Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I don't even know what it means. Boards is the only place I've ever seen it used. What does it mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I don't even know what it means. Boards is the only place I've ever seen it used. What does it mean?
    whataboutery
    /ˌwɑːtəˈbaʊtərɪ/
    noun
    (of two communities in conflict) the practice of repeatedly blaming the other side and referring to events from the past
    :)

:)

Ah right...thanks. Now where have I seen that used lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool have been given a boost in their pursuit of Porto striker Jackson Martinez after the player's agent confirmed AC Milan have been priced out of a deal.

Martinez has been in brilliant form for Porto this season, scoring 14 goals in just 18 appearances in all competitions.

Since moving to Portugal in 2012, the 28-year-old has netted 74 times in 109 appearances and that has reportedly attracted the interest of several clubs in Europe.

Liverpool are thought to be keen on the Colombia international, while Arsenal also made tentative enquires last summer.

However, one club who are now out of the running are AC Milan after Martinez's agent Peppino Tirri revealed they cannot afford the striker.

"I think it's very difficult [for AC Milan]. Porto want the release clause to be paid (£28m) and they don't intend to budge," Tirri told Calcio News.

"I can confirm that Liverpool want the player."

http://talksport.com/football/liverpool-handed-boost-martinez-pursuit-141205127674

Ah right...thanks. Now where have I seen that used lately?

There's a whole thread of the bullsheeeeeet round here somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

28m is cheap for someone with his goalscoring record.

He's a bit like Arda we get linked to him every window.

Now if we had a spare £50m lying around I would myself go and buy Jackson and Arda.

But that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Now if we had a spare £50m lying around I would myself go and buy Jackson and Arda.

But that's just me.

So annoying that before each of their last moves, we were heavily linked, but didn't pull the trigger - both would have been easily affordable at the respective times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tirri isn't Martinez agent. He's just an agent Porto have used before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

klose wrote: »

He travelled with the squad to Leicester as well. I'd love to see the likes of him make the bench but I don't think he will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

U 18s v Man Utd ends in shock 0-0 scoreline.

Its interesting how certain players are given a little bit of a boost by being included in the first team squad for a few games I reckon we will see Ojo for the League Cup tie (but on the bench)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

But that's just me.

Did ya check behind the cushions on the couch yet?

5live wrote: »
    Did ya check behind the cushions on the couch yet?

Just off to check my euro millions ticket :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Jackson Martinez is 28???

F*ck that, give us 3 lads who were decent in the Barca B team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Tirri isn't Martinez agent. He's just an agent Porto have used before.

Ya anothet article names his agent as Henrique Pompeu.

Don't see Liverpool shelling out a fee like that in January after what was spent last summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

U 18s v Man Utd ends in shock 0-0 scoreline.

Its interesting how certain players are given a little bit of a boost by being included in the first team squad for a few games I reckon we will see Ojo for the League Cup tie (but on the bench)
    Nothing to get moist about so:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Looking at January, we need one prolific striker and one excellent, proven centre mid/defensive mid.

As far as strikers go, who's out there that we can afford, would come to us and would suit the way we play. Not a lot of names I can come up with, and even less who wouldn't be cup tied in the CL. Here's a list of all I can think of anyway.

Jackson Martinez, Milik, Doumbia, Luiz Adriano, Lacazette and Berahino.

All having superb seasons so far. Adriano and Doumbia are probably on ridiculous wages, though, Berahino would cost an arm and a leg and Milik hasn't proven himself as much as the rest. I'd be inclined to go for either Lacazette or Martinez in that instince.

Martinez has looked the real deal since moving to Porto and Lacazette is starting to show serious promise and a goalscoring threat this season. Its a tough one as Lacazette has youth on his side.

What do people think?

I can't imagine us signing anyone for any type of significant money in January. Perhaps if we are right up there close to 4th we might as part of a push to keep us up there but even then I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    What about it?

The way it isn't spelt with 2 bs. So it doesn't have bb in it and it can't remind me of muffins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The way it isn't spelt with 2 bs. So it doesn't have bb in it and it can't remind me of muffins.

As valid a reason as any, good Sir.

I'd be pretty surprised if we signed anyone of note in January as funds could be tight, I would also wonder if Fsg trust Rodgers with buying players at this rate. If i were them I'd be looking at our supposed leader Lovren for 20 million who looks as bad a defender we've had in years. Our two new full backs seem to be rotated heavily, can barely plays. Lallana plays every 2nd game. Markovic at 20 mill with zero impact, Balo looking a square peg in a round hole.
    Basically over 100 million spent, defence worse than ever and what, 7 goals combined in all competitions from our new players? Personally couldn't blame Fsg if they don't solely trust Rodgers with money at this rate.

I'd like to see Lovren operate while Lucas is DM and beside someone other than Skrtel. He didn't turn to dung overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

We need a goalkeeper in January. After that a striker. Then a midfielder. That's how I prioritise things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

hefferboi wrote: »
    Looking at January, we need one prolific striker and one excellent, proven centre mid/defensive mid.

As far as strikers go, who's out there that we can afford, would come to us and would suit the way we play. Not a lot of names I can come up with, and even less who wouldn't be cup tied in the CL. Here's a list of all I can think of anyway.

Jackson Martinez, Milik, Doumbia, Luiz Adriano, Lacazette and Berahino.

All having superb seasons so far. Adriano and Doumbia are probably on ridiculous wages, though, Berahino would cost an arm and a leg and Milik hasn't proven himself as much as the rest. I'd be inclined to go for either Lacazette or Martinez in that instince.

Martinez has looked the real deal since moving to Porto and Lacazette is starting to show serious promise and a goalscoring threat this season. Its a tough one as Lacazette has youth on his side.

What do people think?

Out of that list id want Martinez first followed by Adriano. Both would score goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Lovren operate while Lucas is DM and beside someone other than Skrtel. He didn't turn to dung overnight.

Maybe but he has to earn his place now. Defence looks alot more solid without him. Remember Sakho to come back too, at least competition for CB positions will be there finally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Was talking to a scout from Scunthorpe United last night.....finger on the pulse of football lads, in the know and all that so I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I'd be pretty surprised if we signed anyone of note in January as funds could be tight, I would also wonder if Fsg trust Rodgers with buying players at this rate. If i were them I'd be looking at our supposed leader Lovren for 20 million who looks as bad a defender we've had in years. Our two new full backs seem to be rotated heavily, can barely plays. Lallana plays every 2nd game. Markovic at 20 mill with zero impact, Balo looking a square peg in a round hole.
    Basically over 100 million spent, defence worse than ever and what, 7 goals combined in all competitions from our new players? Personally couldn't blame Fsg if they don't solely trust Rodgers with money at this rate.

Isn't there a transfer commitee in place ? So they do all have to agree on a player . Maybe it's time to let the manager have full say and no one else .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

We need a goalkeeper in January. After that a striker. Then a midfielder. That's how I prioritise things.

I'd be putting striker first on that list tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

Jaysus is right, looks like a golfing polo shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

New shirt designer just jumped to the top of the list!

Wuss united girlie men outfits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

garra wrote: »
    Jaysus is right, looks like a golfing polo shirt

I see that for sale in tk maxx for a 10er in a years time....we are absolutely gone to the dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

gafferino wrote: »
    I'd be putting striker first on that list tbh.

I genuinely think a proper keeper will do wonders for the entire defence. I don't mean some has been like Valdes either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

The Liverpool kits are awful.

Maybe the designers have become depressed with the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That jersey looks like something you would see in Jonesborough market back in the late 90s.

There is no way it will be an official strip.

How many of these has been down to Mig? To think he's got away with a couple too.
    B4KtwUjCIAI0m53.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

Charlie19 wrote: »
    How many of these has been down to Mig? To think he's got away with a couple too.

Most notably last Tuesday's pass to Cambiasso - a gift of an open goal and head start in the game. I do think the defenders need to take some responsibility as well and stop passing the ball back to him under the tiniest bit of pressing. At least with Lambert on the pitch they can lump it and he might hold it up.

garra wrote: »
    Most notably last Tuesday's pass to Cambiasso - a gift of an open goal and head start in the game. I do think the defenders need to take some responsibility as well and stop passing the ball back to him under the tiniest bit of pressing. At least with Lambert on the pitch they can lump it and he might hold it up.

The play from the back routine has to take a back seat at times and just play it simple, Its great and all working from back to the front but it cant be done all the time. Like you say, just hoof it up field when in doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Mignolet is going to get caught doing one of those Cruyff turns.

That jersey is the worst I've seen from a Liverpool top, and I absolutely hated the big white V neck ones that Collymore, Fowler etc wore around 20 years ago.

Martin Skrtel to become the 12th Liverpool to player to make 200 PL appearances for the club if he starts today.

Lucas is 10 appearances off Skrtel.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That jersey looks like something you would see in Jonesborough market back in the late 90s.

There is no way it will be an official strip.

Happens every year...ridiculous looking jersey is 'leaked' and the actual jersey looks nothing like it.

Yup it obviously a fake and probably put together by someone's granny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

No wonder gerrard is considering leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Were a load of posts deleted or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

No wonder gerrard is considering leaving

It cant be that bad. Just can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

There are so many things wrong with this post it's insane. Our two young fullbacks who are rotated frequently? A young CM rotated frequently? A 20 year old who is supposedly a very good player with zero impact? Balotelli being forced to play a role he's not used to? Are you the kind of person who expects every single decision to have an immediate impact and anything short of your unreasonable expectations is deemed a failure? Manquillo and Moreno are good players with a bright future, Can looks a decent player, we already know Lallana is a decent player. Markovic has a lot to prove but it seems like you're writing him off already. Everyone knows Balotelli can produce but he's being asked to play where he's not comfortable. Get a grip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement