Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Augmerson wrote: »
    I've said it before, he should have never been signed, but when we had him Rafa should have made the most of him and not shunted him out in January. If I recall that season we were just down to Torres, Kuyt and Babel as our main strikers with N'Gog as backup (!). After he was loaned back to Spurs we had draws against Man City and lost to Boro in which Keane would have been a useful asset.

At the same time, lads have said to me, that while Keane was with us, he played against Fulham (0-0), West Ham (0-0), Stoke (0-0), Aston Villa (0-0) and had he scored in either of those and won us the match we would have won the title in the long run.

I don't think that's very fair though as he was a sub in (I think) all of those games and Gerrard was playing in his role at the time (I also think).

Gas how one set of standards apply to Keane yet not to some of the other dross we have signed up top recently.

Keane got 7 goals and 5 assists in his 4 and a half months with us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

A goal or two in either of those games and how different things could have been for Keane and LFC

I think he missed one or two sitters and Rafa had enough. I think it was poor man management by Rafa, something he has done on a few occasions with other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

e.r wrote: »
    Totallly agree, never forgave benitez after that show of stubbornness. Imo cost us the league that season

As one of the biggest Rafa fanboys in the world, dumping Keane like he did irked me something special. Keane was doing okay and growing into it. He would have been the option we were crying out for the following season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We need to bring in another striker. Its rumoured that Sunderland are still interested in Boirini. If we could get £9-£10m for him we may have something to play with.

That aside we are scraping the barrel in my opinion looking for options. Balotelli and Sturridge need to be got back fit as quickly as possible and play the two of them up front together when they are.
    If we we getting someone from the MLS we would be better off getting Obafemi Martins. We nned a quick striker. Gameiro would also be a better option as he is behind Bacca at Sevilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

shamrock55 wrote: »
    What do people think of bolassi from palace, id love to see him with us

I suppose it depends on what the asking price is,it would need to be fairly cheap, no doubt he looks good but it's a bit of a flavour of the month type thing for me, he'd naturally go to complete sh1t and bottle it playing for Liverpool like many have before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ardent wrote: »
    Dunno about you guys but the news of Man City's new academy and training complex, and seeing it in all its glory on the news this morning, is more depressing than the current state of affairs at LFC.

Believe me it's not. Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gafferino wrote: »
    Well Utd havent played yet and what is a 4pt gap now could be a 7pt gap tonight and a 10pt gap next weekend.

Or it could be a 1pt gap next Monday swings and roundabouts at this time of the season with games coming thick and fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I suppose it depends on what the asking price is,it would need to be fairly cheap, no doubt he looks good but it's a bit of a flavour of the month type thing for me, he'd naturally go to complete sh1t and bottle it playing for Liverpool like many have before him.

Id rather our transfer policy would shift to signing players who have been proven in top level competitions and have played at top clubs, not some overrated in form premier league player which we always seem to sign who fails miserably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bolasie shouldn't even be in the club's thinking if it's actually serious about competing.

give me a break.

he's done fúck all to merit a big move.

noodler wrote: »
    Gas how one set of standards apply to Keane yet not to some of the other dross we have signed up top recently.

Keane got 7 goals and 5 assists in his 4 and a half months with us.

I just think, considering Keane's form the previous year when he and Berbatov were electric and one of the best striking partnerships of that season, that Keane could have done a lot better for us. He played 28 games and scored 7 which is a poor return really. The 5 league goals were against WBA, Bolton (not great opposition) and Arsenal in the league and the 2 goals against Aletico Madrid and PSV in the CL.

I'll just focus on the season before in the league with Spurs. The season before Keane had 15 in the league. He got goals against Bolton, Villa, Liverpool (twice!) Newcastle, Blackburn, Birmingham, Fulham, Sunderland, Sunderland, Derby, Man City, Chelsea and Reading.

I know it seems like I'm just spewing up factoids and numbers and stats but Keane clearly had Premier League ability. I'm not saying Keane should have gotten a better deal because he was Irish and I'm Irish - I don't think he should have been signed in the first place. But while we had him we should have made the most of him. And not just for that season but the next.

4 and a half months wasn't enough time to make an impact. I don't think he was dross, just really short on confidence, not on ability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Keane/Benetiz situation is quite similar to the Borini/rodgers one. Manager not wanting a player and thus refusing to give him a fair chance to turn prove him wrong.

The Keane/Benetiz situation is quite similar to the Borini/rodgers one. Manager not wanting a player and thus refusing to give him a fair chance to turn prove him wrong.
    He was a Rodgers signing but he has realised he isn't good enough & now won't give him a chance. Rodgers treatment of Borini is appalling tbh.

MD1990 wrote: »
    He was a Rodgers signing but he has realised he isn't good enough & now won't give him a chance. Rodgers treatment of Borini is appalling tbh.

And Keane was signed under Benetiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Borini is,was, and never will be fit to lace up Keane's boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its not even close, Keane was a proven international the other is a bottom of the league standard player at best. We would have won the league if we retained Keane that season and Rafa wasn't stubborn and played him, our other option after Torres was Ngog!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rob316 wrote: »
    Its not even close, Keane was a proven international the other is a bottom of the league standard player at best. We would have won the league if we retained Keane that season and Rafa wasn't stubborn and played him, our other option after Torres was Ngog!

Ridiculous revisionism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5starpool wrote: »
    Ridiculous revisionism.

Well, how about this for revisionism: I reckon we'd have finished top four the next season if Keane had been kept around.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, how about this for revisionism: I reckon we'd have finished top four the next season if Keane had been kept around.

That's conjecture and totally ignoring all the other things going on at the club that season.

5starpool wrote: »
    That's conjecture and totally ignoring all the other things going on at the club that season.

Well hello Mr. Hutz

tumblr_llmh9iZKyi1qfhb81o1_500.jpg

• Advertisement

I just think, considering Keane's form the previous year when he and Berbatov were electric and one of the best striking partnerships of that season, that Keane could have done a lot better for us. He played 28 games and scored 7 which is a poor return really. The 5 league goals were against WBA, Bolton (not great opposition) and Arsenal in the league and the 2 goals against Aletico Madrid and PSV in the CL.

I'll just focus on the season before in the league with Spurs. The season before Keane had 15 in the league. He got goals against Bolton, Villa, Liverpool (twice!) Newcastle, Blackburn, Birmingham, Fulham, Sunderland, Sunderland, Derby, Man City, Chelsea and Reading.

I know it seems like I'm just spewing up factoids and numbers and stats but Keane clearly had Premier League ability. I'm not saying Keane should have gotten a better deal because he was Irish and I'm Irish - I don't think he should have been signed in the first place. But while we had him we should have made the most of him. And not just for that season but the next.

4 and a half months wasn't enough time to make an impact. I don't think he was dross, just really short on confidence, not on ability.

Is that 15 goals in the same period or in the entire season?

I think if you start saying some of his goals weren't against great Premier League teams then everything starts falling apart.

We don't play the Top Four every week...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

ebbsy wrote: »

I dont think he's comparing the players, more the "situation" is relatively the same.

The thing with rodgers is he worked with Borini before so he knew first hand what he was getting. How is it possible to make a f*ck up like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So does Rodgers drop Lambert for the next three huge games?

Does he bring a player back into the first team he clearly doesn't have any time for in Borini?

Most of us complained that he needed to drop Gerrard becasue of his age and he couldn't play 3 games in a week now Rodgers has to rely on Lambert to play 6 games in a row if he doesn't drop him.

I really do think these next 3 games Basel, Utd & Arsenal could cost Rodgers his job if we lose them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So does Rodgers drop Lambert for the next three huge games?

Does he bring a player back into the first team he clearly doesn't have any time for in Borini?

Most of us complained that he needed to drop Gerrard becasue of his age and he couldn't play 3 games in a week now Rodgers has to rely on Lambert to play 6 games in a row if he doesn't drop him.

I really do think these next 3 games Basel, Utd & Arsenal could cost Rodgers his job if we lose them.

Lambert is scoring so he should play. Right now that's the only requirement that is important in who yis play there I think. Let the players behind him worry about the general play and just get him into the box to finish chances would be my approach to the current situation. He's a somewhat reliable goalscorer and that's more than can be said for any of the other options at Liverpool atm.

ebbsy wrote: »
    rob316 wrote: »

When did I ever compare the players? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭e.r

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't we win 11 and draw 1 from our last 12 that season after Keane was sold.

Always find that a lazy argument.

Two draws after he was sold, plus how many did we have while sitting on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

SlickRic wrote: »
    I didn't miss one MOTD last season.

I've watched maximum 5 this season.

I don't like my apathy towards the team right now.

Similar situation except my excuse is im up to my bollix in work, mid move to new gaff and new bird on the go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

e.r wrote: »
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't we win 11 and draw 1 from our last 12 that season after Keane was sold.

Always find that a lazy argument.

Two draws after he was sold, plus how many did we have while sitting on the bench.

The lads were galvanized, I heard that the pre game chant was " do it for Robbie "

I could see Rodgers doing a Spain on it and not playing a striker in some of the next games.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

We dropped 7 points in the league after selling Keane. Anyone that thinks Keane would of helped win us win the league is deluded. We could of brought in Messi and we still weren't catching United unless the season was extended for another 6 games.

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    We dropped 7 points in the league after selling Keane. Anyone that thinks Keane would of helped win us win the league is deluded. We could of brought in Messi and we still weren't catching United unless the season was extended for another 6 games.

Well I follow Liverpool so of course I'm deluded.

• Advertisement

DaveSuarez wrote: »

Or if he has helped turn those draws into wins?

Or if he had been played in the 2-2 with Hull before Xmas?

Yay! "Deluded" - the buzz word of the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

This could mean anything but if there's another injury setback I'll cry.

-23i5srb.png

-23i5srb.png

Or is he set for a surprise comeback.

Liam O wrote: »
    Lambert is scoring so he should play. Right now that's the only requirement that is important in who yis play there I think. Let the players behind him worry about the general play and just get him into the box to finish chances would be my approach to the current situation. He's a somewhat reliable goalscorer and that's more than can be said for any of the other options at Liverpool atm.
    He hasn't scored in 3 games. He has done well last few weeks but I would start Borini against Basle as Lambert has been overplayed last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Re Benteke.

He would be a very good capture for us but that would mean some swallowing of pride by whoever the f**k signs players these days. We would also have to sell first i'd imagine.

Or is he set for a surprise comeback.

One or the other, maybe him returning against United is "just supposed to happen"

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

noodler wrote: »
    Or if he has helped turn those draws into wins?

Or if he had been played in the 2-2 with Hull before Xmas?

Yay! "Deluded" - the buzz word of the day!

Or maybe he would of turned this draws into losses seeing as we would of had to change our best formation around to accommodate him or else play him on the left where he was pretty ineffective.

Basel have won their last 5 league matches.

So who is doing the match thread?

Basel have won their last 5 league matches.

So who is doing the match thread?

Let's just take inspiration from Dortmund, 14th in the league but top of their group :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

-23i5srb.png

Maybe he's pregnant.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Maybe he's pregnant.

Sterling is the father.

Sterling is the father.

Ah he's 20 now, he's past having kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the Keane thing, you'll drive yourselves nuts thinking of the "what if's".

The fact is, if Keane had played in any of those games, every single thing about them from the second he was on the field would have been different. Maybe some draws would have turned into wins, maybe some wins would have turned into draws.

For instance that game against Portsmouth, when Kuyt came on and saved the day, Keane might well have been the choice instead if he was there. Who's to say he'd have had the same effect?

All we know is things would have been different, can't say whether it would have been good or bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

brevity wrote: »

Interested to hear who the signings he was unhappy about are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would be extremely suspect of those kinds of tweets to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

We should have signed Christian Eriksen before Spurs got to him. Still can't believe we weren't in for him.

Ashley Williams, Christian Eriksen & Wilfried Bony none have pace so I'm guessing Rodgers was going to change the system again this season to suit those players if he wanted them.

So are we playing closer to how he wanted to play this season than any of us knew.

Spurs would never have sold us Eriksen anyway I would guess.

If Rodgers really wanted those players I would guess he really wasn't interested in Sanchez at all then as he would have suited the style we played last season not the style of play those players bring to the team.

Who's this Mike Bernard guy?

Never heard of him.

Is he anything to the dog or supermarket outlet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Interested to hear who the signings he was unhappy about are?

Balotelli, Markovic, Lallana, Can, Assaidi, Sahin, Aspas.

His unhappiness would hold more weight with me if his chosen ones had performed any better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement