Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Missing the fecking point arent you?

I explained he doesnt have the same skill but fits the bill better than Lambert and Balotelli in terms of how the team plays (he would give the others space and time to play).

For me he would have been a better 'quick fix' and squad player than feckin Lambert and Balotelli.

I'm not suggesting he would be preferable.to Bemzema or comparable.quality but he would work well for the team as a fighter up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Missing the fecking point arent you?

I explained he doesnt have the same skill but fits the bill better than Lambert and Balotelli in terms of how the team plays (he would give the others space and time to play).

For me he would have been a better 'quick fix' and squad player than feckin Lambert and Balotelli.

I'm not suggesting he would be preferable.to Bemzema or comparable.quality but he would work well for the team as a fighter up front.

We should never at looking for strikers who are unlikely to even manage a 1 in 3 ratio. Hard working players are all well and good, but LFC need to be buying centre forwards who at least offer a reasonable hope of goals.

Don't get me wrong. I like, and have a lot of respect for, Shane Long. But he just doesn't score goals. Effort alone isn't enough. Would get just as much if we played Joe Allen, Emre Can or Jordan Henderson up front. If fact, I'd fancy Henderson to score more than Long playing as a striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Jesus. Imagine this place if ye signed Shane ****ing long to replace the best player in the leauge just because he works hard. Would have been better off signing Welbeck for 50 million.

At least Balotelli had a reputation of playing in big games and international tournamentsz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    We're not scoring goals, and some of the suggestions to fix our problems from today are:
    Jermaine Defoe
    Robbie Keane
    Shane Long.

I can present myriad facts in the defence of said Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I have been trying to find someone to give me odds the last few weeks that Shane Long won't score another PL goal this season. He doesn't do them. Why would we pay that money on a striker that doesn't score goals. And a history of not scoring goals. At least Balotelli had some sort of record when we signed him.

You can#t sign a striker simply as the basis that he works hard - a striker scores & assists goals.

Walters could do a job for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Walters could do a job for us

No, just.... no :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Why do we always seem to end up with no major striker in the middle of nearly every second season ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Vicxas wrote: »
    No, just.... no :(

He does a job every week for Stoke, for Ireland too.

That said, I'd have ranked Lamvbert ahead of him technically last season.

I really think we need to just play two up front and see how much that solves before deciding on replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    We're not scoring goals, and some of the suggestions to fix our problems from today are:
    Jermaine Defoe
    Robbie Keane
    Shane Long.

Two proven goalscorers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Robbie Keane is a great shout

noodler wrote: »
    He does a job every week for Stoke, for Ireland too.

That said, I'd have ranked Lamvbert ahead of him technically last season.

I really think we need to just play two up front and see how much that solves before deciding on replacements.

I completely agree that we need 2 up front, but I think that Walters is at Stoke for a reason, he suits their style to a tee.

On that, I watched Southampton and Utd last night, and Clyne is some player. Would love to have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Now if only we had a hard working striker in the squad, maybe not the best goal scorer, but impressive engine to hassle the opposition.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Now if only we had a hard working striker in the squad, maybe not the best goal scorer, but impressive engine to hassle the opposition.

Yeah, I think Borini could take some of the heat of Lambert and Sterling.

Sterling isn't much cop in a team that sits deep and has to break down numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Robbie Keane, Shane Long, John f**king Walters?? Go back to bed fellas

• Advertisement

Messi, Neymar or Ronaldo maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Keaneistheman?
    Longistheman?
    Waltersistheman?

Wait till next season, Origiistheman!

Sorted;)

Lacazette is the man we want. 13 goals & 5 assists in 17 games this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

There is a fairly large middle ground between Long and Ronaldo..perhaps we could look there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

FitzShane wrote: »
    Lacazette is the man we want. 13 goals & 5 assists in 17 games this year.

We missed our chance to get him, hes hot property now and one of my favourite players. When we were linked to him in the summer i was delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Well I suppose if you break it down then Suarez is: A hard worker, physically strong, quick, a constant nuisance for defenders and he's also of the most gifted footballers of his generation.

Shane Long is all of those things bar one.

Just hasn't got the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I don't know what's worse,
    The fact that you all want mid-table strikers, or the fact that we will inevitably sign one in January. :(

brevity wrote: »
    There is a fairly large middle ground between Long and Ronaldo..perhaps we could look there?

We can try.

But such middle ground existed all summer long when we had 115m to spend and guaranteed CL football to offer and the best we came up with was Balotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Do yous lads think not signing Remy was a mistake? I think he'd have been great for yous. If Chelsea were happy to sign him there couldn't have been too much wrong with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Well I suppose if you break it down then Suarez is: A hard worker, physically strong, quick, a constant nuisance for defenders and he's also of the most gifted footballers of his generation.

Shane Long is all of those things bar one.

Just hasn't got the pace.

So you're saying that Long is one of the most gifted footballers of his generation? :pac::D:P

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Do yous lads think not signing Remy was a mistake? I think he'd have been great for yous. If Chelsea were happy to sign him there couldn't have been too much wrong with him.

My guess is that the club thought, given his heart condition, that he would not be able to last the physicality of being a main striker playing 90 mins 2-3 times a week. And his wage demands. He has only played 90 mins once for Chelsea and is playing 15 mins every second game the rest of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Who left the crazy on last night? Last to bed turns it off.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Who left the crazy on last night? Last to bed turns it off.

I guess they thought it would burn off, like a gas fire...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Desperation does some funny things to people it seems.

noodler wrote: »
    We can try.

But such middle ground existed all summer long when we had 115m to spend and guaranteed CL football to offer and the best we came up with was Balotelli.

I know we were in for Sanchez and fair enough he went to arsenal, I dont know why we didn't try to stay in and around that level...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

I know we were in for Sanchez and fair enough he went to arsenal, I dont know why we didn't try to stay in and around that level...

Exactly ... it's like browsing in M&S but eventually purchasing in Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

RayCon wrote: »
    Exactly ... it's like browsing in M&S but eventually purchasing in Lidl.
    Yeah, but the shops were closing soon and we spotted a 'bargain', but when we got it home we realised it just doesn't fit and we'd lost the receipt so can't return it... best to sell on ebay as soon as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭benny79

I think our biggest failings was doing a spurs and buying too many players!! instead of buying 2, max 3 quality world classes players in the Sanchez bracket.

And the worse thing about it was that BR came out and said he wasn't doing a spurs on it! and thats what exactly happened!

United have been doing this for years and is 1 of the reasons IMO why they are so successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    Desperation does some funny things to people it seems.

Makes them sign Andy Carroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So you're saying that Long is one of the most gifted footballers of his generation? :pac::D:P

Exactly what I'm saying.

But in a serious manner anyone suggesting Long because he's similar to Suarez is insane.

It's something I'd put under the "apart from that Mrs. Lincoln how did you enjoy the show?" category.

I.E They're similar in a few things except for footballing ability. Which is fairly important in this game.

Just another thing, everyone saying Liverpool have to buy a striker in Jaunary because Sturridge is injured and Origi won't be there until next season etc.

Is that not very short term thinking? Like if Liverpool go and blow 20m on a striker then will it not just mean they have too many strikers then when all the boys get back playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Exactly what I'm saying.

But in a serious manner anyone suggesting Long because he's similar to Suarez is insane.

It's something I'd put under the "apart from that Mrs. Lincoln how did you enjoy the show?" category.

I.E They're similar in a few things except for footballing ability. Which is fairly important in this game.

Just another thing, everyone saying Liverpool have to buy a striker in Jaunary because Sturridge is injured and Origi won't be there until next season etc.

Is that not very short term thinking? Like if Liverpool go and blow 20m on a striker then will it not just mean they have too many strikers then when all the boys get back playing?

Origi, Sturridge, New Striker

I would like us to be in for someone exactly like Remy who can do the "wide forward" thing if required

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Was there anyone else available at that level? Sanchez wasn't wanted at Barca which was the only reason we thought we had a snowballs chance. Unless there was another of his ilk unhappy at his current club we'd have had to offer ridiculous wages to tempt them. In fairness that's what we probably should be doing but FSG have proven unwilling to break our wage structure and pay someone that much straight out of the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Rodgers wouldn't know a decent striker if one hit him in the face...

Liverpool had the chance of signing Remy, Bony and Benteke but chose Balotelli - a problem child who's only experience in the Premier League was in a blue City shirt where he didn't have to take two steps in any direction to receive world class support.

Liverpool don't have a Yaya Toure or David Silva feeding the front line nor do they have a Sergio Aguero to knock them in left, right and centre to take the pressure of Balotelli when he throws his toys out of the pram.

I think Pool will need a miracle to beat Basel tonight and getting into the Europa will only distract the club for the next couple of months. If I was a betting man I'd say Liverpool will need to go back to the drawing board because this season is turning into an absolute shambles. The club, for all it's history, cannot attract the best talent anymore. Talks of Robbie Keane, Shane Long....pfft; I'm not sure if it's the Irish being sentimental but it's worrying these are seen as viable alternatives. The same with management - Gary Monk...?! Where has the vision gone? Where has the ambition disappeared to?

It's like the club has well and truly accepted it will never be decent again and they're just settling for mediocrity.

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Yes a big mistake he was the ideal signing. For January Danny ings would be a good option he is out of contract at the end of the season and you would get him for less than 5 million. He is young with a great attitude and can score goals. With having a soft spot for burnley due to my dad I'd rank him at a similar level to Jay rodriguez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dayum, you are a real trier aren't you? :p

Dayum, you are a real trier aren't you? :p

At least he's doing the rounds, almost made me feel sorry for the Arsenal fans.

Almost.

Was there anyone else available at that level? Sanchez wasn't wanted at Barca which was the only reason we thought we had a snowballs chance. Unless there was another of his ilk unhappy at his current club we'd have had to offer ridiculous wages to tempt them. In fairness that's what we probably should be doing but FSG have proven unwilling to break our wage structure and pay someone that much straight out of the gate.

Our wage structure would have been a problem alright but if we could have made an exception then, and some will scoff or choke on their croissant at this, we should have gone all out for Benzema or Ibrahimovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes a big mistake he was the ideal signing. For January Danny ings would be a good option he is out of contract at the end of the season and you would get him for less than 5 million. He is young with a great attitude and can score goals. With having a soft spot for burnley due to my dad I'd rank him at a similar level to Jay rodriguez.

He has been linked a good bit in the past.

Is he actually that good? I was surprised he was that young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I said it before, Mandzukic was leaving Bayern and maybe could have been got for bigger wages than AM were offering him. Maybe Pool were in for him and he said no, but there wasn't much in the press linking him.

• Advertisement

Someone mentioned it recently that Atletico Madrid seem to lose a star player every year but are able to invest correctly and get quality replacements. Why is it so difficult for us?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Someone mentioned it recently that Atletico Madrid seem to lose a star player every year but are able to invest correctly and get quality replacements. Why is it so difficult for us?

Aside from anything else, Atletico often don't own a lot of their players, they use the 3rd party ownership thing in a lot of cases (Costa for example) so this is perhaps why they seems to get players they can't afford for a club with such debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Because Diego Simeone knows what he's doing?

5starpool wrote: »
    Aside from anything else, Atletico often don't own a lot of their players, they use the 3rd party ownership thing in a lot of cases (Costa for example) so this is perhaps why they seems to get players they can't afford for a club with such debt.

Ah, fair enough.

We did have the money this season though...its just so bloody frustrating.

Ah, fair enough.

We did have the money this season though...its just so bloody frustrating.

It's not a money thing though, over past seasons the likes of Swansea, Southampton, and Newcastle have done a good job scouting players who have adapted to the league. We've resorted to buying an overrated player from Serie A, the retirement home of the footballing world.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement