running) can hit the fitness. So have to make sure I don't injure again ...

I love the way everyone on here takes the wind personally :)

that seven hills sounds like some challenge, you'll have plenty of time to be ready for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

that seven hills sounds like some challenge, you'll have plenty of time to be ready for it...

Ok, this is now on my bucket list

I love the way everyone on here takes the wind personally :)

Don't usually .. tend to be used to it ... but when I turned at 10miles to head West, I couldn't believe it was back *again*. Was at the end of my rope with it ....
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ok, this is now on my bucket list

Has been on my bucket list for a couple of years, didn't want to let it slide any longer! Sooooo much training to be done but will be worth it!

Has been on my bucket list for a couple of years, didn't want to let it slide any longer! Sooooo much training to be done but will be worth it!

Looking forward to the report already!

Was watching the weather on Tuesday and I knew that there was no way I'd be strong enough to push myself out of the house for intervals. The experience over the weekend was still too raw (cue violins...), and I was coughing a fair bit, so I changed the plans and headed out for an easy lunchtime run instead... and it was lashing rain in the evening, so this was the right decision.

Tuesday, 3rd March: 4.88miles easy-ish @9:18 average pace
    Lovely conditions for this one, really the first day of springtime. We'd had our first bit of the white-stuff on Monday night, and the meadows had a few patches of snow, but loads of new crocuses along the perimeter. Sun beating down. Was feeling quite comfortable on this run, but was probably a slightly-harder effort than easy. Consistent pace with the last mile a little bit quicker.
    Had been coughing a little bit on the run, but when I got back to the office had a bit of a coughing fit with an unfortunate side-effect :( .... let's say no more. At least I'm not a real runner.

Took Wednesday off because the coughs seemed a little bit too much.

Thursday, 5th March: 1.27miles w/u, 5x650m repeats on 6min clock, 3.7miles c/d (7 miles total)
    These repeats are (more-or-less) the same as the session of 5x3min @5k pace with 3min recoveries that many people round here have been doing lately. Maybe slightly faster than my current 5k pace. Anyway, this went well. Went out with the concession at the back of my head that I'd let myself bail on the repeats if they were miserable .... but did them all without any messing around :), a little bit faster than last week :). Repeats were 2:58, 2:57, 2:57, 2:59, 2:58. I wasn't really gasping after any of them (I would often be when running them with the group). So I have a little bit extra I didn't use today. Some coughs on the run but they felt more like 'normal' coughs than the asthma cough, feels that the new inhaler is kicking in.
    The w/u miles were @9:27 pace and the c/d miles @9:18 avg pace. Slightly faster than easy pace but I was very comfortable. Really felt this run/session really took nothing out of me today.

Am feeling very happy about transferring my Edinburgh marathon place. It was very nice to be able to drop Wednesday's run and not to be worrying about the miles lost, and how many weeks left. It's nice to be facing into the next big race with >15weeks to go.

• Advertisement

Good to see things going well for you! Remind me what race is in 15 weeks again?

Good to see things going well for you! Remind me what race is in 15 weeks again?

Seven Hills of Edinburgh - it's about 14.5-15miles. No fixed route apart from the 7 hills round the city... not quite orienteering as they must be visited in a fixed order and in between it is road running. The optimal route is 14.3miles but probably I'll take some easier sections on the way. Loads of hill runs to be added over the next months. Will be a great base for starting into marathon training I think (week -18 for DCM is the week after this one :) ).

Planning to do Clontarf 10miles on April 6th but that'll be to "see where I am".

Seven Hills of Edinburgh - it's about 14.5-15miles. No fixed route apart from the 7 hills round the city... not quite orienteering as they must be visited in a fixed order and in between it is road running. The optimal route is 14.3miles but probably I'll take some easier sections on the way. Loads of hill runs to be added over the next months. Will be a great base for starting into marathon training I think (week -18 for DCM is the week after this one :) ).

Planning to do Clontarf 10miles on April 6th but that'll be to "see where I am".

Sounds like an interesting race and yes great prep for mara training alright! So DCM it is then! Super! I'll be out cheering!

I'm realising that the day I really struggle to push myself out onto the roads is Saturday, at least when it's afternoon or later. Going to try to get the Saturday run done earlier in the day in future as it's taking too long to mobilise myself after that...

Saturday, 7th March: 4.3 miles steady/fast @8:47 avg pace
    Took so long to shove myself out, the wind had dropped by the time I headed out :). Lovely mild 12C and I was enjoying myself within half a mile, after all the angst getting out. Had to take off my windcheater half way through because I was too warm! Fairly consistent pace on this one with the first mile a bit slower.

Sunday, 8th March: 12.1 miles hilly LSR @9:35 avg pace
    Spent a good while wasting-time on the internet & following the Boharmeen sweepstakes before going out for this one, after last Sunday's bad run. Anyway Mark English did not win his medal by surfing the net and hiding from the wind, so eventually I headed out and ...Wind. But not as strong as last week, and most importantly it had shifted direction a bit, so there was only one uphill where I had it in my face. Got a little push when I was coming to the top of a sharp hill in mile 4 too, which was appreciated :). This was the same route as last week, except this time I stuck on the extra mile at the end. Didn't walk on any hill, even the annoying one in mile 8. The pace is a bit too fast for a LSR for me right now, I know that ... but I was enjoying myself ... speedup mostly due to the final 4 miles which were low 9:xx. Had a good bit of stomach cramping when I came into my flat, but no side-effects fortunately. I hadn't eaten in the 4 hours before I headed out & I think that's probably explains it ... not a common occurrence! so I hadn't experienced post-run cramping before....

weekly total: 28.1 miles

Sunday, 8th March: 12.1 miles hilly LSR @9:35 avg pace

Jealous! Haven't ran that long for weeks. On the to-do list for next weekend.

Jealous! Haven't ran that long for weeks. On the to-do list for next weekend.

There's no 'Frozen' or football coaching here, so it's easier to get out for the longer distances. It was a reassuringly nice run.

Bet the football will turn out to be good cross-training!

Was not running on Monday, and very happy about that - I nearly got blown over by the wind when I was crossing the street to buy my lunch that day...

Tues, 10th March: 1.3miles w/u, 5x650m repeats on 6min clock, 1.76miles c/d (5miles total)
    "Tuesday intervals" on my lonesome. Did this one after work as the sun was coming down, lovely windless weather, thousands of crocuses on the meadows now looking bright and strong. Was doing the repeats by myself again because I had a clash later in the evening - but there was another runner from the group already there getting hers in early too, doing one of the longer loops. The repeats came in at [2:59, 2:58, 2:57, 3:01, 2:55], more or less the same as last week. Stumbled a bit in the middle of the 4th one and knew it'd end up slower than the rest. Warm-up was around 9:35pace and cool-down around 9:25 average. Two of Scotland's top female distance runners were training together and they powered past me many times during my session... they were there last Thursday too, very impressive speed from them!

Wed, 11th March: 4.09miles easy @9:29 average pace
    Done among the crocuses again.

Thurs, 12th March: 6.24miles multi-terrain run @9:36
    This is the same run that I've been doing on recent Thursdays, with the steepish trail where I have been walking a bit. Goal for today was NOT TO WALK. Started with 1 mile and a bit to take me into the park, then a lovely mile or so of downhill, then onto the trail with just a gentle climb, unfortunately wind in the face for a good part of this. Towards the end of mile 3 the climb gets steeper, so I backed off the pace .... bit more sheltered now though. Was able to continue running longer than on my previous attempts, but was getting tougher as I continued, and as I came near the top the wind was back... at this stage I gave myself a little mini-lecture that the only thing that mattered was not-walking, and backed-off the pace a bit more. Up to the top (without walking!) and then out onto the road. Sometimes the real danger point for me is after the climb is done, but didn't walk here either :). After a while of running on the road the drizzle lifted, the sun came out, and I passed the lake ... had a very enjoyable mile and half of flat/downhill in the sun after this. Then a mile and a bit with some drizzle and some uphill (on the road this time) to finish.

Happy to have done all 3 runs this week :). This is going to be the shape of my midweek training for the next few months ... with the hill factor of the Thursday runs getting more serious as the weeks continue.

Tomorrow off, then it looks like I'll be kicking myself out of bed for parkrun on Saturday morning :rolleyes:.

Think Dubgal is probably twitching as she reads this entry. Sorry Dubgal, I did approximate the Tuesday total!

Your Thursday run sounds lovely! Good on ya for sticking to your guns and not walking.

Best of luck at the parkrun!

Your Thursday run sounds lovely! Good on ya for sticking to your guns and not walking.

Thanks BG. Onwards and UPWARDS
    Best of luck at the parkrun!

Thanks, this parkrun trial is a bit sooner than I'd prefer, but I remembered the rugby visitors next weekend, and they might interfere with an early start :rolleyes: ...

• Advertisement

Good luck with Parkrun! Have you got a particular target?

Good luck with Parkrun! Have you got a particular target?

Seeing "where I am" really. Will be trying to squeeze it in under 25mins if possible (not sure of that right now, but we'll see!)

super! Looking forward to the report! have you done that one before? What's the course like?

super! Looking forward to the report! have you done that one before? What's the course like?

Have done it 8-9 times I think and have volunteered a few times over the past months. It's out-and-back along a lovely wide promenade so no grappling for space. Tends to be a bit blustery on the return but otherwise nice....

Good luck tomorrow, hillside!

So the only bad thing about the good luck messages for parkrun was a bit of performance anxiety during Friday ... I guess it is 6 months since I've done 'racing' of any kind now. Anyway any nerves were gone on Saturday morning having to concentrate on getting out of bed and off on my bike by 8:40 :rolleyes: .....

Saturday, 14th March: 5mins w/u, 5k in 24:41 [7:57, 7:56, 7:47, run-in 7:20], 1mile c/d (4.5 miles total)
    Very nice conditions for this parkrun, cold but hardly any wind. So now I had no excuses .... Didn't arrive as early as hoped but had enough time to do 5mins warm-up and a couple of strides before the parkrun started. The plan was to aim for 8min for the first mile, and under no circumstances to go faster than 7:55. Then if all was well I'd pick it up to 7:50 for the second mile, and maybe a bit more for the 3rd mile (know that's not in keeping with what I wrote here about making 25mins, I was hoping to surprise myself ...).
    Anyway I took the first mile out quite sensibly with the usual flood of people passing me in the first 1/2 mile or so....but after that hardly got passed at all. Kept an eye on the watch and pulled the effort back back slightly a couple of times, and brought this first mile in on target at 7:57. Then into the second mile and checking my breathing it seemed a bit too heavy to pick up the pace, so I backed off slightly and in fact I let the pace go over 8mins during the first half. Then very slight downhill in the second half of mile two brought this one in below 8mins overall. Then I was able to push a bit more in the third mile and knew halfway through this that I'd definitely be below the 25mins :). Nice to do the negative splits too. I passed about 10 people in this third mile and was only passed by 1 :). Then on the run-in, a couple in the 10 passed me back! Anyway, this is the only parkrun where I've paced well, apart from my PB back in September. It's more typical that I crumple in the third mile, after going off too fast. Was of course helped by the lack of wind, because usually we'd be doing the final mile into a headwind!

So, 72seconds away from the PB from September. Will be doing a parkrun every 2-3 weeks from now on, and the aim will be to take 10-15secs off on each attempt, until I get back to September's time ...and below.

Stuck the time into McMillan to check the corresponding paces for tempo/steady/easy etc, and it seems they match my recent guessing pretty well.

Sunday, 15th March: 13.25miles hilly LSR @9:27 average pace
    A similar route to last Sunday's run, except that I changed the second half to put in an extra loop of Holyrood park to increase the hill factor, and get to 13miles. Hardly any wind! Went fine, there were miles as slow as 11:04 and as fast as 8:31, but effort was consistent. Am getting a bit stronger on the uphills and did not even think about walking on any of them (well, not *seriously* anyway). The final significant hill was at the end of mile 10 and I pushed a bit harder on this one. Then the final few miles were flat/moderate and these came in below 9:15 pace. Could feel my tight left adductor in the final two miles so will be foam rolling later.....

weekly total: 33.3miles

:)

• Advertisement

I was galloping around myself this morning and thought "I wonder how hillside got on with his parkrun"!

Very well done @ parkrun! :) Nice job (also on the LSR). Must be a nice confidence boost to hit the sub-25 at your first attempt "back". No doubt you'll be hitting the September times, and below, within 3-4 attempts.

Well done on the parkrun! Won't be long at all before you're getting a new PB - all that hill training will really stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well done on the parkrun! Won't be long at all before you're getting a new PB - all that hill training will really stand to you.

+ 1 to the above. You are building nicely, I'm jealous.

Very well done @ parkrun! :) Nice job (also on the LSR). Must be a nice confidence boost to hit the sub-25 at your first attempt "back". No doubt you'll be hitting the September times, and below, within 3-4 attempts.
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    + 1 to the above. You are building nicely, I'm jealous.

Thanks guys, very nice to say that ... I think it'll probably take 5-6 parkruns to get down to 23-and-a-half, felt I was close to my limit today. Anyway we'll see :).

SamforMayo, you are being very sensible with re-introducing the running, think it's definitely the right thing to do. I tried to push the distance up too quick when I was first coming-back in November/Dec, and I think that's why I reinjured. Got stricter rules for increasing distance from ecoli when I saw him at Christmas and I think being cautious in January made the difference....

Glad the parkrun went well for you... You're being very patient in working your way back, fair play to you. No doubt those Edinburgh hills will stand to you. You can test that on the Howth trail run!

• Advertisement
Advertisement