Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sturridge better come back as the football equivalent of Jesus or we're so screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

brevity wrote: »

What do you want him to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

5starpool wrote: »
    Lambert offered nothing today except a static point to aim at. No way Balotelli offers less as far as I'm concerned.

Couldn't agree more. If anything he hindered our build up play by somehow having a reputation for being a big target man up front which encouraged us to play the occasional long ball which Browne and O Shea mopped up with glee.

Get him out of the team as soon a humanly possible. He offers absolutely nothing.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    What do you want him to say?

I don't know really, I'm just confused he is putting himself in that position.

I'm under no illusions about Borini, I just think that constantly starting a slow 32 year old with no suitable substitute is...strange to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

How in the name of god did we end up with the worst strikers in the premier league, its crazy when you think of it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Borini isn't good enough for Liverpool, I appreciate that, however in the absence of a mobile forward such as Sturridge or Suarez at least he offers movement to drag defenders out of position, stamina to do it for 90 mins and he's reasonably nimble. Couthino, Sterling and Lallana (Henderson to a slightly lesser degree) thrive on movement and space opening up before them. Lambert, is as honest as the day is long, just doesn't offer this. To reiterate: Borini isn't good enough, but at least his attributes fit with a style of play that worked for us last season. I don't understand why he's not getting a look in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

shamrock55 wrote: »
    How in the name of god did we end up with the worst strikers in the premier league, its crazy when you think of it:mad:

Poor transfer dealings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Since we always seem to be chasing the next Messi... How the hell did we not go after the original next Messi.

Bojan the prefect moneyball player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Your opinion is not gospel, despite what you think.

Two goals versus one.

Getting a Leicester player sent off in a game we were struggling in.

His contribution to Johnson's goal last week.

All that in about 25%/33% of the gametime.

It isn't an opinion, it's what has happened this season.

You are on a one man mario hate mission though so obviously you will say that :rolleyes:

Ah now, I could equally argue you are completely delusional about his potential as a productive member of a Liverpool starting 11.

Edit: oh yeah, I forgot the rollie-eyes. Seems to be what you understand to pass for a coherent argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If people want to make the case that Borini isn't good enough for Liverpool, fair enough. But to not even include him on the bench, to have the option? What if Lambert is injured or sent off today? Who do we bring on then?

We get it Brendan. You don't don't like Borini anymore. You resent him. You won't give him a chance incase he shows you up and does something good for the team and makes you look a tit. Well you don't have to worry about that because it's this kind of ****e that makes you look a tit as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Is this season over yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

ebbsy wrote: »
    Is this season over yet ?

Hell no!
    we haven't even reached half time yet in the season.
    Sure isn't it a game of two halves?:D

YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Since we always seem to be chasing the next Messi... How the hell did we not go after the original next Messi.

Bojan the prefect moneyball player.

He's woeful. Wouldn't go near him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

We had Coutinho/Lallana/Sterling on the pitch today as well as Lambert lads, it doesn't hurt when your team can chip in with a few goals from other positions than the forwards. It's a team game. Time for the rest of them to man up and start grinding out results until we get Sturridge back and/or get a new striker in.

We've stopped the rot since the Lodogarets game to be fair and the result of this is that we have Lucas playing beside another holding mid. Now all we need is for the team to sneak a few goals and stop with the excuses.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

noodler wrote: »
    Two goals versus one.

Getting a Leicester player sent off in a game we were struggling in.

His contribution to Johnson's goal last week.

All that in about 25%/33% of the gametime.

Well for a start Balotelli has scored two goals.

I'm not trying to say that Balotelli has played well or that Lambert has done nothing, but Balotelli has been criticised for lack of movement and effort when Rickie Lambert isn't anything like a full of movement mobile striker.

Balotelli is being overly criticised for the exact same things that Lambert is not being criticised for in a lot of instances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Wonder if Rodgers would take the chance on bringing Robbie Keane back? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

How many different combinations of players does Rodgers have to go through before he realizes playing one up front is not working with the players we have?

Two goals versus one.

? Balotelli has scored twice so far this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'm not trying to say that Balotelli has played well or that Lambert has done nothing, but Balotelli has been criticised for lack of movement and effort when Rickie Lambert isn't anything like a full of movement mobile striker.

Balotelli is being overly criticised for the exact same things that Lambert is not being criticised for in a lot of instances.

Difference is that Balotelli could do it if he wanted but comes across as a lazy git whereas Lambert can't physically be as mobile as we or he would want.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Difference is that Balotelli could do it if he wanted but comes across as a lazy git whereas Lambert can't physically be as mobile as we or he would want.

Neither are the answer really. I don't think Balotelli could do it particularly as he isn't the type of player that has ever behaved like that in his career, but if you had Balotelli in our team last years as we were playing then instead of Sturridge, I bet he would have done very well for us. All hypothetical though.

If Balotelli played today and did exactly as Lambert did today he would have been criticised every 5 minutes by commentators and stories would have been written about his lack of everything, but nothing of the sort is ever said about Lambert.

I was very disappointed that 3 points weren't earned today. However, a little over a week ago I think we all would have been delighted with 7 points from the next 9 & two clean sheets :)

Also we have seen Gerrard dropped/rested from the starting 11 and used differently to the much maligned DM role that he was being shoehorned into.

Lallana has seen significant game time and Lucas & Toure have returned and both have had a decent influence.

To be fair, we have seen a response to the recent very poor run of results up to last Saturday, the performances are still not up to what's required but that won't improve overnight.

Roll on Tuesday and than Old Trafford :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This season is a testament to just how important it is to have pace and movement up front.

We're frighteningly predictable and one-paced.

Sterling is doing his best carrying the lone threat, but he's fighting a losing battle.

I forgot about his carling cup goal.

Lambert can't be a mobile striker. He has done what was required of him, forcing an equaliser in Ludogrets when Mario wouldn't have been anywhere near it, his header forcing the Johnson goal etc.

People think Ballotelli could be great if he tried but I don't even think that. We would have to see him try first. I know Lambert has offered more effort and end product than Mario in less gametime.

The movement argument, Rodgers knows what he has to do if he wants more willing running up front, I don't think it makes sense criticising Lambert for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

A lot of these old goals of the season on MOTD seem to be against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Turtyturd wrote: »

Back then you had to to something special to get past our defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

The movement argument, Rodgers knows what he has to do if he wants more willing running up front, I don't think it makes sense criticising Lambert for it

It's not a criticism of him, more so of Rodger's team selection. We all knew what we were getting with Lambert and he can do a job. The team last season were dynamic, new additions such as Lallana, Markovic and Moreno are supposed to compliment that style of play but the way Lambert plays doesn't really suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Watching motd lately i wish we haf got erikson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Suppose one positive is that Sterling seems to be improved on recent weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Turtyturd wrote: »

Typical anti Arsenal Liverpool bias from the media

Depressing.

B4M-CiNCQAA9E8c.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Where's Morzadec and his alternate table when you need it? Miss that fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Knex. wrote: »
    Where's Morzadec and his alternate table when you need it? Miss that fella.

That was interesting alright but I always felt it was a bit silly. You simply cant quantify an "Easy" match or a match a team should win, on paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Timmyctc wrote: »
    That was interesting alright but I always felt it was a bit silly. You simply cant quantify an "Easy" match or a match a team should win, on paper.

Of course you can...we've got a piss easy one next weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Timmyctc wrote: »

I dunno, I saw the logic behind it and it was also a work in progress.

The bookies seem to be able to quantify it enough, although I know that's a little different.

I mean, look at Leicester. If 90% of teams beat Leicester at home, not doing so yourself means you lose points on other teams, and will have to make up for it in a more difficult fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

evening comrades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Of course you can...we've got a piss easy one next weekend :)

bookmarked ;)
    Knex. wrote: »
    I dunno, I saw the logic behind it and it was also a work in progress.

The bookies seem to be able to quantify it enough, although I know that's a little different.

I mean, look at Leicester. If 90% of teams beat Leicester at home, not doing so yourself means you lose points on other teams, and will have to make up for it in a more difficult fixture.

in fairness the bookies method is vastly different. That alternate table tried to quantify the difficulty of games with very little to go off other than an interpretation of what is an easy game. There are a million and one things you can't predict with regards to games, form, fatigue, injury, weather, refereeing, beachballs, coaching and tactics, etc etc etc. A match that appears easy based on current form isn't necessarily the case later in the season. Look at Newcastle a month or so ago versus now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I was angry a few weeks ago. I lost fate in rogers...shame on me.
    Last season was the greatest football I have ever seen....and I mean ever...
    none of your sky sports putting it in slow motion and saying the defender should have done this and the defender should have done to stop a one of our goals . . . no one had an answer ...I know your going to say Chelsea did but when a team that was worth the money they cost has to come to anfield and were hoping not to lose. they got lucky but they have the medals but no one will ever remember there campaign.

you could have won this medal and that medal and the flash that **** under name as a pundit...."won x amount of league and x amount of cups"...it really doesn't mean **** to me...
    Matt le tissier....is a pundit and not a good one at that. he won nothing...but god willing I have a kids and good old matt is on the telly I will say he was exceptional player . I loved him.

That's matt le tiss...just imagine what I think of Gerard sterling suarez sturridege cout last year...absolute pleasure to watch...
    Rogers was the manager
    Borini should have left . ballotelli is and will be a disaster and will be gone in the summer but I think the americans are clever ****ers

Perfect example lets get a sanchez...direct replacement for suarez...he didn't want to come
    We have ibe , wisdom ilori ojo sterling. sturridge (who will never leave), can , markovic....we will have serious team. we will be fast flowing and confident again.... sakho will come good. we have the best of the young player the will pool culture will be ingrained in them and they will never leave unless for ridiculous money to barca or Madrid.
    I believe in rogers as a coach . I believe in him as a manager.
    Where benitez was very calculating and ultimately frustrating to the magician players rogers will nurture them>
    When benitez made changes (near the end of his tenure ) I was like what is he thinking(Birmingham tores anyone).. when rogers makes a change its the change that I am saying 2 minutes before.

It will be the end of this year and definitely next year when I happens.
    I feel for stevie as time is running out but I do have fate in rogers

You have to ask yourself who could we get to take over that squad now...klopp I hear you say? klopp is the next arsenal manager.

Let stick with rogers ....if we know early in jan that 4th is not possible then I hope he throws out a young team and let them get the experience

This is lucas last season( he is playing great stuff). this is skrtels last season this Johnson last season.

• Advertisement

Beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I was angry a few weeks ago. I lost fate in rogers...shame on me.
    Last season was the greatest football I have ever seen....and I mean ever...
    none of your sky sports putting it in slow motion and saying the defender should have done this and the defender should have done to stop a one of our goals . . . no one had an answer ...I know your going to say Chelsea did but when a team that was worth the money they cost has to come to anfield and were hoping not to lose. they got lucky but they have the medals but no one will ever remember there campaign.

you could have won this medal and that medal and the flash that **** under name as a pundit...."won x amount of league and x amount of cups"...it really doesn't mean **** to me...
    Matt le tissier....is a pundit and not a good one at that. he won nothing...but god willing I have a kids and good old matt is on the telly I will say he was exceptional player . I loved him.

That's matt le tiss...just imagine what I think of Gerard sterling suarez sturridege cout last year...absolute pleasure to watch...
    Rogers was the manager
    Borini should have left . ballotelli is and will be a disaster and will be gone in the summer but I think the americans are clever ****ers

Perfect example lets get a sanchez...direct replacement for suarez...he didn't want to come
    We have ibe , wisdom ilori ojo sterling. sturridge (who will never leave), can , markovic....we will have serious team. we will be fast flowing and confident again.... sakho will come good. we have the best of the young player the will pool culture will be ingrained in them and they will never leave unless for ridiculous money to barca or Madrid.
    I believe in rogers as a coach . I believe in him as a manager.
    Where benitez was very calculating and ultimately frustrating to the magician players rogers will nurture them>
    When benitez made changes (near the end of his tenure ) I was like what is he thinking(Birmingham tores anyone).. when rogers makes a change its the change that I am saying 2 minutes before.

It will be the end of this year and definitely next year when I happens.
    I feel for stevie as time is running out but I do have fate in rogers

You have to ask yourself who could we get to take over that squad now...klopp I hear you say? klopp is the next arsenal manager.

Let stick with rogers ....if we know early in jan that 4th is not possible then I hope he throws out a young team and let them get the experience

This is lucas last season( he is playing great stuff). this is skrtels last season this Johnson last season.

His name is Rodgers............jeeeeeeez!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't get all this 'team in transition' stuff. Suarez of course is a massive loss, irreplaceable really. Sturridge (even if he had stayed fit) would find it harder to lead the line with the loss of him. Suddenly, all the attention that other teams had to place on Suarez can be reassigned to Sturridge/Sterling etc.

However, a team that finishes in 2nd place needs to push on to become better, transition to 1st. It seems as if Rodgers has thrown out all the good stuff from last year and started all over again.

The more the season goes on the more it appears that last season was a flash in the pan, when everything just clicked.

No European football, very few key injuries, teams seemed surprised everytime they faced Liverpool. Up until Chelsea worked them out an laid the blueprint for how to contain (an then luckily) beat them, but it was a big change from the type of game that Arsenal etc had faced.

Yes, new players were brought in, but in the main they were long-term younger replacements. Can fom Gerrard etc. They in no way explain the complete car crash of the season so far. Unless this is actually their natural level an Neville was right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

after the palace match if you offerd me 7 points from 9 ,without even looking at who we were playing i would have bitten your hand off for them .. were not pretty but we are not out of the running for top 4... we can only improve...

i hope

after the palace match if you offerd me 7 points from 9 ,without even looking at who we were playing i would have bitten your hand off for them .. were not pretty but we are not out of the running for top 4... we can only improve...

i hope

If Utd win their next 2 (us being the second game), then we are IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We won't beat United. Both teams are leaking goals. They can score. We can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

i hope

The yardstick to measure performance by should always be the top team in the league, never the rubbish around us. The league as a whole has been really poor this year except for Chelsea, City and Southampton.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Mr Alan wrote: »
    If Utd win their next 2 (us being the second game), then we are IMO

Like regardless of your outlook on football to say that an league position battle is done and dusted not halfway through the season is completely moronic, makes no sense.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Like regardless of your outlook on football to say that an league position battle is done and dusted not halfway through the season is completely moronic, makes no sense.

They'd be 10 points ahead of us.

There is literally nothing we've seen this season which would suggest we could overturn that kind of gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Monday's game is important for us. Utd win & they have huge momentum going into the game next sunday.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Monday's game is important for us. Utd win & they have huge momentum going into the game next sunday.

You could say the same if we win on Tuesday. That's the only game we should be concentrating on right now, shouldnt let next weekends game be a distraction and whatever happens Monday is outside of Liverpool's control

A win on Tuesday is all I care about right now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement