Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd like to see the same starting XI that was put out against Stoke but maybe bring in Lalanna for Couthinio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Midfield of.

Lucas

---Can
    Henderson--

Lallana

To start the game with Gerrard and Coutinho to come on with 20 to go.

Sterling off Lambert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Allen might start v Sunderland. He's been fairly decent lately.
    I assume Lucas will start v Basle so if he starts at the weekend and then away to Utd I make that 7 starts on the trot????
    If my sums are correct I wouldnt mind seeing
    Can
    Allen Henderson

as the midfield trio for Sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Markovic and Baloteeli haven't failed medicals so not sure how you say it doesn't add up. :confused:

I doubt I could enlighten you in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah weird comparison.

Ah, Rarnes, I am fond of you so I'll explain. The claim was that Liverpool can't afford to take risks like Remy. I would be of the opinion that it was not a huge risk, financially certainly and definitely no more risk then the investment in the likes of Marko and Balo.

Every signing is a risk, it doesn't add up to me that Balotelli was seen as a better bet then Remy, who is far more suited to Liverpools style of play then Balotelli was.

To be even more blunt about it, I am comparing the risk of signing Remy who may or may not break down with an injury at some point with the potential that was bought in Markovic rather then proven ability and the huge character issue risks associated with Balotelli's signing.

They are all risks, which would have been worth the punt in your opinion? Its not like its a bank breaking transfer? I can understand pulling out of the deal if they felt strongly enough about whatever he failed the medical over. Thats fair enough, my only argument was that he was any more of a risk then some of the other signings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Between this and posting in Liverpool match threads when your own teaming are playing, you must be spending more time in here than the United threads m1Ck.

Methinks M!ck is living in a predominantly man utd house hold and is secretly a LFC fan.

Coming on here is his release amongst other things. How else could you explain him watching LFC matches all the time even though they are not on TV and hanging around here.

Its OK M!ck. You're one of us. Come out of the closet buddy.

kryogen wrote: »
    Ah, Rarnes, I am fond of you so I'll explain. The claim was that Liverpool can't afford to take risks like Remy. I would be of the opinion that it was not a huge risk, financially certainly and definitely no more risk then the investment in the likes of Marko and Balo.

Every signing is a risk, it doesn't add up to me that Balotelli was seen as a better bet then Remy, who is far more suited to Liverpools style of play then Balotelli was.

To be even more blunt about it, I am comparing the risk of signing Remy who may or may not break down with an injury at some point with the potential that was bought in Markovic rather then proven ability and the huge character issue risks associated with Balotelli's signing.

They are all risks, which would have been worth the punt in your opinion? Its not like its a bank breaking transfer? I can understand pulling out of the deal if they felt strongly enough about whatever he failed the medical over. Thats fair enough, my only argument was that he was any more of a risk then some of the other signings.

Markovic was signed for potential. Tbh, I'm ok with that. However, if it's at the detriment of other positions it isn't too wise. It's massive money. Hendserson was ridiculed and Lucas before him for big fees.

Ballotelli was a risk but funningly enough, finacially we probably wouldn't make a massive loss if we sold him.

Remy had issues with his heart afaik, and why would a club take a risk? If something happened him I'd imagine there's insurance etc to think about.

I'd imagine it wasnt a decision taken likely as Rodgers really wanted him and he would have suited his preferred system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Interesting explanation on how the main stand will be constructed.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/video/off-the-pitch/features#20018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

the arguement orignally was that Liverpool will finish higher than utd, if liverpool get their house in order.

They are sure. Massive new capacity now. 33% less restricted views . 27 more urinals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kryogen wrote: »

I agree. I've no idea why we pulled out of the Remy deal. 8mil for him was great business compared to going for Balotelli. They never even said what the injury was.

I heard one rumour as to what happened which I probably shouldn't say here, but the fact that Chelsea signed him weeks later just baffles me even more.

Very disappointed we didn't sign Remy as I was delighted at the time when it looked like a done deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Thanks a million to all involved today. I've had a tough day but readig over the posts since this morning has put a smile on my face. :)

I didn't think it was possible but I REALLY REALLY want to beat United more than ever now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

monkey9 wrote: »
    I agree. I've no idea why we pulled out of the Remy deal. 8mil for him was great business compared to going for Balotelli. They never even said what the injury was.

I heard one rumour as to what happened which I probably shouldn't say here, but the fact that Chelsea signed him weeks later just baffles me even more.

Very disappointed we didn't sign Remy as I was delighted at the time when it looked like a done deal.

I thought it was well known that he failed a medical due to some sort of heart issue, which was known about dating back to his Marseille days?

• rarnes1 wrote: »
    Markovic was signed for potential. Tbh, I'm ok with that. However, if it's at the detriment of other positions it isn't too wise. It's massive money. Hendserson was ridiculed and Lucas before him for big fees.

Ballotelli was a risk but funningly enough, finacially we probably wouldn't make a massive loss if we sold him.

Remy had issues with his heart afaik, and why would a club take a risk? If something happened him I'd imagine there's insurance etc to think about.

I'd imagine it wasnt a decision taken likely as Rodgers really wanted him and he would have suited his preferred system

For Chelsea Remy is a bit part player and that's why mourihno signed him.
    For Rodgers he wanted a regular and if his heart was the risk, presuming that if he overplays him this is where the main concern stems from IMO

Today at the stadium announcement

Rossiter must be really really be thought well of to be in with this lot of legends

y2pkyUt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rossiter is "The future"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Rossiter is "The future"!

Stevie's heir apparent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lacazette scored again tonight. 12 in 16 games for Lyon this season.

An all British line up there, only Rodgers from this Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

dobsdave wrote: »

That's pretty cool. I had no idea they were building it that way, I would have assumed they were knocking it down and building a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Apparently Liverpool are ready to offer Martin Odegaard a 5 year contract.

• Advertisement

Back in full training with the squad today.

Matching Mohawk and bib.:D

8549__2802___008_513X307.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Apparently Liverpool are ready to offer Martin Odegaard a 5 year contract.

Looked really good the one game I saw. Then again he's a level above his peers at a young age which is always a caveat. Freddy Adu and Danny Mwanga looked like world beaters at the same age

Still, happy we're going for it

So we have signed the Irish Messi this week and have offered the Norwegian one a contract nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

8-10 wrote: »
    Looked really good the one game I saw. Then again he's a level above his peers at a young age which is always a caveat. Freddy Adu and Danny Mwanga looked like world beaters at the same age

Still, happy we're going for it

He looks a bit frail to me, then so does David Silva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Finally were going to have a proper stadium. 14 years from when we first tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

dobsdave wrote: »

Looks like a construction and engineers nightmare. Bloody hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

garra wrote: »
    He looks a bit frail to me, then so does David Silva

and he's still only 15...

To be honest he must be a pretty tough kid to already be playing regular senior football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What Liverpool player would get into the utd team? Sterling? Sturridge? Henderson? They wouldn't be gauranteed first teamers based on other players being in form. Although Sturridge for rvp would be nice.

Ah this old chestnut, the good times are back boys and how I've missed them. Big match thread coming up soon, evrybody better sap up! On both sides.
    Augmerson wrote: »
    giphy.gif

only one to go.

tumblr_inline_nfi940HTBa1qf37qr.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Liam O wrote: »
    No you guys are right, how can a team like United hold off the Liverpool barrage that's coming to reclaim their Champions League place? If winning games isn't going to do it I'm not sure what's left?

imo utd have much better team man for man.. if utd dont get into the top 4 and Liverpool do then they are muck...simple as

• Advertisement

Today at the stadium announcement

Rossiter must be really really be thought well of to be in with this lot of legends

y2pkyUt.jpg

why didnt they go lower numbers to higher?

I'd make a wild accusation and say because utd have such a better coaching system in place, many combinations of the Liverpool back four would easily walk into their stumbling defense.

Lacazette scored again tonight. 12 in 16 games for Lyon this season.

saw a few youtube clips..looks the business tbh... scouting team and transfer committee prob havent even heard of him :(

Rodgers: ok i want a good centre forward
    Committee: ok we got a spud and Ballotelli
    Rodgers: erm, dont really want either
    Committee: erm lid you can only choose between the two
    Rodgers: mmm then er well ok, I already told the press that we were not gonna sign Ballo coz he's ****
    Committee: spud or Ballotelli
    Rodgers: can i have Ballotelli please
    Commitee: yeah ok
    Rodgers: Sound, how much is he, 10?
    Committee: nah around 16
    Rodgers: deadly so ?!

Finally were going to have a proper stadium. 14 years from when we first tried.

jaysis, has it been that long :(

Could we not just keep Anfield and then get a Oil Barron in, and then transport it via thruster rockets to London ?!

There might not of been a need for the Baron, if the Everton + Liverpool thing had of been agreed at Stanley park.

I'm happy enough with keeping Anfield but it will take a lot longer in reaching the modern stadium standards that we probably need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

After the past few pages next week will be a nightmare for the mods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    For Chelsea Remy is a bit part player and that's why mourihno signed him.
    For Rodgers he wanted a regular and if his heart was the risk, presuming that if he overplays him this is where the main concern stems from IMO

No club would sign, let alone play, a player who might potentially keel over and die during a game if they thought his heart condition was serious.

The idea therefore that Mourinho has some magic "heart attack" indicator which might show when Remy's heart might/ might not be at risk is just nonsense.

All of the Remy speculation is just that, speculation. As ever with this stuff nobody knows the real deal regarding his health apart from the various people within each club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Anyone else queueing for tickets this am? 7 minutes estimated waiting time ATM.

Edit - got tickets for Leicester handily. Nothing left for Swansea. Added tickets to basket but told me I had the wrong adult/junior ratio or some such nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

One of the issues I've had this season is that our defences of the team have been a bit deluded. Arsenal are missing a heap of influential players and are plainly a stronger squad - Sanchez is the man we needed, and we all know it - but, even disregarding them, I want to focus on United:

United have a single issue with their team: defence. It's identifiable, and while it's not necessarily easily solved, it's far less complex than our myriad issues around creativity, midfield, goal conversion and - also - defence.

I won't use a Rodgers-esque line of "it's easy to park two buses" or what have you, but it's quite simply the case that United's single big issue is far more easily resolved than our case, where we have the same issue at heart (defence) and also a whole host of others too.

I honestly think the point gap has served, for far too long, as a bit of a shield to criticism - at the start of the season some deluded themselves with "comparable fixtures", which was a dreadful metric - then it moved to "points off 4th place" - which is still quite misleading, when you consider that we're 5 points off 4th place and Arsenal aren't even inside the top 4. In my opinion, as it was the last time I posted a few weeks back, Arsenal and United are our competition for the top 4: I think Southampton will fall back slightly - they won't suddenly become crap - but they're fall back slightly, which means we have to keep pace with them, gazzump Arsenal and gain seven points over Southampton.

However, we're closing in on 40% of the season gone, and we have an absolute mountain to climb, and I just think some of this talk about us being on a par with United and Arsenal currently is way wide of the mark.

In saying all of that, it's not completely insurmountable, and I can't emphasise enough how fortunate we've been that so many other teams started with flat feet.

Good post. Experience should tell us that 'only six points off it' is meaningless. It didn't matter in 2009 / 10; it didn't matter for Spurs last year. At a certain point you probably are who your results and performances say you are. Sides generally don't shake off their first half of the season and become a completely different animal with a significantly more positive ppg average down the stretch.

Utd have quality across their squad and in the dugout. I expect they will invest heavily in their defense over the coming two windows too. They are positioning themselves where they need to be - they lost a couple of years due to Ferguson's folly but they're on the long march back to the top table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Utd have quality across their squad and in the dugout. I expect they will invest heavily in their defense over the coming two windows too. They are positioning themselves where they need to be - they lost a couple of years due to Ferguson's folly but they're on the long march back to the top table.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/04/manchester-united-arjen-robben-mats-hummels-dani-alves

We need to get our transfer policy in order as if the above happens we could see ourselves slip further down the table.

brevity wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/04/manchester-united-arjen-robben-mats-hummels-dani-alves

We need to get our transfer policy in order as if the above happens we could see ourselves slip further down the table.

This was the year we had to capitalise. We haven't and Rodgers is probably a dog to succeed at the club long term now when he would have been considered a significant favourite just six months ago.

We've had our chances the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This was the year we had to capitalise. We haven't and Rodgers is probably a dog to succeed at the club long term now when he would have been considered a significant favourite just six months ago.

We've had our chances the past few years.

For the sheer amount of money the club has spent by and large the last ~15 years weve had a terrible return if we are being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Probably nitpicking here but I really hate the expression/saying "This is the year [insert improvement]"

Every single year is the year to improve. There is never a year where someone would say "Well we did well last year, I think we can take a break this year in improving"

Rant over

klose wrote: »
    For the sheer amount of money the club has spent by and large the last ~15 years weve had a terrible return if we are being honest.

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

So we have signed the Irish Messi this week and have offered the Norwegian one a contract nice.

Good to have finally replaced Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Mezcita wrote: »
    No club would sign, let alone play, a player who might potentially keel over and die during a game if they thought his heart condition was serious.

The idea therefore that Mourinho has some magic "heart attack" indicator which might show when Remy's heart might/ might not be at risk is just nonsense.

All of the Remy speculation is just that, speculation. As ever with this stuff nobody knows the real deal regarding his health apart from the various people within each club.

In the immortal words of Eric Clapton...

Cocaine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

not yet wrote: »

Cocaine.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You needed strengthing up front and in midfield and you did it fantastically.

I wouldn't call the league yet as City are Champions and if Aguero stays they won't be far away. However, your squad is top class all over and has tons of experience.

Chelsea have a better First XI but City have the better squad. If Cahill Terry Matic Fabregas and Costa stay fit, Chelsea will win the League

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Just sign all the future Messis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Gerrard scores his first goal for the club 15 years ago today.

https://vine.co/v/MZdTavI2dTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Augmerson wrote: »
    Gerrard scores his first goal for the club 15 years ago today.

https://vine.co/v/MZdTavI2dTa

I kinda forgot how good he was.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement