Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning in OP, 10/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I remember one year under Houillier we went to OT in horrendus form and Danny Murphy looped one into the top corner for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It's depressingly simple, Suarez and Sturridge were so important to us last year, cannot be overstated. More or less lost both of them for the majority of the season with one gone and the other not fit or on the sidelines.

We replaced them with players who aren't good enough (lambert) or aren't good enough yet.

All the pace and guile has been removed at the top end of the pitch and the team is buckling back into itself under the pressure. With lambert or whoever else playing centrally up front Sterling finds himself isolated.

Absentees plus poor transfers = Hodgon-esque muck.

Sack Rodgers? No way

Improving the transfer policy is a must. Imperative.

Nice post really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

5starpool wrote: »
    Depressing but nothing inaccurate in here.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/james-pearce-liverpool-fc-how-8268387#ICID=sharebar_twitter

I can imagine a lot of the glee Liverpool fans were throwing at utd fans last March will come firing right back now. All in the game, yo I guess.

The last line of that article is one I've been thinking for a while.

I dunno, we've been through it all before, we're well used to this sh1te. United's collapse last year was pure panto, geezers flying planes over Old Trafford and all. Some craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I remember one year under Houillier we went to OT in horrendus form and Danny Murphy looped one into the top corner for the win.

I don't think anyone is taking Sunday's match for granted. Form usually means nothing in these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Dicking around with Sterlings contract offer :(

No doubt if we lose him many here will rationalise it & protest he wouldn't be worth the big wages :rolleyes:

He only signed a renewal last year and tbh he's not playing like a player worth £70,000 a week.

I'm sick of this crap from players who demand everything when they have done fcuk all. Delusions of grandeur indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So it looks like Sterling (Or his agent) are trying to bend Liverpool over a barrell.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Vicxas wrote: »
    So it looks like Sterling (Or his agent) are trying to bend Liverpool over a barrell.....

If we want to keep him we'll need to cough up. Hardly surprising tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If we want to keep him we'll need to cough up. Hardly surprising tbh.

Absolutely, but im wondering if they're trying to be extortionate about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Vicxas wrote: »
    Absolutely, but im wondering if they're trying to be extortionate about it.

if they are? Of course they are, he is one of the best prospects in world football and they know clubs like Chelsea, Barca et al will be sniffing around, and if he goes on a free then they'll get paid more.

Now, either Liverpool think he's worth it, or they don't.

At the moment there doesn't seem to be much choice, because if you remove Sterling from that current squad then all you are really left with is Sturridge who is anywhere near the level required, and it then becomes even harder to attract other talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not worth £70,000 a week at present, although the manager would have to take the blame for that since he took the credit for his improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Its clear Sterling is going to be a fantastic player. He's already a key member of the team. Sign him up as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Not worth £70,000 a week at present, although the manager would have to take the blame for that since he took the credit for his improvement.

What's Glen Johnson on again?
    So Sterling runs his guts out and is supposed to be happy getting an offer 50k a week less that Glen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

hadepsx wrote: »
    Free?. Come on rte get the players' name right
    brevity wrote: »
    The lads on RTE were positive!

I don't watch RTE :D
    What were they on about :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Thud wrote: »
    So Sterling runs his guts out and is supposed to be happy getting an offer 50k a week less that Glen?

That's an unfair comparison for Sterling's agent to make I'd say. What's Sturridge on would be what I would say as the agent, only a couple of years older but equally important. I would want Sterling to be closer to his wages than the 70k figure, not quite as much but give incentives so that he knows he's going to be increasing each season or something. Have a feeling they'll settle in the 100k/week area + incentives

8-10 wrote: »
    That's an unfair comparison for Sterling's agent to make I'd say. What's Sturridge on would be what I would say as the agent, only a couple of years older but equally important. I would want Sterling to be closer to his wages than the 70k figure, not quite as much but give incentives so that he knows he's going to be increasing each season or something. Have a feeling they'll settle in the 100k/week area + incentives

Sturridge is reported to be on between £100k to £150k since his most recent contract. With most reports at the top end of that.

Offering Sterling 50% of that is shocking tbh & I'm not surprised him/his agent wouldn't be happy.

Would Johnson get what he is on now based on recent performances?

yes but if the lazy guy at work is getting paid that much more than you would you be happy to accept less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

I don't watch RTE :D
    What were they on about :)

They were pronouncing frei,the basle player, as free.instead of fray. Which I presume is how his name is pronounced. Very annoying. And giles was saying pelligrino when talking about pelligrini.

Don't know about the positivity.kinda zoned out after that.too depressed thinking about Liverpool's issues thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Anyone see Suarez last night? I miss him sooo bad :(:(:( :pac:

The guy was relentless, like his old self. Chasing everything down, when you'd think it was hopeless. Scored 1, set up another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I really think that if you dropped Sterling into the likes of a Real or Barcelona team, he would not look out of place at all (not saying he is Ronaldo or Messi good, but he would be a very good squad player for them). Having the quality around him would just raise his game massively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

yes but if the lazy guy at work is getting paid that much more than you would you be happy to accept less?

Are the hardest workers the best paid at your job?

Whats your point? Sterling can demand a high wage. It doesn't matter who's on what, lazy or not. LFC have to either pay up or watch him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sterling is getting unfair criticism. He is only 20 & too much is being placed on his shoulders. He is running his socks off every game & needs a rest. I seen an interesting stat yesterday. Full 90 minute games played b4 they turned twenty: Messi 25, Ronaldo 30, Sterling 49. Regarding his contract we need to get it done asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

My fear with Sterling is that he takes a step back and thinks "what am I going to win here over the next three years" and decide that that might be the point at which he'll make other plans.

20 year olds are not known for their patience.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Regarding his contract we need to get it done asap.

Exactly. Just pay him the money. Long term 5 year deal. Keep him happy.

People are giving out because he's only 20, doesn't deserve it, just signed a contract etc etc Just give him the money. We need to build a team around him. The lad is quality. If we want to win things these are the players we need. I wouldn't try to be clever with players contracts. Especially players who could step into another quality team willing to pay him better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Tie Sterling down to a long term contract.

Sign a top quality striker in January to work alongside/challenge Sturridge.

Get fourth.

Too right. No rush to get it done.

Best way to lose him. Why play hard ball with a player who is easily in the top 3 most important players at the club?

Sturridge is reported to be on between £100k to £150k since his most recent contract. With most reports at the top end of that.

Offering Sterling 50% of that is shocking tbh & I'm not surprised him/his agent wouldn't be happy.

Are the people negotiating for the club in space? Or absolutely inept. They'd spent 45m+ on Southampton dross but skimp on wages for our top quality players. Stupid stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

if they are? Of course they are, he is one of the best prospects in world football and they know clubs like Chelsea, Barca et al will be sniffing around, and if he goes on a free then they'll get paid more.

Now, either Liverpool think he's worth it, or they don't.

At the moment there doesn't seem to be much choice, because if you remove Sterling from that current squad then all you are really left with is Sturridge who is anywhere near the level required, and it then becomes even harder to attract other talent.

Agree with this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

He only signed a renewal last year and tbh he's not playing like a player worth £70,000 a week.

I'm sick of this crap from players who demand everything when they have done fcuk all. Delusions of grandeur indeed.

Sterling is one of the only players whos performed at the required level over the last few weeks. If he had anyone at all helping him it would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

at the minute you couldn't blame the lad for having his head turned, his form last year along with Liverpools dismal season this year and add a paltry offer and his agent will be in his ear non stop. Also he is looking over at Glenn the hen in the dressing room on millions more than him wondering WTF is going on

I would like to think so but realistically due to lack of wage transparency, no.

Football players wages are pretty much public so they can see what their peers are getting paid and if they feel they are being underpaid can demand more or up and leave. If there was wage transparency in my job I would thing something similar would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

For Sunday vs Utd I would go.

Mignolet
    Johnson---Lovren---Sakho--Moreno
    Lucas

Henderson
    Gerrard----
    Markovic----Sterling
    Coutinho

Toure I would imagine won't be fit but Johnson & Lovren were better on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

joe123 wrote: »
    Tie Sterling down to a long term contract.

Sign a top quality striker in January to work alongside/challenge Sturridge.

Get fourth.

It might have to be to replace Sturridge.

I am a little concerned we won't see him in a decent run of games in a red shirt again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Mignolet
    Lucas

Henderson
    Gerrard----
    Markovic----Sterling
    Coutinho

Skrtel is going to play. Markovic will be lucky to make the matchday squad after the Basel game.

Lambert will start up front again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Mignolet
    Lucas

Henderson
    Gerrard----
    Markovic----Sterling
    Coutinho

Id agree with most of that team. Id play without a recognised forward and get pace into the team. Apart from ADM and valencia they have no real pace in their team and play a high pressing game as there back 4 wouldnt be overly comfortable on the ball and fellani and carrick can be got at. Id play lallana . Although it seems negative having no striker I think we would be much more of an attacking threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/31/liverpool-signings-brendan-rodgers

Lovren & Ballotelli could be changed from undecided to Miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

pay the money IMO.

we're not in a great bargaining position with Sterling right now tbh.

if we're going to be reliant on the kid for pretty much all our creative spark, then we kind of have to pay him according to his status as one of our most important players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

zerks wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/31/liverpool-signings-brendan-rodgers

Lovren & Ballotelli could be changed from undecided to Miss.

Yessil is a miss and Ilori is undecided? Fairly harsh on a youth prospect who's gotten close to zero time for the senior squad.

Kolo Toure a miss? He cost nothing and barring some shaky moments he's been brilliant for us this season and any other time he's stepped in - granted the article was written on Oct.31st but even last season he was grand barring that horror pass vs. West Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

D'Agger wrote: »
    Yessil is a miss and Ilori is undecided? Fairly harsh on a youth prospect who's gotten close to zero time for the senior squad.

Kolo Toure a miss? He cost nothing and barring some shaky moments he's been brilliant for us this season and any other time he's stepped in - granted the article was written on Oct.31st but even last season he was grand barring that horror pass vs. West Brom

Agreed.

The Fulham OG and WBA pass should not define Kolo's time at Liverpool.

• Advertisement

I love when people put time and effort into finding that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Still out of 25 players signed you could say 2 hits in Sturridge & Coutinho and maybe 3 more passable with close to 20 fails under this coaching staff.

That is a disgrace to be honest.

If we were to have 10/12 hits with another 5/6 passable then fair enough that is a good strike rate in the transfer market.

For the last 20 years our transfers have been 10% hit 60% fail and 30% passable for where Liverpool want and expect to be this has to change quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Still out of 25 players signed you could say 2 hits in Sturridge & Coutinho and maybe 3 more passable with close to 20 fails under this coaching staff.

It isn't though. None of this season's signings are misses. You'd want to be deeply stupid to be writing any of them off when none of them have even played 20 games.

Gbear wrote: »
    It isn't though. None of this season's signings are misses. You'd want to be deeply stupid to be writing any of them off when none of them have even played 20 games.

Signings might turn it around, but at this moment in time the likes of Lovren are definitely a huge ****ing miss in comparison to what was expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gbear wrote: »

As long as the manager refuses to play them they will be seen as misses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

As long as the manager refuses to play them they will be seen as misses!

That's a separate issue.

You can bring Rodgers to squad.

You can't make him use it.

Or something like that.:o

Sterling is the future, give him a decent contract. If he keeps improving someone will pay top dollar for him at some stage anyway.

We should be building our team around players like that.

Speaking of misses. I wish Skrtel, Enrique and Johnson would simply fcuk off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Speaking of misses. I wish Skrtel, Enrique and Johnson would simply fcuk off.
    Be careful what you wish for. If Skrtel fcuks off, Liverpool will have no back up for Lambert up front if he gets injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Any news on Balotelli's fitness?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement