Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

amiable wrote: »
    Sturridge is getting better every week he is out. If he misses the whole season he'll be better than Suarez

I think he got 10 goals in 10 games when Suarez was suspended. He has looked good for England and we scored 6 goals against southampton city and spurs and looked a totally different team than we have since he got injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

The only name on that list open to him/committee in the summer was Bony. The Remy deal was pulled for some reason and plenty of us have heard the rumours why. Can you imagine the sh1tstorm if Benteke was signed while injured?
    Liverpool should have offered massive money for Alexis Sanchez. No idea if they did but knowing FSG I doubt they did

Remy was snapped up by Chelsea and then scored 2 goals in the 3 senior games he's played any meaningful amount of time (before getting injured). Benteke did enough to warrant his rating in the last few years regardless of whether or not he was out injured. He's back and playing great for Villa.

I don't think anyone could say these two players were a 50/50 risk.

We can talk about the big strikers in world football but it's quite obvious FSG are not prepared to start paying big wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dayum wrote: »
    Remy was snapped up by Chelsea and then scored 2 goals in the 3 senior games

Well he is hardly going to play under 21's now is he being 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Remy was snapped up by Chelsea and then scored 2 goals in the 3 senior games he's played any meaningful amount of time (before getting injured). Benteke did enough to warrant his rating in the last few years regardless of whether or not he was out injured. He's back and playing great for Villa.

I don't think anyone could say these two players were a 50/50 risk.

We can talk about the big strikers in world football but it's quite obvious FSG are not prepared to start paying big wages.

Benteke was injured. No way Liverpool could have bought him. Naive to suggest otherwise IMO.
    Remy did a medical and Liverpool pulled the plug on him for some reason. So it is very unlikely that was down to Rodgers like you suggested in your previous post. Rodgers seemed to want him.
    If the medical team pull the plug on a deal then I don't see how you can blame the manager.
    Chelsea can afford to take risks Liverpool can't

If FSG want the team to succeed it's about time they paid these ''big wages''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'll never understand how Rodgers, a guy that's paid stupid amounts of money for his football knowledge, has chosen a player that has had problems at every single club he's been at over the likes of Remy, Bony and Benteke. He could have signed all three strikers for 35million and still have more than half of the Suarez money to play around with nevermind the Champions League cash and sponsorship funding...

It boggles the mind....

I get the feeling balo was the only option he had left, and his goal second before pool was decent enough.

Things I don't get about Rodgers is his refusal to play some players, lalana who I've only ever seen play in a Liverpool shirt can't get near the team.

Other things I don't get - mig, can anybody remember what he was like at sunderland, I bet he had the same problems then as he does now, surely Rodgers and the committee could have spotted this, also pool still had rein on the books who was still very decent at the time.

Actually pretty much all his signings even the average punter could spot flaws in most of the signings.

As recruiting players is a huge part of football management and just like mignolot can't catch a ball, Rodgers can't make signings, he can't do his job then he shouldn't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Benteke was injured. No way Liverpool could have bought him. Naive to suggest otherwise IMO.
    Remy did a medical and Liverpool pulled the plug on him for some reason. So it is very unlikely that was down to Rodgers like you suggested in your previous post. Rodgers seemed to want him.
    If the medical team pull the plug on a deal then I don't see how you can blame the manager.
    Chelsea can afford to take risks Liverpool can't

If FSG want the team to succeed it's about time they paid these ''big wages''

Liverpool can't afford to take risks?!

Then what the hell do you call Balotelli?!

What I actually wrote is Liverpool can't afford to take the risks Chelsea can. There's a difference to what I said and what you are implying I said.

:confused:

Sign a player who had a bad achilles injury, or a player who previously had a heart problem.

Surely, you can see the difference in risks compared to a risk on a player like Ballotelli (ie attitude risk etc) :confused:

Didn't you ask the exact same thing the other day ?

hmmm

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :confused:

Sign a player who had a bad achilles injury, or a player who previously had a heart problem.

Surely, you can see the difference in risks compared to a risk on a player like Ballotelli (ie attitude risk etc) :confused:

Didn't you ask the exact same thing the other day ?

hmmm

Exactly. Seemingly something showed up on the medical that made Liverpool pull the plug. Chelsea went ahead previously and bought Demba Ba too who has failed several medicals previously.

Am I right in saying in his time back in Serie A Balotelli scored more goals than any other player? I think I read that somewhere recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just on your summer signings, I thought there was a lot of good signings or prospects as some would say.

Anyways when you look at the players that were bought and consider the squad that was already there you'd have expected to see a move to a 4-2-3-1 formation. The players brought in never looked like they suited a 4-3-3 and that seems to be what Rogers has tried to play. The signing of Balotelli surprised me because he just didn't seem like somebody that would suit the system.
    Mignolet/Jones

Johnson/Manquillo Lovren/Skrtel Sakho/Toure Moreno/Enrique
    Lucas/Allen
    Gerrard/Henderson/Can
    Sterling
    Markovic/Suso
    Lallana/Coutinho
    Sturridge/Balotelli/Lambert/Borini
    I haven't a clue what the man was trying to do last night with the team he started with. Its like a team you would put up if you were setting up for a draw but Liverpool had to win last night. It seems to me that Rogers has lost his way but to be fair Sturridge has been missing and he was the most important player coming into this season with the loss of Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'll never understand how Rodgers, a guy that's paid stupid amounts of money for his football knowledge, has chosen a player that has had problems at every single club he's been at over the likes of Remy, Bony and Benteke. He could have signed all three strikers for 35million and still have more than half of the Suarez money to play around with nevermind the Champions League cash and sponsorship funding...

It boggles the mind....

He didn't choose Ballotelli. He's made it clear the options he was given towards the end of the transfer window were Ballotelli or nobody and we badly needed somebody.

Now how we ended up in the position of Ballotelli or nobody is another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

What has any of that got to do with current performance?

Carragher played on for 2-3 seasons beyond his sell by date, the fact Gerrard is still a regular let alone a key player is a key indicator of why Liverpool are where they are at. Nostalgic sentimentality merchants.

I'm perplexed at how the example you provided re Carragher has not enlightened you to the contribution of highly skilled & experienced team members, regardless of their waning physical condition.. I would consider playing Carragher at the weekend if he has been playing 5-a-side since retiring. :D

Gerrard still has more critical attacking ability to GOAL than all the other midfielders and he is not the problem, he should not be expected to carry the team at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

think its fair to say,given the amount of games he has played in,and time at his new club... the mig aint up to it,good shot stopper....awful at most other things. and hendo has gone to sleep since becoming vc. also the players deserve just as much heat as the manager,they are not performing..they have shown they can when they want too,they just are not .. the main players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

think its fair to say,given the amount of games he has played in,and time at his new club... the mig aint up to it,good shot stopper....awful at most other things. and hendo has gone to sleep since becoming vc. also the players deserve just as much heat as the manager,they are not performing..they have shown they can when they want too,they just are not .. the main players.

Why aren't they performing for their manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Players not performing could also be down to the manager. If you are guaranteed to be getting your game every week then there is no need for you to bust your gut. If you're one of the younger players looking to break into the team knowing that at best you'll be on the bench unless our older players can't manage 3 games in a week, what's your incentive?

The players might also think the manager's a spoofer, some people think it based on weekly press conferences and post match interviews, the players hear a lot more every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Have I missed anything from today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

A couple of things floating around my head about our situation.

Top of the list really is Rodgers. If he indeed had the last say on signings, then he has gone about it all wrong. The players that we brought in aren't bad players imo, a lot are coming off the back off good season or have a bit of buzz of potential. The problem with the players is that we've bought to many and at the wrong time.

What the club needed was a good spine. Instead what we got is a bunch of players that are don't know what to do because Rodgers doesn't know what to do. He's had to change his set up because he lost Suarez but he doesn't know how. He though he had to buy so many but he didn't!

Imo, if you lose a player of that quality and cannot replace like for like, then you don't flood the squad. You obviously have to fill the position but it should be filled in a way that suits the way we play. We didn't do this. We arbitrarily bought a load of players hoping that they would some how work together. Its ****ed us.

The other is they way we go about buying players.

If we don't change this it doesn't matter who we bring in, if we don't fix this we will always struggle. We need to be able to go out and offer a competitive package. If we cannot do this, then we need to bring in a Director of Football (I think we need this anyway) who oversees the sourcing of players and improves our scouting. There needs to be a clear message that this is the way its going to be. No ignoring players a la Borini, Can and Lallana.

Such a frustrating season.

Konoplyanka is available on a bosman we really should be going back for him.

We have been linked to Neto he is also available on a bosman.

Andre Ayew & Hunterlaar are also available on bosmans.

So if don't have money to spend there is at least four players we should be able to afford who would improve the team I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have I missed anything from today ?

About 300 posts, 90% of which are utter bilge.

• Advertisement

Suarez looks like he has put on a few extra pounds since his move to Spain not as much as Reina thoughsince his move to Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool U19s goals against Basel, two of them from crosses! Get 'em in the senior side.

http://gfycat.com/SpotlessScentedAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle

http://gfycat.com/HarmoniousGeneralBarnacle#

http://gfycat.com/BoilingTotalDragonfly

Defender Sam Hart rushed to hospital on oxygen during the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Suarez looks like he has put on a few extra pounds since his move to Spain not as much as Reina thoughsince his move to Germany.

Probably a side effect of the supplements every one but 'Ronnie' is on over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Players not performing could also be down to the manager. If you are guaranteed to be getting your game every week then there is no need for you to bust your gut. If you're one of the younger players looking to break into the team knowing that at best you'll be on the bench unless our older players can't manage 3 games in a week, what's your incentive?

The players might also think the manager's a spoofer, some people think it based on weekly press conferences and post match interviews, the players hear a lot more every day.

i hear what your saying,but the difference from last season to this is night and day,there is something very wrong,the manager has changed his whole life/lifestyle in order to portray a certain image for the club.. that takes dedication alone..its obvious why its happened and probably initiated by the americans..

imho the responsibility will fall on the manager but its the players who are the ones not performing ... ala newcastle...same players were rubbish at start of season...now their not so rubbish...but have same manager....

no belief at the club now,perhaps its the main reason things are bad

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Probably a side effect of the supplements every one but 'Ronnie' is on over there.

LZ9GIqY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would love Nainggolan at Liverpool. Been superb for Roma the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Gervinho playing well v city. Would yis have him lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

MD1990 wrote: »

A few nainggolans, be grand.

So if don't have money to spend there is at least four players we should be able to afford who would improve the team I believe.

Joe Cole and Jovanovic ended up costing Liverpool a fortune having signed for ''Free''

There's been rumours that Konoplyanka's club might have an option for a further year. They seem a difficult club to deal with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Was really excited by the prospect of Kono last Christmas but doubt either we'd go for him or he'd come. Things are a mess at the club right now and no CL to offer anymore.

Joe Cole and Jovanovic ended up costing Liverpool a fortune having signed for ''Free''

There's been rumours that Konoplyanka's club might have an option for a further year. They seem a difficult club to deal with.

Well it does look like the summer signings have cost Liverpool a fortune as well.

But at least Liverpool didn't break a wage structure for them.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »

Bit of a red card waiting to happen though. Doing some crazy tackles in city game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

hadepsx wrote: »
    Bit of a red card waiting to happen though. Doing some crazy tackles in city game

Love that in a midfielder, loads of fight in him. Brilliant player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Thanks for that. Now go to bed,you've got school in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Has this article been posted yet? Sums up so many of the issues IMO.

Delusions of grandeur

If you take out last season, which is clear was a bit of a freak finish of a one man team, then the average final position in the Premiership for the last 5 years has been seventh.

Yet the club has treated the result last season as a return to normality. It was like they were entitled to be spoken in the same breath as Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich.

In reality this season is shaping up to match the status quo of the last five. Tight games against mid-table opposition. Flirting around the Europa league spots. Mediocre purchases.

I have certain sympathies for the fans but expectations seem so out of line reality. The telegraph article hits the nail on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Thanks for that. Now go to bed,you've got school in the morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ0Sxr2gvV8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A warning to not just shadowcomplex but the handful of Man United fans who this applies too....

Cut out the dropping in to the topic like this and trying to provoke Pool fans. Its pretty obvious this is going to be a busy week for the mods, so I'm issuing this warning now. If you want to discuss Liverpool, feel free to do so in a constructive manner. If you want to troll, prepare to get carded and not be posting come match day.

(This obviously goes for Pool fans heading to the United thread too, which, in fairness, hasn't been a problem yet).

EDIT: And to the Pool fans, don't respond and get baited into it. Report and ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

quarryman wrote: »
    Has this article been posted yet? Sums up so many of the issues IMO.

Delusions of grandeur

If you take out last season, which is clear was a bit of a freak finish of a one man team, then the average final position in the Premiership for the last 5 years has been seventh.

Yet the club has treated the result last season as a return to normality. It was like they were entitled to be spoken in the same breath as Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich.

In reality this season is shaping up to match the status quo of the last five. Tight games against mid-table opposition. Flirting around the Europa league spots. Mediocre purchases.

I have certain sympathies for the fans but expectations seem so out of line reality. The telegraph article hits the nail on the head.

Good article but it seems to absolving rodgers of some of the blame when in reality he harbours most of it for me. Blaming the transfer committee is all well and good but theres no way in hell we should be playing this badly down to the incomings. Our problems stem from rodgers stubbornness and playing politics with the club regards transfers.

Liverpool forward Raheem Sterling 'nowhere near agreement' over new deal despite £70,000-a-week offer.
    After being offered a weekly payrise of £40,000, Liverpool youngster is understood to be unhappy with £70,000 a week wages following disappointing Champions League exit
    In the wake of their Champions League exit, Liverpool need to make a statement of intent quickly about their ambitions and that means sorting out Raheem Sterling’s future. Liverpool and Sterling are “nowhere near any agreement” on a new contract, according to a source close to negotiations, although there are hopes of an eventual resolution.
    Sterling faces his 100th game for Liverpool against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday and has been one of their stars of 2014. Sterling, who turned 20 on Monday, dovetailed brilliantly with Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suárez last season and, following a brief dip, signaled his talent again in recent games, particularly in the win over Leicester City last week. His form has not been at last season’s phenomenal levels but he represents a vital part of Liverpool’s future.
    He played out on the right against Basel and then centre-forward but any praise for his selflessness and versatility was lost amidst Liverpool’s dismay at bowing out of the Champions League. With Sturridge injured, Suárez transferred to Barcelona and Mario Balotelli yet to justify his £16m purchase, Sterling has become even more important. He is a beacon of hope in difficult times for Liverpool.
    Liverpool have been keen to tie down their most valuable player to a long-term deal. Sterling, whose current deal has more than two years left to run, is on roughly £30,000 with assorted first-team appearance bonuses. Liverpool’s new offer is understood to be £70,000 a week with handsome bonuses for progress in the major competitions

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11286529/Liverpool-forward-Raheem-Sterling-nowhere-near-agreement-over-new-deal-despite-70000-a-week-offer.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

100 games for the club by the age of 20 is pretty impressive you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Dicking around with Sterlings contract offer :(

No doubt if we lose him many here will rationalise it & protest he wouldn't be worth the big wages :rolleyes:

Free?. Come on rte get the players' name right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Andre Schurrle scored tonight for Chelsea. He's struggling to get many minutes for Chelsea this season. No doubt he'll be back on the bench this weekend for the Hull game. I wonder if there's a chance he could be bought in January? I reckon if Pool can afford his wages he'd be a great signing for them.

Pighead wrote: »
    Andre Schurrle scored tonight for Chelsea. He's struggling to get many minutes for Chelsea this season. No doubt he'll be back on the bench this weekend for the Hull game. I wonder if there's a chance he could be bought in January? I reckon if Pool can afford his wages he'd be a great signing for them.

That's part of our problem.

The lads on RTE were positive!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Depressing but nothing inaccurate in here.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/james-pearce-liverpool-fc-how-8268387#ICID=sharebar_twitter

I can imagine a lot of the glee Liverpool fans were throwing at utd fans last March will come firing right back now. All in the game, yo I guess.

The last line of that article is one I've been thinking for a while.
    If the sight of a United side hell-bent on revenge doesn’t awake Liverpool from their season-long slumber then nothing will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

So, is it safe to post here yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

5live wrote: »
    So, is it safe to post here yet?

Was it ever ?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Dicking around with Sterlings contract offer :(

No doubt if we lose him many here will rationalise it & protest he wouldn't be worth the big wages :rolleyes:

Too right. No rush to get it done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement