Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

Basel game dwarfs Utd game in importance.

I'll take a loss next weekend for a win during the week if I had to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Basel game dwarfs Utd game in importance.

I'll take a loss next weekend for a win during the week if I had to

I'm actually the opposite.

We're tethering on the brink of our league season being over.

Mr Alan wrote: »

I don't think one game v Utd will define our league season.

Anyway I think if we can get through v Basel we'll be on a high going into the Utd game, and maybe give them a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I have no idea why anyone is talking about either/or! Win both dammit, or at least win the first and draw the second. 4th place will be about 65 points at most the ways things are going. Any number of sides could reach that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

So you would prefer us to struggle to fight for 4th this year to hopefully qualify for next season's Champions league rather than actually play the latter stages of the Champions league this season? A most peculiar outlook.

If Utd win their next 2 (us being the second game), then we are IMO

Utd are according to the bookmakers less than a 1 in 5 chance of doing so, bookmakers are good at quantifying such things imo.

Unfortunately they reckon a Liverpool top 4 finish is about the same chance.

They'd be 10 points ahead of us.

There is literally nothing we've seen this season which would suggest we could overturn that kind of gap.

You reckon arsenal will get 3rd so presumably?

garra wrote: »
    So you would prefer us to struggle to fight for 4th this year to hopefully qualify for next season's Champions league rather than actually play the latter stages of the Champions league this season? A most peculiar outlook.

Solidifying our position in the Champions League is the most important thing IMO.

Augeo wrote: »
    You reckon arsenal will get 3rd so presumably?

I think it would be silly to bet against Arsenal getting a top 4 spot. Wenger seems to be able to guarantee a top 4 place (his record in delivering that, often against the odds, is incredible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Solidifying our position in the Champions League is the most important thing IMO.

Why? Coefficient points are fairly worthless if you miss the top 4 for next seasons CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

Fair enough. I want to see us play the best teams in Europe on Champions league nights and I dont care to wait until next season or the one after, so bring on Basel and lets give ourselves something to look forward to in 2014.
    We might turn a corner in terms of form and with a new player or 2 also, so our participation may exceed the provision of cannon fodder for the likes of Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Would you rest players on Tuesday then?

To me Tuesday is a must win as we're out if we don't, whereas Sunday I think we could draw and still be in contention for 4th.

With the defence getting a bit tighter my immediate concern is how much will Toure be missed when he goes to the African Cup of Nations (I think that's the correct name). Although Sakho is near fit again and I do rate him as not too bad as a defender, to be fair I think he's quite good in fact.

Scoring goals has been a problem for us but I feel with Gerrard in an advanced role coming on for Lallana or being on from the start on occasions that between the two of them they should bring 8 to 10 goals over the remaining 23 league games (not including penalties), Lallana is 2 goals from 9 PL appearances so far and Gerrard is 3 from 13. The first 2 of Gerrard's goals were against Everton & Tottenham back in Aug/Sep when Gerrard was in DM.

It is reasonable to expect that Lambert, Balotelli & Sturridge (and hopefully the Borini replacement who will arrive in January) will between them score 10 to 12 goals in the remaining 23 fixtures.

I reckon the above is quite a reasonable expectation :D

In the last 3 PL games only Man City and Man Utd have taken 9 from 9, given Liverpool have 7 from 9 there is definitely the opportunity to look forward with optimism imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I actually forgot we are being investigated in regards to FFP. We won't be getting any 15m+ players in January imo. Its also why Tuesday is a huge game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

They'd be 10 points ahead of us.

There is literally nothing we've seen this season which would suggest we could overturn that kind of gap.

every single season there are teams who are 10 points off safety, 10 points of the title, 10 points off 4th etc etc

It's too myopic to hold the view you hold, this isn't an act in making excuses, I'm not impressed with this current liverpool side, and particularly how it's being managed, but what you are saying is goldfish-like in you inability to accept that it is way too soon to draw any conlusions on the league, not just for Liverpool but for anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'm actually ****ing dreading this game against Basel. We need to win and we do not look like a team that excels in attack. Rodgers persists with one up front and won't play Borini or even have him as a sub. So it'll be Lambert, and for all his effort and honesty he won't be the key to unlock them.

We don't look threatening from set-pieces either. I don't know where the goals are going to come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Jim Boardman reporting in the times that FSG are sounding out AVB in case they sack Rodgers.

https://twitter.com/jimboardman/status/541572403063959552

Ahahaha AVB?!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Augmerson wrote: »
    Ahahaha AVB?!

giphy.gif
    Yup.

BR is Stubborn, but that's Nothing compared to AVB's Ineptness.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

8-10 wrote: »
    Would you rest players on Tuesday then?

To me Tuesday is a must win as we're out if we don't, whereas Sunday I think we could draw and still be in contention for 4th.

No point resting as it's a Tuesday to Sunday gap so loads of recovery time regardless of anyone's priorities. I want to win both although I fear we'll win none. We have a better chance of Tuesday though as Basel aren't great and we are at home (not that that's been much of an advantage this season).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

AVB....i'd think i'd just give up football altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Higuain or Bony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

As a soccer fan I want to see us in the latter stages of the CL but we're light years from winning it with this team and the manager isn't capable imo of setting us up tactically to cause too many upsets. It would be great to see a few more big European nights at anfield this season but in terms of importance though I would take the three points against United over it. Huge six pointer and means the gap will be only 4 if we win but 10 points if we lose and they are over the hill and gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

If FSG sack Rodgers we will probably end up with Martinez or Gary Monk. Would love to see a manager that has managed a big club come in if Rodgers can't turn this team around, someone like Rudi Garcia, Emery or Bielsa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Montroseee wrote: »
    Higuain or Bony.

Of the two. , bony

Sack Rodgers and AvB level and worse is the reality.

No doubt we'd go for Koeman as he's flavour of the month.

Talk of Klopp etc is delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Not sure AVB would be any worse than Rodgers to be honest, or any better either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Sack Rodgers and AvB level and worse is the reality.

No doubt we'd go for Koeman as he's flavour of the month.

Talk of Klopp etc is delusional.

And what level is Rodgers at?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    And what level is Rodgers at?

Wengers atm to name one

• Advertisement

Wengers atm to name one

Well this sums up Liverpool supporters to a T!

Thanks.

it's good to be behind the manager and not call for his head during a bad run eh ;)

Carroll and Downing ripping up the league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I actually agree with this line of thinking, concentrate on the league. I'm just surprised to hear this coming from you, I always had you pegged as a give your all in the cups no matter what as there's no trophy for coming fourth kinda guy.

Thanks.

it's good to be behindI the manag and not call for his head during a bad run eh ;)

At a higher level fans have more expectations from their manager. For arsenal champions league qualification is a minimum for the players, for Liverpool their players will probably be happy if basle let them into their dressing room and sign a few autographs. So you see why the fans have different reactions.

And I'm firmly in the pro Wenger camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

for Liverpool their players will probably be happy if basle let them into their dressing room and sign a few autographs.

And this sums you up to a T.

It's a big week coming up and of course the papers are going to come up with articles like FSG eyeing up potential replacements given Liverpool's season so far.

And maybe FSG are eyeing up replacements. I wouldn't blame them. But AVB? **** that 100%.

There are similarities between AVB and Rodgers, in that both were fortunate to have a world class player - Bale and Suarez. And both had and are having a torrid time replacing those players, having spent substantial amounts.

It didn't help AVB with the situation at Chelsea, where anything but top 3 gets you the bullet and he either lost or had the senior players out against him. Spurs sounded better for him but Levy and Baldini apparently acquired players he didn't want. He still had great squads however and really failed to get the most out of them.

AVB has signed slightly better players I think but then he has had better funding (certainly at Chelsea) to do so. I don't know how he would work with our budget. AVB has had much better squads than ours. And when it came to rebuilding a side I think he did poorly. He wouldn't be a good option.

I'd rather we stick with Rodgers, even if we lose both of the big games coming up this week and I'd hate that to happen, but bring in Origi and start playing Borini or including him in squads (PLEASE FFS) and keep up the defensive improvements and we'd have an outside chance of top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

At a higher level fans have more expectations from their manager. For arsenal champions league qualification is a minimum for the players, for Liverpool their players will probably be happy if basle let them into their dressing room and sign a few autographs. So you see why the fans have different reactions.

What the bleeding hell are you all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Listening to the Sunday Supplement this moring I don't know which one of them said but he hinted that Gerrard and Rodgers don't get on at all.

If Rodgers was to get the sack I would imagine Gerrard would put his name forward for the mangers job if the likes of AVB were in the running for it as well.

With Liverpools history in the European Cup I doubt they'll be just happy to turn up, 5 wins just didn't happen by accident.

There are teams that seem happy to do that every season I do agree.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    What the bleeding hell are you all about?

Well the other poster got me riled up so I may have been a little incoherent. I was basically saying arsenal supporters are (with no disrespect to Liverpool) looking for more from their club so that's why the manager is under more pressure from the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Well the other poster got me riled up so I may have been a little incoherent. I was basically saying arsenal supporters are (with no disrespect to Liverpool) looking for more from their club so that's why the manager is under more pressure from the fans.

Your manager has achieved the bare minimum (your words) for nearly a decade and is still in a job. Our manager nearly won the league last season and is already under pressure. Forget the wrongs and rights of each situation your post above about looking for more from their club is utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

skywalker wrote: »
    Jim Boardman reporting in the times that FSG are sounding out AVB in case they sack Rodgers.

https://twitter.com/jimboardman/status/541572403063959552

Its been too long

http://eplindex.com/14831/andre-villas-boas-succeed-liverpool-failing-chelsea.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

As he should be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Don't feed him lads!

Have all be calling us victims again if you "rile" him up!

Your manager has chieved the bare minimum (youron words) for neary a decade and i.still in a job. Ou manager nearly won the league last season and is already under pressure. Forgetthe wrongs and rights of each situation your post above about looking for more from their club is utterly ridiculous.

Wenger has done the bare minimum in terms of pleasing the the fans, he has on the other hand spent the least amount of money to achieve the maximum profit, which keeps the owners and shareholders very happy. Not great for the fans though but football has changed and it's all about the money.

I don't want to get into a big debate but Rodgers has spent a lot of money very poorly, has big cl game coming and looks very poor in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

In a way, I admire FSG's stance on their financial outlook and in fairness to them as well, work starts at Anfield tomorrow on increasing the capacity.

But we seriously need to spend a ****load on a world class centre forward and centre back. Forget about the money already spent, that's just net spend on the back of the Suarez sake. I think it's about twenty odd million we've spent.

Look at Man U. They are trying to buy their way back into the top four. We need to fork out on a couple of world class stars and fine, keep up the the potential star spotting if you want. But buy for now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

monkey9 wrote: »
    In a way, I admire FSG's stance on their financial outlook and in fairness to them as well, work starts at Anfield tomorrow on increasing the capacity.

But we seriously need to spend a ****load on a world class centre forward and centre back. Forget about the money already spent, that's just net spend on the back of the Suarez sake. I think it's about twenty odd million we've spent.

Look at Man U. They are trying to buy their way back into the top four. We need to fork out on a couple of world class stars and fine, keep up the the potential star spotting if you want. But buy for now as well.

Jesus christ... we don't have the money they do!! How can people not get this... we can't afford the wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

You know your club is in pieces when your team celebrates coming 4th in the league like they have won it .
    If that was BR I'm sure he would have ripped into the players publicly or said he wasn't happy to see them be happy to come 4th that he was aiming higher .
    So for you to say arsenal have higher ambitions is a joke of a statement the day your players celebrated coming 4th is the day your club fell apart .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Jesus christ... we don't have the money they do!! How can people not get this... we can't afford the wages.

But we can afford to spunk away god knows how much on players that can barely get a place on the bench?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement