Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clickable Skin Ads

Options
  • 02-11-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice as Im considering adding clickable skin ads (similar to what you might often see on the likes of rte.ie or entertainment.ie) to my website. What are peoples opinion of these ads? Do they tend to get more clicks than say, banner ads? Are they something that might discourage people from using a website? Also is the a maximum width the website should be to allow for background skin ads? At the moment my site is 1200 wide and I was thinking of reducing it to 1100. Any help/advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I don't particularly like them but they definitely wouldn't stop me using a site, I'd imagine the CTR would be pretty high, given the number of accidental clicks (when users try to get focus on the page but it's already in focus), I know I've clicked lots by mistake.

Again, my opinion - I don't think they're great practice, but I don't find them offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Also add the fat finger syndrome when scrolling on devices for more accidental clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

And is there any company that provides a service similar to Adsense for these skins ads? Been looking online but cant seem to find any!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Sorry to be repeating myself but any know of a website or company I could contact for more information on clickable skin ads? Im finding it very difficult to find any solid information online!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Skins cannot be bought in real time, which is what Adsense is for. Because all sites are different, so too do the skin builds need to be different - an advertiser cannot simply make one skin and run it on a range of sites, like they could with standard banner ads. You need to put the skin up on the site manually, usually this is done by the advertiser supplying you with adserver tags that you then embed onto your site. You would need to sell it as a takeover, which is usually a skin plus a mixture of some standard banner formats (billboard/leaderboard/mpu)

• Advertisement
Advertisement