Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

On the plus side I think Lovren done ok last night, maybe not justifying his fee but certainly looked more assured.

I actually thought the opposite, thought he looked very shaky at times

On the plus side I think Lovren done ok last night, maybe not justifying his fee but certainly looked more assured.

Back 4 benefits from Lucas' endeavours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

slingerz wrote: »
    Liverpool linked with bids for Mirallas, Tiote and either Cech or Begovic seeing as the German u21 doesnt want to move to Anfield.

I think Mirallas, Tiote and either of those keepers would be good additions. Cant see Everton selling although Mirallas contract is expiring and cant see Chelsea wanting to see Cech to us either

Could never understand why we signed Mignolet over Begovic at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Do people think Begovic will be excellent with the ball at his feet and playing it out from the back? Although, I suppose he has good experience doing it with Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Do people think Begovic will be excellent with the ball at his feet and playing it out from the back? Although, I suppose he has good experience doing it with Stoke.

I'd expect any professional footballer to be able to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I will always give Rodgers credit for last season as the games we won were as much down to tactics as well as Suarez scoring and creating.

However last season was the perfect condition with no mid week games he pretty much was able to consistently put out the same starting 11 bar a change here and there. Rodgers didn't have the headache of being able to manage a squad.

The amount of goals we conceded last season was criminal though and masked by the amount of goals scored.
    We should not have been conceding 3 goals to Cardiff, 3 goals to Crystal Palace, 3 goals to Hull City, 3 goals to Swansea.

Even while doing well last season people here were still discussing the need for a defensive coach. The goal conceded last night was soft.
    Frei should never had had the time on the ball that he did outside the box and then to play and have the ball returned for a shot without one tackle being made on him.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I'd expect any professional footballer to be able to do this.

Time to bring your expectations closer to reality.

Time to bring your expectations closer to reality.

You don't think someone who plays football day in and day out should be able to pass the ball to the closest free player from their team?

You don't think someone who plays football day in and day out should be able to pass the ball to the closest free player from their team?

Yea, but Begovic can't do that either. In fact lots of world class players struggle with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I actually thought the opposite, thought he looked very shaky at times

he looked ok. but you could see him getting frustrated due to us getting hardly any decisions in our favour yet anytime any Basel player went over it was a free kick straight away.

We were poo ryes adn teh team should have been playing with the same urgency the last few minutes with ten men like that the whole 90. It's teh kind of pace we played with for most of last season and teams couldn't cope with it. Why have we lost this pace/urgency to go at teams use what pacy midfielders we have bought in during the summer. Most players who were with us last seaon didn't just lose that pace over night, yes Suarez helped a lot but players still had to play it up to him, we were lightening quick last year on the counter, this year we lead out from the back at a snails pace.

Skrtel up front as a target was an odd choice I hope everyone pointed out to BR should never have happened adn never happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/176021-gerrard-it-didn-t-come-down-to-basel

Gerrard was asked whether he felt Liverpool would be able to secure a return to next season's Champions League competition by clinching a top-four finish.

"We'll have to wait and see," the No.8 replied. "I think what is crucial is that we get our main striker [Daniel Sturridge] back who is capable of getting the goals to get us into the top four.

"We need to get Mario Balotelli back firing as well. If we can get goals in the team it gives us a better chance.

"But at the moment it's a bit of a rollercoaster. It's tough but take nothing away from the lads that are here slogging away every week. Rickie Lambert has ran himself into the ground in the last five games.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Anyone know when the draw for the Europa league fixture is?

Yea, but Begovic can't do that either.

Neither could Reina, and he was considered good at it.

I wasn't really talking about Begovic, just keepers in general. I know growing up the sh*te person gets stuck in goal but surely by the time you get to a professional level you have picked up some degree of competency with the ball at your feet so that you don't look like a deer in headlights every time the ball is passed back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Buying this player or that player is only throwing more patches at the multitude of leaks. The prob is we are not a team blame manager blame players I don't care but I have seen local football teams with better awareness of their own players positions and how to play the game. And this has been going on before Rodgers S**t or bust time methinks. I would love to see all summer signings play against UTD that's why we spent so much money on them so let them play. Stand up and be counted time.

Neither could Reina, and he was considered good at it.

I wasn't really talking about Begovic, just keepers in general. I know growing up the sh*te person gets stuck in goal but surely by the time you get to a professional level you have picked up some degree of competency with the ball at your feet so that you don't look like a deer in headlights every time the ball is passed back to you.

Lots of proffessional defenders struggle to do it so not sure why you expect keepers to be any good at it.

Lots of proffessional defenders struggle to do it so not sure why you expect keepers to be any good at it.

I'd expect all footballers to be good at it. It's a pretty big part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

gafferino wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/176021-gerrard-it-didn-t-come-down-to-basel

Gerrard was asked whether he felt Liverpool would be able to secure a return to next season's Champions League competition by clinching a top-four finish.

"We'll have to wait and see," the No.8 replied. "I think what is crucial is that we get our main striker [Daniel Sturridge] back who is capable of getting the goals to get us into the top four.

"We need to get Mario Balotelli back firing as well. If we can get goals in the team it gives us a better chance.

"But at the moment it's a bit of a rollercoaster. It's tough but take nothing away from the lads that are here slogging away every week. Rickie Lambert has ran himself into the ground in the last five games.

I wonder what Rickie Lambert thinks of Gerrard saying we need Balo and Sturridge back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

In fairness to Lovren & Johnson they both palyed very well in the 2nd half. Now they need to try & be more consistent.

I'd expect all footballers to be good at it. It's a pretty big part of the game.

Must be a lot harder than it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

dogbert27 wrote: »
    If you want to look at the positives, we're undefeated in 5 matches!!

Positive - Markovic had his best performance in a Liverpool shirt so far :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

tok9 wrote: »
    Positive - Markovic had his best performance in a Liverpool shirt so far :p

All 15 mintues of it.

I don't buy this is was all down to Suarez last year. Rodgers improved Henderson,Sturridge,Flanagan,Sterling & to a lesser extent Coutinho was a big game player last year. A big problem this season has been less time on the training ground.

Must be a lot harder than it looks.

It shouldn't really be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It's all relative really, the higher the level and bigger the pressure, the more mistakes get made. E.g Glen Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lloyd have you withdrawn that post you made at the end of last season where you lavished praise on BR and admitted you were completely wrong about him? You must seriously regret that post, think how many I told you so's you could be dishing out now, I wonder how much of that post you talked about how Suarez carried Rodgers along for the ride?

You also go on as if you're the only one upset about going out of the CL, you don't need to shout your points louder than everyone else and go on and on and on, we get it.
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Yeah. **** the red card. He is who I thought he was. I'll be more steadfast the next time.

By the way, I didn't 'lavish' praise on him. I did however admit I was wrong. Turns out I wasn't wrong (who knew!!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Liverpool linked with bids for Mirallas, Tiote and either Cech or Begovic seeing as the German u21 doesnt want to move to Anfield.

I think Mirallas, Tiote and either of those keepers would be good additions. Cant see Everton selling although Mirallas contract is expiring and cant see Chelsea wanting to see Cech to us either

Mirallas is a very good player in my opinion and would be a good buy but Tiote is worse on the ball than Mignolet is. A combative midfielder is only useful if they don't lose the ball half the time they get it.

Cech would command massive wages that FSG aren't going to spend on a keeper so you can forget that one. Reina was moved on for a reason.

It's not a pretty big part of the game for a keeper. It's an afterthought....a bonus. Which is why the world goes gaga over a keeper with good feet. It's rare. 90% of the work they do is based around keeping the ball out of the net. As it should be.

You don't spend hours a day having your defenders work on their finishing. The same applies in the other positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Did anyone notice last night, that anytime Skrtel or Lovern, were looking to play the ball, on the ground, out of defence in a positive fashion, Mignolet had his hands up and shouting looking for the pass back, and was extremely p!ssed when he didn't get it? Even when there was a midfielder in the clear to receive it off the defender, and the pass executed, Mignolet was p!ssed. The lad needs to get the boat

I've noticed this happening in the last few matches. There's a massive disconnect and a mutual lack of confidence at the back. It's beyond clueless at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

flanzer wrote: »
    Did anyone notice last night, that anytime Skrtel or Lovern, were looking to play the ball, on the ground, out of defence in a positive fashion, Mignolet had his hands up and shouting looking for the pass back, and was extremely p!ssed when he didn't get it? Even when there was a midfielder in the clear to receive it off the defender, and the pass executed, Mignolet was p!ssed. The lad needs to get the boat

I've noticed this happening in the last few matches. There's a massive disconnect and a mutual lack of confidence at the back. It's beyond clueless at this stage

The whole "to me, to you" business at the back is truly awful and hilarious. I just want someone to take the fvcking ball and get forward with it. Mignolet is unfathomable in his use of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Connavar wrote: »
    Anyone know when the draw for the Europa league fixture is?

It's on Monday.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

MD1990 wrote: »
    I don't buy this is was all down to Suarez last year. Rodgers improved Henderson,Sturridge,Flanagan,Sterling & to a lesser extent Coutinho was a big game player last year. A big problem this season has been less time on the training ground.

If he can't manage a team with the amount of games we have had this season then that's not good enough. If it was as simple as not enough training ground time then that is an awful indictment of a manager.

I'm not sure what's gone wrong overall, but the most tangible thing to point at is the loss of Suarez and Sturridge.

• Advertisement

Rodgers transfers have been poor but he isn't helped by Ayre & co failing to close deals. Last few years we failed to close deals on

- Mkitaryan
    - Costa
    - Willian
    - Remy
    - Konoplyanka
    - Sanchez

We need to stop overpaying for certain players just because there low on wages & starting offering high wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Aside from everything else, i dont think Rodgers dipping his pen in the company ink will have helped matters either.

Rodgers transfers have been poor but he isn't helped by Ayre & co failing to close deals. Last few years we failed to close deals on

- Mkitaryan - CL football
    - Costa - Deal with Chelsea already in pipeline and Costa knew it
    - Willian - 30 million quid
    - Remy - heart condition, the club didn't want Doni Mk2
    - Konoplyanka - Dinpro played silly buggers which is why he is still there
    - Sanchez - Always likely to head for CL standard Arsenal rather than Liverpool

We need to stop overpaying for certain players just because there low on wages & starting offering high wages.

How many points do you think we'll get this season?

On current ppg, it's 50.

I'm presuming we may improve a little after Christmas. I'll say 60 points.

Should be about 7th. 4th spot should be out of touch already.

Cup comps are probably our best chance of joy this year. Go all out for the League Cup firstly and maybe then have a stab at the Europa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

- Mkitaryan
    - Costa
    - Willian
    - Remy
    - Konoplyanka
    - Sanchez

What confuses me about these attempted deals is that we were more ambitious without CL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

A big problem this season has been less time on the training ground.

Rodgers keeps saying this.

It's cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What has Sterling actually done this year. On ITV they were saying he is a great talent, only thing he is missing is the final ball, that final pass. That's kind of the whole point of his poistion! He played great last year, but I don't see the continued love affair with him.

If SG is being slated then I don't see why Sterling is still being lauded. Time for him to either step up or step out. His performances from last season will get no points this year. There is no doubt he generates a buzz when he gets the ball, the anticipation of whats coming is clear. The problem is that that outcome is normally the defender allowing him to run down a blind allay or him making a poor (or maybe better put not a good enough) pass.

He's maybe been Liverpool's best player this season albeit with hardly any competition. The question is how did we get in the position to having to depend on a 20 year old to score and create goals for us? He should still be learning his trade without us being so heavily dependent on him. He's about the least of our problems.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How many points do you think we'll get this season?

On current ppg, it's 50.

I'm presuming we may improve a little after Christmas. I'll say 60 points.

Should be about 7th. 4th spot should be out of touch already.

Cup comps are probably our best chance of joy this year. Go all out for the League Cup firstly and maybe then have a stab at the Europa.

I don't think we'll turn it around enough to get top 4, although I think the total for that will definitely be lower than last season where it was something like 78 points.

I think we'll end up on around 60-65 points, although that contains a bit of optimism and faith that we will turn it around at some point. 70 points this season will likely get top 4. In Rodger's first season we had 25 points from 20 games and ended up on 63 points. An improvement like that will see him safe in the job for next season I expect - just, although if this funk continues into mid January or so it might be bad enough for FSG to pull the plug, although I don't expect it to happen.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    By the way, I didn't 'lavish' praise on him. I did however admit I was wrong. Turns out I wasn't wrong (who knew!!).

This is the kind of reactionary rubbish this thread is awash with.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rodgers keeps saying this.

It's cringeworthy.

Exactly, if he needs a full week to get his team playing to an acceptable performance level then he should go back to Swansea.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    This is the kind of reactionary rubbish this thread is awash with.

What's your take on everything?
    No crisis? Doing as well as can be expected?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Such hubris! If Liverpool finish 4th with a sparkling second half of the season you'll have to say you were wrong again!

Such hubris! If Liverpool finish 4th with a sparkling second half of the season you'll have to say you were wrong again!

How likely do you think it is Liverpool will click & get 4th place?

I'm going with 1% chance

It's all relative really, the higher the level and bigger the pressure, the more mistakes get made. E.g Glen Johnson.

I agree it's more difficult for defenders but in Mignolet's case most times when he gets the ball he has the choice of a pass to two centre backs or Allen/Gerrard/Lucas dropping deep. Mignolet or any keeper should be able to complete a pass to one of these options fairly comfortably, even under pressure. It shouldn't be some kind of special trait in a keeper.

Also comparing it to defenders training in finishing is just silly. A defender will find themselves in that position very rarely. Every player will pass the ball in almost every match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Someone at the club has to stand up and acknowledge the mistakes made with this transfer strategy and save our season. As we are out of the CL now I don't know how good of a striker we can get but a quality one has to be bought in January. Bringing in Origi wont cut it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Every player will pass the ball in almost every match.
    Unless your name is Mario Ballotelli

gucci wrote: »
    Unless your name is Mario Ballotelli

He's too busy delivering post or some such sh*te.

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't think we'll turn it around enough to get top 4, although I think the total for that will definitely be lower than last season where it was something like 78 points.

I think we'll end up on around 60-65 points, although that contains a bit of optimism and faith that we will turn it around at some point. 70 points this season will likely get top 4. In Rodger's first season we had 25 points from 20 games and ended up on 63 points. An improvement like that will see him safe in the job for next season I expect - just, although if this funk continues into mid January or so it might be bad enough for FSG to pull the plug, although I don't expect it to happen.

If we won a trophy and ended on that many points I'd be happy enough as a fan tbh. Love to get to a cup final in person

I don't see how the transfers made in the summer can be seen as failures when the manager doesn't play them.

Lallana, Markovic, Can, Moreno have only featured sporadically.

Ballotelli and Lovren been the let downs so far.

Just bloody play the top former 4 and give the kids a chance too. That would give me some hope for the future anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Is everyone still thinking Coutinho is a great player?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement