Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Random thought of the day. Marković would be an interesting option to try up front. He has pace, power and running ability. He has the physical presence to play against two centre halfs and would certainly offer a threat on the shoulder. I can see the players around him linking up much better than with Lambert. I've often thought from the little I've seen of him that he reminds me in some ways of a young raw Torres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

On a day like today there is one man we should look to for inspiration

djimi.jpg

If he can win a CL medal anyone can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

naughtb4 wrote: »
    He has been linked a good bit in the past.

Is he actually that good? I was surprised he was that young

I wouldnt be happy with him starting every week. However he is a step up from lambert and borini. He has the potential to improve but is already a decent player. He would also be attainable and is very mobile so would be a good option if rodgers gets us back playing the way we used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Random thought of the day. Marković would be an interesting option to try up front. He has pace, power and running ability. He has the physical presence to play against two centre halfs and would certainly offer a threat on the shoulder. I can see the players around him linking up much better than with Lambert. I've often thought from the little I've seen of him that he reminds me in some ways of a young raw Torres.

6fe.jpg

Ah he does have a bit of a frame for a 20 year old kid. Maybe physical presence is a bit much.

I haven't seen anything before he joined Liverpool but watching random YouTube videos his best work always seems to come through the middle. First one below when I type in his name, literally every clip is him in the box on the end of things or running at the heart of a defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Markovic has looked more like Borini than Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

MD1990 wrote: »

He hasnt been given much time, and was injured the first few weeks of the season.

I think we should be changing him for Sterling in matches, or Hendo.

Borini and Markovic in a race would be fun :rolleyes: I'm talking about Torres in his early days. It was very clear early Borini was limited in his ceiling as a player, Markovic has the base attributes to be anything. The below video shows more of him. What I find incredible that for a supposed wide player he puts in a total of one cross in both videos. All his good play comes again through the centre.

Vicxas wrote: »
    He hasnt been given much time, and was injured the first few weeks of the season.

I think we should be changing him for Sterling in matches, or Hendo.
    When he has played he's been very poor . I know he's young but it doesn't look like a super talent that he was hyped up to be. Best to start vs Bournemouth to try & regain some confidence. My gut feeling in the summer was that Markovic,Lallana & Lambert were poor buys. I did think Lovren was a very good signing though:o. No point in posting Youtube compilations. Every player has one where they look great. Markovic does have pace but in the PL players are probably faster & he hasn't shown it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC

Confirmed #LFC U19s team to face FC Basel: Fulton, Whelan, Hart, Cleary, Maguire, Rossiter, Canos, Chirivella, Sinclair, Kent, Ojo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

With Markovic, I think there are 3 problems
    1. He needs to learn about pressing and the defensive side of the game. From what I have seen of him (very little) he was not very defensive minded
    2. He needs to learn about are attacking style, which is all over the place at the moment without Sturridge and Mario being injured. In an ideal world with fast paced, interchanging, counter style we played last year, he would be more suitable. Playing 'off' Lambert now is a different way to play, looking for knockdowns or balls into his feet while in motion is something newish to him I would think. Maybe I'm wrong on this.
    3. He needs to figure out how to approach the more physical defenders, it looks like there is a bit of a fear of being hit to hard about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Prior notification: I will career into a wild negative rage spiral loop if we don't progress tonight. Not qualifying from this group would be utterly unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC

Confirmed #LFC U19s team to face FC Basel: Fulton, Whelan, Hart, Cleary, Maguire, Rossiter, Canos, Chirivella, Sinclair, Kent, Ojo.

So no Ojo in the first team squad, what about Phillips? Jordan Williams?
    I assume if we were going to bring over a CM, it would have been Rossiter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Ah he does have a bit of a frame for a 20 year old kid. Maybe physical presence is a bit much.

I haven't seen anything before he joined Liverpool but watching random YouTube videos his best work always seems to come through the middle. First one below when I type in his name, literally every clip is him in the box on the end of things or running at the heart of a defense.

He just doesn't strike me as a physical player at all plus he also seems to lack bottle. I think there is something there with the lad, but i don't think he's has the character just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Prior notification: I will career into a wild negative rage spiral loop if we don't progress tonight. Not qualifying from this group would be utterly unacceptable.

I don't think you'll be alone if that happens.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Appreciate the heads-up! :D

No point in posting Youtube compilations. Every player has one where they look great. Markovic does have pace but in the PL players are probably faster & he hasn't shown it yet.

I'm not posting to show his ability as a player but to show how skewed his highlights are towards centre forward/in the hole plays. It suggest almost all of his productive stuff is done in those areas. I think his cameo at Sunderland also suggested as much where he again looked his most dangerous running at the centre or in the box on the end of things. Questioning his pace is a little weird. It's the one thing he has shown, Real Madrid game he showed it in abundance. I just think given we have such limited options that giving him a go at centre forward would be a idea. Reading up since the original post he seems to have played the role at previous clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Half of that scout-nation video of Markovic is taken up with him running with the ball and losing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Match thread this evening will be a disaster zone. Well most evenings but especially tonight I reckon.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Half of that scout-nation video of Markovic is taken up with him running with the ball and losing it.

Yeah that is generally what 17/18 year olds with pace who are developing do. Lots of people would have shipped Sterling out of Liverpool at one point. Better judges though who have seen these players develop know what they can end up being based on how they perform at that level relative to other players their age. Young players in that kind of mold are going to requires bundles of patience due to them finding themselves as players. Ideally you would like to see that development elsewhere but the position Liverpool find themselves in is they either buy and develope these players themselves or get priced out later on in their careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Was there anyone else available at that level?

What exactly does available mean? I know it's a cliche but with a small handful of exceptions pretty much every player is available given the right amount of cash waved in their club's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Milkers wrote: »
    What exactly does available mean? I know it's a cliche but with a small handful of exceptions pretty much every player is available given the right amount of cash waved in their club's face.

That makes very few top quality players available to us.

Yes, but there are LOTS of clubs with the same wads...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I'm well aware of that, said as much in the unquoted portion of my post. Like I said then, seeing as tho FSG seem unwilling to spunk up Rooney wages before someone has kicked a ball in anger for us, available is someone who is surplus to requirements or is unhappy at their current club, and thus a non extortionate deal can be struck.

Vicxas wrote: »
    No, just.... no :(

Aren't we playing link the Irish striker game??

Aldo making a comeback

• Advertisement

Cleary makes it 2-0 just as I went to watch it on a stream. Were through if we don't concede.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Markovic hasn't played a whole pile, but let's be honest here, has he actually done anything to deserve more game time? My thoughts would be give him chances in the cup games we have coming.

Pickel in a pickle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

ooooh GOAL!!!! for the young lads!

Sinclair makes it 3-0. Hopefully it will inspire the 1st team tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Aren't we playing link the Irish striker game??

Aldo making a comeback

Anything to be said for John Aldridge ;)

So Liverpool will have an interest in the Champions League after Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Think the young lads could lend the first team a goal?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I haven't been watching the youth team play, but the front 6 in that team is very exciting. Hopefully at least 1 of them can actually make a breakthrough in the way that Sterling has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sinclair makes it 3-0. Hopefully it will inspire the 1st team tonight.
    5starpool wrote: »
    I haven't been watching the youth team play, but the front 6 in that team is very exciting. Hopefully at least 1 of them can actually make a breakthrough in the way that Sterling has.

On this trend - how's Sinclair been coming along - he looked a real prospect when he first arrived but I haven't seen much of him since - seems a Sterling / Ibe style player.

I'd imagine he's a player who'll see loan time before too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Some on here might have use for this...not long left though.

Official Liverpool FC Football Records https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1780973373/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_04YHub1QNTC3W

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I found myself looking at a pizza menu online earlier and then entirely dismissed the idea from my mind.

But still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Think the young lads could lend the first team a goal?

Or if failing that, a goalkeeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

B31xiROCEAAvEiR.jpg

**** off Xabi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If there is any player I would love to come back one day and manage the club!

It's Alonso.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ah alonso what a player. Our friends from the other thread would've told you back then he wouldn't have made one of those infamous combined teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lovren in, kolo out with an injury. Lets see how lovren does with lucas in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Disgraceful that Borini isn't in the squad again. What the fcuking hell is Rodgers thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Markovic hasn't played a whole pile, but let's be honest here, has he actually done anything to deserve more game time? My thoughts would be give him chances in the cup games we have coming.

Honestly, I think his pace alone makes him a worthwhile option.

Aside from Sterling, we offer so little creativity running in behind most games, that even having a guy who could do that, would at least give the opposition defenders something to think about.

Even if he didn't receive the ball, just having a fast player making runs pulls the defenders formation around. We make it all too easy on them, especially whenever Sterling goes off.

I'm just gonna reiterate my stance on him though - it's pointless judging him on a few months in a new country in a rotten team, rather than the ability he displayed to be one of the shortlisted best young players in the world. He obviously has the ability. Let him settle. I'd bet that even in the second half of the season this year he'll show a lot more, and more again next year.

Whether we should have spent that money on a kid who'd take time (and this was always going to be the case), over a seasoned pro is obviously up for debate, but that's got nought to do with the kid and his abilities himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Augmerson wrote: »
    I found myself looking at a pizza menu online earlier and then entirely dismissed the idea from my mind.

But still.
    You must be wasting away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liverpool's XI: Mignolet, Johnson, Enrique, Lovren, Skrtel, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Sterling, Lambert.

Substitutes: Jones, Sakho, Moreno, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic.

From that, it looks like it's a case of remaining solid for the first 60 minutes and then trying to nick a winner at the end with our very attacking bench - except that the one striker in the squad will be absolutely shattered by that point :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Normally I try not to second guess someone who knows a hell of a lot more about football than I ever will. But not having our only other fit striker on the bench, in a game where we *have* to score, seems very strange to me...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I wonder what Liverpool's style of play or tactical approach will be for this crucial game.Lately it seems to be a "hybrid",exploiting the pace and trickery of Sterling or else hoofing "hail mary's"in the direction of Lambert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Liverpool's XI: Mignolet, Johnson, Enrique, Lovren, Skrtel, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Sterling, Lambert.

Substitutes: Jones, Sakho, Moreno, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic.

From that, it looks like it's a case of remaining solid for the first 60 minutes and then trying to nick a winner at the end with our very attacking bench - except that the one striker in the squad will be absolutely shattered by that point :-/

Diamond midfield, Gerrard CAM with Sterling and Lambert up top, perhaps?

No Borini is absolute madness. If its 0-0 with 10 minutes to go, I'd be screaming for him, and he's not even on the bench. That could be an unforgivable decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement